All Comments on 'A Guide to Constructive Criticism'

by joshy029

Sort by:
  • 5 Comments
ReiDeBastosReiDeBastosalmost 11 years ago
This essay is bad.

:D

Not really, but SOMEONE had to use the obvious joke!

(Reminds me of the old National Lampoon article "How to Write Good"). :D

I would hope that most - if not all - of your points would be obvious to all, but obviously, they aren't obvious to everyone.

I would disagree with a few things you said (although you may have phrased them the way you did to be economical with words).

For instance, when you say that comments which include details show you what you did right or wrong, they of course only show you what **that particular reader** believes you to have done right or wrong.

As for the purported "spelling errors", if a reader does not realize that something is merely the UK spelling of a word rather than an error, I would think that they would be unlikely to think to check an author's profile to see where the author is from. So grousing about them not checking your profile seems a tad misplaced.

Bottom line:

While I think your essay has many good points, I'm afraid that those who would most benefit from it are probably the least likely to read it, or to even realize that they should do so.

Perhaps written as an erotic story, from the perspective of a Literotica author who receives unhelpful comments to something they have posted, it would get more of your intended audience to read it?

-Rei

ErotonautErotonautalmost 11 years ago

You seem to consider any review which contains even the slightest indication of criticism as per se negative and unwarranted. I believe in honesty and clarity.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
OK We get you

Just don't leave us hanging! How far along with Chapter 7 are you? Have you put more dialogue in?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Bravo; I agree to much of this

I'll have to start back at the begining of Your Horse Cock girl series and take the spelling issue in mind; Just out of curiosity. Haveing experience in Agricultural & Natural Science's; & Some Genetic's, I've enjoyed that stories concept.

Though Some plot turns or scenes have seemed to end abrupty or incompletely at times.

But you got better as it progressed. Maybe better to take more time and let the Ravens or Crows squawk for more. till it flows better or submit a revised chapter.

Because I'm a avid reader with high comprehension scores as a kid and now in my low to mid 50's because;

I'm not a OCD Disorder perfectionist with a degree in creative writing or something.

I see errors but they may or may not spoil a story for me, as I'm not that great at spelling,till I see it on paper if incorrect it looks wrong to me but then have to look it up to be sure. Same with Gramour,Sentence structure,Punctuation; I check myself in American or Webster's dictionary College edition English; which is primarily American & Canadian new modern Colonial English;

But does include what we term Olde English or UK forms of words and word derivations (IE French ,German,Latin Laguages,Nordic, ETC) and alternate meanings we just don't use them UK spellings much unless its to be a 1600 's to 1800's +/- Colonial era story;

Without spell check I'm a mess; I have some mild spelling dyslexia when writing or typing and spell as a word sounds not following pronuciation rules;also I struggle Adult Attention Defficit Hyperactivity causeing thoughts and visualisations to run ahead of my fingers so simple spelling or punctuation mistakes don't bother me much.! ! if it doesn't break my train of thought or Visual; So what !!!!;

It's useing the right root-word (Haveing studied some Latin) but a wrong or a incorrect word form or tense of it; or omitted words or a missing a plurality or singularity,

past tense, present or future tense that can leave the meaning of a authors sentence open for interpretation.

That bugs me !! about any writing not necessarily yours.

PS; I read some time back Portugal; lost its ultimate international power over its language to its former colony and Napolionic era, Temporary capital,"Brazil" which now has more People & speakers and writers of their language than its Mother Country.

Perhaps its time for A Universal English, with room for local slang word forms for future writers.

JestuaJestuaover 8 years ago
I Agree with this article

It does seem like few people know how/bother to give actual feedback in their comments. I rarely comment, but I try to make mine detailed when I take the time. I appreciate you taking the time to write this.

Just for fun, hehe:

"Not how it not only explains that it was a good read, but it allows the author to know how they have <i>/effected/</i> the reader."

Things <i>/affect/</i> an <i>/effect/.</i> It's one of the few remaining weak points in my grammar so I'm currently working on it myself.

(Also of course you forgot the 'e' on the end of note)

My favorite part of this article was how you addressed the difference between a comment having quality and being positive. Good comments can be negative and positive comments can be bad. I've always enjoyed dichotomies. As this was a post about leaving comments, I decided to leave a long one. If you enjoyed this, then please <b>leave me a comment about my comment regarding your guide to comments!</b>

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userjoshy029@joshy029
967 Followers
I guess it's about time I mentioned a little about myself, huh? Well, I'm sure you don't want me to bore you, so I'll make it short. I'm a guitarist, not very good, but working on it. I also enjoy what's on my mind or based on something I enjoy doing. When it comes to literoti...