All Comments on 'Dear John'

by RedHairedandFriendly

Sort by:
  • 23 Comments
Sidney43Sidney43almost 12 years ago

Divorce is almost always sad and emotional, but the letter spells out clearly that the marriage was one sided in many ways. Can't say that I blame her for leaving, not all women would, but she felt the need to do so. One can only hope that her life works out and that is not a sure thing. So, well written and logical at least.

Now, it would seem he could find her unless she quit her job. She was working and unless I missed it there is no mention of that issue. She mentions he had the paying job, but she held back some from her paycheck. I guess that could mean he had a better paying job, but?????

There is no mention of another man and give her a plus for that, even if there is one providing the incentive to make the big leap. No reason to kick him when he is down already which happens too often. I note that all of the fault fell on him for not following up on counseling? Why didn't she go ahead and schedule one if she valued the marriage?

bigguy323bigguy323almost 12 years ago
Well, this is one side.

It would be educational to here from his view.

cpetecpetealmost 12 years ago

Nicely done, the tale showed real emotion. Best as can be in a "one side " of a story. The jewel of this letter is it left me the reader wanting more. You have set the "hook" for hubby POV, and even a final climax when the family gets together -as you have hinted at in your letter. I do not know it that was your intention to set us up for a 2 or 3rd part-but if so WELL PLAYED.

thanks for posting!

simpletimessimpletimesalmost 12 years ago
Tears

Very well written, I like the honesty in the words. I would hope that many men would read this. Maybe it will make them stop and think about their own marriage. I can say that reading this may ring to close to home for some guys. More men need to learn to talk. I really enjoyed this letter, as I enjoy almost everything I have read so far of yours. You have an amazing sense.

chytownchytownalmost 12 years ago
Great Read!!!*****

I hope more is to come if not this is a good stand alone. Thanks for sharing.

PultoyPultoyalmost 12 years ago
You know, at the first part of the letter, I was ready....

...to tell her (here in these comments) "Fine, bye bitch."

Then, reading on, I could see the broken heart and the act of survival.

This is uncomfortable to read, to think about what all isn't said and realize there is another side, unspoken here, but that the relationship has disintegrated beyond repair.

You've done a fine job of creating emotion, describing the dilemna and winning the day with your writing talent.

I appreciate that you made the effort to write this. 5***** from me.

Regards,

-Pultoy

P.S. I actually wish you could write more about this relationship. Both what happened to it, and write about it a year after this letter. Thanks.

RossDanielsRossDanielsalmost 12 years ago
So real

And that makes it painful to read. But it was very well written, and I'm sure it was something many on this site can relate to.

MsTexasMsTexasalmost 12 years ago
Loved it ...

Fantastic read, Red!!!

xoxox

x_JohnDoe_xx_JohnDoe_xalmost 12 years ago

Well writer I can only hope this is from your imagination and not your own experience in the real world. The husband in your story sounds like a real jerk, and personally I would say it's time to call an end to the marriage, or maybe have a proper separation where the husband lived without his wife for a short time, as for the wife's character? she did all she could to save the marriage, it is not her fault in any possible way. Anyway thanks for writing a sad but well written story.

bruce22bruce22almost 12 years ago
Striking writing

Really left me feeling sad for both of them. What screwups people can be!

PistolpackinpetePistolpackinpetealmost 12 years ago
These people were not even on the same page sexually.....

....how did their relationship last long enough to spawn dna? And why do so many women wait till the kids are gone to declare the marriage a joke? Like the kids don't know?

estragonestragonalmost 12 years ago

Read this writer's essay "A Bit of Red", posted last January; this is a variation on that theme. Really should be a novel.

cantbuymycantbuymyalmost 12 years ago
send her a text

dont call, email or write slut - you are blocked.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
I would think there is

TWO SIDES TO EVERY COIN . Her coin is / may be counterfeit until such time a third party confirms she didn't let her whore moan get to her but she for sure sounds fishie . He may be better off getting rid of the ingratfull slut and let her whore moan in destitute the skank

IrfonIrfonover 11 years ago
Can't blame her...

...that hit a nail square on the head.

Beautifully written - Thank You.

CinnerCinnerover 11 years ago
(((HUGS))) Red

Do what you have to do. You are strong, brave and VERY capable of doing ANYTHING with your life!

Jim44444Jim44444almost 11 years ago
Ouch

Thank you for sharing. The pain of your heartbreak is evident in this letter. Too bad so many men can't see that there is more to a marriage then a paycheck and children. I feel sorry for your husband who can't bring himself to accept the wonderful person you are. Thanks for the insight to your heart.

Winter2011Winter2011over 9 years ago
so many contradictions

She contradicts her herself multiple times. Maybe she's just deluding herself but if so make it clearer.

GoodhueGoodhuealmost 9 years ago
Gutless!

Have the guts to tell him face to face,instead of slinking away.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Curious little letter...

This is good bye; no infidelity, no 'sorry I'm a lesbian', no 'I won a lot of money and don't want to share it', no 'I need to find myself, no 'I'm tired of being your punching bag', just 'I'm tired of the indifference, the boredom, and the staleness of our lives'.

Yet something's missing. She freely admits she can't say what she feels to his face, she'd just give in. I don't think she really wants to leave. I think she desperately wants him to chase her, to court her like maybe he did years before, like maybe become the man he once was once but he let somehow die.

Yes, she's suffused with regret. She wants. She wants him, the him he used to be or the him she wished he used to to be.

Know what? Unless he's a complete asshole, he might get the message. He just might take his finger out of his ass and start over. He'd have to probably quit his job, start anew that way. Sell the house, put the money in escrow, buy a place, a completely new place, maybe in another city, or better a small town. I bet he wears a tie. He needs to take it off and throw them all away. He needs to chase his own dreams, and while he's doing that then he calls her up. "Hey look at me! I'm not the same. I'm becoming who I want to be, and I want to share some time, share my dreams with you."

Alas, now I've got to see if you've written a sequel to your sad little letter.

Jedd Clampett

tazz317tazz317over 7 years ago
ITS THE OLD FASHIONED AMF

but I still love you. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
A letter I need to write as a male

This resonances with me so much thanks you!!

DickSnugfitDickSnugfitabout 2 years ago

An Essay into Angst! A brave exploration of Resistance to Repression through Resilience, and the sheer Determination of an Embattled Soul to survive while the Last-Tatters of Self-Respect still cling to the foremast!

Very well done, 5/5, thank you

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous