A Chance Encounter... or Was It?

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thank you for helping him."

"He needed help and I'm glad I was there."

"I'm very glad he came home a day early."

"I am too."

"After Kevin lost his wife, he went into a shell, so to speak. Laura was the only one who could crack that shell and the two of them became much closer. They did many things together until her marriage. Even recently, I saw them together and she appeared much closer to her dad than to Paul. There's a very strong bond between them. If he loses her, I'm not sure what will happen."

Erin nodded. After a moment she replied, "We have to all be there for him if that happens. But I don't think it's going to. I have a good feeling about today and believe she will come out of the coma okay."

Kevin walked in and Jane said, "You look a little better. Did you sleep well?"

"Yeah, I took a couple of pills that knocked me out. This jet lag is killing me."

"Paul checked with Megan and there's been no change. Let's have some breakfast before we go over."

"Erin, if you want to go on home, you can take my car. I can ride back with Jane."

"I'm going to stay until we know the situation."

Jane glanced at her and smiled.

****

Kevin and Jane relieved Paul when they arrived and he came to sit with Erin to eat a breakfast sandwich they brought for him.

She said, "Tell me about Laura. Kevin showed me pictures of her on his computer and I know he feels very close to her."

"Yes, they are close. Laura is a very loving person, like her mom was. She gets a high from life and has many friends. She's the most kind and gentle person you would ever want to meet. Laura is very strong in her faith and gives 100% to everything she does.

"She still misses her mom but much of her focus was shifted to her dad when she died. They spent tons of time together. He's been the best possible father to us. He's supported us and helped us buy the house and furniture. Laura is probably his closest friend so it's more than just a typical father-daughter relationship."

"She sounds like a wonderful young lady."

"She is. I'm really worried about her."

"I know you are, Paul. But have faith that she will be fine. I'm sure she has the best doctors and a lot of people praying for her."

"Our pastor and deacon were here for an hour yesterday and I know the church is praying along with many of our friends. But I'm still very scared."

Erin sat beside him and eased her arm around Paul's shoulder as he quietly wept.

****

At 11:00 am, a doctor came and told Kevin and Paul that he was stopping the drug used to induce the coma and, within a few hours, they should see her react. He was pleased with the vital signs of both Laura and the baby.

As soon as the doctor left, the hospital chaplain arrived and had a prayer with Kevin and Jane at Laura's bedside. At Jane's request, the chaplain went to the waiting room and prayed with Paul and Erin.

It was 3:00 pm before the first signs of movement were noticed. Paul was sitting near Laura when he saw her hand twitch. A close look at her face showed that her eyelids were also twitching. Her breathing was regular and a quick look at the monitors revealed a normal heart rhythm and blood pressure.

"Laura, can you hear me?" He took her hand and waited. "Laura, can you hear me?"

Silence.

"Laura." Her eyes twitched again and he felt her hand lightly grip his. A rush of chills shot through Paul. She could hear him!

"Sweetheart, can you open your eyes?"

There were more twitches but nothing else. Paul laid her hand on the bed and rushed to the waiting room.

"She's stirring and even gripped my hand."

Everyone breathed a sigh of relief and Kevin rushed with him to her bedside as Jane and Erin held hands and wept.

"Laura, can you hear me, sweetheart?" her dad asked.

Paul took her hand again and she squeezed it, even tighter than before. Her eyes opened and blinked many times as the strong light affected them. After a moment, she raised her right hand and touched Paul's face. The alarms must have gone off at the nurses' station because two came running.

"Gentlemen, step out of the way please."

The nurses worked together to check all the monitors and flash a light into Laura's pupils. Her heart rate was up to 90 from the normal range of 60-70 beats a minute.

"Laura, can you talk?"

She struggled but whispered, "Yes."

Kevin and Paul were ecstatic.

"Tell us how you feel."

"Terrible headache. Very sore and hurt everywhere." It was clear that she was struggling to speak.

"That's to be expected. The doctor will prescribe medication for your headache and soreness."

One of the nurses said, "You can drink this ice water if you want."

"Good," Laura whispered.

The nurse raised the head of her bed so Laura could sip the water through a straw.

She saw her dad and reached out her right hand to him. Kevin walked to her, took her hand and kissed it. His tears flowed. "I'm so happy you're awake, sweetheart."

Laura smiled and squeezed his hand.

The nurse said the doctor would be there shortly and for Laura to lay still.

"What happened?" she asked.

Paul stepped in beside her and recounted the events.

"How's our baby?" she asked.

"Great. Your body took good care of it. The doctor is very pleased."

A tear rolled down her cheek.

"Is the other driver okay?"

"Yes, the last I heard. She was text messaging and ran the stoplight. Her airbags saved her from injury."

Laura lay there for several seconds.

"How long have I been here?"

"Three days," Paul replied. "What do you remember?"

"I stopped at a traffic light and saw a friend in the car beside me. We rolled down our windows and talked while waiting for the light. When it changed, I pulled into the intersection and out of the corner of my eye saw a car coming very fast but that's all I remember."

Kevin asked, "Is there anything we can do to make you more comfortable?"

"This headache is awful. Can I have some more water?"

Paul held the cup for her.

"Excuse me, gentlemen."

Kevin turned and saw a different doctor approach wearing a big smile.

He addressed Kevin. "I'm Dr. Robert Tyler." They shook hands as Kevin introduced himself.

"Paul, I understand our patent is awake." They also shook hands. "When did she come around?"

Paul responded, "About ten minutes ago."

Dr. Tyler moved in beside Laura and smiled. "You look great, young lady."

She replied, "I don't feel great."

"You mean you're going to miss my square dancing lesson this afternoon?"

Everyone laughed as Laura smiled. "Maybe tomorrow."

"Okay, I'm going to hold you to that."

He reached over with his stethoscope and listed to her heart and lungs. The monitors showed the story was a good one. He had her move her feet and toes as he watched.

"Laura, I'm going to start a drip with pain medication to help with your headache and the soreness. We have a baby to protect so I'll be very conservative with the dosage. Do you have pain in your shoulder?"

"No more that any other part of my body."

"Well, I guess that's good. You have a couple of broken bones and a rotator cuff tear. We've got you stabilized for now but be careful and don't put pressure on it if you can avoid it."

"How long will I be here?"

"I think we can move you to a normal room tomorrow and I would expect to have you home in a few days. But I warn you, my dance lessons are only offered here so don't rush to leave me too soon."

She smiled again as Paul and Kevin chuckled.

After the doctor walked away, Laura said, "Dad, I saw mom."

"What?"

"I saw mom."

"What do you mean?"

"I dreamed I left my body and watched two doctors work on me. All at once, I was walking into this beautiful village and mom came out of a house and hugged me. I was elated to see her. She told me that she loved me and that we would be together again some day but I had to go back. It wasn't my time yet. We talked for a while and I met her sister."

"You met Melinda?"

"Yes. She and mom look a lot alike."

"She died before you were born."

"I know. They were very happy. I wanted to stay because it was so perfect and I was relaxed and at peace. I felt so loved. I turned and walked back out of the village and returned to my body as the doctors continued their work."

Paul said, "That was just your brain imagining stuff."

"It was like a dream but I don't think so. Mom said that dad was on his way here and he's here."

Laura paused for a few seconds.

"Dad, she said to tell you she loves you and will always love you. She said she knows what you're going through and your prayers are about to be answered."

He was thunderstruck and asked, "What prayers?"

"Dad, she knew about our prayers for you to find a new wife."

A rush of tingling chills coursed through Kevin. He was lightheaded and grasped the side of the bed to steady himself.

"What's wrong, Daddy?" Laura asked.

"I've felt your mom very close to me the last 24 hours and I have met a woman. She helped me get here quickly to see you."

Tears came to Laura's eyes. "Is she here?"

Paul replied, "I'll get her."

In a few moments, Erin walked to her bedside and Laura smiled.

"Hi Laura, do you remember me?"

"I do. When you taught the photography class a few years ago, I knew you would be perfect for my dad. I prayed for a long time that you two would meet again and fall in love."

Erin smiled. "I was praying for the same thing."

Kevin looked at Erin and replied, "I was too but I didn't know how to find you."

"Mom did."

Epilogue

Laura fully recovered and her daughter Jessica was born on time and in perfect shape. Jessi is now walking and loves to cuddle with her daddy as he watches football every Saturday and Sunday. Her granddaddy visits often and she spends many hours in his lap and riding his "knee horse" with non-stop giggling.

Erin moved in with Kevin two months after the accident and they were married a year later with hundreds of guests looking on. Their honeymoon was two weeks at the house in France. Every day was spent either on the beach, or exploring Roman ruins or drinking fine wine and dining at some of the best restaurants in the world. Of course, you know what they did every night.

Kevin remembered to contact the Anglican priest in London and give him the full account of what happened. They received a thoughtful letter from him containing a blessing for their marriage and for Laura, Paul and baby Jessica.

His company shares were sold to the corporation for their later use and his retirement became official the week prior to the wedding. His brother Trace is now running the company and business is booming.

Following the honeymoon, Erin and Kevin traveled together on dozens of her assignments. He was able to see places he never knew existed and was amazed by her commitment to getting that perfect shot, no matter what effort was required.

The biggest news, and surprise, is that Erin is now pregnant! That was a major shock to them. The tests show the baby is normal and Laura is jubilant that she's going to have a brother 29 years younger and that little Jessica will have an uncle two years younger than herself.

At first, Erin wasn't so sure about this major change in her life but now seems to have adapted nicely. She is starting to show and beginning to plan her assignments to avoid risk to the baby. Kevin is thrilled and planning to take thousands of baby pictures.

The End.

Please leave comments and vote. Would you like to see more non-erotic short stories from me?