A Daemon-Horn Blade Ch. 16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Stultus
Stultus
1,407 Followers

Slowly, as reports of the returning barons arrived, Rowan realized with relief that enough men and provisions were indeed on their way to the town to hold it secure and its people fed until at least the next spring planting season. Delighted at receiving three such reports in the space of two days, Rowan gave his brigade orders to prepare to break camp. It was time to load up all of the wagons and get the soldiers prepared for travel.

Harald and Guilliam had been drilling every regiment and company hard for the last week, and they announced an especially tough scrimmage battle between the two equal sized and equipped battalions. The best performing company would receive a final pass into the city for a night of liberty. There were rather more injuries in this friendly scrimmage and competition than had been anticipated, but in the end it was an especially clever flanking movement pulled by the pikemen of C Company that won the day and the contest. These happy troopers rushed off for a last evening of wine, wantonness and song while the rest of the counterparts cleaned and repaired gear, and got their marching rucksacks into order. Boyle's enlarged cavalry acquitted themselves well also, and after their horses were groomed, their ever-cheerful commander allowed them a few hours of freedom in the city as well.

**************

After yet another nearly insufferable and seemingly endless formal dinner in the keep, Rowan and Gwenda were just about to excuse themselves for the evening so that they could enjoy some privacy together, when an urgent message arrived. Boyle's most forward scouts had at last found that elusive army of Boar-Men! Rather than separating into smaller war-bands, the entire force remained together and more or less unified, and it had marched east down the good paved road towards Orshold, a large mining town on the border with Everdun. This town and its barons were also of a fairly independent nature, and Tellismere held only a slight and extremely debatable legal claim to this town, which was right on the edge of the foothills of Everdun, where a river flowed from the mountains into the great Emerald River. Even if the town paid no tribute to the Duke of Tellismere's tax collectors, it was an extremely important trade center; possibly even the single most important trade hub in the east. Nearly as large as Kenniford, Orshold also had good and very sturdy stone walls and supposedly enough good fighting men to keep and hold its independence against all comers.

These barons of this mining and trading town were of a smarter and more industrious lot than the craven and greedy ones of Kenniford. Boyle's scouts reported that the surrounding countryside had been well warned of the Eorfleode advance south and east down the Emerald River, and of the fresh new army that had just arrived from Kenniford. The town was stuffed full of refugees and hastily harvested food, more than sufficient for most sieges, but perhaps not against the huge size of this monstrous army, which was estimated at a total of 25,000 Boar-Men. Already waves of attackers flung themselves against the sturdy fortifications that could never hope to restrain their assaults for long. The town pleaded for all possible aid and assistance, and as quickly as possible. Riders had been sent in all directions, to both Everdun, Tellismere and to Broadmore, but so far only the citymen of Kenniford, and Rowan's brigade had heeded their call.

A short reply message of encouragement was inscribed for the messenger to send back to the brave defenders -- the brigade would march in the morning and would make its best speed on the road, but that the journey of nearly a hundred leagues to Orshold would take well over a week, perhaps even two if the wagons could not keep speed. But still, the brigade was on its way. A monstrous horde of Boar-Men outside of its walls or not, the town must hold!

***********

Exhausted but mentally relieved, Gwenda gently but firmly guided her frantically worried lover to their bed. The Foole could certainly forge Rowan's name if needed, as the lad didn't own a seal or even a signet ring to press to wax. Oddtus was now revived as well, and much of his old happier self; he would know what last minute actions the brigade and city counsels would need to take, and what final preparation might be necessary. Already the city watch was recalling the hundreds of disappointed revelers back to their camp, and the sergeants and officers tried to get their excited men quiet, and laid down for at least some rest... there would be damned little in the long week or more to come!

Stultus
Stultus
1,407 Followers