A Line of Work Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Outside of the room, Raisel listened in on the activities. While she didn't notice the muffle spell Arvad had placed on the room, despite sensing latent magics, apparently she could still listen in through a wall in a certain spot. If she placed her ear on the wall, which she did by accident, she could hear what was going on in Arvad's room. She was tempted to interrupt the copulation, but decided against it many times over.

Just what the hell was that man doing? Sex obviously, but why? Sure he saved the lives of them and I, but that doesn't mean they should be willingly thanking him with sex... And why not me? Sure he is quite handsome, and I admitted out loud that he isn't bad to look at... First thing when we reach Alduin, we're dropping those girls.

Several other thoughts swam around Raisel's head among the ones just now. She also wondered if such encounters like Arvad's encounter with the two ex-slave girls were common in the world. She wondered when such an encounter would happen to her. On a side note, Raisel completely blocked out the blowjob the other day from her mind, it did not count in the slightest.

The capital city of Alduin, center of the Human land of Dasinex. This was their next destination.

-

Forwarding through the days of travel, Arvad and Raisel's party arrived at Alduin. Arvad dropped off Niela and Deliah at an Inn situated just outside of the walls, it was meant for passing travelers who didn't want to be searched by the city guard. Neither of them had suitable references that would get them into the city quickly and easily. You either had to be a citizen of the country, an important individual like a noble or ambassador, you could bribe the guards, or you could enter the city without qualifying for any of the previous mentioned ways by enduring a tedious process of questions and searches given by the guards.

In any case, both girls were safe, they could scream should any trouble arise. And besides, it wasn't like Arvad was obliged to do any more for them. He made this quite clear to Raisel as they neared the guard post at the gates. "You do realize that I'm a mercenary. I can spell that out for you if you don't know what it means."

"I do know you annoying man. That still doesn't tell me a decent reason why we left them there with no help. Raisel walked side by side with Arvad, though she tried to walk slightly ahead. Arvad's large stride forced Raisel to quicken her steps. "When women are rescued, people should escort them to a safe place, give them food, shelter, and money is possible. Why do you not do the same?"

"Ah, well, you mistake me for someone who does the work of a hero, a savior. I can play being those, but I am most assuredly not one." Arvad smiled and shook his head, "You can see that I escorted them, though probably not enough as you wished. Perhaps to a convent inside the city? Alduin is not so accepting as to left every man inside with three pretty women in tow. I can do well enough with just the one, but not three. And besides, I'm a tad lazy."

"How...Despicable."

"Ahaha! You got that much right. I'm not trying to brag, but there a couple rumors circulating around me. Some people like me, and more than some hate and despise me for what I am, a despicable person." Arvad threw his arms out in a grandeur movement. "Should those two women add to the rumors about me, as being friends or lovers or anything related... Well, they're in possible danger. Tis better not to risk it."

Raisel wasn't entirely convinced. "You could still give them some money, they must have lost everything when they were captured by the slavers. You have the Eyes of Derhal after all. They are worth far more than any set of jewels. Can you not give them even a portion of that amount?"

"Well, you forget that these Eyes are still the Eyes of Derhal. I have yet to turn them into meros. So I can't give them anything at all. I only have like... Around... two-hundred something meros."

Raisel never had to carry around money before. And 200 meros would be pocket change to her, less than pocket change actually when she was still at the Tessiol estate. However, now that she was on her own, with Arvad, she had to understand the importance of even a single mero. "Can you not give them some of that? Surely you can part with some of that 200."

She only received a frivolous answer. "Eh, I don't want to." Arvad widened his smile, clearly enjoying the conflict.

Raisel was fed up with Arvad. She told herself that she should never have accepted his proposal to protect her. She should have fought him, all the way. Mother had no right. She figured that it would be best to gather information on his abilities, should she choose to flee him after or during their stay in Alduin. Perhaps she could 'acquire' some of the money Arvad got from the Eyes of Derhal and hired her own group of bodyguards?

"'Old up there. Show me the proper papers and you'll be let in." A simple request was heard from one of the city guard stationed at the gates. He wore a plain suit of mail armor, a cap helmet, and a simple sword and shield. Just one of the many guards of the city.

Raisel was surprised by Arvad's diligence, as he pulled out two sets of papers, which must have been for him and Raisel herself. Did he get them from mother? Whatever, don't question an easy ticket into the city. "Right, here is mine and hers. Everything's in order, isn't it?"

The guard widened his eyes, he performed a triple take on Arvad and Raisel. Both of them were somewhat famous, the beautiful daughter of the Tessiol family, Raisel Tessiol, and the mercenary of rumors, Arvad Eversoul. The guard only stuttered something to his fellow guardsmen, all of which were equally surprised, if not more. The pairing was quite odd as well, their speculations as to what led to the pairing could brought up strange circumstances, though one bet that Arvad was posing as a bodyguard, which was correct. The guards didn't question the papers, though generally that was their prerogative, as any such papers may be forged.

Arvad and Raisel passed through the guards and entered the city which was full of interesting sights. Dasinex was considered the center of the world (at least to them), and a good amount of people from all sorts of races congregated in Alduin and other major cities. Of course humans outnumbered all those races by four to one, but it was still the place of the largest amalgamation of all races in the world.

Humans were quite open, at least compared to the other races. Though it varied among the different human nations. The Dominion of Sol, a theocracy, were quite unwilling to welcome anyone, even humans, though they would as long as if they were a fervent member of their church and religion.

In any case, Raisel admired the sights. Buildings of all shapes and sizes, some even with a completely different type cultural influence in their architecture. They passed a market stall which supposedly sold glorious Dwarven weaponry. Raisel saw several humans browsing the stall, each surveying a unique variation of swords, axes, and maces. There was even a strange weapon which was a sharpened chakram fixed on a hilt.

It wasn't long until Raisel saw some of the non-human races. She saw a group of Orcs, tall, strong, and stereotypically green. They each wore set of leather straps which practically didn't cover anything but their lower body, each also held on to a large two handed weapon. Perhaps they a part of a special group?

Raisel also saw a rather unique group which garnered the gazes of quite a few people in the crowds walking along the streets. It was one that even caused Arvad to turn his gaze. A group of five Elves, the first was a Drow, a Dark Elf and from the Elves of the Underground, he had dark blue skin which originated from their race living mainly underground with the Dwarves. The second was a tanned Elf with a contrasting set of white hair, he was a a Sand Elf, a part of the Elves of the Desert. The third was a female with pale skin and hair of sunlight, she was undoubtedly a High Elf, the Elves of the Mountains, also one of Raisel's kin. The fourth had light blue skin and blue pale hair, this male Elf was from the Sea Elves, the Elves of the Islands. And finally, the fifth Elf was a female with yellow-brown skin and stark brown hair, this female belonged to the iconic Wood Elves, the Elves of the Forests.

This group was quite unique, it was considered never possible for the five Elven nations to cooperate or even flick a smile to each other. Some of the five nations may be allied to one another, but they would never cooperate with the other four, not even the other three. Whatever circumstances brought these five Elves of different backgrounds together, could not be fathomed by anyone not involved.

Raisel continued to sight see, she admired a cathedral, a military barracks, a magitorium, and a beautiful arboretum filled with plants not from around Dasinex. Eventually, she turned towards Arvad, as she was quite curious to her destination, "Mister Eversoul, where in gods name are we going? Not that I mind, but we have been walking for quite awhile. Are you not going to sell the Eyes somewhere?"

"Eh, well... I don't plan on selling them."

Raisel tilted her head quizzically, "Then what's the point of you having the Eyes? The Eyes themselves are quite useless to those who can't flaunt its status. Unless you sell it, you won't get any profit out of it."

"Now that's where you're wrong. I Don't plan to sell the Eyes nor use it for its status, I plan to trade it."

Raisel tilted her head even more this time. Trade it? Trade it for what? "Barter?"

"Yea, there's an auction type place that specializes in bartering. I want to go there to trade the Eyes for something. They Eyes, as we all know, are the most valuable jewels in the world. There is no way I can't get what I want unless no one has it."

"And what do you want? What would an odd mercenary like you need?"

"Hey hey! If you say it like that, I'm just a purveyor of strange trinkets with no use. No, I want a new sword." Arvad pulled his sword out of his scabbard. It was a different design than most, a silver pommel and guard along with a double tempered edge. "This guy here is a silver sword. It's not very useful for prolonged or excessive conflicts, which I seem to get into quite often."

"Silver swords... What is so special about those?"

"They are quite strong against certain beings. They burn and devastate the bodies of were-animals, apparitions, and the undead. They are not suited for clashes against anything but those, the sword will dent and dull when used against other weapons or armor."

"I see, and what kind of sword do you need? Surely the Eyes are far worth more than any sword you will find at a bartering auction."

"Maybe so, but I'm willing to trade them for a sword of the highest caliber. Not just any magic or crafted weapon, I'm only willing to settle for a holy sword... Perhaps even a demonic one? I don't really care which duality my sword will be from, as long as if it will serve its purpose." Arvad let out another one of his trademark smiles of frivolity while saying this. He honestly didn't care if he acquired a sword of the damned or exonerated. He was only loyal to the path that allowed him to continue an interesting existence. This man certainly didn't compare to the characters of the books she read.

"I-I see... Though what if you don't find such a sword in this suction house?"

"Then we will continue on to the mountains of the High Elves. If I cannot find a powerful sword here, there is no possible way I cannot find a quality weapon there. The High Elves are known for not having a monetary system, only a bartering system. And people as ancient and powerful as the High Elves will surely have such a sword that I desire."

"And what if they do not wish to part with one? The Eyes of Derhal may not interest them."

"Ha! Even if that's the case, which it won't, then their sword will sit in the cobwebs forever, collecting layer after layer of dust... How dull." Arvad let out a mock sadness. "Don't worry, I can assure you that a trade will be possible.

The two walked a distance longer, until they reached a building holding a silk seamstress. "But first! You need some new clothes. We can't have the daughter of the Tessiol family walk into such an extravagant auction house without a decent set of attire. Don't worry, your mother won't mind if you your family's account."

As Raisel entered the store, she was presented with extravagant, elegant dresses of all sizes. Raisel, upon finding a set of silks she rather liked, contemplated the idea of running away from Arvad through the back of the store. However, it was only a fleeting thought which she tossed out of her mind after happening upon an outfit she liked. It was a blouse that allowed her to move comfortable around the city and be the center of attention at a party.

After deciding upon a small selection of outfits, for travel and showrooms, Raisel payed for them using a mark of her family. The Tessiol family was quite famous after all, these marks were used for large scale payments as carrying around sacks of meros were not convenient. Raisel used one such mark for convenience. She didn't tell Arvad that she had the marks, but she bet on the fact that he knew about them anyway. The clothes were folded and placed in bag which was then carried out to Arvad.

"Eh? You want me to carry your belongings? AHAHAHAHA! Thas a good one."

"You cannot seriously expect me, the daughter of the Tessiol family as you say, to carry around sacks of clothing."

"Actually, no I don't. You're too damn lazy and up there to one with your adventurous spirit. Listen lass, if you want to be traveling to different places, without the amenities of your rich family, you've got to settle in on the lifestyle of wanderer. If you don't want to carry your stuff around, that's what packhorses are for. Those and slaves, but I'm not a fan of slavery as you already know."

Raisel remembered the horses she, Arvad, and the freed girls came to Alduin on. two of them were taken from the slavers and used for convenience, and the other two belonged Arvad, one for riding and the other for carrying his belongings.

Arvad continued, "I'm going to get keep one of those horses we borrowed from the slavers, which you can ride on. My packhorse is quite sturdy and will be able to carry your clothing along with my belongings."

Another hour passed as Arvad and Raisel found a suitable place to store their belongings and stay the night in the city. Both people changed into clothing suited for a fancy auction house. Arvad stored his silver sword and rifle in the lodge, keeping his pistol and knives. Raisel had the question about the sword answered, but what about the guns?

She asked this as they walked to the auction, "I am curious about your guns. The Tessiol guards only have the rudimentary firearms devised by the dwarves. Yet, yours are different... Are they magic guns? I've heard about those."

"Ah, I was waiting for you to ask that. Been keeping my explanation in for too long. Well, to begin... Magic guns are used to bring out the magic power of those who have even the littlest amount of. Men and women who have latent magical power, but not enough to use larger spells, can use magic guns to utilize their magic power. Magic guns can be used to fire any kind of bolt, though once you use a fresh gun to fire... Let's say a bolt of ice, then that gun is locked to an affinity of ice. My two guns are different." Arvad took a deep breath, and continued on with his explanation which Raisel was quite interested in. "A certain very powerful Archmage created a set of magic guns that wasn't locked to one affinity. They were called the elemental guns. Provided you knew how to use magic of each part of the elements, you could fire the guns using every elemental affinity, from lightning to wind, from fire to ice. As you guessed, those guns are quite rare, and expensive. I've only been able to get my hands on two. And besides, magic guns are looked down upon my many magicians of all types. Mages who use magic guns are considered weak and witless. This Archmage didn't believe in that philosophy and created the elemental guns to prove that magic guns are useful tools to mages. In the end, he only created about a little more than a hundred and fifty of these guns. I'm lucky to even have two."

"Then the bolt of ice and that massive air pressure I saw the other day when you rescued me, was a result of the guns?"

"You catch on quickly. Yup yup. I am obviously strong and skilled." If Arvad was an embodiment of sin, then it would certainly be pride. "And I want to use weapons that can increase my potential ability. Hence the elemental guns and the holy or demonic sword I want. Also, these knives I own aren't any normal knives, but I'll leave that to another day. Ahah! We're here."

Raisel looked forward, and past the crowds she could see an grandiose and lavish building obviously meant for the rich. A place where they could exchange valuable artifacts of all shapes, sizes, and backgrounds.

They entered the building to find many different people, mostly humans, but some of the other races as well. There was a group of dwarves perusing a several sets of armor. An Orc polishing a jeweled warhammer, a Wood Elf admiring a set of delicately carved chimes, and many more. However, none of these items compared to the Eyes of Derhal in Arvad's possession. The pair walked to a man shouting to several employees, he must be one of the heads managing this auction place.

"Ah, excuse me, my good man. Where am I to be to sign up my object of interest."

"HEY, those plates go over there for... Sakes. I'm terribly sorry Sir and Madam. You can sign up over there with that fellow holding the board. Tonight is quite busy, we have a special item today and its causing quite an uproar."

"Ohoh? What might that special item be?"

The manager was quite flustered, it was indeed a busy night. "Well, a man from the Merchant's Association brought in one of the fabled Eyes, the Eyes of Garrow."

Arvad planted his palm in his face, "You have got to be kidding me."

"Why is that? Having the eyes on sale or for barter is a momentous occasion!"

"Well, I just happen to also be bringing in one of the Eyes, the Eyes of Derhal." The manager staggered back, Arvad then went on, "But if there is going to be the Eyes of Garrow, then I see no point in putting up my pair of Eyes for barter. Hrmm... I don't suppose there are any unique swords for barter, is there?"

"Ah... Ah, let me check. If what you say is true, then our auction house will make more money than ever!"

"Eh, that's if I decide to auction the Eyes of Derhal. I want a sword, and not just any sword, a legendary sword."

"Let me check really quickly! Stay where you are, p-please!" The man rushed off somewhere to presumably check on the items listed for the barter tonight.

"This is definitely interesting. To think there will be two sets of Eyes possibly up for barter in the same auction house."

"What will you do? It is not like the man or woman behind the Eyes of Garrow will be bartering them for the same thing you want."

"No, that's not the case, though what you say is more likely to be true. Anyone who does not wish to keep the Eyes in their possession and wishes to sell them would generally do just that, sell for a large quantity of meros. You would only ever barter the Eyes off should there be another item close to the Eyes worth that the seller wants. There is without a doubt that something extremely valuable, other than the Eyes, is up for barter tonight. Whether it is a sword that I want, or something completely different, we will find out soon enough." Arvad nonchalantly stood around, as if he had nothing to hide. He was quite skilled at not standing out when he wanted. He even managed to smuggle in his weapons, which was no mean feat, he even refused to tell Raisel how he did it.