A Gilded Cage Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"And what is said of him?"

"Lots miss, all sorts is said. All of the women want him, some because he's attractive, but mostly because of his money, his family and his position - that is what those sorts of women want in a man - but I have never thought he had much time for them. The common people like him quite well though. He looks like a lord of old and that they like, but they feel he gets things done and tends to make things work even if he is a bit ruthless at times. There's been a bit of trouble with rebels lately and a lot of people are scared of them. They'd rather have a powerful lord who isn't afraid to do unpleasant things to protect them than a vacillating weakling." She seemed to think she had said too much and stopped, concentrating on piling Aneira's hair into complicated buns and braids.

"What of my country? Is all well there?"

"I don't really know miss. I'm not even sure where it is, none of us know much about it. It is a hidden valley with mysterious mineral wealth. Hence you being a fairy miss. That and your looks. We don't know much about your home and you're all such slight, fair people. That lad who broke in here was a fine looking man, but slim and lithe."

She had forgotten about Telor. How could she have let herself forget about Telor? She was furious with herself. She wondered what had happened. Surely he would be dead by now. She hoped it had been quick and that he had never known it was coming, that he felt no pain or fear.

"People talk and people like to fit things into stories and what they know. I tell'em that you aren't a fairy because fairies can't be held by walls and slip through to skip through forests again. But I'm sorry miss I shouldn't remind you that you are stuck here. There now miss, I'm done. A queen indeed."

Aneira looked in the mirror. She did look like a queen - her hair full of silver and moonstones and folds of silk flowing out as she moved. She didn't feel like one though. She had had two older brothers and a father far from the end of life. This was not her role. She had not been prepared for this.

She went and sat in the library in silence, taking Kitten with her - she really would have to name him - and reading in a corner as he gambled around the room exploring and pouncing on nothing in particular.

"Afternoon, pretty dove." She heard his voice from across the room and looked up from her book. He stroke over to her and kissed her. "You look beautiful" he murmured "but colour tomorrow please." He straightened and looked down at her, far more seriously. "As I told you I have company for lunch, they work for various mining companies and are responsible for ensuring good relationships with locals such that the operations run smoothly and there is no threat to the investment. You are free to speak openly when asked direct questions. Answer honestly. It is best that we know about any possible difficulties now. I will not punish you for anything you might say so long as you are polite, truthful, and helpful. Do you understand?"

"Yes lord. I will tell you what I can." He led her down a hall to a mid-sized formal dining room, with six places set at one end of its long table. Rather than sitting her down her placed a hand in the small of her back and guided her over to one of the tall windows. They looked out over parkland rather than the formal gardens and she thought it quite beautiful.

"I will go riding in the estate tomorrow. Do you ride? I would like you to join me. Would you like to see the grounds a little closer?"

"Yes lord, I can ride and I would very much like to see the estate. But lord I am afraid that I may find it rather uncomfortable to sit in a saddle long enough to get out of the stables."

"I had thought of that, and suggest that you ride side-saddle. If it is at all uncomfortable then tell me and we will stop, but you are better riding side-saddle anyway. It would be less than proper to allow otherwise."

The door clicked. "Ah, Charles, I am sorry, I see that you are occupied, I will wait."

Turning, the general responded: "no no, please, do come in, and bring the others." Three men and a woman filed in, all middle aged, and smartly dressed. All eyes were on her, and it was making her very uncomfortable.

"Rachel, Simon, Robert, George, may I introduce you to the Queen Aneira, without whom our little venture would not be possible and Aneira, my pet, this is Rachel, Simon, Robert, and George, who work for the four leading mining groups." All four bowed and he laughed. "We are not on ceremony here, friends" and catching sight of Aneira's surprise spoke softly in her ear "you will get used to it."

Robert, the one who had lead the four in, smiled at her and spoke gently "you are quite as enchanting as the rumours have it, your majesty." This use of her formal style amused the general greatly and he gestured for them all to sit down, taking the seat at the head of the table with Aneira on her left.

"There is no need for any titles, styles, fuss, or nonsense. This is business, not court." He was clearly in an exceptional mood. "I have ordered lunch for around five minutes' time - I thought we would all work better on full stomachs - but it is a chance to discuss plans in general terms.

"We are lucky to have the benefit of the knowledge of someone whose family have ruled the area for thousands of years so Aneira, would you start? How best can we ensure productive and amicable relations with the locals? A small amount of well-targeted resentment can play havoc with a remote mining operation so your insights would be appreciated."

It was a little daunting to speak so freely in front of him after his previous strictness but once she began she found it natural again. "The gods of the woods are very dear to my people, and you would do best to accommodate that. They will tolerate change and necessary loss but not large-scale destruction and certainly not if they feel it is needless. Therefore it is wise not to clear larger areas than you must, to keep unsightly works hidden by hills, and to not pollute rivers. I'm sure this is all very standard, but it is a sensitivity."

Simon nodded at this and added "quite understandable and easily managed. These are likely to be deep shaft mines not open excavation so with work they should be barely visible."

"I'm sure it won't be a problem then. There is more though. There are a number of trees held in exceptionally high regard. They and their groves are sacred and may not be disturbed - doing so would be seen as an unforgivable act. They are believed to be ancestor spirits. Damage to them will cause irrevocable strife between you and the local populations."

"How may we identify and avoid such places?" It was Rachel this time who spoke. The general's hand was on her leg under the table, lightly caressing her thigh, but she continued regardless.

"Communicate to a local priestess that you wish to see them protected and have her help identify all the areas that are of value to her. Most will help willingly if they can be assured that doing so will ensure the areas' protection from being accidentally damaged in any road building you may have to do. They are few and usually very isolated so I doubt there will be trouble, but by making open commitment to their protection you may gain the good will off many."

"It is exactly that sort of local sensitivity that is worth knowing, pet. It is very easy to avoid trouble but a great deal of trouble if we are careless. Thank you." The general looked exceedingly pleased with her. "Is there anything else?"

"One more thing that may be difficult. Though your ownership of me gives you absolute right over these lands under your own laws, my people will not see it that way. I must be publically seen to give my consent to it. Many of my people see me as a traitor, but my claim to the throne is undisputed and we have a tradition of divine right to rule. It may placate moderates and diminish support for trouble."

"It is no trouble for us to have your signature on the forms, but it will have to be alongside Charles' as his is required as legal executor. But Charles does this present you any problems?" Robert looked earnestly troubled.

"It may be difficult but I understand the need and I am sure it can be worked out. There will have to be a small public event, which Aneira will attend at my side in the capacity of queen rather than slave. I cannot have a slave acting as queen and outranking me in the capital city, but it could be done in the old citadel at the head of the valley. Would you like to return home for a day, dove?"

She was entirely taken aback by this but nodded.

"That is an exceptional idea Charles. Any event in the capital here would have limited reach amongst the local population but a formal queen in residence, albeit temporary, at the traditional seat of monarchical power, would be a very effective statement of her support." And with Robert's rapturous support the others nodded. Lunch arrived and they continued to quiz her on the hierarchies of the small mountain communities and she told them a great deal more about various other cultural and religious sensitivities.

They talked for several hours, formalising plans, and making last arrangements. The general discussed the security that the army would be able to provide and how it would work with their own private forces. Aneira contributed regarding how this might be done to minimise any friction. It was a productive meeting and she was immensely glad of a chance to be genuinely helpful both to the general and, she hoped, to her own people. She welcomed the chance to exercise her mind. All thanked her as they left.

"My precious little bird what a font of useful information you are." The general had pulled her close to him and was looking down with what might have been pride. He kissed her deeply, his tongue hot on hers, and she allowed herself to get lost in his enveloping arms.

She felt bookcases hard against her back but that was not all she felt pressing against her. One of his hands had found a way inside the top of her dress and he kissed roughly as he ground his hips into hers. He was pushing against her, and she felt herself grow warm and wet. She kicked herself for reacting so easily to him.

"The things I want to do with you..." he growled in her ear. She felt his lust and frustration and more than a little of her own. Breaking away from him she dropped to her knees and placed a hand on the bulge in his trousers.

"Will this help lord?" Her eyes met his, lips apart, and a hand exactly where he wanted it. She intended to keep him in as good a mood as possible. Not only did it ease her existence but she hoped it would perhaps, one day, give her a chance at escape.

His hand joined hers and unbuckled his belt, saying nothing, but making himself quite clear. In a matter of moments his cock was free and she grasped it, licking and teasing him all over before taking him into her mouth. The way his smooth, velvety skin moved over the hot rod of iron at the core felt strangely pleasant against her tongue and she took him in deeper. His moans and the gentle caresses of his hand in her hair drove her on. She was enjoying herself. Perhaps it was the new found ability to control his pleasure as he had hers, or something in the act itself, but this was enjoyable beyond what she would have believed. She thought she was beginning to understand his love of controlling her desires.

As her cheeks started to ache and she thought she could not carry on much longer, she felt him stiffen and twitch as he had before and took him as deep as was comfortable, sucking him dry of the hot, bitter, seed. He held her there as he softened but eventually pulled away with a sigh and redressed.

"It isn't just words your mouth has a talent for." Taking her elbow he helped her to her feet and kissed her cheek. "Find that cat of yours - he's in here somewhere - and meet me in my bedroom. Bring your sewing or a book too. I have no real use for you for the rest of the day but you are decorative at least."

Sewing with Kitten proved impossible as he liked nothing better than attacking and tangling any loose threads so she put it away, out of the reach of tiny paws, and read instead. They passed the rest of the day quietly and slept in their usual tangle of limbs. He was gone before she woke.