A Long Walk Home Ch. 19

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JazCullen
JazCullen
6,496 Followers

"Did Rafe say what they were doing about it?" she finally asked looking back at Demetri. She saw him wipe an annoyed scowl from his face before he ran a hand through his long black hair.

"He's getting organised and then we'll meet up and discuss it. He'll let us know whether it'll be a formal meeting or just family. I'm sure he'll call you soon." He gave her hand another squeeze before he stood up. "You okay, Red?"

He didn't trust the smile she tacked on her face or the quick nod she gave him. Her smile didn't reach her eyes as normal but he didn't say any more about it. He had a pressing need to be somewhere else at the moment, hammering some common sense into his best friend.

Hugging Rhianna tightly he said his goodbyes and headed over to his car. He didn't head for home though. He had another destination in mind and God help Caleb when he got there.

*****

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?"

Caleb's head shot up from the report he was reading, surprise on his face at the aggressive body language coming off his best friend as well as the tone of his voice. He stayed silent as Demetri entered the office and closed the door loudly behind him.

Demetri had been manning the office for the last few weeks so Caleb had taken over to give him a break and because he'd felt guilty about leaving his friend to do all the work. Despite the lives they led, they still had businesses to run and he was aware that he'd been shirking his responsibilities lately.

"I'm assuming you're going to qualify that statement and not expect me to have suddenly turned into a mind reader?" His words were droll as he watched the other man throw himself down in the leather chair in front of his desk.

"Annie," Demetri shot back, his green eyes burning with irritation.

Caleb stiffened immediately, concern crossing his face. "What's wrong?" He couldn't keep the trace of fear from his voice as he searched down their mate bond and found it suspiciously muted, as if she was masking it somehow. Come to think of it, he'd been barely able to sense anything from it for days now.

"What the fuck do you think is wrong?" Demetri growled. "I thought I was supposed to be the screw up out of the two of us but when you fuck up you do it spectacularly."

Caleb felt his temper rise, a low growl issuing from his throat as his eyes flashed amber, concern warring with his temper. "If you have something pertinent to say regarding my mate then I suggest you spit it out before I beat it the fuck out of you." Not being able to fully sense Annie was sending a spark of unease through him, his friend's anger ratcheting that unease up to a higher degree.

Demetri growled back at him, his own anger escalating as he stood up and leaned on the desk. "How could you do that to her, Caleb? How could you tell her to pull back when it comes to those she loves? You must have known you were crippling her. Even I'm smart enough to know that and she isn't even my mate! Annie is who she is because of the people she loves. If you take that from her you're slowly killing her inside."

Fury blazed deep inside Caleb and he rose too, his growl turning feral. "I don't know what the fuck you're talking about, Demetri, but I suggest you keep your nose out of our business. You take care of your mate your own way and leave me to take care of mine."

"Oh, like you're taking care of her now?" Demetri spat furiously. "You're doing such a grand job of that, Caleb. So good a job there was an attack on the pack today and your mate called me to go and investigate what had happened. She was sitting at home tied up in knots waiting for me to come back with my report and she was still sitting there full of misery when I left her. And all because you told her she was getting too involved in other people's lives to the detriment of yours."

His finger came out, a long talon brandishing in the air in his displeasure. "You are a fucking asshole of the highest proportions and you don't deserve to have a mate like Annie. Fucking fix it or I'll really lose my temper with you!"

Caleb sat down heavily in his chair, shock rippling through his body. Annie had needed someone and she'd called Demetri? Not him. He stared down at the desk reaching out to their mate bond again and finding it just as fuzzy as before. She was closing him out, hiding her feelings from him. She only ever did that when she was hurting and didn't want him to know.

Fuck! There'd been an attack on the compound and he was one of the last people to hear about it because Annie didn't want him to know she was getting involved in pack business? He hadn't meant it that way, not when he'd spoken to her about her reaction to Gard's pain. What he'd meant was...

He couldn't lie to himself. He may have been avoiding admitting it but now it was out in the open he had to be truthful about it. He'd been in a meltdown ever since the truth had come out and Gard had come back into their lives. His fear of losing his woman had dug deep inside him and he'd started reacting instinctively.

Clearing the bullshit out of his head, he looked back on the last five years, examining his actions in detail. He'd wanted to be alone with her all the time, so much so that he'd even delayed their trip to Shanghai recently because he knew the moment his Annie had been there she would have wanted to come home. And he'd wanted their time alone together to last longer.

His actions had made her miss the birth of her nephews. Her anger at that he'd skilfully handled by turning the conversation around to Gard and the secret she was keeping from Rafe. Caleb groaned and lowered his head in his hands, guilt washing through him. In trying to hold onto her he was slowly pushing her away. Demetri was right, he was a fucking asshole and he didn't deserve his Annie in his life.

Taking a deep breath, Caleb looked up at his friend. "I take it the compound is secure seeing as you're here?" He didn't wait for an answer, standing up and grabbing his suit jacket. He slipped it on aware of Demetri's eyes on him though his friend didn't speak.

He finally met his eyes again, his expression turning hard. "Thank you for being there for her. But the next time...you fucking call me straight away, Demetri. And don't bother starting a pissing contest over this. Just think how you'd feel if Mara came to me instead of you and I kept my mouth shut about it."

Demetri stared at him for a long moment, trying to imagine Mara ever choosing someone else to confide in over him. He knew he'd overreact if it happened and his friend kept him in the dark.

"Understood," he finally said. "Just don't put her in that position again, Caleb. I'm sure it's hurt her just as much as it's hurt you that she couldn't come to you with this. And I don't like her hurting any more than you do."

Caleb sighed and ran his hand through his hair, conceding his friend's point. Then he turned and headed out the office to fix the damage he'd unwittingly caused. The only reason he wasn't going completely insane was his Annie had one of the sweetest souls in the whole world. She would forgive him his stupidity but it would take a while for him to forgive himself for hurting her.

*****

Rhianna wanted to call Rafe but figured he was probably too busy at the moment. Demetri said her brother would be in touch when he could so she headed upstairs and took a long soak in the tub to try and alleviate her concern.

She felt Caleb push at their mate bond and worked hard to keep it masked without dulling it completely. She didn't want him picking up her distress level. It would only set him on edge and then he'd become annoyed with her again for getting involved in things.

Would he be angry she'd sent Demetri to check on the pack? She hadn't gone herself and the pack was under their protection. Surely he would understand that she'd had to just check everything was okay?

Sighing miserably she lay down on their bed snuggling deep into Caleb's robe which she'd pulled on rather than her own. She inhaled his scent as she curled up on her side and closed her eyes. Being wrapped within Caleb's scent was home to her. He didn't ask much from her and she would try her hardest to give him what he needed even if it did wrench her heart to stay away from Rafe.

She felt so vulnerable, so unsure of what was the right thing to do. She understood Caleb's fear, his need to protect her. He gave off the impression he was handling the thoughts and memories of Callain but she knew he wasn't. Always in the back of his mind was the memory of how he'd failed Anakatrine, how she had died because of that failure.

Caleb was terrified of failing her again, of losing her.

"Annie." His voice whispered to her and she almost shrieked in surprise, not having sensed him coming into the bedroom. It was a testament to how wrapped up she'd been in her own thoughts that she hadn't felt him come home.

She smiled, her eyes opening slowly to see him standing beside the bed looking down at her with a withdrawn, pensive expression on his face. He was mentally castigating himself for something, punishing himself for some wrong he felt he'd done to her.

She could read him like a book and it tugged at her heart that she was once more responsible for his unhappiness. Demetri must have told him what had happened. Lord only knew what else their friend had said to him. Demetri had been pissed when he'd left even though he'd tried to hide it.

Rhianna stared up at her mate feeling her heart kick up a beat as it always did around him. Her smile softened and she reached out a hand unable to bear seeing him so upset with himself. He was so strong, so vibrant and powerful. He exuded a hard male sensuality that took her breath away every time she looked at him. She didn't like to see him so uncertain and off balance.

Caleb took her outstretched hand, watching her small fingers rest against his large palm so trustingly. He felt a rush of love and warmth seep through their mate bond and he was ashamed to his very core.

She always forgave him no matter how idiotic he was being. She always trusted him, loved him, and filled him with compassion and gentleness. Seeing his Annie lying curled on their bed in his robe, her beautiful red curls still damp from her bath...she was the essence of everything that was good in the world; in his world.

She was purity and fire all rolled into one. She was delicate and strong, sweetness and judgement. She was his Annie but she was also Anakatrine and he had no right to try and take that from her. "Forgive me," he whispered, slowly sinking down to the bed, brushing his lips tenderly against the pulse in her wrist.

"I'm afraid that's impossible, Caleb," she sighed softly causing his eyes to fly to hers in shock. The gentle curve of her lips soothed his instant concern; the love shining in her eyes bathing him with joy.

"I cannot forgive you for loving me, silly man," she laughed softly. "Even if you do it in such strange ways at times." Rhianna sat up slowly moving closer to him until she could brush his long hair from his face and stroke his cheek tenderly.

"You have to forgive yourself for the past, love. It cannot be changed. Be with me here and now, in this life, sharing this love. I need you with me always. Nothing will ever change that. Our hearts beat as one, our breath moves as one. You are my soul as I am yours."

"Annie." Caleb whispered her name, shame battling with an overwhelming rush of love as he looked into her eyes and saw both Rhianna and Anakatrine looking back at him. She had reached peace with her duality, far easier than he had done despite him thinking it was the other way around.

"I'm supposed to be the Ancient here," he finally said ruefully. He knew he had to let her fly free. It was who she was, the woman he had fallen in love with so very long ago. Caging his Annie was the cruellest thing he could ever do. She embraced life, reached inside people and pulled the very best out of them, even if it meant sometimes it would cause her pain and suffering. And he would always be at her side because there was nowhere else he would rather be.

Soft tinkling laughter lit him up with joy as she reached up and kissed him gently against the corner of his mouth. "But I'm the queen," she teased lightly.

Caleb couldn't stop the laughter which filled his soul as he gathered her completely into his arms and cradled her close so he could kiss her gently with all the love he had in his heart. "You're a witch," he countered huskily deepening his kiss because he couldn't get enough of her.

When he raised his head and stared down into her exquisite face he knew everything would be all right. As long as his Annie loved him everything would always be all right.

"So, what do you want to do about this attack on the pack?" he asked with a rueful smile, his heart racing as he watched her expressive face. He knew he was giving her what she needed, what she craved so badly. The freedom to be who she was and to protect those she loved.

Rhianna's face lit up with pleasure as she wiggled out of his arms and sat before him. "I have an idea, Caleb, but first we need to find out exactly what happened and just how deep within our people this rot is running."

He raised an eyebrow in query and her beautiful smile shone once more and she uttered two words to him which brought his own lips twitching in an equally wide smile.

"The Praetorians."

Caleb had forgotten about them, ignored most of their past lives because he'd wanted to hide from how their time there had ended. He should have known his Annie wouldn't hide from it, that she'd reach back in time and find a solution to their present day problems. It was just like her to be so courageous. She was every inch the queen she'd once been so very long ago.

"You constantly amaze me, sweet one," he breathed softly, bending his head to kiss her long and slow, teasing her lips apart so he could dip inside and taste her addictive sweetness. He pressed her back against the bed, the urge to feel her naked body against his more than he could stand.

"We'll continue this conversation a little later," he laughed huskily, already peeling his robe from her body so he could admire her lush curves.

"Caleb." It was a breathy half complaint quickly extinguished as he heard his woman's heart race wildly in her chest as she sucked in a deep breath.

"Bedroom is my department," he reminded her with a wicked smile, his tongue sliding down to her breast which he cupped loving and raised for his eager touch.

Rhianna moaned, arching into his caress as his hot mouth suckled against her tender flesh. She half laughed, half groaned as he took his task very seriously, intent on driving her wild in the shortest amount of time possible. She could have argued with him but decided not to. There was no point cutting off her nose to spite her face.

She surrendered to Caleb's touch, knowing there was time enough to discuss the options they had to protect the pack. Rafe had it covered at the moment. She had every faith in both of her brothers that she could spend this time with her wonderful vampire without the need to worry about anything bad happening.

"Yes, Caleb," she sighed softly, holding his head to her body as he slowly loved her as only he could.

*****

Rayne felt anxious as she sat beside Gard in Rafe's library. It was unusual for her to feel so tense but she couldn't quite shake the feeling. Rafe had summoned them early with no explanation of why he wanted to speak to them other than there would be others attending the meeting, noticeably Rhianna and Caleb. She hadn't seen them since the night she'd recovered her memories and she couldn't help wondering what her mate's sister would say once she discovered they'd mated.

It had been two days since the attack on Freya and Dayton and the compound was still on high alert even though there had been no sign of any further vampire incursions. The pack was still running daily sweeps of the area despite finding nothing in the surrounding forest.

The sound of people entering the Alpha's home caused her to stiffen slightly and Gard to look at her with a slight frown. She immediately tried to relax but knew she wasn't fooling him when his arm slipped around her shoulder and pulled her tightly to his side. He knew she was worried about his sister accepting her into their family and had tried to alleviate her unspoken concerns.

The door to the library opened and Caleb entered followed closely by Rhianna. Behind her came another woman, tall with long brown hair and deep brown eyes. At her back was Demetri Bozic, his big body alert, his eyes flickering across the room quickly taking in who was present.

Rhianna immediately flowed to Rafe's side, his arms coming around the little redhead instantly to scoop her up in a fierce hug. The closeness between the two of them filled the room instantly with warmth.

Rafe tightened his arms around his sister, knowing she still felt guilty for not coming sooner despite the fact they'd spoken a few times on the phone and he'd assured her everyone was fine. It was slightly amusing to realise they shared the same obsessive personality trait, the need to protect each other even though their lives had moved in such different directions.

He held her close as he turned to Gard and Rayne. "No need to introduce Caleb and Annie obviously and you've met Demetri briefly. The gorgeous woman at his side is his long suffering wife Mara." He laughed at Demetri's irritated snort before continuing.

"Mara, this is Annie's brother Gard and his mate Rayne." He concluded the introduction by kissing the top of his sister's head and giving her another tight squeeze.

Everyone smiled at Rayne and she felt her unease start to lower. There was no hint of reserve on their faces and Rafe's easy teasing of Demetri and completely relaxed demeanour helped to soothe her further. She relaxed into Gard's body earning herself a quick brush of his hot lips against the side of her neck.

"You can let me go now, Annie," Rafe laughed softly as Rayne's tension level calmed. "Before Caleb decides I need my ass kicked for stealing his woman from him."

That brought a laugh from Mara which Demetri echoed. "I wouldn't worry about Caleb, Rafe. He's getting soft in his old age. I steal his woman all the time and he hasn't managed to kick my ass yet."

Caleb's narrowed gaze swung to his friend, his lips quirking slightly. "Mara, if I asked you nicely to mute your mate bond for half an hour would you do so?" he asked drolly. "I see no reason for you to be punished for this idiot's lack of respect." His tone clearly indicated he was joking, that this was a long standing joke between two old friends.

"Would you beat a man for being an ass, Caleb?" the brunette countered sweetly, smiling at her mate as she did so. "The poor dear can't help it. He was born that way."

Caleb couldn't contain his laughter as Demetri glared down at his mate, mock indignation on his face. "The poor dear? Wife, I may have to take up some of this beating malarkey myself. You clearly don't know your proper place when it comes to your husband."

Mara rolled her eyes and patted him on the chest. "Well, if you haven't managed to teach me it yet, Demetri, I fear you have no chance of doing so. Though, I'm sure there has to be some vampire law somewhere that says you cannot assault a member of the Council. I will need to research that when I get to work."

Her mate laughed and gathered her into his arms dropping a hard kiss on her lips. "I'm certain there is nothing against a man decorating his wife's pretty little ass a nice shade of pink, Council member or not." His voice dropped low and very intimate and Mara groaned and pushed him away.

"Men! They have one track minds," she sighed haughtily though her eyes twinkled with laughter as Demetri pulled her back against his chest and feathered his lips slowly against the side of her neck.

JazCullen
JazCullen
6,496 Followers