All Comments on 'My Big Fat Redneck Funeral'

by qhml1

Sort by:
  • 24 Comments
cantbuymycantbuymyover 11 years ago
Did I miss it?

Not sure why this is funny? Loved Boston to Birmingham

jonnyrebel82jonnyrebel82over 11 years ago
You have to know the south to understand.

I loved it. I am a sixth generation Texan. But my family came from Walker County Georgia. We still keep track of the Georgia branch of the family. Cousins are cousins. I went to Lafayette to look up some family history and one of my cousins insisted I come to supper. Must've been about 30 that showed up to see the lost Texas boy.

I am currently living in New Orleans, it's a whole different world. But it's still very much a southern city.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 11 years ago
I remember visiting my country cousins for the first time at 9 years old!

I spent the initial hour getting introduced to all & sundry. Then spent a half hour petting and feeding a goat. Up to then I'd only encountered dogs & cats in the burbs. I took a walk exploring all the open land for 30 minutes.

Then when I came back the goat was hanging from a branch with it's throat cut & kicking it's legs in one last spasm. We had the goat for dinner ... I ate light that day. Four years later dad bought 10 acres. He got us over the butchering squeamishness with implied threats on several levels.

The way I saw it , it was the livestock or me. Fresh meat beat the heck out of the supermarket variants.Memories. Hah! Life in the country can be postcard pretty but it can be pretty real too.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Had to be a Georgia funeral.

You just can't pick your family...but you can be entertained by them, any occasion will do. I attended several funerals very like this one, a few family reunions and one hurricane evacuation. Still laughing!

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 10 years ago
Funny enough to re-read

The memories are real so the story probably is too - I have seen it and been there - or close enough to qualify heh.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Sounds like home

Got a lot of kin 'bout like that in central MO

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

LOL! Sounds like about half of my first and second cousins. Fortunately for me, most of them live 1900 miles from me.

fanfarefanfareabout 10 years ago
Huh, I'm jealous

Another great read Q. I actually envy you getting the fun southerners for kinfolk.

I'm stuck with the American Taliban for relatives.

An amusing highlite of my Hillfolk ancestry was that during the War of Northern Aggression, the only thing the local Federal Partisan's and Confederate Rebel's could agree upon was to attack my obnoxious kin. Burned them out and drove many of them west.

The ones left behind were the most obstinate and to this day their descendents haven't an idea newer or more modern then 1860.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Hmmm

Read a few of the comments, and I saw more than a touch of arrogance displayed. Pity, that. Where I live there are more than a few rednecks, and while quantum physics will never be on the list of things to discuss, I can say that rarely have I met a bunch of people as honest, loyal and trustworthy. Which is a damned sight more than I can say about my progressive city slicker acquaintances, I might add. I suspect I prefer the company of people who would fight you face to face vs. those who would slip a shiv in your back.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago

You could have written that about many Appalachian or Ozark folks, I had many of them as friends. They are good and loyal but if they do not like you you may have a rough time of it.

Ed Grocott

edgrocott@gmail.com

woodmanonewoodmanonealmost 8 years ago
Echo of other comments

More, please.

I just found this story and chuckled and grinned all the way through it. Y'all could have been talking about my family or close enough.

As to the comment about it not being funny, that person doesn't appreciate life.

All and all a very good piece of work, especially if it is, as you say, mostly true to life.

Thanks for the hard work

Woodmanone

KingCuddleKingCuddleabout 6 years ago
More and more...

...what I like best about your stories...is your perspective!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Not likely a work of fiction

I hadn't heard about the rose garden before

But the rest . . .

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Thought this was about my 1950’s kinfolk but wrong state! Funny 5* Tale

It is obvious that this was about the “Peach State” which is about 400-450 miles ENE from Sullivan Hollow(between Jackson, Laurel and Hattiesburg, MS). The sheriff of Sullivans Hollow was “Wild Bill Sullivan” and there is at least one book about him and “The Hollow”. It is hard to get away from there when that is your middle name.

Baton Rouge Cajun Guy aka Sullivan

Lord_GroLord_Groalmost 3 years ago

I know some of those folks. Lived a couple miles up the road from us when we had the farm in Tennessee.

HypoxiaHypoxiaover 2 years ago

My dad's folks are from north just a bit in W.Virginia but otherwise were about the same, with music. You, and many commenters here, are likely my cousins. Pass the jug.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

PGot to be in Northeast GA. I have family in upstate SC with some of the exact same names. Who knows we may be kin. Have you ever taken a gun to a funeral? That’s a story for you!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Fun if you’re part of that region.

Bill S.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

"My mom sat in the front with her sisters and sister in laws. "

It's the sisters that are plural, not the laws!

So, it's 'Sisters-in-Law'!

NonSequitourNonSequitourabout 1 year ago

The "smart" side of the family that thinks the state of peaches is 2 states away from the state of longleaf pines and tar are what I call geographically challenged. Just because they have to go through SC on I-85 to get there does not mean they are not adjacent states.

True story: 50-odd years ago he popularity of Japanese dirt bikes was exploding across the country. A friend was invited to a defunct quarter horse race track to watch 125cc flat track racing. They had to stop the races when they ran out of ambulances. Friend opined, "These people are crazy." Someone replied, "Whaddaya mean crazy? There's a 25 dollar first prize!"

NonSequitourNonSequitourabout 1 year ago

The author, his fans, and residents of his allegedly superior state need reminded that in US English usage, the term "bunk", short for "bunkum", comes from Buncombe County NC. A representative from said area delivered a long winded speech of no identifiable relevance to the locals, becoming synonymous with political claptrap, empty twaddle, complete nonsense, etc.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Dumb fun!

4 stars.

Bill S.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Wut a bunch a …

Red neckin

Two stepin,

Cross burnin,

Peckerwoods!

Jeeze Q! You should buy yourself an iPad. It’s a bi..ear to intentionally misspell words. However, it corrected Wut as sugar.. they make iPads in Jojah (Georgia)?

Nuther 10 on the five scale. Time for a Moon Pie and an R.O C. Coke cola….

Beloved good old boy reader and fan,

Any Mouse

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

I've been to a couple of funerals that had fights. Personally never thought it was in any way appropriate or respectful. Well written short story about people who feel different to me. Which is fine because the world is worse off if we impose our views on each other. Wish more people felt the same. BardnotBard

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userqhml1@qhml1
8950 Followers
Can you believe that soon I will have been writing here for ten years? I never imagined I'd last that long. I figured I would run out of story ideas long before now. Instead I've filed over a hundred story ideas yet to be written. I'm retiring in a few weeks. I'm going to us...

story TAGS