All Comments on 'A Matter of Timing'

by Spencerfiction

Sort by:
  • 68 Comments
judge1179judge1179over 9 years ago
Good

I like the twist. However, this should probably be in a different category... possibly Sci-fi.

I would have liked it to be longer, also.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
LMAO!

I didn't see that one coming!

chytownchytownover 9 years ago
Good Fiction***

Silly but still a good read. Thanks for the read.

thefranzthefranzover 9 years ago
Great Flash Story

Left me with a big grin.

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsover 9 years ago
thank you, thank you, thank you,

The funniest thing I have read in at least a week.

Never mind the arguments about category, it fits better than several others from the last month alone.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Thank You

Funniest story I've read in quite awhile. See what you mean by this could be in sci-fi. The possibilities are endless.

tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
JUST LIKE WITH THE 1ST P/Cs AND NEW LAW HAD TO BE CREATED

with time travel and space warps...it may have already been done TK U MLJ LV NV

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionover 9 years agoAuthor
I understand the arguments about category.

It could have gone in humor, but giving that category alone would have deflected from the drama and easily predicted the punch line. Also, I felt the story was far too silly for SciFi, those serious geeks (and I'm one of them) would've guessed the ending in the first line and come up with so many plot holes in my thesis in these Comments longer than my original flash fiction. It was just a silly story that amused me, folks, the categories available just didn't appeal, and the Loving Wife ended up without a penny.

impo_58impo_58over 9 years ago
Funny story, but...

Funny story, but wrong category...Sci/fic is the right one...

FullCircle56FullCircle56over 9 years ago
Excellent Story

Had a great chuckle over this one. Nice diversion. At least in this category you will have more readers. 5 stars and thanks for posting.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago

great story and funny keep writing stories like this 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Nice try

But no. That was just silly. And probably in the wrong category. But who cares. The attempt at cleverness failed so the category doesn't matter. It just wasn't interesting or entertaining. Too implausible even for fiction.

jezzazjezzazover 9 years ago

This is a lot of fun. Always a sucker for time travel stories:)

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Great job!

I got a big chuckle and an out loud laugh at the ending. Thanks for the happiness that popped out. 5*

WhackdoodleWhackdoodleover 9 years ago
So that means he knowingly married his grand daughter.

And now he owes a shit pile of child support. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

MajorRewriteMajorRewriteover 9 years ago
Nice

Short and funny. Comedy is hard, so congrats.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Liked It

I enjoyed the story. WTF about those who argue category. Who Cares.

None of my stories posted are loving wives but I post here for two reasons, no cheating wives category AND more importantly the people I want reading my stories read "loving wives" stories.

End of story.

Thanks

CB

njlaurennjlaurenover 9 years ago
Funny and different

And fitting for loving wives,since Sci first was not the primary reason for the story.I liked the twist at the end,when he figured out how to beat the bitch at her own game....of course there is a paradox here,but so what?

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
3*s

HAHA ,ha or as they now write laugh out loud !

That's a good one!

AMerryMan

RhomanovRhomanovover 9 years ago
Been a while

Since I had a good chuckle from one of these.

5* just for the laugh.

Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
That was

very good.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
5*

and if I hadn't lost my log in details, I'd favourite it, too!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
good one lol

been a while since i had a laugh from an LW story :)

AdferAdferover 9 years ago
unfinshed story

A lovely story as far as it goes but it is unfinished. There is no resolution to the divorce hearing which is what the story is really about. The techno-magic is fun and interesting and there is a lot of scope for the judge's reaction to it. Does the austere, serious minded judge accept the evidence at face value or does she dismiss it?

What is the outcome of the hearing?

Come on, Spencerfiction. Please finish the story.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 9 years ago
Excellent

Great little tale. Tells just enough to make this a great read.

Five Stars

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionover 9 years agoAuthor
Paradox

Wackdoodle, he did not know he married his granddaughter because "in his timeline" he hadn't fucked her grandmother yet. Think about it. He did not travel to her grandmother's time until driven there by the court case. Time travel fiction is so appealing because paradox is implausible but appears logically possible. It's like an optical illusion of stairs going both ways, it works from each perspective but is a trick of the way our brain interprets what it sees.

The court case comes to an end because the original marriage MUST be annulled because of the illegal kinship of the two parties. Therefore no marriage, ergo no divorce, even better, no pre-nup!

Of course he is liable for the upbringing of HIS child, his ex-wife's unnamed parent, if still alive, possibly cost him maybe up to a million. But he's worth zillions and he doesn't have to give one single penny to his ex as grandparents are not liable for some else's kid.

Now come on folks, we're writers, slavin' away doin' our stuff, the least you could do is read it properly! :p

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Different

Did not like the story too much, but it was something to think about.

carvohicarvohiover 9 years ago
Yeah...

It was silly, but it sure was fun. Don't worry about the category; it fits where you want it to fit.

I read three of your things lately; you're getting better each time. But hey; what do I know?

This was too short to be worth a real five, but I fived it anyway.

fanfarefanfareover 9 years ago
Keep on trucking!

Oh Man, what a trip! That was some groovy acid you dropped on us. Psychedelic mushrooms in my head, man.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Glad you had fun

neither cuck nor BTB

REFRESHING

And delightfully silly

Jetcrash747Jetcrash747over 9 years ago
Big circus

What goes around, comes around.

bruce22bruce22over 9 years ago
Quite a Funny Story

I am sur prised at its low rating. I bet that is Sci-Fi it would have a 4.8!

Of course the old question is always there. Why would she get pregnant knowing that her infidelity would be detectable. Excellent Work.

KarenEKarenEover 9 years ago
Wedding Date

Regardless of the date on the calendar when she had sex, SHE was married to her husband, so she was having sex out of wedlock.

LOVED the ending!

green117green117over 9 years ago
There is a joke here I don't get...

and it is rankling that I can't figure it out:

"His brief, noticing Alex was wearing cotton trousers and sandals, couldn't help gasping, "So, it's true!"

Not a local of the UK, I suppose I can be forgiven... but author, or perhaps some other wise person, there is clearly a joke here, the set up is unmistakable... fill me in on the cultural reference?

Thanks,

Green-something

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionover 9 years agoAuthor
No hidden joke here

Green117, there is no hidden joke here, the expression of disbelief by the rather immature (and therefore cheap) barrister representing the plaintiff was merely a device to show that he did not believe his client would win until he saw the evidence by his own eyes. It was merely an aside by me to reflect that the junior barrister had taken on the "silks" with little chance of winning the case (or getting paid his fee). I felt that including his "minnow beating the sharks" reaction fitted the scene.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
great story!

So his ex wife's mother hated him but he had no idea why till he went back and banged her? That's a pretty good paradox! Love that our guy managed to save himself in the end!

Leonji

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
oddly

Like a Beatles song written in a drug induced haze.

loveoverlustloveoverlustover 8 years ago
adultery is for eternity :-(

Well, if nothing more ,it seems, adultery is to stay, for a long haul. Atleast, that's one sad reality this story confirms.

Obviously that's simply the hard core L.w. reader in me talking. Searching for a gloomy scenario in this, otherwise, lighthearted flash. :-)

Anyway, it was a nice humorous take on the parody called "the modern marriage".

A 5, for sure.

Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
four stars for lol factor

This sounds like a bad sci-fi movie heh.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
best

please don't tell me that this is the best you've got!!!

OvercriticalOvercriticalabout 6 years ago
Dreadful!

1* as a place-marker and not worthy of comment.

somewhatniceguysomewhatniceguyabout 6 years ago
an author

has the freedom to write anything he wants; I found it quite amusing; good one this.

laptopwriterlaptopwriterabout 6 years ago
Okay...

This gets a big 5 stars if for no other reason than originality!

cub4acougarcub4acougarabout 6 years ago
lol

funnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyy !!!!!!!!!!!

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
Well

Original for sure, have to give credit for that.

jtwheelsjtwheelsalmost 5 years ago
Definitely different huh?

Decent story

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Not bad.

This could be a great story if it had more substance to it.

robroy93robroy93over 4 years ago
Good

I enjoyed that. Different LW story with a lot of humor.

EspressoBolusEspressoBolusalmost 4 years ago
Clever

High humor but sketchily written and unsatisfying.

dunmovynivdunmovynivalmost 4 years ago

Ray Stevens did it better........”I’m my own grandpa “

mower9527mower9527over 3 years ago

So much more you could have done with this story. It’s almost criminal (no pun intended).

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
This scenario has so much potential.

I enjoyed the whole story.

26thNC26thNCover 3 years ago
This one

This one took a few readings to completely understand, but I enjoyed it again.

secretsalsecretsalalmost 3 years ago

Now that's a flash story. Does pose the obvious chicken and egg situation, though.

mccartysermccartyseralmost 3 years ago

How dumb can it get???

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

LMAO. Crazy, but fun story. Gotta give it five just for originality.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

This could have been a lot longer. But it doesn't need to be. Everything we need is right here.

ChopinesqueChopinesquealmost 2 years ago

Five stars for putting time travel into a LW story! I don't think that's the way time travel typically works, but it's in a courtroom! And with a very cute wrinkle at the end! If you have a time machine, and access to everyone else's past... then you are unbeatable, unless the author writing your story has you messing up everything you try!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Great funny story. Very original

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

What? No Delorian? Good story, could however used a little more explaining.

oldtwitoldtwit11 months ago

Unfortunately the best thing I can say is that it made me smile

Handley_PageHandley_Page10 months ago
Loved it

Short, sharp (very) and amusing.

Thank you

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

What is happening ??? Twilight zone for sure

Busman19639Busman196392 months ago

Cute, funny and stupid but I still liked it. Short was the most redeemable value.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userSpencerfiction@Spencerfiction
976 Followers
An old printer, typesetter, proofreader, local politician and activist. I write for pleasure only, an untrained writer too set in his ways to change or learn. I have courted and been wedded to the same impossible angel for over four decades, so I am an unremitted romantic. If ...

SIMILAR Stories