All Comments on 'Birthday'

by Cinner

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
FrostyZenFrostyZenalmost 12 years ago
Emotion

This one disturbs me but evokes strong emotion. I think the rawness of pain is sometimes overlooked in one's quest for poetic "perfection". The overall feel of this one is that it is very personal, therefore, very powerful.

CinnerCinneralmost 12 years agoAuthor
Thank you.

Thanks for stopping by to read this FrostyZen. It's something that I think about from time to time; if we knew what our lives would be like would we choose to be born? I think that for most of us the answer would be no.

This poem came to me this morning after gorging myself on our fellow poet, Ishat's work and because I have not been able to get something that I heard Iyanla Vanzant say in Oprah's Lifeclass on Monday out of my head. She told one of the members of the audience that his being born was the greatest gift that he had ever received in his life.

By world standards I know that I live a fairly privileged lifestyle, but I would not have chosen to be here if I had been asked to make an informed decision. I have just given voice to that from the perspective of the baby in me.

tazz317tazz317almost 12 years ago
DONT FORGET TO BLOW OUT THE CANDLES

and get you cream and cake and presents. TK U MLJ LV NV

mary_aranxiamary_aranxiaover 11 years ago
I love you!

You know that, don't you? You are soooo precious to me! I am very proud of you!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Excellent poem!

I feel the pain of your birth! Profound!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
I agree

The poem is gripping and disturbing but profound at the same time. Very good work.

HarryHillHarryHillover 11 years ago

life is painful from birth to death. enjoyed it.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous