All Comments on 'Love in the Time of War Ch. 04'

by jerseyblue

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
Sidney43Sidney43about 12 years ago

A skillfully contrived scene I must say. Catherine professing she never loved the brother she married to the surviving brother she now says she wanted all along. "I wanted you to fight for me", which sounds so trite and shallow, but given the time period has a ring of reality to it. Meanwhile the lovely Kathleen who is beneath his station in life watches and will no doubt spurn him as he prepares to go back to the front on the morrow. The Western Front, where a little less care, a lack of the will to live can get you killed just a little faster than the normal chance of dying in the meat grinder that was WW One.

Are you going to bring Charles back home damaged in body and spirit, or home healthy and full of conflict over the family plans for him? Either one would make a good story line and perhaps prove who loves him the most? Does Catherine want Charles or does she want the family name and the promised future of the son of a wealthy, influential family? And then there is Kathleen, a commoner and with a child of a commoner and divorced (as I recall), definitely not suitable wife material.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Get on with it!

One page chapters kill the flow of a story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Can you say

Downton Abbey?

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous