All Comments on 'How to Survive a Long-Distance Relationship'

by bosombuddies

Sort by:
  • 16 Comments
tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
I WOULD GUESS AFTER ONE FILLS UP THE 1ST RAIN BARREL

its time to seek some kind of professional assistance, TK U MLJ LV NV

bosombuddiesbosombuddiesover 9 years agoAuthor
re: "rain barrel"

LOL

txcoatl1970txcoatl1970over 9 years ago
Solid piece 5* description of how to survive a LDR

LMAO b/c it's so true!

My wife and I went through a tough spot where she was in Shreveport LA for a three-month contract and I was in Austin TX.

I'd just started my job there so I had no PTO and had to leave work and drive six hours to see her every couple of weeks.

I also took a job in Florida where we were separated for a couple of months but for a variety of reasons the job didn't work out but we turned out OK.

In both the above situations our realtionship worked by doing exactly what you've described!

MoonlightCatMoonlightCatover 9 years ago
This was just what I needed!

Nice advise to clear my thoughts about that topic. Thank you for sharing this!!

xXx

MoonlightCat

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Postive Comments

Loved it. It is spot on. Best advice, Don't do it! Next best advise: Don't do it!

Runner-Up best advise: Hang on to your sanity, but hang on losely...be willing to let go at any given week, day, hour, minute. The author is right: forgiveness, and letting go of small quibbles, is essential for long distance relationships. I have been in one seven months now (without having met the person yet!); if there isn't a connection to begin with...i.e., like a soul mate connection, lots in common, daily inspiration, etc... there is nothing to fall back on when the cookie crumbles. And, that cookie IS gonna lose some crummy crumbs along the way! The writer of this did a very nice, tidy overview of long distance relationships; thank you~!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
LDR's are difficult but they can work if your committed and work at it.

I never expected to be in the relationship I am now. I have been in a LDR before that didn't work out. That being said, even though it is a long distance relationship, I am happier then I have ever been. Yes having sex in some way is a must!!! Cybering in an online chat or cam has to happen and you have to get over your fears that your not doing things right or its not sexy enough. You have to relax and take things a day at a time. I am fully committed to my wonderful man.. He is everything I could ever want. We talk about the future often and I know there will be a day when distance won't be a factor. It's not easy.. but anything worth doing never is. I wouldn't trade anything I have with him for someone I could see every weekend or daily. To me its worth it, even if I do feel lonely at times. We do talk everyday, we skype, send messages, daily. I dress up for him when we cam. I try to wear things that are sexy a lot of the time, he has plenty of photos of me, some that I have sent him, some he has taken on skype. I do the same. I take pics of him on skype.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago

you are absolutely right! I am in a long distance relationship and all of this is soo true. We follow all of this because its the only way to keep us strong and going. Great advice!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Sounds working

Im in trouble, having this LDR with a breakup and as the 2nd chance i dont want to blow it. this article is good i will show it to my girl and i guess if we both HOPEFULY do it then we can end up together

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
;(

I know how bad you feel in this kind of relationship... But maybe sometimes it's better to let your lover go....

vonWachsteinvonWachsteinalmost 8 years ago

This is all 100% true. I've been through the same, 2 times with the same woman. The first time, we were 14 hours apart; the second time, we were 5 hours apart (we live together now). Thankfully, our relationship lasted, due in large part to both of us following these guidelines. I wish we could have seen this article before, rather than figuring everything out on our own.

LNR1001LNR1001almost 7 years ago
I don't really know what to say buy

But I just think any relationship is hard and it takes effort and a lot of trust because without trust your stuck doubting your partner. I feel like I'm talking out of my ass because I really don't have and experience with relationships and deep down I'm scared of being alone. Well its 5:14 ...

KingCuddleKingCuddleover 3 years ago
Addendum

All-in frequent love letters. Relentlessly works best!

I also E a daily Morning Musical Love song.

I send a video with printed lyrics on the screen...for clarity.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

My philosophy is if the woman isn't willing to follow you she is going to cheat. This was written 8 years ago. That might not be long, but there are 30+ year old humans with Snapchat now. A lot has changed. My grandpa worked in like Georgia and sent money back home to Michigan in the 70s, but his wife wasn't back home trolling Facebook waiting for old flames to get antsy in the doldrums of life and see if they can rekindle something.

Karl_HundassonKarl_Hundassonover 1 year ago

Yup, so true. Mine failed, we both cheated, forgave each other but my other girlfriend got pregnant, so I manned up, and that was the end of the long distance relationship.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

I had a relationship of 2 1/2 years with a full year of LDR in the middle of it... While I don't usually write comments I wanted to just add another part.

All the advices are on the point and could lead to a successful LDR, but in a real (close/in person) relationship there is another thing, apart from the sex and the intimacy, that matters and that isn't present in a LDR. That is a project/plan for the future together. In real relationships after a while that you are together and you decide that that you click in with each other, you start to plan your life together, be it by living together or in any other way. You start to build something that you couldn't alone, trying to be all happier together than you would be alone... In a LDR where you are doing your own things, without any plan or end in sight, there is a certain emptyness that can't be filled by any kind of visit or program. You try to live your relationship online with your partner and at the same time a real-person life with your friends and family, not really achieving either...

To end this really LONG monologue, my advice is: put a limit. If you have to be apart for up to 3 months, no problem at all. Up to 1 or 2 years with some planning it doable. 3, 4, or 5 years you have to be the love of each other life's and go through some serious planning and a lot of suffering. Also, when it such long periods of time (or longer) and you cannot even by in the same city or country... Are your lives too divergent or the love too weak to not find any other solution? Is it worthy to stall and fill with loneliness your lives for such long periods of time?

I think if the people in the relationship are not ready to change their life plans and reach a compromise, they are just delaying the inevitable... This said I wish everyone to be happy and to achieve your dreams

49ers6949ers693 months ago

Sound advice. Wish I had it when I was much younger. I might have made a different decision about accepting a job on the east coast 3000 miles away.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userbosombuddies@bosombuddies
4660 Followers
1/2/2016 - happy New Years everybody. Posted my stories from here up on CHYOA.com, to make it easy for anyone interested in taking them in different directions (looking at you, people who thought Ian wound up with the wrong girl in Bosom Buddies). Here's the link: https://ch...