A Faerie Tale, Broken Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

***

Gretel sat before her looking glass as her maid artfully applied pots of creams and powders to her face. After long moments of fussing, and an even longer amount of time having her hair brushed and combed back into a pretty style, Gretel looked at the image of the woman about to be wed that looked at her. She could hardly recognize her own face and tears threatened. "Oh! Do not cry, sweatheart!" Gretel turned her eyes to the Lady Georgio and forced a smile, "I will not." Dabbing at them briefly, her gaze fell to the box Hansel had brought. Just then, the door opened and the seamstress entered with an entourage of girls carrying smaller boxes.

Hansel's gift forgotten, she was pushed and pulled into a series of frilly things that stained her cheeks red then tied up into a pretty gown of pale lavender. Silken roses of creamy white dotted across the bodice and draped down the full skirt. Flowers of equal hue were woven into her hair until she looked and smelled like a gentle spring day. Lifting Hansel's box, her maid carried it over once Gretel was ready to go.

Opening the latch, Gretel stared blankly down at the glistening indigo stones even as the room filled with appreciative noises and giggles. Lifting the delicate drape, it was fastened around her neck. The gems sparkled with cheer Gretel did not feel even as Lady Georgio clapped her hands, "Oh sweetheart! Look! They match your eyes!" On the felt was an accompanying pair of earbobs, a delicate bracelet, and a dozen hair pins carved into small flowers.

Once she had been adorned, Gretel turned to face those within the room. Her mother glowed with pride and love and the eyes of the seamstress and her girls was approving. Without much more than a minute to breath, there was another knock at the door, "it is time to go."

***

"I pronounce thee wed."

The walk to the large chapel had been a blur. The walk to the alter had taken forever and an instant. She had only glanced at Hansel once, and the look in his eyes had frightened her. Gretel felt on the edge of hysterics and could not shake the feeling that she had doomed them both to this fate. The holy man droned on and on, covering every topic imaginable about the responsibilities of marriage and state. When it was time to say her vows, they were repeated quietly.

Then cheers filled the air. Hansel took her arm within the crook of his own and her feet were lead to the large hall where they would celebrate. "I am so happy for you both!" Gretel looked up from her feet and into the glowing face of Marianne, Ravynth standing at her elbow with a smug smile. "You shall have an incredibly joyful life. I can tell," smiling at the Duchess, her eyes moved to the Unseelie. Ravynth seemed to wince and his expression pulled into a frown, "goodness, Kingling, what did you do to the poor girl?" Hansel's gaze became dark and Marianne appeared puzzled. Without another word, Hansel escorted his new bride away and Ravynth's laughter echoed behind.

"What was that about?" Marianne looked up at her dark guardian and tapped him on the arm, "you were not being mean, were you?" Rayvnth merely smiled. "I think your Kingling just realized that he harbors some fondness for his new bride." Marianne's eyes followed them as Hansel practically drug Gretel across the floor and out an alcove, "I do hope they will be happy." Feeling Rayvnth's finger brush down her hair, she smiled up at him with fondness. "They will be, sweetling," he replied. Then with a dashing bow he grinned, "may I ask for this dance?" Giggling, Marianne offered her hand and Ravynth twirled her onto the dance floor.

***

Gretel felt the cool air touch her a moment before Hansel pulled her into the alcove that lead into the garden. Eyes firmly on the ground, she heard Hansel's voice bite out, "look at me." Lifting her gaze, she focused on the buttons of his shirt. "No, I said look at me." His voice was so full of authority that she bristled a bit and lifted her eyes to his, a spark of anger flashing in them.

His eyes roamed her face before he reached out a finger and touched the hollow beneath her right eye. "You need to take care of yourself. After tonight I do not want to hear again that you have sent your meals back to the kitchen." Surprise registered in Gretel's eyes, yet Hansel kept speaking. "The last thing I need is Marianne thinking I do not take care of you. I chalked your previous behavior to nerves, but it will stop now."

At that, Gretel stood a bit straighter. "I apologize, Majesty. I would not wish to give the Duchess an ill impression of you by my poor health." Lifting her chin, some color returned to her pale skin and she exited the alcove with a straight spine. Hansel's brows drew together before he realized she had walked off without him. Blowing out a frustrated breath, he scowled then followed her out, forcing himself to be calm. Even with the damnable rings on, he still felt the urge to lift her up and throttle her. His gaze fell to her swaying hips as she marched away and the thought of his hand on her bottom lead suddenly down a much more enjoyable path. The sound of chuckling brought him to, a few rowdy remarks tossed his way. Groaning to himself, his stern gaze fell to the young noblemen and they coughed then wandered away. Hansel could not wait for this tortuous day to end.

***

"My my, he looks as though he is ready to pounce and gobble you all up!" Gretel turned to the sound of the voice, confusion in her eyes. "Your husband, that is. If he does not stop staring at you like that, I swear something will spontaneously ignite!" Glancing briefly in Hansel's direction, she only saw his hooded eyes glaring at her as he chattered with the noblemen around him. Goblet in hand, he toasted briefly in her direction before falling back into conversation with his fellows.

"Lady Aster Darrington," the woman took Gretel's hand and tucked it into her elbow then began leading her in the direction of the buffet splayed with dozens of little bites. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Highness." The woman smiled at her brightly and Gretel could not help but smile back. "My husband is Lord Darrington, he is the one presently glued to his majesty's left. He and Lord Huntwald are in a dispute over a few hundred acres of farmland. My husband can be stubborn and when he gets an idea you are better off stepping out of the way rather than reminding him that this is supposed to be a party."

As Lady Aster rambled, Gretel found herself relaxing, "what did you mean by that? The way that his majesty was looking?" Lady Aster picked up a plate and settled it into Gretel's hands before responding, "men are simple creatures, though they would like to pretend otherwise. Your husband has been watching you like a cat ready to prowl on a mouse. Of course, every time you look he pretends to be bored." Lady Aster laughed brightly and began to pile the plate full of food, tugging Gretel along.

Curious, Gretel glanced in Hansel's direction then blushed brightly to see him staring at her. "See? I am not sure how much of it is true, with him dragging you here bedraggled and in chains, but that is the look of a man that sees something he wants." Aster's voice floated through her mind as Gretel found herself spun a bit dizzily and urged to a table to sit.

***

The remainder of the eve was filled with introductions. She had little chance to meet with her fellow nobles over the last few years and she was proud to know that more than a few had found their matches through her strange curse.

"How did you ever manage to break it?" A woman leaned in, whispering loudly. Just as she was about to respond the group fell silent. Gretel looked up to see her husband standing over her. "Forgive me, ladies, but I shall be stealing my bride now for supper." Taking her hand, Hansel led her to the head table and sat her down before taking his own seat. Her mother at her side, with the majority of her half of the table taken up by her father, brothers, and their wives, Gretel tried to keep her spirits high.

A strange sort of truce had settled over them. Gretel kept their shared cup filled with wine, and Hansel kept the conversation polite and impersonal. Though they played the contented couple, Gretel could not help but feel an ever tightening tension churn in her stomach.

Then the toasts began. Round after round of men congratulated their King and flattered their new Queen. Foreign dignitaries and royals gave gifts and wished the couple well. Gretel had drunk far too much wine, yet the toasts kept coming.

Watching the growing rose in her cheeks, Hansel could not help but smile a bit. She was gorgeous. She was also handling herself surprisingly well. Under pressure she remained cool and calm. Thinking that she had been tortured enough for one day, Hansel cleared his throat as the last diplomat finished his speech and stood. "A toast to my bride!" Gretel looked up at him with glazed eyes and smiled as he tugged her to her feet. "It has been a long day and I think it time for the bride to get some rest."

His words were met with cheers and a few remarks that had Gretel blushing brightly. Taking her hand, he led her from the Hall.

Chapter Ten: Wedding Night Jitters

Gretel paced her chamber. She had been moved from the pretty little lilac room to one adorned in bold reds and golds. More than once her eyes had strayed to the door adjoining. Hansel's door. He had kissed her coolly on the cheek when he had dropped her off at the door, her maid and a few others within readying her for bed. They had smiled and wished her a good night before leaving in hushed giggles.

Pouring herself another glass of wine, she had sat tentatively on the bed and waited. Minutes dragged on. A half hour, an hour. Standing, she walked to the door and reached down to touch the doorknob. As she did, a female voice filtered through the door, "you should be with her tonight. Ravynth and I need to go home."

Gretel froze, recognizing Marianne. "I do not want to be with her. I told you, I love you. I married her for the treaty, nothing more. You strong armed me into it with your Fae, but my feelings about you did not suddenly change."

Resting her head against the wood of the door, Gretel's hand dropped from the knob. Perhaps it was the wine. Perhaps just the symbolism of the day and the hope she had allowed when Lady Aster spoke with her. This was a marriage of political nature. He did not harbor any feelings for her other than perhaps veiled loathing. Turning the lock, Gretel walked to her wardrobe and opened it. Familiar clothes hung as well as quite a few new things the seamstress managed to fit in while making her wedding gown.

Finding something to wear, Gretel hastily pulled off the pretty lacy things that she had been dressed in, tearing a few in the process. Crumpling them into a heap, she tossed the mess in a corner and pulled on a simple gown.

Opening the door to the hall, she peeked out. Ravynth stood outside the King's chamber, shoulders leaning against the door and arms crossed. Glancing in her direction, she swallowed at the dark scowl on his face. "Your husband is an idiot."

Tentatively, Gretel stepped into the hallway. "He is in love with Marianne. That is not something that anyone can expect for him to simply stop feeling," Gretel smiled hollowly. The Unseelie looked at her keenly for a moment then seemed to dismiss her words, "perhaps. That does not make him any less an idiot. Not to mention rather rude. Entertaining a woman not his wife on his wedding night.." The Unseelie looked at Gretel once more.

"And where did you expect to steal off to? The state of castle is enough that you could probably sneak away without issue. But where is a new Queen to go?" He smiled at her then and Gretel felt a bit of unease. "Yes, where is a lovely place for a queen to go? A peaceful place perhaps to walk and collect herself? Where no odious husband can crush her feelings- again."

Gretel took a step back now, not liking the pitch of the Fae's voice. "I think I shall just go to bed. It will be better in the morning.." Even as she spoke the world became fuzzy. The walls of the castle melted and faded away. Ravynth stood in the empty hall and smiled smugly, knocking on the door to the King's chamber, he allowed them half a minute then opened the door. "It is time to return home, Lady Marianne."

***

Hansel had just wrapped Marianne in his arms when the knock came. She pushed him away with more than a few cutting words and turned just as Ravynth walked in. "It is time to return home, Lady Marianne." The Unseelie smiled at Hansel and the king did not miss the cruel flicker in his eyes.

"Yes, I agree. It has been a most beautiful wedding, Majesty, but I must return home to my Uncle. His health is not good and he will be happy to know how things progressed." Walking to her Fae Godparent, Marianne wrapped her arm in his. "Have a good night, Majesty."

Ravynth smiled once more in Hansel's direction, "yes, do have a good night." With that, the pair faded, leaving a faint echo of magic behind before Hansel found himself entirely alone.

Pacing his chamber for a while, he eventually walked to the adjoining door. It would be best to set some ground rules. Marianne had made it clear that she did not wish for his affection and he found himself wed. The least he could do was try to make friends with his new wife so that this would be a less awkward situation.

Trying the handle, Hansel frowned to find it locked. Moving into the hallway, he tried the door there to find that locked as well. Growing agitated, Hansel reentered his room and knocked, "Gretel. Open the door." With the lack of response, he contemplated driving the door down. Realizing that would be counterproductive, Hansel swore to himself and settled in for a long night. He would speak to his bride in the morning.

Chapter Eleven: Return to the Woods

Gretel looked around and could only see trees as far as her eyes traveled. At her feet sat a basket and a small fire cracked cheerfully nearby. One minute she had been in the castle and the next breath she had found herself here. Laughing a bit, Gretel sat down and placed her head in her hands.

"To think where I might be had I found more pebbles.." An owl hooted in response and she laughed again. "Married to the man I have been wishing to marry for as long as I can remember, and he is with another woman on my wedding night while I am stuck in the forest."

Opening the basket, Gretel found a cloak and a few provisions inside. Pulling the cloak out, she tried to make herself as comfortable as possible and drifted off to sleep.

***

The next morning, Hansel was in a foul mood. His wife had not responded to the maid knocking on the door, nor had she opened it when he finally pounded on it and demanded she let him in. Finally to the point of not caring, he had one of his soldiers knock it in. To the surprise of all, they found the room empty. The bed was cold and still made, a nearly full glass of wine rested on the table beside.

Walking to the bed, Hansel frowned to see half a loaf of bread sitting in the middle of the coverlet. The majority of it had been shredded to crumbs and a simple note lay on the top. Lifting it from the mess, Hansel opened it to read the contents. Anger steeled his features and the missive found itself crumpled into his hand. Turning to his man, his voice spoke calmer than the rage he felt within, "ready my horse and enough provisions for a few weeks. That blasted Fae has stolen away my wife."

***

The castle buzzed with the news of it, servants scrambling. The King had gotten on his horse and left before the first of his guest had awoken for the morning. The festivities of the wedding had taken on a cast of mourning. Lady Georgio had taken the news harshly and locked herself in her chambers, weeping at the loss of her daughter. By the time the nobles had organized themselves enough to begin a search party, Hansel was gone and only the cryptic note remained.

Return to the Woods, Kingling.

Where a house of sweets and candy held you thrall.

You have three days to find her before I make her unable to be found.

***

Hansel's horse had been exhausted by the time that they made it to Gretel's childhood home. The small house still stood, yet the disrepair made it clear no one had been there for years. Turning his eyes up the steep hill to the woods, he scowled. During his ride, he had tried to convince himself that he only needed to get her back for the treaty. Yet for some reason the idea of losing her had caused a deep welling of pain.

Finally accepting that he had a growing fondness for the girl, Hansel left his horse near the ruined house. Pumping a tough of water and leaving the beast to roam and eat the grasses and flowers as he pleased, Hansel took his pack and started up the hill on foot.

***

The morning had brought the sound of songbirds to Gretel's ears and she woke with a smile. Stretching leisurely, she turned her face to the sun even as she recalled where she was. Sighing, Gretel opened her eyes to see the tall trees stretched above her and the last remains of a fire reduced to smoldering embers.

Standing, she began to kick dirt onto the coals only to turn and see a small bucket of water. Apparently she had not been fully abandoned in the forest and she shook her head as she drank greedily then used some of the water to wash her face and hands. Turning the remaining contents onto the fire to make sure it was out, she scooped up the basket and began wandering.

After some time, she heard an odd clicking noise to her right. Stopping, she held her breath and waited for some sort of wild animal to rush out of the trees. Instead, there was a flutter of wings and another click as something dropped to the ground. Collecting her courage, Gretel moved through the brush to investigate.

She saw a sparrow swoop down from the trees with a pebble in its feet. The bird dropped the small rock then hopped to a breadcrumb and took it up in its beak. Another soft thud and a robin did the same, then a pair of doves. Laughing a bit, Gretel could not help but shake her head at Ravynth's sense of humor. Birds fluttered ahead then disappeared out of her line of sight. Shrugging a bit Gretel began to follow the small trail of pebbles, walking ever deeper into the forest.

***

The end of the first day, Hansel was feeling less than proud at his accomplishments. Most of the woods had been so thick and tangled that he'd had to chop his way through. Thinking back, he could not recall it being so difficult. Worn and more than a little tired, Hansel had finally broken into a clearing. In the middle sat a ring of stones and the remnants of a fire. Walking over to it, he nudged the mess of coals with his boot. It was recent. Something glittered at him from the dirt nearby and he crouched to find a small hair pin. Carved into a delicate flower, the indigo gemstone glittered in the last of the failing light. "Gretel.."

He breathed a slight sigh of relief. "Gretel!" His voice echoed through the trees and a number of birds took sudden flight. There was, however, no answer. Frowning, Hansel touched the dirt where she had slept the night before, his eyes tracing the area until he found a slight set of footprints leading back into the trees. Tucking the pin into his pack, Hansel began collecting bits of firewood. The light would be gone too quickly to risk losing her trail. Settling down for the night, he played out the different ways he would strangle that damned Fae over and over in his head once he got his wife back.

***

Gretel had traveled down the small pebbled path, not really paying attention to where she was going. Then again, it would not have helped her much even if she had tried. Walking for hours, she swore that she had looped and curved enough to be nearly at the beginning of where she had started.