All Comments on 'How to Write a Novel'

by Noira

Sort by:
  • 5 Comments
mel_pomenemel_pomeneover 12 years ago
A novel!

I struggle with micro-fiction and find it hard to turn out 2000 words and you talk of novels.

I find myself reminded of the old story: Mozart was once approached by a young man who was interested in Mozart's advice on how to compose a symphony. Since he was still very young, Mozart recommended that he start by composing ballads. Surprised, the young man responded, "But you wrote symphonies when you were only ten years old." "But I didn't have to ask how," countered Mozart.

An enjoyable and amusing essay, Noira, but I could no more write a novel than be the first man on the Moon! Four stars for a good read - thank you.

estragonestragonover 12 years ago
A Good Start to Describing a Good Start

Enjoyable to read.

magmamanmagmamanover 12 years ago
I could heat my home....

....for several days at least by using all of the rejection slips I have managed to receive over the last 45 plus years.

Then in the mix suddenly comes acceptence, a tiny check?

I keep the rejections, with the stories. Sometimes I do a rewrite, like the Sci-fi I am working on now. Written over 20 years ago, rejected then because the pulps did not accept anything with sex involved. Not even a little bit.

Is anything I write good enough? I can say for sure...it never is, not in my mind. So why does a writer keep trying?

I think I know the answer.

We have to.

Thanks,

MGM

EdwardMidwestonEdwardMidwestonover 12 years ago

With four published novels under my belt, I was a bit amazed that anyone would even attempt to deal with how-to-write-a-novel in such a limited space. I was even more amazed that so much of the info is accurate. There are some gaps--inherent to the scope of the subject--but also some damn good advice for aspiring writers. I give it a five, if only for the requisite chutzpah.

JammyJimmyJammyJimmyover 12 years ago
Capturing the chaos

I really like the wording you've used to put your points across, and I think it's excellent that it doesn't just read as a 'how-to', but demonstrates much of the mental chaos that writers go through.

An insightful, and as a previous poster pointed out, courageous topic to cover.

Good work, and I'm looking forward to the next part!

JJ

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous