All Comments on 'How To Be A Writer...'

by Tara Cox

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
tazz317tazz317almost 12 years ago
HOW DOESNT EXPLAIN "HOW"

the real truth lies behind the hard work and perseverance needed. A letter, a word, a phrase, a sentence, a paragraph, a page, a chapter etc. TK U MLJ LV NV ps the best to your little girl.mlj

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
First is to . .

First is to learn American English, then how to form sentences and paragraphs, then to punctuate. Cultivate an ever increasing vocabulary and 'person' and the different styles of writing. If you want to write in common speech do so but with an eye still towards everything else.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Dear Anonymous

Why does it have to be American English? Other English speaking countries produce books too. Yes, we non Americans can read, and even write!

For that matter, I am fairly sure they have books written in other languages. What is wrong with writing in your native tongue, whatever that might be?

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Another wonderful addition

Your writing is always a step or two above the average at this site, or any site for that matter. If asked, I would have said that this is an author who considers the role of author in writing in her published works. You write like someone who thinks about perspective, about vocabulary, and most certainly about a character's point of view. Your works are complete narratives, with shifts and surprises along the way. In short, you are writing as though erotic was a literary category and you bring skill to that category. This article further proves my point that you are a writer and these works just samples of your catalog.

Now, you asked for additional suggestions.

6) read what authors have said about writing and about their writing. There is a lot to be learned from a quotation, which can give an author summary of their objectives, or a quick instruction of their art.

7) read poetry to continue growing as an author. Poets can innovate and surprise with the way they use language, kind of like the way a composer turns sound into something artful. In addition, read poetry from your non-native language. It can be a great seminar to refresh your writing to find the images they use, and the rhythms that come through even in translation. Reading poetry from a non-native language can also help expand a writer's mental context for what they write.

8) read what cognitive or behavior research scientists have discovered about the ways language affects the brain and how the brain processes different verbal combinations. It is, for me, interesting to discover that some word combinations always have an effect while others do not, and to find that the effect can be measured.

9) read what non 'writers' have said about their understanding of language. I mean search for the advice of people ranging from songwriters to jingle composers to ad writers. Yes, ad writers. You have 1 minute to make a lasting impact - and people like David Ogilvie did it again and again. As a writer, you ought to read his thoughts on writing, on the audience, and more. Wouldn't it always be worthwhile to know how successful songwriters like Lennon & McCartney wrote so many memorable songs? Yes, look outside the boundaries of whatever category you write in for insights and advice to make your writing more powerful.

10) go and make a difference!

Thanks for this chance to add my thoughts, Tara. I am so glad I discovered your works here on Literotica, and pleased to find that you are an ex-pat to boot! As the Boss might say - Greetings from Asbury Park! Best to you and your daughter <3

Mostodd07Mostodd07over 9 years ago
Gratitude

Thanks for sharing your insights and your life.

pbowpbowalmost 8 years ago
Flashback

Very interesting because it reminds me of the time I was able to sit down in Ray Bradbury's Hollywood office with 9 other students and listen to him expound on how to become an author.

You hit on almost all of his points, to one extent or another.

Very well done.

And just to let you know, I've also written a story of sorts that shows how to become a good writer using Mr. Bradbury's tips to illustrate the point. It's not posted yet but I'll eventually get around to it.

Thank you for writing this to help the other authors on this site.

pbow

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Great article

Thank you

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTara Cox@Tara Cox
2498 Followers
UPDATE: If you are wondering what happened to me, I have not died. I left Lit. Please do NOT comment or complain about unfinished stories. Completed versions of many are available on my website to read for FREE. If you follow the links: http://taracoxwriter.com Twitter: @...