All Comments on 'Ridden with a Smile'

by AStabInTheDark

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
H.H.MorantH.H.Morantover 11 years ago
Well done

Very well paced and told stroke story. A five in my book.

I suppose you are Australian - from your use of the words "ute" and "swag"

But - if you meant "utility vehicle" (which can be a couple of different things, but that doesn't matter) and "bedroll" maybe you could use terms that an Australian couple would know and use, and would not require the American reader to guess

AStabInTheDarkAStabInTheDarkover 11 years agoAuthor
Thanks for the feedback.

Glad to hear someone appreciated it! Yes I am Australian and it felt more natural to use those words as that's what they're called down here. It's really the same as an American author using 'pick-up truck' or 'gasoline', but I'll keep your comment in mind and try to keep the Aussie slang to a minimum for future stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Touching

I love real world stories that focus on the feelings, the build up and the eventual release rather than just the physical ins and outs!

I like the fact that you used Aussie colloquialisms, ute & swag, but I didn't have a clue what they meant at first so it was confusing; please carry on using them. However, I recommend you add an international interpretation on the first, or second use of the term, as appropriate for the flow of the text, so that a Pomm like myself or a Yank can understand, this could be as simple as the meaning in brackets or woven into the storyline (though that is harder).

The same should be applied by some Americans and probably some Brits, though it's always challenging to know what words will not by understood.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous