All Comments on 'The Way Back Ch. 10'

by Alwaysraining

Sort by:
  • 115 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Great

A wonderful tale, Thank You

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Other than..

..a few little nit-picky details that were easily read over, this was an excellent story. I eagerly await your next trip down the literary path of adventure (or mystery, or humor, or...). Just do it.

Fuddpucker

Lonely_readerLonely_readerabout 10 years ago
Well

It was a good story all right, but I think Trish leaving was too convinient, forced even

BigJohn601BigJohn601about 10 years ago
A very well conceived and delivered story....

I enjoyed the story very much and appreciate your posting them in close order. Looking forward to your future postings. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Great

Wonderful story that had me searching for the next instalment every day. Very grateful that you did not keep us waiting days/weeks for the next instalment as some authors seem to be doing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Alright, Alright

A nice story, and well told. Too many side stories, too many rifles above the mantlepiece, but it was a good story. Can't get over the fact that Ann gave up on him completely with virtually no corroborating evidence; the one time Alan needed his wife, really NEEDED her, she retreated into selfishness. Not sure if I could ever get over that.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago

Next time you write, cut out all the bullshit and cut it in half, this was drawn out longer than it needed to be.

dapidapiabout 10 years ago
Not happy with this story

I'm really not happy with this story, The original premise is good but the writing and plot were poorly executed. There was IMO, too much whining and Anne's actions were not consistent with those of a woman showing love for her husband and contrition for what she had done,

Then too there was the way the police did their work, The British police are usually sticklers for following up, dotting their i's and crossing their t's-especially in a case such as this. As a police procedural this story is bad, as a story of reconciliation between a husband and wife, this story drags.

I read it from start to finish hoping the author would improve as he was writing it. Regretfully I was mistaken.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Good story.

Thank you for posting as fast as you did. Good story and you made the characters "live".

21stcv21stcvabout 10 years ago
best of all Literotica

the title says it all, I loved this story, enough erotic content but also a damn good tale, thank you

Tootsall222Tootsall222about 10 years ago
Thoroughly enjoyable.

Spun out as it was it is a true "whodunit" rather than the cheap "push-and-shove" one tends to expect on this website. Speaking for myself (your mileage may vary), I'd really like to read more from this author. 5* from beginning to end.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Very good read

Ignore the detractors. The story mixed in many interesting themes, including an accurate portrayal of traumatic memory loss. I must admit that with the clues you provided that I anticipated the identity of the planner of the attack but you nicely tied things together. As stated, a very good read. Thank you for the story and thank you for the consecutive postings.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
seriously good

Absolutely loved this tale.

So glad you posted everyday.

Please dont stay away too long, can't wait to read your next effort.

bruce22bruce22about 10 years ago
A real fine read

I guessed who was responsible earlier, but could only be sure when he hooked things together. I really enjoyed this work and look forward to more efforts on your part.

P.S. Why did Ann say that she wasn't sure? It sounded as if she had to consult other people... You knocked me over when you mentioned the Fanshaws as being guilty. No way that the cousin could be a Fanshaw, well, er, but it is unlikely.

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 10 years ago
Excellent Story

This poor couple - they did nothing to deserve the horrid trauma they went through. Even though they recovered, they are still both going to have pain the rest of their lives. But at least they re-found each other and all the bad people got caught. Excellent and compelling series; well done.

ron7995ron7995about 10 years ago
Good read

This series was a very well told story. I liked that there was a mystery involved, but also a nicely developed plot. Well done.

JounarJounarabout 10 years ago
great idea very badly implimented

I stopped reading and starting to skim the pages after Ann's "I don't know" answer to Allan's request to come home. Pointless drama for no reason that makes zero sense from the character's point of view and all just to pad out the story a little more.

This tale could of been told much better in just 5 chapters without all the unnecessary padding, which made what should of been a gripping and exciting page turner of a story drag out into something that became a chore to read.

masterj32202masterj32202about 10 years ago
Cousins and Fanshaws

All it takes is for her uncle to be his father.

rcrmonte3rcrmonte3about 10 years ago
Best of the Lit best!

I gave you 5* after ch. 9 & again after ch. 10. This story is erotica at it's best--sex, but not blatant--and not the porn that some other so-called "authors" think is erotica. Your story had elements of mystery, love, wrongful guilt (rectified near the end), etc. I think the plot was an excellent idea--a man so terribly beaten that he has no memory of his life to that point and how he regained a life and his memory, such as it was.

Your character development was a bit (not a lot!) weak in some areas, but the 2 main characters--Allan & Ann--were developed very well. I do enjoy BTB stories--which this story certainly is not--for the excitement, but a story such as this has all the excitement and intrigue I need plus a happy ending. I found the story very lifelike & believable. Once again, 10* and favorited twice.

Hope to see more stories from you soon, but take care of your family, too.

rightbankrightbankabout 10 years ago
Those damn ducks

and their tape!

theanalisttheanalistabout 10 years ago
"i don't know"

after 20 years of love and him saving her just the previous day not to mention him being there for her the whole night and the next day was a bit of useless plot twist to lead up to the proposal by her in front of their friends. That said, it was an enjoyable read on the whole....

Tootsall222Tootsall222about 10 years ago
Must agree...

that it is DUCT tape, not "duck" tape. The author has apologized for the proofing but why do people insist on applying an apostrophe to a plural? (photo's instead of photos)...very annoying given the repetitive occurrences in this chapter but certainly an error not exclusive to this author.

That aside, I stand by my original statement that I think this is a superlative story and I hope to read many more from Alwaysraining.

LeFrog08LeFrog08about 10 years ago
well, THAT was quite a saga!

I'm glad that everything is finally resolved, culprits in jail, good guys in love. I thank the author for this compelling tale. A lot of work and thought went in this.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Very enjoyable read

Excellent from start to finish.

redlion75redlion75about 10 years ago

not sure about in the u.k but here in the states duck tape is a name brand for the grey tape every home owner and dyi'er knows and loves.

ohioohioabout 10 years ago
A wonderful achievement

and a huge, rich, detailed piece of work. Thank you for all the time and effort you put into the story, and for presentingit in consecutive chapters so we didn't have to wait weeks for the ending.

There was inevitably a lessening of the enjoyable tension as the story neared its end and we could see what the conclusion would be--but this doesn't take away from the quality of the work, and it was deeply absorbing for us fortunate readers.

Thanks, ohio

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Thank you

This was a wonderful story, and I looked forward everyday to your next installment.

ariesgirlariesgirlabout 10 years ago

I was saying "Hallelujah" when Allan finally got his head out if his ass and realized his faults and stubborness and what it was doing to Ann.

symtronsymtronabout 10 years ago
All day...

All Day...I read all the chapters, it took all day at work (the Friday Chap 9 was released) sneaking a page in when I could via my smartphone but I could not stop thinking about the characters all day. Finished the last chapter 10 this morning (Sat) Thanks for a very enchanting story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
My 2 Cents

A wonderful story. One very slight nit pick and it does nothing to your tale. Hubby dealt with the staff at the spa with additional training. This was the right thing to do. However, Gary really did nothing wrong. He was acting as a bouncer. He was operating on instructions from the woman at the desk. He never touched Hubby he did not use foul language.

doodlesdaddoodlesdadabout 10 years ago
It 's over?

Wow, what a wonderful tale. It ranks with the best out there.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
dude can you post Ann's POV as a separate chapter/s

How she felt after Allan left her and how her relationship with Derek developed so that we get an insight into the depth of emotions she felt for Derek and Allan. Those hot nights she spent with derek(after all its erotica) bcos i for sure is still not convinced how she could turnoff her love for Derek just bcos Allan came back. she said she seduced him and to seduce him she has to know many personal things abt derek to succeed. so things may have been hot(different and exciting) for them . And Ann performing a strip tease while letting go derek somewhat feels much more than what it seems. it would be good bcos Allan had his moments with Trish and Jenny which u described in detail, let that also apply to Ann's with Derek and let us know the explicit details. it's hard to believe that there was no chemistry between Ann and Derek in and out of bed. please do it if possible...!! i would to love to explore that part of Ann with derek.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Enjoyed the story

Thanks for sharing your story with us. I enjoyed it for the most part even when it seemed to drag a little, it later became relevant. I have trouble writing a comment, let alone a story, but I know when I read something I like and I liked this one. It is refreshing to half to pull up the OED page and look up some words used in UK and not so much here in North America...kind of stretches the old gray [or is that grey] matter. :-)

By the way, it is DUCT tape even though it isn't really much good for ducts it sure has a lot of uses. Sometime you have some time on your hands, Google 'The Red Green Show' from Canada for a few laughs about how to use it. As was mentioned before there is a company called Duck Tape that makes a variety of products including duct tape. :-)

I hope your family life allows to get back to writing again soon.

Thanks again for sharing this tale with us.

rightbankrightbankabout 10 years ago
the train started to come off the tracks

at about chapter 07. Alwaysraining even acknowledged experiencing time constraints and family issues at the beginnings of chapters 09 and 10, issuing a caveat regarding proof reading.

What I don't understand about this is the posting at the very start of Ch 01 telling us that the story was complete with 10 segments and 53 chapters which would be released daily till completed. So any time issues must have come up while the author was writing the whole package and before the first posting hit Literotica. I have to wonder what the story would have been if there had been sufficient time for The Way Back to have been done to the satisfaction of the author. I will always wonder what was rushed, not spelled out, left unresolved, or incomplete.

oh well, I am glad to have been a passenger on this ride and to have gotten to the station. It was a good tale, just wish it was the great tale it could have been.

virago920virago920about 10 years ago
@2cents

l take it that you don't work with customer service in any way the so called bouncer would have been fired at any normal customer based co.

john1946john1946about 10 years ago
Very well done

You answered the questions well, ended as itshould and punished the guilty parties. The way you delt with David was masterful. A job well done and very much enjoyed.

northlandernorthlanderabout 10 years ago
An Excellent Read

Always, thanks for an excellent read, reminiscent of Agatha Christie, with the vital piece of information slipped between a number of red herrings. Also an excellent treatise on the difference between circumstantial and real evidence. While Derek is the guy everybody loves to hate, the evidence against him other than the conversation in Allan's office is all circumstantial, and as Ann points out, subject to interpretation.

In British law, a jury can convict on circumstantial evidence, but the Judge must warn them prior to deliberation, that the circumstantial evidence must point only to the guilt of the accused, and if it can be explained any other way, it must be weighed accordingly. The evidence against Derek doesn't satisfy that requirement, . As for as the British police dotting every I and crossing every T we like to think that this is always done, but unfortunately as a former British and Canadian copper, I can guarantee you that in investigations, sometimes objectivity is sacrificed to getting the investigation wrapped up and somebody charged. Thanks for the best story to hit Literotica in the last six months.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
nice story

I really dislike 6 line final pages, Good story though.

RhomanovRhomanovabout 10 years ago
Great Good Okay .....

Chapters:

1-5 great

6-7 good

8-10 okay

This would be a better read shortened a bit. By the later episodes, I felt the characters, plot, and dialog were starting to spin in circles. It gets a bit tedious when you have to wade through the last few postings to end a series.

It should end with a bang, not a whimper.

GenghisKhanGenghisKhanabout 10 years ago
I had no idea why the 4.8 average points

but I started giving out 4, beginning with chapter one...

and by the time I hit around chapters 7-8, I started skipping large chunks.

BACK TO BRISTOL, this was not.

the author spent about 100 pages telling a mundane story and then the last 1/4 or 1/5, he zeroed in on poor and misunderstood Derek's jealous wife? LOLLLLLL

yeah, poor Derek, he's married to such a cold bitch ---- she even said so herself ---- and that's why he's fucking around.

anyway, off topic!

so, our badly beaten and literally reconstructed hero.... he spend the last few long Lit chapters apologizing to equally poor, suffering, and misunderstood Ann. "Of course, that bitch lied about and poor Derek; as you said, he's been nothing but the kindest of gentleman toward you, while I was in a coma, in a hospital that you never checked on, because poor, misunderstood Derek told you ---- no, someone else FORGED concocted the whole thing to FRAME him and his good name and nature ---- he said he'd checked...

my poor, poor suffering and misunderstood Ann... how could I be so selfish as to keep punishing you like this, all these months, when I should be on my bad knees, thanking you and kissing your feet....

I tell you, I totally understand you and Derek and the support he gave you, when I was "away"!

LOL

Again, BACK TO BRISTOL, this was not. It's horrible.

And who the fuck wants to spend time on Jenny, the "concunbine" and Peter, Ann's awestruck, shy brother with a giant of a dick, by that time in the story, a story was FALLING APART from a lack of cogency, planning, believable dialogues, characterization, etc., etc.....

the last chapter got a 2 from me; fortunately, most readers STILL like it decently enough by the end... but the score (it's an average, so if you started around 4.8-ish and ended up BARELY being around 4.5-ish, you KNOW that story has taken a serious wrong turn, IN THE AVERAGE READER'S MIND.......

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Addicted!

I loved this story! It kept me hungry for the next chapter the entire time! Thank you for your contribution to Lit. I do hope you're able to continue sharing with us.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
One of, if not the best I have ever read on Literotica!

With a little tighter proof reading / editing, this should be on some other place as an e-book for sale. Thank you for posting it here, though. And I sincerely hope that whatever the problems in your life are, that they are resolved favorably and soon! I will be watching for more from you. I have enjoyed all your previous post here on Literotica.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
FABULOUS!!!!

In my top three ever on Literotica. Hope you'll post more stories as you have time. I have found that British writers build great stories. .. Well set up, great characters and very solid scene and story line development. Superlative story!

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsabout 10 years ago
don't quite see it

I still have a hard time believing Anns actions to be those of the "loyal, faithful, devoted" wife everyone claims that she is.

She barely looked for her missing husband.

Turned the search over to a man who was trying to get into her bed.

Decided that her husband was cheating from seeing pictures of him meeting a woman in public, coming from source which she made no attempt to verify.

Tried to wreck his business.

Refused to listen to him.

Moved herself and her children in with a man that her children could at best barely tolerate.

If that is loyal then what does disloyal look like ?

tompo296tompo296about 10 years ago
Excellent

A brilliant story, I just could not 'put it down' I might get my life back now!

Just loved this story one of my top ten

teedeedubteedeedubabout 10 years ago
brilliant

beautiful. Thanks for posting. Hope you sort everything out and come back soon.

Rockyderek_caRockyderek_caabout 10 years ago
Very entertaining

Whodunnit and the good guy wins in the end, albeit homelier than he started life.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago

The story is so interesting and intriguing that, like much of science fiction for example, a really good ending or resolution is not possible. In any case, it was way better than a five.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
so good, so sadT

much good writing, good story,spoiled by a TV ending. Perhaps the title gave away the happily-ever-after ending, but I regret time spent reading something that was quite excellent 80% of the way and trite and near sloppy for the rest.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
I a just not certain about what to make of this Novel

I have read this entire Novel it was intriguing to read. However. There were several times it just did not seem to be realistic or plausible. Finally in a real world I don't think Allan would have ever re-married Ann. I do appreciate the authors skill in writing this Novel and hope he will write more.

George in Omaha

chilleywilleychilleywilleyover 9 years ago
Good story

I liked your other writing, so I read this through to the end. can't imagine the work you put into writing this. The plot was very good, the dialog excellent, the only improvement might have been the characters. You made the protagonist a godlike wonder man. He had no flaws. Made himself rich without effort, came back and just reading contracts med more money. Such a nice guy, so sweet, so thoughtful, so many friends who loved and respected him. Christ reborn as mortal man. In so doing he was unreal.

Chilled

northstanderrhinonorthstanderrhinoover 9 years ago
Brilliant!

Keep on writing, couldn't stop reading until the end.

BfreetorunBfreetorunover 9 years ago
I think that I read this once before but am not sure.

I was too lazy to go through the comments and will make this one brief. It was quite entertaining but I will say that I wanted Ann to be guilty of something and get left out in the cold. The story turned out better as it was written but I had pulled against her so hard, she really looked guilty. Excellent read.

CurmudgeCurmudgeover 9 years ago
Superior Story

Thank you for this well written and thought provoking tale. I was somewhat disappointed with the ending but then if I wanted a different ending I should have buckled down and written one. 49/50 Stars

doug-the-curmudgeon

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 9 years ago
Loved it

five star tale. I will definitely read all your stories. Quality stuff. You end by again reiterating how hideous this guy looked. You did that throughout. And yet, every single gal he encounters wants to jump his bones. A bit hard to accept.

rodmo58rodmo58over 9 years ago
I LOVE THIS STORY

This was a truly wonderful story! I am adding you to my favorite author list. Thank you very good.

ColinthedogColinthedogover 9 years ago
One of the best

stories I have read on this site. 5 stars all the way through.

yankeecatladyyankeecatladyover 9 years ago

Great story! I love all your writing!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
wonderful unexpected twists - well done

highly recommended

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Well told

Very convoluted but it became clear as the story moved on.

There were little hints and at first it seemed like every character was shallow and fickle.

As it moved on it fleshed it out better and it wasn't so.

With the positives and negatives it has to be a 5

arrowglassarrowglassabout 9 years ago
Incredibly well done story!

Top notch...thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
YOU ROTTEN DOG !!!!

You kept me up until two AM to finish your story. Thanks for a great read

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Bravo

Wonderful story. -- claud137

ronlimronlimalmost 9 years ago
A bit far fetched but a good tale nevertheless...

I must say the writer had overdone his plot and took the storyline to a weird scenario with regard to Allan's explaining to Stephanie Derek's tryst with another woman instead of Ann. A woman whom he met coincidentally at the same time that Ann was filling in for her slimming trainer friend (as if Derek's need for a slimming course should so conveniently be timed to have Ann teaching the same course) and then to have her, Derek and his lover enter and exit a room under surveillance with such timing that allowed the PI to make the wrong conclusion for his report. The chances of such snafu occurring must be a million to one but it unbelievably did and Stephanie's PI got the wrong lover in his (not so professional) photo shot.

Too far-fetched but well sustained over ten chapters nevertheless.

BriteaseBriteasealmost 9 years ago
Just read the whole thing in one go.

Great tale and great writing. I can get back to my normal life now.

Litlbigman52Litlbigman52over 8 years ago
Viv: Whose wife is she?

Understand reasons for lack of proofing . Many years have passed since you've written this, so a quick clean up and tightening up the story would maybe get a publishing. Great great effort. Kept me reading. You have an exceptional talent. Hope family is well.

Rhsc1Rhsc1over 8 years ago
Well Done

Great story...thank you for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago

"Ann had been steadfastly working to get me back to her, ever since that meeting in the pub just before the marriage that didn't happen."

Except for a few overnight breaks to sneak back and fuck Derek again, after she swore to him she wouldn't.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Great story...

I was going to leave a comment critical about parts I found annoying or tedious, things I would change, remove, add, expound upon, remove in entirety, etc., but decided against it. It would be unfair for me to criticize the author for writing a story different from the way I would have done it. Alwaysraining wrote a really nice story and I should be commending and thanking him for the entertainment he provided. I fully enjoyed the reading and anticipation of twists and turns.

As a reader, I will say that the earlier parts of the story lead me to dislike Ann completely and I continued disliking her through the end of the story. I still don't like her. Derek was a villainous loser from the start; the kids hated him while Greta worried he'd begun acting pedophile-type creepy around her. Somehow though, he suddenly became this lovable blunderer, so much so, that Allan (of all people), steps in and lays down some huge coin to save his company for him, even providing him with competent people to run the place.

Jenny cheats on Allan and he allows it. All the women, and I mean ALL the women, scheme, plot, and plan out his life for him - regardless of his wishes - and he allows it with little complaint. He gets shoved around and forced into doing things he doesn't want to do by every woman in this story; I'm thinking Allan was castrated during the original beating and just wasn't aware.

I guess I said all that to say this: if an author spends time vilifying characters at the front-end of a story, yet plans on making them likable, even heroes, by the epilogue, then he needs to spend no small amount of time "rehabilitating" that character in the reader's minds somewhere during the story. I finished the story still wanting to kick Derek's ass, I wouldn't give Ann the time-of-day let alone my hand in marriage, Jenny and Peter can kiss my ass then move to another country, and I couldn't care less about Vivienne dying, except perhaps to hope her final days were filled with suffering (it's ok to feel that way, she's not a real person).

It was a great story and I spent hours enjoying the journey. Don't take my complaints to heart - you can't make everyone happy and you're definitely a good writer.

I'd still think Derek needs a sound thrashing. Every couple of weeks. Dirty bastard.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
More

The women are shallow and the men a doormats. It was overdone for me. How it can be real that somone would fight for someone so flighty is beyond me.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
great story really 5*

but too nicey nicey for me, the wife and others should have been involved in his "murder" and our hero was too good to be true, what a guy! and they all lived happily ever after? NO! should have been grittier.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago

creative with a nice twist at the end. enjoyed

silentsoundsilentsoundalmost 7 years ago
Cuckalicious

Ann thanked Derek for being kind to her?

He forged documents making her think her nearly dead husband was cheating on her and didn't love her so he could fuck her!!!!

Allen is chummy with that motherfucker???!!!???!

Supreme horseshit!

This author can write but the plot became moronic!!!

KelteriserKelteriserover 6 years ago
very good

another enjoyable story, but....

Sorry but I would have kicked lumps out of Derek, and Viv for that matter.

But it is a good story and again very well written

Just because I don't agree with your treatment of characters doesn't make it wrong, but did thoroughly enjoy all 50+ chapters

5* again of course

ScorpioJJScorpioJJover 6 years ago
Very good except

Derek got off too easy. He was a sneaky guy and deserved nothing good.

waifwaifover 6 years ago
Excellent Tale

I gave your story 5 stars despite a few inconsistencies.

I find it hard to believe that there was no connection made between an unidentified assault victim and a missing person less than 100 miles away. Reporters and police would be all over a missing millionaire case. The DNA samples from the hospital would also have been easy to match with his medical records and/or hair follicles.

It also is a stretch that he would not have intense psychiatric counselling and a TON of publicity after his miraculous return from the shadow of death and resultant amnesia.

Regardless of those minor faults it was a very entertaining tale with excellent plot twists.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
A great tale except

for the fact the Derek deserved much worst and the huge plot holes about no one looking for him as other commenters pointed out.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Derek changed and Ann is fickle.

Derek was all blustery and antagonistic at the lunch where Aallan first saw Ann.

and again at the dance where he tried to drag Jenny onto the dance floor. (remember, Ann was dancing with the ugly guy from the restaurant and Derek had to show her up.) But by the end of the story he was little more than than a wimp, almost begging Ann to take him back. i guess being arrested for murder will not the wind out of you, but this seems like a bit extreme.

and Ann, at the last she was fickle. heck they both were. they could not get together on anything. she'd reach out ot him, he'd get angry. he'd reach out to her and she'd back off and turn away.

but finally they agree, he's tired of fighting, he knows he loves her, she is having nightmares and she needs him to hold her and he's coming ... to what? a SURPRISE party of all his friends!!! "yea, he has finally come to his senses, he knows he was wrong, treating her wrong, reacting badly for no reason, and realizing she and Vivienne were right all along." "See i told you so. we know best."

i would have been out of there so fast. she apparently has no feeling for his mood, his psyche or what he has gone through. she couldn't even give him one day home to settle in? not one night to relax? WOW what a caring wife.

these are small flaws in an otherwise well written and delightful story.

thanks for the read.

erktecerktecover 6 years ago
Your Style

I

But he started reading your story Sod’s Law and loved it and the style in which you wrote. I went back and looked at all the rest of your stories written here and read each and everyone of them. They were all fantastic. Thank you so much for writing the stories that I have enjoyed so much and I hope that you write more soon.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Confused

I gave 5 stars until Ch 9 and 10 got 4. 9 did not make much sense to me. By 10, I was put off by peoples' inconsistent and contradictory behavior. After Ann vociferously proclaiming she wants back with him, when he offers she "doesn't know.". How confusing and inconsistent is that? And no explanation given. (Just one example her switchable behavior.) Derek is a bad guy his kids don't want to be around, but by the end is a nice, likable guy. Huh? Too many cases of behavior not consistent within an individual. Not all. Trish and Stephanie pretty consistent. Alwaysraining does good characterizations, but later in the story has you wonder how is it the same guy.

I was intrigued to the point of compulsive reading until Ch 9 when I did not get it, and with specter haunting me of confusing characters, by the end was still reading in order to not be a quitter.

Also.skipped/scanned some, moreso by last chapter.

Big strong point: story adeptly told with conversation (rather than mostly narration).

Paul in Oklahoma

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Excellent Tale of Madness, Murder and Deliverance

Extremely well-written mystery with many a twist, about-turn, revelation and blind alley to hold the reader's attention. There are few slightly questionable elements in the plot but they can be easily forgiven and overlooked as the victims of a lunatic's convoluted revenge struggle to find the truth without sacrificing their human decency in the process.

It makes a welcome change to read a story where the main characters are all flawed but basically good people who struggle through their anger, fear, pain, insecurity, prejudice and confusion to rebuild their lives and overcome the circumstances they have been forced to endure. Not a one dimensional goody or baddy in sight. Just complex human beings, not always behaving well, but doing their best to get to the right place in the end.

This is high quality story telling from a talented writer.

P.S. Non Brits should note that there's a subtle undercurrent of humour in a writer calling himself 'Always Raining' and setting his stories in Manchester - a place where the locals will tell you that if you can see the Pennines (distant hills) it's going to rain and if you can't see them it's already raining.

LA

Horseman68Horseman68almost 6 years ago
Wow.

One of the absolutely best stories on this site -- in so many ways. Enough said.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Excellent dialogue

but what a plot! Mother Theresa Allan and innocent whore Ann!! Found the earlier chapters totally absorbing and rated 5 *s but the plot degenerated into mush.Nonetheless, very well written.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

Have to agree with Horseman68.

A few grammatical problems but overall a very good and engrossing read.

Toni1117Toni1117over 5 years ago

Honest to God perfection.

I loved how Derek was able to be redeemed within the last few chapters. It was quite the surprise since he was guilty in my eyes right from the start until you subverted my expectations and pinned it all on his insane ex wife.

johntcookseyjohntcookseyabout 5 years ago
Just finished it again

Just finished it for the nth time. Most assuredly one of my favorite feel good stories. Beautifully constructed complex plot with many poignant and compelling dramatic high points. I only wish that I could buy this as an ebook and add it to my permanent library. Many thanks.

UltimateHomeBodyUltimateHomeBodyover 4 years ago
Really good

Great story, you managed to keep consistency whilst managing a complex array of characters and events.

Aside from that it was wonderful to just read.

And, I realised that only recent comments are shown at the end of each part, so I rarely saw that anything had been said.

UncleGrahamUncleGrahamover 4 years ago
So good....

...this could be a script for a Liam Neeson film. Thoroughly enjoyable, five stars for all sections, and a favourite. Best long story on this site, being suspenseful all the way through. Thanks for the time and effort in writing it.

tompo296tompo296about 4 years ago
Re-read Again

Your writing is just excellent. Thank you for your time and effort that you put into all of your stories. They all have elements of Love, romance, suspense and intrigue and are a joy to read.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Really enjoyed the story and your writing

The whole story is one of the best reads of the last years!

Flaws and positive characteristics, the emotions, the plot -- all believable, realistic and incredibly well written for such a complex plot.

There's one aspect that I do not understand: Derek's character as honest, innocent, morally and ethically integer has an unexplained flaw in his (repeated?) adultery of Stephanie... I think there should have been shed some light on this part, from the point of view of Ann.

Also, I believe that Stephanie as the main culprit in the end would need to be introduced to the readership somewhat earlier...

Otherwise a great read, good fun. I'll make sure to read more of your work!

cybojicybojialmost 4 years ago
Epic

Read this a couple years ago and thought I'd revisit. It has the pace of a well written novel. Last couple chapters went some what haywire. But the plot was sound. The characters were lovable. Trish deserved a better fate than getting stuck in new Zealand. I know people like viv. Very well done. You should be proud of this work. To naysayers..... tell them to intercourse themselves. Lit all time top 10. 5

No one survives the spanish inquisition. ?..lol

Eric

MormonJackMormonJackover 3 years ago
Terrific!

Thank you!!!

golasgilgolasgilover 2 years ago

Thoroughly enjoyable read. Thank you for all the work and for sharing it with us.

Cringo31Cringo31over 2 years ago

A tremendous tale. I thoroughly enjoyed this entire story. It was very well done bravo.

AFoolRushesInAFoolRushesInover 2 years ago

I read this as one of the first stories on this site. It stayed with me. Now thankfully I can link it properly.

What the devil is toast and beans?

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Wasn't exactly a RAAC, but close. Too close!

amygdalaamygdalaover 2 years ago

Wow what a tale, definitely 5 stars and I can only imagine the untold hours the author must have put in to craft this for our reading pleasure. Thank You author!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Good writing. But what a hen-pecked and hen-manipulated wimp.

PurplefizzPurplefizzalmost 2 years ago

Good story and well written, the end wasn’t telegraphed like so many stories, but Derek was a good red herring. The only bit that bugs me about it is his unresolved anger, that is a powerful and unhealthy thing to be carrying around inside of him and it’s highly unlikely to have just been down to his Wife’s erratic behaviour and believability. Life changing events like the one that should have killed him, generate internal anger at the injustice of having irrevocable injuries etc, that doesn’t go away easily or quickly. The line about getting professional help to deal with his anger should have been followed up, otherwise he’ll be forever boiling over with irrational outbursts etc.

Many thanks for writing and posting, cheers Ppfzz.

NovemberComingFireNovemberComingFirealmost 2 years ago

Would have been better at like 6 chapters. The MC was too unlikeable and seriously, the mastermind behind everything was…lame. Really lame.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userAlwaysraining@Alwaysraining
903 Followers
I live the the North West of England, where we get more than our share of rain, hence my pen-name. Before I retired, more years ago than I care to think about, I had a job which exercised my mind to the full. I never had time to write anything but text books and manuals. Si...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

The Way Back Series Info

SIMILAR Stories