A Fool Stumbles Into Love

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Cal stumbled, "I'm sorry. I never saw you in the daylight before."

She gave him a disgusted look, "Come on, let's go out back. "She took his hand, "Come on."

Like a puppy, he followed along.

They walked all around the yard. She held his hand, and showed him the different places where she thought a gazebo would work. She talked about each potential site, trying to give him some clues about what she thought would work best in each place.

After showing him several places she asked, "Well what do you think?"

He'd been day dreaming, "About what?"

"About where to put the gazebo?"

He'd already made up his mind about that. The first place she picked was far and away the best location. He didn't mention that, "Would it be too much trouble if I asked you something?"

Maureen was getting impatient, "What?"

Cal stood there for what seemed like an hour; actually it was more like fifteen seconds. Even then he thought he was going too fast. He was scared. He looked at her. He looked at her lips. He wanted to kiss those lips. Jesus, he felt like a complete fool. What kind of dumb ass was he? How stupid, "You have a boyfriend?"

She laughed, "Don't know, haven't decided."

"Decided about what," he asked?

Maureen thought, like clay in my hands. She stepped forward, put the fingers of her left hand to the nape of his neck. She leaned forward and kissed him, "Just don't know yet."

He was breathing heavily. He hadn't felt like this since he was in the ninth grade and he was with Carolyn Marcum. He put his arms around her, and he kissed her again, "Thanks," he said.

Maureen looked at him like he was some kind of asshole, "Thanks for what?"

He tried to pull her close again.

She pushed him away, "Down boy,' she was a little nervous, "have you picked a location?"

Cal did the best he could to recover," Uh, I think the first place is the best, has the flattest hardest ground. We can sink some footers, and build the floor on them." He kept watching her facial expressions. God she was pretty.

"How long do you think it will take you," she paused, 'to get the whole thing done I mean."

He came back to earth, "A week, maybe ten days if it doesn't rain."

She asked, "Where are you going to get the supplies?"

Beautiful cheeks he thought. She has dimples, "Lowe's I guess."

Maureen proffered, "You go ahead order the stuff, and pay for it, and I'll pay you back."

He'd already decided, no matter how much it cost, he'd cover everything, "No I'll get it."

She responded, "Yes, you get it and I'll pay for the materials."

"No I'll do it all," he said.

She put her hands on her hips, "You're really stupid Caleb Burkheim. You do the work. I'll help, but I'll pay for the materials." She caught herself. She'd used his full name. She hoped he hadn't noticed.

He'd noticed. She'd called him by name. How could she have known, if she hadn't asked around? He stepped over close like he was going to kiss her again, but she pushed him away.

"Oh no, big boy, you're Sandy's boyfriend," She knew that wasn't really the case, but she was having trouble with her emotions. She liked him.

He stuttered a little, "Gee, it's really nice you said my whole name. I was beginning to wonder if you knew it"

"Oh just shut up. Let's figure what supplies we'll need."

After calculating their supply and equipment needs, and calling them in to Lowe's Cal suggested they go to the carnival. Maureen had nothing else to do, and so she agreed.

At the carnival they visited the American Legion stand first and made a donation. Then they wandered around checking out the rides, the concessions, and all the gaming sites.

He bought her cotton candy, pizza, and they shared a coke. It cost him a little money but he managed to win her one of the smaller stuffed animals. Maureen took it, but declaimed his efforts as silly and unnecessary. They took a turn on the Ferris wheel, but declined the Octopus.

While they were strolling near the music stand Maureen saw Sandy with a group of men. One of them was the guy she'd decided to reward the other night. Maureen turned to Cal, "This has been very nice, but," looking at her wristwatch she added, "I need to get back now."

Cal had been having a good time, but deferred, "Sure, besides," he said, "I'd like a second look at our gazebo site before the wood and everything gets there."

They drove back to Maureen's and walked around rechecking her parent's backyard. Maureen thought about the fun they'd had at the carnival, the fireworks the night before, his determination to build her a gazebo even after she'd ripped him off. This was a nice boy. Actually boy was the wrong term. Regardless of some of the backwardness, he was every bit a man. She didn't like what Sandy what was doing. She liked her part in it even less.

Near the end of the backyard recheck Cal made another blundering attempt at a kiss. Maureen pushed him away, "No way bonehead, you're Sandy's meat."

Cal retreated. Yeah he thought. He was Sandy's boyfriend. Not completely certain of her last answer he asked again, "You say you don't have a boyfriend."

Maureen gave him the same response, "I said not yet."

"Have you got anybody in mind?"

Maureen smirked, "I'm not sure."

Cal was a little disappointed, "Let me know when you decide."

"I might," she answered. She walked him to his truck, opened his door for him, and saw him off. Watching him pull down the dirt road she gave herself a little hug. As the warm afternoon breeze whispered through her hair, she murmured, "I've got to stop her." She went inside to get fixed up.

While Maureen was inside showering, selecting a different dress, and picking out the make up she'd need for the showdown, Sandy was busy with Skip and her other friends. They'd left the carnival and gone straight back to the tavern; the plan was to have a few more rounds of something alcoholic, a nap at home, a late night at the country club, followed by another something special for Skip.

On his way home Cal decided to stop off at the tavern. He hadn't seen Warren in a couple days, and hoped he'd catch up with him. One of the things he had on his mind that needed Warren's attention was the gazebo. There were some situations where another set of man's hands would be needed. He couldn't think of a better set than Warren's.

As he pulled into the lot at the tavern he saw Sandy's car. Great, he thought. He could find Warren, set a day for him, and do a reset on his date with Sandy the next evening.

Walking in the bar he saw her. She was with that Skip fellow and some of his cohorts. He didn't especially like Skip, not just because he seemed always be hanging around Sandy, but because the guy had a reputation. The closer he got to their stools the less comfortable he felt; it looked like Sandy was doing the hanging. In fact she had her arms draped all over Skip's shoulders.

When he got close enough he said, "Hi, everyone having a good time."

Sandy twirled around, if she was surprised she hid it very well, "Cal, where have you been. I thought we had an afternoon date."

"No, we're up for tomorrow night." He looked at Skip, "How you doing?"

Skip replied, "Just great old buddy."

Sandy moved to Cal and wrapped her arms around him, "I'm sorry about the fireworks. Maureen called me, said you and she were quite an item last night."

That was news to Cal, "Not exactly. We watched the fireworks from my boat, but she went to sleep. I took her home when they were over." He wanted to get off that subject, "I'm going to build her a gazebo."

"A what?"

"A gazebo, you know a sheltered structure. She wants one for her father, and I agreed to build it for her."

Sandy smiled, "I know what a gazebo is. Why do you have to build it? Can't she get someone else?"

"She sort of asked me."

"What now she's your girlfriend."

Cal was baffled. It was just a gazebo. "No she's not my girlfriend. You are."

Skip and the guys chuckled.

Sandy acted like she was hurt, "You could have offered to build me a gazebo."

Cal was completely duped, "Come on. She asked, and I said I'd help. That's all." He added, "Heck, she even had some plans she'd worked up."

Sandy laughed, "I don't care. Maureen's Dad deserves one." She did another pirouette, "I have to go now. There's a dance at the country club tonight." She looked at Cal, You're not a member are you?"

Cal sheepishly answered, "No."

Sandy smiled, "Too bad. Well have to go." She turned around and gave every man there a kiss on the cheek. Last to be kissed was Cal, "Bye now. See you tomorrow."

Cal watched her go. He wondered why she didn't invite him to the country club, but then again he knew why. He paid for his beer. Said good bye to all the guys standing around, and left.

Later that night Maureen found Sandy at the country club, "Sandy we need to talk."

"You bet we do," responded Sandy.

Maureen started first, "I'm uncomfortable with what going on with you and Cal."

"Really," responded Sandy.

"You shouldn't be taking advantage of him like this. He really likes you, and he thinks you're his girlfriend."

"Well he is Maureen."

"No you're not. You're just using him. What's going to happen when he finds out the truth?"

Sandy was a little tired of Maureen's involvement with what she was doing with Cal, "What's the difference to you Maureen? I'll be back in school in a few days, and you'll be off doing whatever it is you do. Cal will have had a little fantasy, and no one will be the wiser."

"That's not true and you know it Sandy. He's falling in love with you. He'll be hurt."

Sandy wasn't moved, "Oh so what! What do they say? Into life a little rain must fall. So he gets hurt. He'll survive."

"Look Sandy, let this one go."

Sandy gave Maureen a suspicious look, "What's your interest in this guy. You afraid if he finds out he won't build your gazebo?"

It had been evolving over the past several days, but Maureen finally realized she no longer liked her friend Sandy, "I could give a shit abut the gazebo. Cal's a nice guy. He deserves better."

Sandy laughed, "Just think of all the fun you'll have consoling him after I'm gone." She walked away, leaving her girlfriend to stew.

Maureen didn't stay. She didn't feel like dancing anymore. She looked around the country club. Mostly they were a pretty nice bunch, but she knew there was an element, a tiny contingent, who got off on hurting people like Cal. Skip was one of them, and too late, she realized so was Sandy.

When Maureen got home she found there was a phone message on her family's house line. It was Lowe's. They'd be dropping off the lumber sometime in the morning the day after next. She knew she needed to be there to sign a receipt.

Cal felt guilty about having taken Maureen to see the fireworks and then to the carnival. True he'd had a great time, and sure he and Sandy weren't officially boy and girlfriend yet, but they were pretty close. He stopped in at Waxman's Jeweler's and picked out a locket. It wasn't real expensive, but it was still pretty nice. He had them wrap it up and put a bow on the box. He'd give it to Sandy when he went to meet her at the tavern the next evening. He still didn't know why she kept insisting on being picked up at the tavern, but if that's what she wanted, that's what she'd get.

Part Five:

The next evening rolled around. Cal had worked at the office all day, and though tired, was still excited about his date with Sandy. He planned on giving her the locket right away, sort of show off, then they'd go to a movie, and perhaps later pitch a little woo. He dressed up for the occasion. He ironed a fresh button down shirt, and slipped into a pair of khaki trousers he hadn't worn in six months. There was a small horizontal crease across the tops of the legs, but he figured no one would notice. He shaved closely, and slapped on some Old Spice aftershave, hopped in the truck, and rolled off toward town.

Sandy got to the tavern early. She'd gotten a call from Skip who told her he had tickets to that night's college basketball game between their local heroes and the big crosstown rivals. Crosstown was nationally ranked so everyone expected it to be an exciting match. She was kind of sick of Cal's obsequious fawning and doting anyway. Let Maureen have him. If she was worried about him so much, let her hold his limp dishrag hands. She was off to the basketball game.

Maureen decided to wait till everyone was there before she went to the tavern. She'd bought a new dress. It was a dark blue mini with a plunging neckline that prominently displayed her well endowed chest. She didn't exactly know what she would do, but she had it in her mind to snatch Cal away from Sandy. Her woman's intuition told her Cal was cooling toward Sandy a little anyway. If she played her cards right she might get Cal out of Sandy's clutches before he realized what a fool they'd made of him. Maureen had figured it out. She wasn't doing this out of guilt or pity. She really wanted the guy. Maureen considered; if he was stupid, it was stupid in a good way, a way she liked.

Sandy was standing at the bar with her arms all over Skip when Cal walked in. His heart jumped in his throat, and his bowels turned to ice. He knew it had been too good to be true. No girl like Sandy would have anything to do with him for long. Why had he been such a fool? He should have remembered to have worn a hat, then no one would see the big sign on his forehead; the sign that read loser in big capital letters.

He walked over to the bar. His whole life was passing before him. He would have cried, but he was still holding out, hope against all hope, "Hi Sandy. You're here early."

Sandy still had her arm around Skip. She acted real innocent, like nothing was out of the ordinary, "Oh hi Cal. How're you doing?"

"We have a date, remember?"

"Oh that, well I'm going to have to cancel," she looked up at Skip, "Skip's got tickets to basketball, and I'm going with him, She smiled sympathetically, "Why don't you call me tomorrow?"

Cal heard the soft laughter, the chuckles, the giggling. He'd been right all along. He was a fool, an asshole, a sucker, "That's OK. I think I have something to do tomorrow." Though tricked, trapped, and humiliated, he was still too much of a fool to just walk off, "Anyway, I bought you this." He handed her the package.

Sandy took it, "Thanks, do you want me to open it now?"

Cal wasn't that big a fool, "No open it later," he paused just long enough to look at the smug expression on Skip's face, "Wait till after the game."

Sandy held the package in her hand, turning it this way and that.

Cal said, "I've got to go, catch you all later." He waved and left the bar. Laughter and giggling followed him all the way out the door.

Cal stepped on the lot outside the tavern just in time to see the two biker guys from earlier get off their cycles.

One looked at the other, "Isn't that the guy who?"

The other looked at his buddy, "Yeah."

They went straight for Cal.

Cal figured, oh hell why not. Let's get the shit kicked out of us tonight too. Nothing else could go wrong.

The two guys closed in.

Cal stood stiffly. He hoped it was a sufficiently manly pose. It was about all he had.

One grabbed him by his just ironed shirt, and started pushing him against a dirty late model car.

It never happened. No one hit him. Cal was spared. From out of nowhere a swift karate chop descended on the guy who'd grabbed his shirt. Cal looked down ad saw him writhing in pain. His buddy was already in full retreat. It had been a one shot conflict, and it was over.

Standing in front of him was Maureen. She looked like Chuck Norris, poised to rip somebody's head off, "You OK Cal?"

Oh Jesus H. Christ thought Cal. The girl he thought he was protecting several nights back was a karate expert. He hadn't, couldn't, didn't protect anybody. She was ten times the man he'd ever be. There he stood, wrinkled up shirt, grit and dirt all over his horizontally creased pants, having just been rescued by a girl. Not just any girl, the girl who wiped him up in pool.

He looked at her, "You know karate?"

Maureen answered, "Actually I'm a karate instructor. I teach it to the kids at my storefront, and offer additional instruction at some of the colleges."

Cal was absolutely, totally, irrevocably crushed. He'd never been so thoroughly and completely humiliated, "The other night. You didn't need me."

Maureen saw the confusion, then the humiliation on his face. This was the last thing she wanted, "Cal!"

He was down, but not inert, "You knew about Sandy too."

"Cal I'm sorry." She started toward him; if anybody ever needed someone, it was him.

He held up his hands defensively, "No. Leave me alone." He turned. He didn't run, though he wanted to, but he strode as fast as he could to his truck, got in, slammed the door, and spun out. He drove off as fast as he could. He turned up the radio as loud as it would play. He smashed his fist into the dashboard. He found a side road, a road hardly anybody knew and turned off. He drove maybe a mile up the road, pulled over, and had one hell of a good long cry.

He told himself over and over, 'You knew it would happen; it always happens. Girls don't like you. They never take you seriously. Why are you so stupid, and why does it always have to hurt?'

Maureen didn't bother going into the tavern. She knew what had happened. Sandy had told her over the phone she was ditching Cal for a basketball game. Maureen wanted to cry, but knew it wouldn't do any good. She was angry, but she was only angry at herself. She couldn't just blame Sandy; after all they'd been in it together, maybe not exactly, but Maureen had known what Sandy had been doing, and she'd done nothing about it. Now a nice guy, a really decent guy, maybe the only real man in the area had been made to look a fool. Sandy had done it, but she'd done it too.

Maureen drove home in a funk. She had to make this right. Hell she liked the guy. To be honest, she wanted him. By the time she'd gotten home she had it figured. He was building her gazebo. The wood was on its way. She help, she'd be 'Miss Helpful'. She'd fix lunch every day. They'd talk. Hell he was interesting. She'd make him fall for her. He'd be her boyfriend. She'd work it out.

When Maureen got home she saw her parent's home answering machine light was flickering. She clicked it on, "Hello, this is Cal. I'm sorry, but something's come up at work. I won't be available to do your gazebo, so if you would just cancel the wood order we'll call it even Steven."

'Oh no,' thought Maureen. 'It's worse than I thought!'

The next morning, bright and early the Lowe's truck pulled in the driveway and dumped off the wood and supplies. Maureen looked it all over. What was she supposed to do? She hadn't bought it. Cal had insisted that he buy it. She was fully ready to pay him back once the damned thing was built, but now what should she do? She was stuck; a mountain of wood, a ton of nails, heaps of bags filled with concrete and sand, and box after box of metal kinds of things she'd never seen before.

Maureen checked her watch. It was early. She bet Cal, though also an early riser probably wasn't up yet. She bet he'd hang around in bed or around his house most of the day. She called him on his home phone. It rang the usual four times, and she quickly left a message, "Cal you have to get over here right away. I need you. Lowe's dropped all this stuff off, and I don't know what to do. I need you." She added for emphasis, "Please come over." She hung up right away. She didn't want to get into a phone conversation; that would be a discussion she'd be sure to lose.

Cal heard the phone, and he heard the voice mail. It had been a long night. After his initial crying and reckless driving jag, he spent much of the rest of the night at home flicking through the television channels trying to find something appropriately violent to assuage his anger. By 4:00 a.m. he'd come to the conclusion most of what happened was his own fault, and even then the worst of it wasn't that big a deal. He knew from the start he'd end up the loser; so where was the big surprise?