All Comments on 'Setting The Wall Ch. 2/2'

by jfinn

Sort by:
  • 63 Comments
sexy_nimphsexy_nimphover 19 years ago
OMG

You cant leave it like that!!! this is an excelent story but surely your writing more!! please tell me you are!

ShakesphereShakesphereabout 19 years ago
Noooooo!!!!

Don't stop there!!!! It's fantastic!!!! Must continue this!!!!

yeti8080kyeti8080kalmost 19 years ago
Actually...

...you CAN leave it like that. If you give a happy ending to this, its going to be cheesy. Readers, if you want a gay story with a happy ending written by this fantastic author, I suggest you read "The Human Condition". The atmosphere constructed by the author here is completely different from Human Condition. Human Condition had sunshine and humor and humanity (note title). The characters were honorable and lovable. Here? Its literally raining nonstop against a ugly grey wall (again, note title). And Max doesn't stand a candle against Mike or Joe. Infact, can you really call any of Max's friends and aquaintances "lovable"? Its a total different here.

Still, I admit Human Condition was better constructed plotwise and characterwise than The Wall.

bsi8412bsi8412over 18 years ago
incredible

I think it would be great if you did continue with this story and gave it a happy ending, but I have to agree with one of the above comments. Life seldom seems to have happy endings. Still, kudos jfinn, you're an incredible writer.

paperheart58paperheart58about 18 years ago
):

Last paragraph brought tears to my eyes.

It's a great ending, but man I'd LOVE to hear an alternate, happy one. I'd be on the first plane out looking for Dev if I was in this story!

Great writing! Love your stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Tears

I really liked this story, but it makes me so sad. I'm a sucker for happy endings. And there is no way I wouldn't run after Dev if I were Max.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
awwww

you can't stop here! i'm a hopeless romantic after a happy ending!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
heartbreaking

but honest. Nice to read a story which doesn't insist on having a happy ending. Reality never quite aligns with the regular happy-ending type of story. Its refreshing to finally read of a character who realises he's screwed up too much to fix things, even if he wishes otherwise.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Pleeeeeease

write more, that ending is so sad, good, but sad, there's too much chemistry for them to leave it like that, please write more, preferably a happy ending.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
nooooooo!!!!!!!!!

the only thing i didn't like was the ending;there is nothing wrong with a happy ending!! reality is bad enough ' happy endings make everything else bearable; please write more,

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
Please write more

I thought this was an excellent story, you're a really amazing writer. Like your other gay story, The Human Condition, I couldn't stop reading this.

I'd like for you to consider continuing this story. I don't want a happy ending, so much as I want a happier ending. Max is far from perfect, he's selfish, self-centered, arrogant and inconsiderate, but he's so HUMAN. You really bought him to life and I think Dev deserves the same chance. You didn't flush out his character the way you did with Max. He was more of a periphery character than a main character.If you were to continue the story, maybe you could write about it from Dev's perspective.

One thing I didn't understand is why Max didn't get on a plane to Vegas by the end of the story. I'm not expecting Dev to jump into his arms as soon as he sees him but I don't understand why Max doesn't give him a chance. I don't like things being left up in the air like this. Even if they never end up together, or become friends, I want them to at least put their relationship behind them so they can move on. It kills me to imagine Max sitting on that barstool in The Station for the rest of his life, hoping to see Dev walk through the front doors. Fifty years from now, he's going to be on his deathbed and kicking himself for never having the courage to see where things could have gone with Dev.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Bittersweet

Stunningly written and characters with perfect imperfections but I wish I'd never read it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Aw

I was really hoping for a happy ending, but not everything ends up that way, right? Still, I loved this story like all your other ones.

Cheers

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
I hate this story

I gave the story five stars because I can't in good conscience give it less, but I feel cheated out of a happy ending or even happily ever after. One more chapter with the preceding in mind should do the trick.....

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
AHH Please add more.....u cant end it like this

AHH Please add more.....u cant end it like this. I love ur gay stories. I have read them about a dozen times, I keep waiting for u to add more to this one. DEV should come backu cant leave it like this Please.....

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
How could you end it like that?.....

What knd of ending is that...its terrible...its sad...you can just leave it like that? As fake as they may be in the real world everybody wants a happy ending.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Beautiful and Heartbreaking!

So true to life and so heartbreaking. A story that makes me want to pour myself a drink and cry. Opportunities missed are so painful, as is the reality of homophobia.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
I HATE THAT STORY THEN I LOVE IT

I hate that it ends that way, i really really like the beginning but I LOATH the ending. It made me really really sad and sad stories make me cry. Can you make a new chapter for this where he end up finding him and confessing his stupidity and his love for Dev.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Still A Fan

I personally hate it when people rate a story low because of the ending. But this time, I was DAMN TEMPTED. I feel relatively miserable. But I was moved, and I guess realism has its place. Keep writing, because even after this story, I'm still a fan.

afrodita79afrodita79about 14 years ago
To endings

It's a good storie, but it's a sad ending.....would be to bad if it had an alternitive ending one no so sand and that shows that Max has the ball to go find Dev and tell him the truth...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago

such a good story, but an ending that made me want to hate the story. I wish I enjoyed stories with sad endings, but I really did like the story. I enjoyed the characters and their personalities.

~regarozeve~

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
I hate youuuuuuuuuuuuu

Hey I want to punch you out of the way you ended your story! I wish I wouldn't read it! Only three stories that made me cry on this: There'll always be music, One single day and this one.

smartbikersmartbikeralmost 14 years ago

Well, I won't say I hate you like everyone else does... but this story really is a heart breaker. Excellent writing.

aliiquealiiquealmost 14 years ago
Okay, now I'm depressed...

Anyway, your writing is excellent, but the ending sucks.... Well, it works but it's depressing... You're mean (but your writing is good)...

AzanianHeatAzanianHeatalmost 14 years ago
Can't believe I read it again.

The most achingly, beautiful heartbreak I've gone through in a long while. Just reread this for a second time - and suffered no less than I did the first. The end is soul-wrenching; but it's real and I appreciate that. We'd all love a happy ending, but I doubt whether it would've made as searing an impact as this one.

A brave choice, skillfully executed and I applaud you for it.

AH

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago

Great story but it needs an epilogue with a happy ending

SoullessCynnerSoullessCynnerabout 13 years ago
Great Heartbreak

I wish it would have ended happily, too, but that's certainly no reason to hate you, or put down this story. I'm sorry you had to read the negative comments.

Getting back to the story: I really wish you'd write an epilogue where they have their happy ending. Having said that, I think this story stands just fine without it. I'm just the kind of person who prefers happy endings.

Now, after much babbling that probably didn't make much sense, I'll bid you happy writing.

--Soulless

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
:(

This story's pretty bittersweet; it's such a heatbreaking story, but your writing is unbelievable. I loved it, just wish it could have had a happy ending -- I'm a sucker for a happy ending. I know this is old and all, but I seriously hope you're still writing something, somewhere. 'Cause, girl, you got talent.

hopkinscmhopkinscmabout 13 years ago
Figured

I kind of figured that this story was going to go sad. It wasn't bad. I would have liked a happy ending. But your job as a writer is not always to satisfy readers. And so what you didn't write them blissfully together again. Now instead of showing us the happy ending, I can create my own when I fall asleep tonight. And don't worry the make up sex will be hot!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Fuck

I hate this story , because I need Happy End! This is so unfair. I will cry...

Change this!!!...please? ;)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Hell of a story. Exceptional literary merit. Well done, Sir.

BTW, being straight ain't chocolate ice cream either.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
bring them back together!!!

u have to bring them back together!! i cant take the hearbroken! it hurtin and sad

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
UGH

I hate this story! You have to write a part 3 and bring Dev back!

yeomanieyeomaniealmost 13 years ago
the best short story ever...

... doesn't mean my heart didn't break tho. Been trying to believe in love since I got my heart broken six months ago and most stories have given me that Hollywood fix, that fairytale ending. But no u had to real my heart again. And u know what? Best damn story I've read in years. U rock!!!

Ex0ticPrincessEx0ticPrincessalmost 13 years ago

Ohmygod

What the fuck.

I should not have read this, awful ending. (I'm kidding, don't listen to me. It was amazing)

I'm sad now.

God, I shouldn't have read this.

BUT OMG I love you still.

Lol

I'm just so bummed it ended like this :(

geemeedeegeemeedeealmost 13 years ago
uhhhh ...

You're gonna have Dev come back for a visit or something, right? This is just tragic. I know all stories can't have happy endings, but DAMN.

mermaid77mermaid77over 12 years ago
This cant be the end

You can't leave it like this! Dev has to come back!!! At least for some closure. PPPPPPPPPPLLLLLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEE!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
sad now

this one brought tears...I loved the ending, even though I was hoping for a happy one.

LittleKitKittyLittleKitKittyover 12 years ago
Oh my god......

What a depressing ending. Damn my empathy! Now I'm all depressed. My heart hurts for both of them, if that makes sense. I shouldn't have read this, but I'm glad I did. You're such an amazing writer!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
I regret reading this

only because it made me sad at the end :(

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Hard when the wall goes up.

I really love this. I mean really love this! Not every story has a happy ending or even beginning. Its good to escape from time to time, but u should'nt for to long or reality will slap the shit out of you. GREAT READ

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Well done.

I have to applaud you for making a story that, well, doesn't really pull its punches. Avoiding the tropes (including the happy ones, sadly) while still keeping it..as real as it might be.

The arrangement of the drama feels natural, while still feels...dramatic.

A really nice change; I am found sad with the ending; but what the hell, some stories end badly. And at least this one's ended in a good way.

And what the hell; it's not like these two people will never meet again.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
cryin' right now

oh please make another ending for those who can't live with this sad story. everyone who is happy with it just don't read the alternate ending and everyone who isn't... help me convince j finn to write a happy ending....

by the way... love your writing... read the human condition for the nth time

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
I FEEL SICK...

I realize not all stories have a happy ending, but this one is one of the most revolting ones I've ever read!! I absolutely despise Max. He is one of the most cowardly, cruel, selfish, disgustingly self-pitying characters ever created.

When you are lucky to have someone love you, you fight for that love with everything you've got. 'til the very last minute Dav was still fighting to keep their relationship alive. Dav would not have told him where he was going if he had not wanted Max to come find him. And what does Max do? His pity-party in full swing he sleeps around and sits at a bar waiting for Dav to come groveling back. Why not go see Dav, explain things and give him the oportunity to decide? Freaking coward!!

Don't get me wrong, I think this writer is very talented and this story is brilliant. Not very many people can bring a story to life and evoke such strong feeeings from the reader. I just needed to get that off my chest and beg the writer to continue the story and if not give them a happy ending then at least make it a better one.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago

as much as u love this story, i am a sucker of happy endings and really wish that he either went to las vegas to get him or that dev came back after awhile. maybe write a year later sort of thing? i really wish they got together!

kingseanstonkingseanstonalmost 12 years ago

I feel sad for both Dav and Max. I don't know whether it was laziness or lack of courage or trying to be a stand-up guy for a change, but Max should've gone after Dev to at least find out if they could've fixed their problems.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago

It was good but I really love happy endings tho

Was hoping he would come back and they could fix their differences

Maybe you could suprise us with a third part years later they get together..u knOw just saying

But love your stories good writing

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago

Noooo - the guy must get off his arse and follow Dev, what's wrong with him? He'll just turn into a pathetic alcoholic - horrible ending.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
wrong

no no no no that is not what happened.he went to vegas and found him.how could he not.

lonesomedove66lonesomedove66almost 11 years ago

I may be the only one but I like the ending. It would have been wrong for him to chase Dev after all that happened, he needed time and so did Dev but of course I would love to see a follow up where there is a happy ending lol

GabrielClarkGabrielClarkover 10 years ago

the ending is very very good written, as is the whole story, and it is kinda good, because it makes a difference to all the other endings. but nevertheless it just cruel reading it. i'm feeling numb and empty now.

but another great story. you really know how to deliver :)

Tru_SaffronTru_Saffronover 10 years ago
nooooo

This ending makes Me Sad

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
this one hurt

i'm one of those invisible readers who never leave feedback comments, but i just had to comment on this story. it is just beautiful and incredibly painful. an intimate, relatable piece on heartbreak.

while intellectually, i'm kinda happy reading a piece that doesn't end with happily ever after and a gutful of cheese, i can't help but wish this story ended happier than it did. that said, through the journey these characters took, you justified your ending beautifully. but as i go to bed tonight, i'll take a moment to wonder if in your heart, dear author, even you wish they got together in the end...

Tom7JerryTom7Jerryover 9 years ago
Why

Whilst I gave this one a high five I must admit I am dying inside. The pain is so immense. I get that he paid the price. Most of what he reaped was his own fault but like others....I just wished in my heart he ended up happy. There is another author who also wrote a story with a not so happily ever after ending. I cried for an hour. I finish this and want to go find this fictional character myself. All that being said...amazing use of emotion. The damn romantic in me hates reality.

TM

MalecManiacMalecManiacalmost 9 years ago

I don't know if I like this story yes or no. It's beautiful but so sad. It makes me angry things ending the way they do. If I was Max's friend I would advice him to grow a pair and GO AFTER DEVLIN!

Hutchison12Hutchison12almost 9 years ago
Please No

Thank you

I loved the journey and characters, after Max finally seeing what he was doing to everyone around him, even subconsciously it was sad that he and Dev didn't find each other everyone deserves a happy ending, life is a journey not always happy but we all deserve it,

Thanks for sharing you're skill with us all

J

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Wow.

I don't know how I feel about this story. It's kind of like an oxymoron, a beautiful tragedy. I was expecting a happy, positive ending like your amazing story, "The Human Condition", but sadly that did not happen. But hey, that's how life is, not always ending with a "happily ever after". But this story just shows how amazing and talented you are as a writer, you swayed my emotions and wow I don't think I've ever loved and hated a story as much as this one. Nevertheless, I must thank you, this story was beautiful. I know it's been over a decade since you lasted posted under this account, but I just want to thank you for the amazing stories you've written. I hope you still write for others, because you truly have an amazing talent.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Any chance

Any chance of Max going looking for Dev. Max has made so many mistakes. Let him do all the running and begging. I suppose not all endings are happy

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

First, I’ll say the author did an excellent job writing a story that was compelling and creating characters that evoke feelings and emotions in the readers (me and clearly others). Next, I’ll say that I hated the ending and actually most of the story because Max was a selfish, inconsiderate, thoughtless, emotionally abusive, absolutely the opposite of a stand-up guy! He was pitifully cruel and self-centered. He claimed to love Tess yet he treated her with the utmost disrespect, he claimed to love Dev but treated him like his whorish booty call secret, he claimed to love Pete but he lied to him throughout most of their friendship and despite having a helluva best friend who worked him through his selfishness, lies, and denials, he ultimately didn’t appreciate his support and drifted away from him. Max didn’t even love himself, in fact, I think the source of his actions and mistreatment of others is his own self-loathing. He was just a nasty, repugnant person. At least Tess and Pete found each other and will be happy. Poor Dev is the one who really got screwed!! He fell in love with a grade-A asshole. Max didn’t care enough to be honest with himself and almost went through with a sham wedding and marriage. Max didn’t care enough for Dev to treat him with respect before the wedding or after it was called off. He knew he was shitting on Dev, chose to do nothing about it, and then when he learned how hurt and in love Dev really was, he still chose to ignore him and not find him or fight for him. Instead he sits, drinks, fucks randos, waits and lathers in his own pathetic life. I hope Dev finds someone who cherishes him and he has a fantastic love and life and forgets about Max’s pitiful existence. Good riddance to rubbish!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Oh God! How can you end this story like that?

RikAlAdRikAlAdabout 2 years ago

Well, that nearly broke my heart. Now I'll never get to sleep. That said, it was beautiful, but I can give hope to anyone who has made a similar mistake. Forty Two years ago I walked out on my forever man, but he kept trying and two years ago we gave it another try and its working. Love is hard to kill.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I think that the people who hate this story or hate Max really don’t understand the difference between 2003 and 2022. As someone who was in my mid20s then, this story feels very true, very resonant, and I sympathize greatly with Max’s struggles.

Erotica_WorshiperErotica_Worshiper8 months ago

Broke my heart ending like that, guess I have a reason beside my depression to cry tonight

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous