All Comments on 'On Good Girls Who Say "No!"'

by erectus123

Sort by:
  • 5 Comments
hipeeps72hipeeps72almost 11 years ago
So which circle?

I really enjoyed this poem . It had a nice flow and read well. After reading this poem I thought of Dante's Inferno and the nine circles of Hell. Which one are the virgins condemned too? I am thinking number eight. At that level the punishment seems to fit but seems like a place for the whores rather than virgins.

erectus123erectus123almost 11 years agoAuthor
thanks hipeeps

I guess the protagonist (a rather furious young man) is so sick of unwilling teasing virgins (obviously one in particular) and so pleased with whores that he has reversed conservative societal values opting for free love or if not that, then paid love. This is a viewpoint of one who like Dante fell in love and never tasted his sweet Beatrice in the flesh. Fortunately for Dante he didn't see her ravaged by one who didn't love her at all. Of course anyone who mentions hell owes an enormous debt to Dante, believe me he is much better read in Italian then English but the Gustave Dore etchings are always a great accompaniment. Thanks for your comments!

erectus123erectus123almost 11 years agoAuthor
as to virgins in hell, I don't think so but they may be in there somewhere based on sins they perpetrated , but yes

Dante put seducers in the 8th circle which he divided into 10 sections and added prostitutes who had used their sex to steal or do harm

todski28todski28almost 11 years ago
Kind of

Ties in with my poem on masculinity. If he had not listened to social doctrines by trying to buy her favours and actually tried to seduce her as a man then he wouldn't be in the dreaded friend zone, watching other men plunder the depths that he feels should have been his. At least if the price is right a prostitute won't say no.

killamaidenkillamaidenover 8 years ago
ho no he didnt!

No comment

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usererectus123@erectus123
469 Followers
 Personal Bio Notes: I was born in Belfast, passing through my dear mother's loins, and that is where I find most comfort, passing through with other women, not my mother. I survived through the years of Irish troubles and immigrated to the USA after various family tragedies...

poem TAGS