All Comments on 'Show or Tell'

by gauchecritic

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
herecomestherainherecomestherainabout 20 years ago
A great piece

You're a genius. Wish I'd found this article about a week ago when I was ready to hurl my computer out the window. You are a lifesaver. Oh and my computer thanks you too. Seriously this is a wonderfully useful article presented in a great way. The examples make the discussion concrete. Thanks.

zephrbabezephrbabealmost 20 years ago
Pretty damn good

I really liked this How To, because it illustrated each author's individuality, and demonstrated that it (a) isn't always easy to write in "Show" mode, and (b) that everyone has their own level of description.

The only downside was that I felt like gauchecritic was showcasing the authors. Not much of a downside, but i try to balance these things.

Virgin_Whore_BabyVirgin_Whore_Babyabout 17 years ago
pretty helpful

but what the fuck are "peanut smuggling credentials"?

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago

very useful, well done.

TheOriginalAnonymousTheOriginalAnonymousabout 11 years ago
A Thoughtful "How To"

I only skimmed, as it wasn't what I was looking for (I found what I was looking for elsewhere), but still found it informative. A carefully constructed point/counter-point that allows the writer to figure out the best way he or she can proceed. Excellent use of examples.

DarkAurther6969DarkAurther6969about 1 year ago

I Agree I do the same whenever I'm reading a story on Lit or any where else that a Paragraph or more Describing the character or the story's sitting I usually Roll My Eyes Back and skip the rest of the Story. As I Had Began calling those Mini Profiles. And hat is why I usually leave all of that out in My Own Personal Works (Which By The Way Well Never See The Light Of Day On This Site, Not By Choice Again By The Way) Anyways as I like for the Reader to imagine their own version of that character or sitting. I just Provide the Walls and Celling of the Story it's Up To The Reader on how they would like to Decorate that Metaphoric Building. For Example if I where to say "He could help but steer at her Breasts..." it's up the Reader to fell the rest out as some might Imagine the woman In question have a Size B while Most Might Imagine the woman in question having a nice pair of Size DD Breasts. Everyone is a Little Deferent. And I would a go a little further to say I Treat Dialog the same such as "I can't Believe you Fucked her Behind my back you cheating Shit!!" in this case I like to leave it up to the Readers if the woman in that example has an accent or not and if she does what kind?

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous