All Comments on 'Mr E and the Guilty Conscience'

by Tx Tall Tales

Sort by:
  • 474 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Heck of a tale - most interesting.

Keep it coming with the main character.

DustyRhinoDustyRhinoover 10 years ago
loved it

a new favorite...

Understated understanding... gotta love it.

I'd like to see more

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
30 minutes till Wapner

A modern day Rainman.....Or Chauncy Gardner....Stumbling thru life....

LeFrog08LeFrog08over 10 years ago
Well...that was different

A rare breed, this Trey character. Not a mean bone in his body and innocence personnified.

lihplihpover 10 years ago
left me a bit confused at the end

But I love the character you've created and I'm looking forward to more of his adventures.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
so what exactly did they do?

I must be dense, but if they did not actually have sex, exactly what happened? What was everyone apologizing for?

gordo12gordo12over 10 years ago
Shades of Inspector Clouseau

Our own Pink Panther series... I enjoyed it.

wolfestonewolfestoneover 10 years ago
Mystery

U gotta have a sequel and explain WTF happened

patientleepatientleeover 10 years ago
I love this story!

Can't put my finger on who he reminds me of. Mr. Magoo? Forrest Gump? Mr. Bean? It's a fun story!

hebert100hebert100over 10 years ago
great

sometimes the most intelligent aren't the brightest. great story. PLEASE a follow up

Mr WolfMr Wolfover 10 years ago
Very Nicely Done Sir!

5* Loved the whole concept and delivery, please continue the adventures of Mr E.

Regards

Mr Wolf

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
the problem in the long run...

will be keeping the writing of the dialogue as fresh while staying true with the character background. I liked the concept of the "mystery man", what everyone assumes about him is only a fraction of the truth, but by being quiet and not saying too much, never reveals just what the truth is. This was a fine story, and I think it fit very well in LW. But the more he realizes that people actually fear him based on misconceptions surrounding his past, how will he reconcile not turning into an asshole? The more capable you make him, the less sincere he will seem. But, the more bumbling you make him, the less credible it will be for others to maintain that "fear" of him. That is the million dollar question for all of us really: "how do you get closer to people, and still maintain the mystery that drew them in to you in the first place?" And is it better to bare your soul to at least one person, or to forever hide behind a façade that keeps others from getting too close? Will that one person be trustworthy enough to guard your secrets? Trey seems like a thoughtful guy, and may be self analysis like this will make good fodder in future adventures, but sooner or later somebody will break down his wall. Perhaps it WON'T be Sue, as she seems to only see what she wants to see. She won't want the truth, and I think even in this introduction to these characters, Trey (at least on some level) all ready knows this. I did like this story, and while I support you developing these characters farther, I caution against developing this beyond 3 or 4 more chapters/episodes. It is a neat idea, but will probably become too predictable the longer you drag out "quirky adventures based on misunderstandings". Good luck, and thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Like Peter Sellers...

...in that movie where he keeps telling people he "likes to watch". They don't know that he is refering to television.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
A great story!

I really liked it and gets 5*. Kind of like the Holy Fool, he wanders the landscape with kindness in his heart and the world spins around him misinterpreting his words and actions to fit their own spiritual level.

Excellent, thanks!

tazz317tazz317over 10 years ago
THE TROUBLE WITH SMOKES SCREENS

is the fickle winds clear the scenes for all to see. TK U MLJ LV NV

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 10 years ago
A dishy preamble fit for for the gods !

and a pity that the actual plot is literary Turkey tryptophan. The narrator was a very interesting character, but TxTallTales kept both his passion and potential vengeance leashed and muzzled at all times like an untrained cur. It was disappointing that there was no payoff for the multiple time frame swaps.

I did enjoy the description of Byzantine interactions bubbling underneath an ostensibly banal barbecue . There was kind of a Lone star John Updike vibe to be found. It's very true that in the hubbub and clamor of these soirées, that it often pays to periodically monitor ' the quiet ones ' in attendance.

Sterling potential story fodder , yes ! But the fuse fizzled out at this accomplished author's behest. Maybe next time for hibachi mayhem.

MrVdogMrVdogover 10 years ago
1969 Vettes don't have trunks with lids

potato salad is best carried outside on an accessory luggage rack...

FullCircle56FullCircle56over 10 years ago
Excellent Series Beginning

Of course if you decide to continue. The possibilities are endless. Like another commenter mentioned, be careful to continue it too far. The time frame changes were different. I liked it.

Very good style and writing. Thank You.

DrallDrallover 10 years ago
Just Fine!

I hope there will be more chapters. Thank you for a job well done.

kakashi524kakashi524over 10 years ago
Nice one!

Great job!

5.

x_witless_xx_witless_xover 10 years ago
Brilliant. What terrifically drawn characters.

As LSD says there's something of Rabbit in here. Unlike so many tales on Lit I don't feel the need to gargle acid to get rid of the taste left over. More. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Very Nice

Although I think that it would be better if Karma kicked in a bit and did some harm to Mr E's adversaries without him knowing. The assholes should then think he had done it himself. That would be sweet.

IronDragonIronDragonover 10 years ago
I loved it!

He nipped it in the bud and didn't even realize it!

Perception is everything. He never claimed to be SpecOps, but everyone assumed it. Scared Wifey out of cheating on him, and scared his Asshole "friends" out of trying with Wifey. I laughed my ass off throughout the tale! Excellent job!

5 HUGE Stars!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Hilarious

Found myself grinning through most of the story. Loved Trey, Marie, and the early Sue. I'm wondering how many more 'exotic' skills Mister E has picked up over the years. I'm also curious if the badasses where he works are as confused as everyone else about his background.

Would like to see where you can take this. The last commenter's suggestion of Karmic justice would be great.

bobby9909bobby9909over 10 years ago
One of your best!

5 * wishing I could make it 10!!

robo29robo29over 10 years ago
Holy Crap

What a great story.

bruce22bruce22over 10 years ago
Beautifully elaborated

Delicious set of moments, though the problem was revealed on the first pass of the knife! He did sound a bit wimpy..... five stars!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

great story without all the bs!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

While I agree with the other about it being well written it was way to frustrating a read to call it good. Plus I don't really enjoy reading about nerds who do magic tricks. Sorry but I don't want to read anymore about him. You are a great author but I must not have got this the way everyone else did. I dunno!?!?

rjordanrjordanover 10 years ago
Forest Gump Mistaken for a Navy SEAL

It had a definite Forest Gump vibe to it, but it was still original. I don't often laugh out loud when reading in LW, but there was no way not to this time.

Looking forward to more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Forrest Gump reincarnate!

Wow, great story, he couldnt help but succeed by living his simple, but traditional values. Great jib. Love to hear what the bitch was up to.

john1946john1946over 10 years ago
WOWO

Now this was fun. And it was right where it needed to be. A good read and a great laugh or two. Thanks

Bigg_MikeBigg_Mikeover 10 years ago
What a great character

This is a great start to a new character. I cannot wait to see the next installment. Wish I could give it a 6. Oh well, gotta be a 5 then.

HatsudaHatsudaover 10 years ago
This was a really fun read!

As my grand-daughter would say, 'That was really cool beans!'

taurus1964taurus1964over 10 years ago
Great Story

I don't normally leaves a comment when I read from this site

but this story require a comment this is a great LW story Looking forward for more of Mr. E. journey going through his life 6 stars or more

( Tx Tall Tales you out done yourself on this story )

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Nice start

Very good. It is my thought that 2 of Sue's 8 intimate times were Mark and Dave. This familiarity led them to sexting. Nothing physical yet. Trey played the innocent, and I cannot believe a person with his background did not at least have a clue or he would not have been where he was in his younger days.

I look forward to another chapter, but doubt TTT would write one. He is notorious for not being able to finish a story.

So we will never know, unless another writer steps up to the plate.

Still an excellent beginning.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
next chapter

next chapter should be each guilty parties story from first meeting to the end of bbq confessions. PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

Strange that the *only* reason he has a loving wife and great friends is because he lied to them and deliberately led them to believe he was a secret service badass, and the only reason he still has a marriage is because he's too fucking dumb to pick up on obvious clues or show some integrity himself.

God, this dude is an embarrassment. Not even a cuck, just a loser. Sadly, the plot is a good one if you don't take the godawful characters seriously.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
A real pleasure to read

That was a wonderful tail. Thank you so much.. Any more information about this group of friends is sure to be equally entertaining. Thank you again.

jackagjackagover 10 years ago
Innocents abroad!

I cannot believe anyone with his background would be totally clueless seeing the reactions and nerviousness of his guest and his wife about the things he was doing.

The apologies should at least have set off alarms.

good story and look forward to further adventures of Mister C(lueless). This could have fit into humor.

Jack

JennyBearJennyBearover 10 years ago
Great stuff!

I enjoyed it immensely.

Jen

IronDragonIronDragonover 10 years ago
No sequel needed, imo.

Why write a sequel? It was obvious that Wifey was planning to sleep with both of the other guys, probably at the same time. Hubby nipped it in the bud, unwittingly, of course. The humor in this one was top notch! LOL

leviayersleviayersover 10 years ago

very enjoyable very 5

elHosedelHosedover 10 years ago
Aspergers man...

...for the win. Fun character.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Almost a parallel idea of Peter Sellers in Being There.

.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

In my opinion 2 of the 8 conquests for Sue were Mark and Dave, so so they had intimate history. What was happening now was not physical but sexting based on what was written. But was heading towards a "reacquaintance". Trey cannot be so naive with his background. That is not logical. So IMHO he knew exactly what he was doing and playing the innocent. I will hope for a continuation but won't hold my breath

MattblackUKMattblackUKover 10 years ago
An interesting story

Well-told. And yes, there are people like that in the world.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Good story, but

make sure you don't go overboard on the naive and end up with him being stupid.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
More More Please!

I have read many of your pieces since becoming a Lit reader 2 years back. LW was a good choice. Your concept lets us feed from our imaginations while following the story line so by the time the tale is told many of us have (in our own minds) visualized a lot of different events occurring. Good luck on the contest! More chapters please.

maninconnmaninconnover 10 years ago
Liked it!

Thanks! I vote for more Mr. E tales.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Interesting story and main character.

5/5. He's not an idiot but is quite trusting and as confused as most guys feel when women are talking to us. I'm looking forward to more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
gave it a 4

but it's a bury your head in the sand story. He looks and act like an idiot. he's told something happened but doesn't try to find out what. He just sits there like a moron. It was well written but in the end its almost a WACC story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

Great story and what a character to build other stories with. Wow!!

connoisseur29connoisseur29over 10 years ago
Verrrry Interrresting.

So Sue has been doing a little paddy cake on the side - or is it the back? Looking forward to the next chapter (s). Cheers!

sugnasugnaover 10 years ago
4 For Confusing

Did she fuck them? What happened? I am as confused as Mystery. If that happened to me I would at least find out exactly what happened. Then I would take appropriate action. These people are full of shit and a waste of time.

tfnnjtfnnjover 10 years ago
5

Tall Tales, as always an enjoyable read. PLEASE continue, he does have some other "talents" that have yet to be explored, should be fun.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Starting to like Tex....by Bobby Gunns

A great "Being There" type of story. I'm going to be truthful, in that I'm not a big fan of your stories....but this particular story just seemed to pop for me. The whole hero/anti-hero thing with Mr. E....gotta say it...LOVED the story. Keep it up,Tex.

HeadguyHeadguyover 10 years ago
I liked it, mostly

Mr. E is a bit like Forrest Gump: sincere, interested in others...and clueless about human pettiness and peccadilloes. What I liked about the story was the way everyone else misread him in a reciprocal fashion. Nice balancing act!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Thank you.

Thank you TX. This was a really nice story. lots of humor and sexy hints. A good reading story. These stories are far and few between.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Belongs In Non-Erotic Category

Loving Wives - Married extra-marital fun: swinging, sharing & more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Nicely Done! 5*'s

T3,

You did a very good job with this one. Weird but in a fun sort of way. I could see Mr. E being a fun character to write about. I look forward to more.

Thanks

Lord_GroLord_Groover 10 years ago
Actually, I think I know that guy...

...or perhaps it would be more accurate to say I know two guys like him. One of them really is just as ingenuous as Trey. A really nice guy, terrific at his specialty, but not real worldly. The other puts on a good act about being the innocent, but I've actually seen his 201 file. Or at least, the unclassified version of it... ...and he never DID actually explain how he lost two joints off one of his little fingers.

Good story. Sometimes all some people need to get their shit together is a subtle reminder of what they stand to lose if they don't. And made even better by being not-the-usual-fare for LW. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Very Good

Fun read. Continue on...

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 10 years ago
Hilarious

Like Anon, I also thought of Chaucy Gardner.

I thought there was no 'cheating' in this tale. SURE! Why are Sweetie and the guys ready to soil their knickers? "Ya don't mess around with Slim!" (Slim was also good with knives! Better'n Jim!)

Waiting to hear about Annie being advised about her duties at the next outing! Maybe she's good with knives, also!

Easy 5* (And it BELONGS in LW! Or anywhere Mystery wants it to go!)

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Anon

That really was terrible. It has zero substance, the "hero" was a loser and the story came out a cereal box.

lonewolf3307lonewolf3307over 10 years ago
You've written some pretty good stuff in the past...

... so, why in the world would you submit this story in a contest? I hope it's not because you have an IQ on par with your character, Mr E. Weird character, weird plot and probably the worst story of yours that I've ever read. Good luck with the contest because you're definitely going to need it.

TXanyTXanyover 10 years ago
Funny!

What a great tale!

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 10 years ago
wow this was vile... its just a GLORIFICATION of a fucking idiot clueless man.

this intelligent sharp insightful guy ends the story by letting his so called friends APOLOGIZE to him... and he has No idea why..

then this fucking idiot is giving out forgiveness.. BUT.,.. he has NO idea what they did with his cunt whore wife ?

and you Morons think this is GOOD story?

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 10 years ago
even worse is this

the fact that the idiot husband has NO social skills doesnt mean that he is stupid .. yet that is EXACTLY what TX tall tales is trying to convince us.

all these idiots are apologizing to him and this dumb fuck cant say

" what the hell are you folks talking about?"...

Even worse the wife has by all accounts had the best sex EVER... and after being together for 2 years she is still having record shattering sex .

so naturally she cheats.. ?

Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioover 10 years ago
Pretty good and original

But Trey is a little too dense. Even Joe Average would realize Susan probably did something inappropriate with the other two guys (really seems like she cheated). So I have trouble buying the idea that Trey was really so naive that he was oblivious to the exchanges and goings on around him. Story fairly well-written and enjoyed it. One or more sequels would be nice. Thanks for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
So what did sue do that the friends had to apologize for.

Mr clueless, did not ask what they were apologizing for. Now no one is that clueless, his wife was caught doing something or going to do something that could have destroyed their marriage,. Some wife stopped it and he is left clueless. Weird ending to an otherwise good read.

extemporeextemporeover 10 years ago
It seems like the start of a long trip.

It's different and different can be a very good thing!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Who's worse?

The character Trey or, the author?; for writing about an impossible idiot. Seriously, no guy could be that clueless; they did everything but come out and say they fooled around. Either that or he's deaf & blind.

LechemanLechemanover 10 years ago
Loved the Story

Liked the play on his name for starters. I found the story funny and can actually picture a guy like him. As to what they actually did behind his back makes me curious, but that is in itself the 'mystery' to this story! Could I be so daring to refer to this as double entendre in the making?

csbr549csbr549over 10 years ago
Fun read

Agree about comparison with Chauncy Gardner. Enjoyed this story.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 10 years ago
Enjoyed it

Filled with mystery.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Wtf

Ok so it was a great story had depth, feel and meaning but an apology at the end? U said it wasn't a cheating wife's tale but a wife cheated on her husband on page 2 and the ending screams out that sue screwed the two blokes can you clarify what happens

LancerInLALancerInLAover 10 years ago
Frustrated

Would love to know WTF actually happened. You hooked me, but very disappointed not to know what happened. 5* for the storytelling.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Masterful

Well done on the temporal transitions, whether it was in the editing or already in the outline it was done perfectly.

Protagonist did recall Peter Sellers in Being There, totally clueless! 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Being There

Yep, definitely a brother to Peter Seller's character in Being There.

theanalisttheanalistover 10 years ago
DOES THE FOLLOWING QUOTES......

Mark spoke up. "I...I'm sorry, Trey. I swear, it never went anywhere." He looked down at Sue. "You too, Sue. I never meant..."

Dale: "Sorry, man. It was stupid, we know. Nothing happened, it was just talk that got carried away....

Sue looked up at me. "Only you, Trey. I swear. I've been with nobody but you since we met, and I'll never even look at another man. You have to believe me. They never really stood a chance."

.... MEAN NO ACTUAL CHEATING TOOK PLACE BUT RATHER,SOME FLIRTING THAT WAS A BIT TOO SEXUAL ?

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Trey is too much of a moron.

It was a challenge to keep reading to the end.

looking4itlooking4itover 10 years ago
Explain please

Tell me exactly where there was no cheating??? With friends like that who'd need any enemies. Doesn't make any sense. If they are all that scared shitless around him why mess with Sue? Interesting story and a little humorous that he remains so clueless the entire time but as I pointed out one instance, it simply makes no sense as a story.

tazz317tazz317over 10 years ago
#2 THIS MAN IS EITHER THE MOST NAIVE

or perhaps the Most Diabolical. TK U MLJ LV NV

thefranzthefranzover 10 years ago
Just Great

Anonymus quite hit the nail on the head with his "Being There" comment. I love this movie and I liked this story - a lot. Thanks for writing it!

CharlieB4CharlieB4over 10 years ago
Unsure

I don't know if I love it or hate it. Trey's character annoyed the shit out of me but I kept reading.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
You can always spot a closet cuck

When it comes to a good old fashioned cucking they are always looking4it.

:)

TornadoTysTornadoTysover 10 years ago

Makes no sense as a even with the humour !

Trey so naive it was painful !

Sid0604Sid0604over 10 years ago
Loved it

I thought your story was great and has been very underrated. I have to admit towards the end I just wanted to reach into the screen and hit him across the back of the head... well worth 5 stars. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Boom 5stars

Love your work TX. As always another tale well told, be interested to see if you do follow up on this line of characters

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Enjoyed It, Thanks!

But supremely irritating.

Anyone care to take a bet on this marriage lasting more than five years?

Thought not.

Still, if a guy's got a beautiful wife and he's that stupid he really deserves it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Being There....

I am reminded of Peter Sellers in "Being There." A fun read and a character at the starting line for future development. Five Stars.

SoleSurvivor1969SoleSurvivor1969over 10 years ago
Loved it, even

lived it! Actually still living a small part of the past, always!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Holy Cow

You have teed up any number of follow-up stories. I'm really looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 10 years ago
This was exceptional!

Very well written, with a wonderful plot and a fair amount of humor. That makes for a very good story. Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
yup, another TTTale begins!

While I think the clueless bit was stretched pretty thin, I can never fault your writing.

It bears mentioning that the rest of the crew aren't all that sharp, taking Trey for a specialist.

Please pick a thread or two and tell more of the story. I think the cheat has to come out. You can't spend that much time with the same group before nuance and slips reveal more than you perceive in one party.

Even slow minds put things together over time, unless they're functional idiots.

Yup, a little heavy handed with the stupid angle, but great story-telling!

illjoyilljoyover 10 years ago
Wow this is . . . . . .

Wow great story, 5 stars I rarely give 5 stars. Like someone said pushed the clueless bit a lot but being that clueless made the story work. I do hope you follow-up on this story with a series Sue's and their friends etc pov(I'd like to see what their view of him is really like) and/or meeting a femme fatale he knew from his past etc

carvohicarvohiover 10 years ago
OK Wow!

I hope you win. This was a terrific story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
What the ..

Sometimes a writer gets too cute .

3*s

AMerryMan

rijubhairijubhaiover 10 years ago
5*

Wonderful, fresh, inventive, well-researched and maintained the mystery successfully!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTx Tall Tales@Tx Tall Tales
20383 Followers
The only thing constant is change. A new State, a new City, a new Job, and new Stories (coming soon).