All Comments on 'Hard Hats'

by MSTarot

Sort by:
  • 10 Comments
patientleepatientleealmost 10 years ago
You can make anything sound good.

I was doing some research in the How-To aisle at lunch, and I saw this. Your self-editing is very much improved. Teacher is pleased. ;-) This was informative and entertaining. Well-structured with a good rhythm. An all-around fun read. (Now I have to get back to work!)

ArkSoutherngentArkSoutherngentalmost 10 years ago
Very well put. ..!!!!!!

Having worked on construction sites for over 40 years. ...TV and the movies don't have a clue. Oh there are always a few that are rude or are rednecks but as you stated they are not around long enough to see the project completed. Those same guys are always on the first lay off list on every job.

Keep up the good work

FantasyXYFantasyXYalmost 10 years ago
One more thing I've noticed about construction workers

In TV and movies all of the workers are dirty and sweaty, but they are also ALL very attractive, even through the sweat and grime. That couldn't be any further from reality.

In my personal experience, working construction and then later working as a the telecom and power engineer for a couple of large new buildings, I have noticed that most construction workers just aren't all that attractive. It's not that construction workers are somehow an ugly lot, it's just that construction doesn't attract attractive men any more than most jobs. And construction doesn't automatically keep workers in good shape either. Look at any construction job and you will find as many overweight men as anywhere else.

Also, take on any job and you'll probably notice that there are only a couple of guys in the whole place that the women ogle over; then pray like hell that you are one of them!

But don't just take my word for it... After my job in construction, but before I was an engineer; I worked in a data center. The center was in a new area of high tech development and there were all sorts of buildings going up around us. All of the women at that job noted that the sexy construction worker thing was a complete myth.

This stereotype has to just add frustration to the modern construction workers day. Thanks for writing this piece and letting everyone know what really motivates a construction worker's stare.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Never been on a real construction site have you?

A fictional view that's out in left field. I've been on all sorts of construction sites. I build things. This is the typical stereotype of construction workers. I'd whistle at you if I could. Not particularly clever.

The_Misplaced_GypsyThe_Misplaced_Gypsyalmost 10 years ago
Mr/Mrs I Would Whistle At You If I Could

What a coincidence, he builds things too!! You need to not speak before you know someone. Normally I do not comment on my husband's stories because it will just get him unwanted attention but with you, I will make an exception. You STATE that my husband has never been on a construction site? He has been a commercial brick/block mason for 26 years now. He has worked on hundreds if not a thousand plus construction sites and I have been to a few of them to visit him or take him some lunch. I do not know where you are from and I particularly don't care but constructions sites differ from place to place so get over yourself mr/mrs "Anonymous".

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Well done, MST!

I ran across this piece of yours by accident, browsing How To's, and really enjoyed it - very literate, sweet, informative, and yes, eye-opening. I transitioned from resenting wolf whistles to taking them as compliments, and as much of that was in my own head as in the eye of the men on the scaffolds. I would probably take a bow if I received any such comments now...

At the condo construction site across my street, the workers truly work their butts off, while the supervisor types have phones glued to their ears and make the job harder, generally. I haven't heard a single whistle or comment directed at anyone in the 5 months of construction.

acupacupover 9 years ago
To years gone by...

When women realized the whistle was a compliment and not a put down...

The PC people take a good thing and screw it up, just like government...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
True and very well written

Coming from an operating engineer - that's exactly what the jobsite is like. Very well written!

Thank you from one of your union sisters ;-)

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago

This is so awesome! Think imma post this in the break room!

HaydenDLinderHaydenDLinderabout 5 years ago
Thank you.

I know jack all about construction but this was very informative.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous