All Comments on 'The Emily Rose'

by Rhein1

Sort by:
  • 58 Comments
adgeonadgeonalmost 11 years ago
Welcome Back!

Your writing style is the reason why I keep reading your stuff. Good job.

More (and longer) stories, please :). Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Reaaly good.

These are the quality of stories that keep me coming back.

tazz317tazz317almost 11 years ago
A STIFF UPPER LIP

man the guns and full steam ahead, TK U MLJ LV NV

chytownchytownalmost 11 years ago
A Man's Man Story*****

If you got to go BYE!!! Thanks for sharing.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 11 years ago
Excellently Done

That's how a man reacts to a situation such as this. Chy is right.

harbormaster1harbormaster1almost 11 years ago
that's a story

Welcome back. You write with great style.

Each of your stories is a pleasure.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
........................

so the grass isn't always greener.

promises promises

well at least she had their savings and CDs to keep her happy :)

a bit nervy wasn't she

MortonGrangeMortonGrangeover 10 years ago
Poetic

A nicely written, poetic explanation for why stoic acceptance is the best response to adversity, the inarticulate rage of the anonymous commentators to this site nothwithstanding.

shuttlepilotshuttlepilotover 10 years ago
I don't know why

he would even talk to her after she raped him financially.

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 10 years ago
That is a story with integrity

At least from him - she had none -

He behaved far better than most humans - we are not a calm species - just look at the majority of the anon comments on this site lol

Well written and a great concept -

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Well written but pathetic story

Why would he let her take all the liquid assets without a fight? Did he not hire an attorney? I wanted to feel sorry for this guy but he just seemed like a piece of soggy bread with no backbone. He let her walk all over him and after she left, he couldn't seem to get his life together and move on. All in all just a sad tale and a strange one to post on this site.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 10 years ago
A Gentleman's Gentleman ( to a fault ) !

This story was a real mixed bag. I marveled at the author's skill at some passages. It was VERY ingenious of the Rhein1 to mix the metaphors of the sundered marriage & ship. To me, the wife was too crass and the husband too saintly, the best version of this tale would apportion the blame out more realistically.

Regardless of any faults found, I did and do admire how this author's narrator never break down and comport themselves with dignity under very trying circumstances. A part of me does wish Rhein1's lead characters would lose it in a more visceral form or fashion. But that's probably not in this author's dramatic DNA.

I'm glad to see this Rhein1 is writing currently. His sad stories have been read and enjoyed by me in a cathartic sense, multiple times.

bobby9909bobby9909over 10 years ago
If I may offer an opinion...

I believe the trend Rhein1 displays by the husband allowing the wives to take the financial assets when they leave does not demonstrate that the husband is surrendering. Rather, it demonstartes that the husband knows there is nothing from the marriage worth keeping or arguing over. It represents a total break. So Rhein1's husbands stand stoically by and allow the wives to remove most everything of monetary value from the marriage - thus proving the marriage is finished and not worth saving.

Now, when the wives realize their mistake - as they do or will at some point - how much deeper is their regret and sorrow knowing that they, by their own actions, have totally destroyed their marriage, financially as well as emotionally. I think this is a great tool to show that the husband starts fresh - without the ex-wife. Their shared life is over and his life begins anew. And if the wives really DO love their husbands as they seem to repeat over and over (and even demonstrate as in the parting scene in "The Emily Rose"), what better revenge could there be than to realize the loss too late and have to live out their lives without the one they really love? Quiet, clean, clear-cut, and l-o-n-g lasting...

Thanks for writing. And I would be remiss if I didn't also ask for a Chaper 2 for some of your work, Rhein1. If for nothing else, to prove or disprove my theory!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
A common theme

While well written, your stories all seem to have a common thread or threads. Wives cheat on loyal husbands and end up with a majority of the assets when the husbands don't argue or fight over them (Both the wives or the assets). Yet you seem to allude to the fact that the husbands retain or regain their self respect. In my opinion, when they walk away, they reward their wives cheating. That aspect alone makes me give you low scores as I just don't see that as retaining any self respect. It seems like the husbands slinking off with their tails between their legs. No respect gained - everything lost.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 10 years ago
Loved it

Beautifully written. Heart wrenching, and yet uplifting. A fun read.

bruce22bruce22over 10 years ago
Beautifully Constructed Story

The debate about the lack of reaction. Personally I thought he really ought to get more out of the divorce settlement but I believe that there was no alimony which is where the so-called fifty-fifty goes skew. But the story as a whole was to use a word overly used today, awesome.

tazz317tazz317about 10 years ago
INTO EACH LIFE A MAN MUST HAVE A CREDO

a good one would be "Any more excuses" TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago

Enjoyed your work so far, keep it up. Would like to see more variety in the reactions an resolutions. While don't agree with negative critique on how your main characters deal with things, it has become too predictable and thus undermining the discovery aspect of the read.

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 9 years ago
a new low in stupid

wow this was laughably bad...

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Cannot anyone be happy in you stupid stories

1.....bill

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsover 9 years ago
gee wow how generous

How incredibly generous of her, she'll take all the money and leave him with all the debts.

Seriously?

The man works hard for thirty years or so (average for Rhein1 story marriages) and doesn't want his fair share?

Money that would make his life easier?

That is why his male characters are seen as such wimps.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
yes it is sad

The bitch did take the money and he got the house with debt. He got revenge by getting over her and living a decent life. He also had the satisfaction she and lover boy relationship fell apart and she wants to him back.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Well Done!

5* What else could he do but become to Emily Rose? I really liked this story. There really isn't any happy endings when a 32 year marriage ends with infidelity.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
wimp

again...

1*

SplitAcesSplitAcesalmost 9 years ago
For the analogy to be correct

Carol had to die, or the Emily Rose had to be taken by pirates. He should have killed the pirates.

carvohicarvohiover 8 years ago
Home run!

I read the other comments. Wow the anons just want blood. Carol was gone. He got his retirement and a house. Eventually he'll sell the house and its content. He'll move on. I liked the end. My bro-in-law's wife ripped him a new ass after more than twenty years. He suffered but moved on, remarried, and is doing well. His kids 'tolerate' their mother, but live near dad. And my ex-in law; I see her now and then, she's still reliving the break up of her long dead marriage, still trying to explain her infidelity, and her mistake.

This is a five.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Pointless

That's the word that springs to mind after reading this. Pointless. No real conflict, no real story, no real resolution, just a bunch of vague, pseudo-philosophical crap. I guess you think you were being clever, and you seem to have several others fooled in addition to yourself, but you ain't foolin' me.

Though, maybe you did fool me into wasting thirteen minutes of my life reading this to the end. So congrats, I guess.

1 star.

killerwhale681killerwhale681over 8 years ago
The best of the situation

He really couldn't do anything.....that's the hardest part. If a woman wants to leave, that's that. Sad, perhaps a spectacle.....but there's nothing you can do. Like watching the Emily Rose slowly sink....everyone knew it was going to sink. So, she wanted to come back.......each man has to make his own mind up. My ex is mentally ill....I help her when I can, but it tries my soul. Rhein1 has apparently had a rough time of it. I can sympathize. 5*

xtremeddxtremeddover 8 years ago
Now I know why ,,,,

this story is in TheUnoriginalists, Favorites.

Great story and writing, really great.

Thanks for sharing on Lit.

x

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333about 8 years ago
Second time through...

Still five stars.

BriteaseBriteasealmost 8 years ago
really good

poetic justice

Pulsifer42Pulsifer42almost 8 years ago
Well Done

Wonderfully enjoyable and fulfilling Thanks very much

MattblackUKMattblackUKover 7 years ago
A great story very evocative

and worth every one of the 5 Stars.

Wish this author would write more stories.

JbRobertssonJbRobertssonover 6 years ago
Full marks...

He's probably much nicer than I would have been, but she'd made up her mind so what good was arguing or fighting going to do? I also doubt her sincerity in wanting to come back; they simply bumped into each other at the mall.

If she was truly wanting to come back, why not make a special trip back to the house or call and ask to meet somewhere to sound him out? It's as if she was trying to think of a place to live and suddenly realized, when she spotted him, maybe I can go back? I'm glad he turned her down.

Some have called him a wimp; I don't get that impression at all. Just a man playing the cards he's been dealt, in a very dignified manner. There's nothing to be gained in letting them see they've hurt you and besides, he was fairly over it by the time she wanted back in. Good story. Thanks.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 6 years ago
Fiction?

"If you just want to bash the main character for being a wimp please remember that this is fiction. Thanks." - So, because this is fiction we can't dislike a character for being what he is?

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 6 years ago
Thoughts

"Somewhere between her apologizing for falling in love with another man and going into detail how it had just happened" - Arghh! I t doesn't JUST happen! As soon as she started having feelings for Roger THAT is when she needed to stop hanging out with him so that she wouldn't JUST fall in love with him.

I'm a little confused - does he really have another woman, or was he just toying with her, using his memory of the Emily Rose? Because he said he never found anyone. Or was that "never" not meant to be literal?

Schwanze1Schwanze1about 6 years ago
Didn't

suck as much as this author's other stories. A solid two stars.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
You have great potential,,

,,!,, ,,!,, for the naysayers. When their balls drop or their ovies produce estrogen since they're pussies anyway? 1)They can sign up with a name for free and 2)Belly up to the bar and try writing their own fucking story.

I've written one story- and it died from blowers cramps.

The second story the Literotica editurds spanked my pee-pee because it started out with another authors work but his ending sucked- so they kicked it back and told me to rewrite the beginning so it sounded original. Eh, maybe I'll try it.

At least I'm willing to try. Might not succeed- but a man's grasp should always exceed his reach. And that means for you nay-sayers out there to drop your dicks, quit rubbing the bean, and actually try to do something.

tazz317tazz317almost 6 years ago
HEAD UP HIGH,,,,,STIFF UPPER LIP

with your ego and resolve intact, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
You portrayed a wimp

I dislike wimps, so I disliked your character and the whole story which is absolutely cliche. I think I 've read this same story at least ten times, in much better version than this one you wrote (meaning not a wimpy version like this one).

The problem I think it's not the story but you. If you think you didn't write a wimp, then you need professional help asap.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Ending made ...

...absolutely not an iota of sense

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Why do you continue to make the husband a wimp?

This one felt very British. Hubby does nothing when wife leaves and takes all the money. No revenge , no negative consequences for her actions, just a weak man rolling over like a stricken vessel. I’ve seen ships sink, it is painful and not something you just sit back and go Oh Well. Just ridiculous

Rolando1225Rolando1225over 3 years ago
I loved it

The parallel between the honorable and cool behavior of the British ship captain and the behavior of the forsaken husband at the sudden end of his marriage is a beautiful thing to read and reread. Both the captain and the husband accepted the unavoidable with honor and a stiff lip. The end was logical because for him Carol the ex-wife and Emily Rose the British ship are both sunken vessels in the ocean of life with no chance to go back to. That he found "Emily Rose" means "Thanks, but no thanks" in plain English. He had already move on and Carol will have no part in his future life, whatever that life turns out to be...

NicealloverNicealloveralmost 3 years ago

I don’t think that Robert is a wimp. As we live and grow old our dignity becomes more important to us. I might have slept with her but not remarried but he is a better man and able to control his selfish instincts like the captain of the Emily Rose!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

As sad as the story is at least she had the honesty to tell him and leave him she could have gone behind his back and cheated. He would have been better off taking her back. She would have been a much more devoted wife and would be very unlikely to repeat her betrayal.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Different stories, same old pattern. Wife cheats on hubby, leaves him for another man, leaves him off like a trash bag and hubby still can't get over her cheating ass. I want to read a story where a cheating wife rapes her hubby and then kills him and then the hubby returning from the dead to tell everyone that he has forgiven his wife and he still loves her. "REAL MEN" will appreciate such story

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

So you do know how to finish a story!

You were just too lazy to finish you're other ones. Gotcha

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great story.

hbroderhbroderover 2 years ago

Affecting and meticulously crafted.

This author hasn't posted on Lit in several years. I hope that he has carried on with his life and found another site worthy of his considerable writing gifts.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

One of the comments below nails it. Cheating doesn’t just”happen”.

When feelings just begin, you step away before your marriage is toast.

Bill

KRD19254KRD19254over 1 year ago

Steve was no wimp, he was a realist (knowing once a cheater always a cheater). He retained his pride and scuttled himself to a lonely existence in a world of his own desire that he can TRUST. If anything Steve was too trusting not seeing the signs of a cheating but after 32yrs one would have trusted her until her fait-accompli.

\

I assume there were no children?!? If so, it was a miss to the story.

\

5*****, Hooyah, Salute USN-10yrs frocked CPO(selectee) Veteran

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Brilliant!! and what a way to leave with class.

CDRLawCDRLawabout 1 year ago

Very interesting take.

CrazyDaveTrucker60CrazyDaveTrucker60about 1 year ago

Well done. Last line was just perfect

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Very good story and the ending was epic.

chasbo38chasbo386 months ago

I thought that men were supposed to have mid-life crisis. You Literotica authors seem to think that women are the real problem. My friends tell me that the real problem with middle aged women is that they lose interest in sex of any kind.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Really stupid story. The miserable lack of accountability on this narcissistic so-called wife and the scumbag predator is just basically sickening. Why would a writer make up such a weak main character and such a lame response to the evil done to him? If you're going to write, take a stand for something. If you don't know how to do that, or have no moral integrity, then just don't write. All you have here is someone enabling the female dogs out there to run around loose and think there won't be any consequences. Fortunately, there are always consequences, in this life for the next, these selfish women and the twisted and bent thugs they are attracted to Will pay in the end. But they should pay sooner, with any justice, they should pay in this world a severe price for the damage they've done.

No retribution, no justice.

No justice, no peace.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous