All Comments on 'Ambiguity and Writing'

by JagFarlane

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
H.H.MorantH.H.Morantabout 11 years ago
Five stars is all I could give, so

... that's what I did.

Every point the author makes is entirely valid - and important. Realism is important unless you labeled the story "sci-fi/fantasy" Lets face it - these stories almost all have a substantial component of fantasy, but the more closely rooted in reality the better the reader can imagine "yeah - I could be doing that" or some such.

One last place where realism is useful which the author doesn't mention, but is ignored and screws up most "First Time" stories, That is the location of the hymen - the maidenhead. Most First Time stories have the guy sticking his cock into the woman's vagina "until it hits a barrier"

Well, that misdescribes both the substance and location of the hymen. Look at Gray's Anatomy - the classic work on anatomy is now in its 40th edition (according to Barnes and Noble) and location of the hymen hasn't changed - it is at the ENTRANCE to the vagina - not three or four inches inside. And so far a being a barrier - well, there are unusual/rare cases where it might be hard for a man's cock to pierce - but RARE

So - thanks to the author and I hope a few people at least pay attention

mel_pomenemel_pomeneabout 11 years ago
Interesting

I hadn't thought of writing this way, but then I don't write stories. If I did, however, I think I would try to follow the points you made - thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Agreed

Sometimes the description does not match, as in a writer describing a thin, petite woman with a 40DD chest. Many people seem not to know that the numerical part of a bra size describes the circumference of the chest underneath the breasts. The cup size is what determines the actual breast size. I fully agree with throwing numbers out for cock size.

tatlockstatlocksabout 11 years ago
Insightful and useful comments.

These stories are an extension of our imagination and experience. It limits my pleasure if the story includes pointless and limiting physical descriptions. I have read stories which lose me because I am being told what to think rather than having the writer suggest what I may imagine. Great post, thanks.

visioneervisioneerabout 11 years ago

Good advice. In my writing I try to expose details as they might be perceived/experienced by the characters, and often sparingly at that. The reader's imagination can do the rest.

JuliaHandelJuliaHandelalmost 11 years ago
Useful examples

Article offers good practical advice to the aspiring novice writer.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous