A Mother Always Knows

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When we began to play, everyone seemed on edge, all in anticipation of hearing what the strange looking keyboards sounded like. For the first thirty measures, all that you could hear were the choir, piano and string sections. And then as the brass and woodwinds made their entrance, the percussion section came in right behind them, accenting every note.

We were a little bit less than halfway through it when I made the ARP 2500 begin a structured arppegiation, held and programmed to attack and decay in time with the orchestra. Directly thereafter, I played the Moog 55's preprogrammed sequence; and with the swell of the filters on the Mini Moogs, as the envelopes opened and closed, the entire pavilion vibrated with the music we created that night, and that was when we, as a group of musicians, all came together. While I still heard a few mistakes, we had more than enough time to iron them out together.

After rehearsal that night, everyone gathered around my keyboards, asking different questions and such. I played the signature licks to some of the songs I'd written that either currently were, or had been on the radio at one time or another. Olivia sat back silently watching me with a delightfully contented smile on her face while I chatted with our peers.

~~~~~~

"Well, aren't you just full of surprises," Olivia said, after everyone had cleared out, right before I turned my gear off for the night, "But I've got a question for you, Michael."

"Go ahead," I stupidly replied.

"I was just wondering," she smirked, "Can you play those contraptions with a real piano player and no orchestra?"

"Is that a challenge," I teased, "Or are you trying to crack a joke?"

"What's' the matter," Olivia teased, goading me, "You can't take the heat, Rock Star?"

I knew right then that someone in my family had been instructing Olivia in the art of 'How to Yank My Chain', and inciting me to see how far she was willing to take this, I grinned and cockily replied, "Alright then, sit your pretty little ass down at the piano, because I'm about to give you all the proper musical instruction you'll ever need."

"You're so full of shit," she giggled, as she made her way to the piano, "I've already had all the proper musical instruction I'll ever need, thank you."

"Then I'm gonna take you to school little girl," I laughed, "You name it, and I'll be there."

"Alright, smart ass," she spat "We'll do a standard, one, four, five, blues run, in the key of 'C'. Watch me for the changes....and try to keep up."

She began to play and I came in right behind her. We traded small riffs back and forth throughout the first run of the song structure, and I had to admit that Olivia definitely had some chops. While playing rhythm she nodded for me to take the first lead run, I used both of my Mini Moogs, using one to harmonize with other. Each lick I played was crisp, clear and concise, leaving no doubt that I had created that particular musical phrase.

I took over playing rhythm and nodded to Olivia, and after a quick wink at me, she began. She started slowly like water, as it dripped from a faucet. Soon after, the drip became a trickle, and then the trickle became stream. I could feel her music pulling me along, as the stream became creeks, which eventually beget a raging river. The speed at which the notes spoke her phrases were outdone only by her precise consistency of musical flow, much like the waters of that same river I now found myself about to drown in. All at once she nodded to end it, and when we stopped; Olivia and I simply stood silently in place, staring into each other's eyes while panting to regain our breath.

Before either of us knew or could explain it, we found ourselves standing face-to-face, half way between the piano and conductor's podium, still breathing heavily, but not because we were winded.

"I love you, Michael," Olivia breathed, gently caressing my cheek with her hand.

"I know you do," I softly replied, "And I love you, too, Liv, I really do. But I'm still a little messed up so, you're gong have to be patient with me."

"I've waited my whole life to hear you say those words to me," she happily squealed, gently throwing her arms around my neck as her eyes filled with happy tears, "You take all the time you need, because I'll never leave you, and I swear by all that's holy, that I'll never ever hurt you, Michael."

"I love you, Liv," I said, "I really love you."

~~~~~~

"I guess I'd better get home," Olivia giggled, her truck windows fogged up from all of the making out we'd one after rehearsal, "Mom and Dad are probably getting ready to call out the National Guard by now."

"Yeah," I laughed, looking around the truck, "I guess I should get home, too."

"Will you call me tomorrow, Michael," Olivia smiled, as I opened the truck door to get out.

"You know I will," I grinned, "Good night, Liv, I love you."

"Good night, Michael," she softly replied, "And I love you, too."

~~~~~~

"Uncle Mike," Leah giggled, rousing me from my sleep, "Get up. You've got a telephone call."

"I thought you were in college," I groaned, rolling away from the sound of her voice.

"I am, but I don't have any classes today," she giggled, "Mom said to get your lay ass out of bed and answer the phone.

~~~~~~

"Hullo," I groggily answered the phone.

"Good Morning, my love," Olivia chirped, on the other end, "Did I wake you up?"

"No," I lied, "I got up a few minutes ago."

"Liar," she giggled, "Leah said you were still asleep."

I laughed, and with a yawn, said, "Didn't we just have this same conversation a couple of days ago, Liv?"

"Yes, we did," she laughed, "So; I'm going to ask you again. Did I wake you?"

"Yes," I laughed, try to sound mean, "What do you want?"

"I want you to get cleaned up," she cooed, "I'm coming by to pick you up in half an hour."

"Where are we going," I groaned, "And why so early?"

"If you think eleven-thirty is early, then you're nuts," she laughed, "Now get up, lazy bones," and then she hung up the phone, giggling.

~~~~~~

"Hello, my love," smiled Olivia, as she openly kissed me in front of Andie and Leah, "How're you doing this morning?"

"Okay, I guess," I teased, "Although I still wouldn't mind going back to sleep."

"I'm not going to let you sleep your life away, big boy," she giggled, sitting in my lap, "Especially now that I'm in it."

"Is there something that you two would like to tell us?" Leah teased, her eyebrows raised in suspicion, but knowing the truth.

"We're in love with one another," Olivia adoringly replied, then abruptly hopped up and out of my lap while placing her hands on her hips, "But I'm not like those sluts he's used to out in California so, it's gonna be quite a while before he gets any."

"Jeez, Liv," I exclaimed, my face red in embarrassment, "Have you lost your mind?"

"Ooo, look at him blush, Libby," Andie uproariously giggled, Leah and Olivia howling with laughter.

"Are you ready to go now?" I impatiently asked Olivia.

"Aw, we were just teasing you, baby," she mockingly soothed, as went were leaving.

"I just shook my head laughing and said, "Crazy bitches."

As soon as I turned around Andie smacked me hard on the ass and said, "That's right, asshole," then kissed my cheek as I passed her and laughed, "And don't forget it."

~~~~~~

"Where are we going?" I asked, as we hopped into Olivia's truck.

"It's a surprise, but I'll give you a hint," she grinned, "This person is a very old friend of both of ours."

"Well, not much help there," I teased, "But let's go anyway."

~~~~~~

After driving past town for about twenty minutes, Olivia pulled up in front of the house that I knew was the home of Mr. and Mrs. Harold and Joyce Rankin. Mrs. Rankin had been both mine and Olivia's music teacher in grade school, and Mr. Rankin had been our choir teacher in junior high, as well as high school. Olivia and I had adored having both of them as teachers. I don't know about Olivia, well, actually I do now, but at the time; both Mr. and Mrs. Rankin's teachings had been, and still are to this day, some of the tools I use as a professional songwriter and a musician.

"Well, I'll be damned," said Mr. Rankin, as he and Mrs. Rankin greeted us at their front door, "I was wondering if I'd ever see you again, Michael Fallon."

"It's good to see you, Mister Rankin," I replied, as they led us into their home.

"I think you can dispense with Mister, crap, Mike," Harold laughed, "We're all adults here. I'm Harold and my wife's name is Joyce, but you two already know that."

"It's so good to see you, Michael, honey," cooed Joyce as she reached over and pulled me into a hug, "And Harold and I are so proud of what you've been doing with your music."

"I still say he could use a haircut," Harold teasingly grumbled, making us all laugh.

As Harold and I sat down, Olivia and Joyce went to make coffee, and Harold asked, "How long are you home for, Mike?"

"I don't really know," I said, "I promised my Mom that I would conduct the Spring Cantata in the new pavilion this year so, I'll be home for at least another five to six weeks."

"Joyce and I want to express our deepest condolences for you and your family's loss," he kindly said, "We went to her funeral, but we didn't want to intrude. Your parents, especially your Mom, were, and still are very loved by this whole town. I hope you know, Mike."

"Thanks, Harold," I smiled, "That's very kind."

Not wanting a happy reunion to turn sad, Harold smiled, and patting me on the shoulder, grinned and asked, "How do you like conducting as opposed to playing?"

"What makes you think I'm not playing?" I laughed.

"There's no way you can conduct and play at the same time," he pointedly replied, "It's just not possible."

"According to whom," I chuckled, "And what makes you think it can't be done."

"I'd have to see it to believe it," Harold laughed, "But then again, knowing you, Mike, I really wouldn't be too surprised either."

About that time, Olivia came in carrying the coffee tray, pot and cups, and Joyce right behind her with cake in one hand, and small plates in the other.

"We watched you on the TV the night you got your Grammy award, Michael," smiled Joyce, "I'll bet your family is very proud of you, sweetie. I know that Harold and I are."

"That's awfully sweet, Joyce, and thank you," I smiled, pleased that my teachers were proud of me, "But none of it would've been possible if I didn't have you and Harold as teachers."

"He's right about that shit," laughed Harold.

"Harold Rankin, you leave that boy alone," smiled Joyce, "But thank you, just the same, Michael."

It was good visiting with Harold and Joyce, and we were not allowed to leave until I had autographed every album that Joyce owned that had any of my music on it. And when it was done, we left with the Rankin's promise that they would both be there to see the Cantata in a few weeks."

~~~~~~

Over the period of a couple of weeks, rehearsals began to flow evenly with little to no mistakes, and at the end of each session, I would critique my peers, letting them know what needed work. However, at the end of every single critique came even more praise and encouragement. I knew that these people had what it took to play this music flawlessly, and I was not about to let them forget it.

I didn't realize it at the time, but I gained their respect by doing things the way I had. I believe that a student should hear more praise than criticism, thus encouraging them to want to do better. Granted, these people weren't students anymore, they were supposed to be professionals, but still, there was a lot of talent in that group of people, and as their leader, which is basically what a conductor is, I wanted to let them know that I needed them as much as they needed me. And I did...

~~~~~~

The love between Olivia and I deepened more every day. And every day, I felt the darkness that I had once harbored within me, slowly coming into the light. I mean, hell, how was I not supposed to be in a good mood all the time with people like Andie and Leah around me day in and day out. But more than anything, and I think that honestly and for the first time in my life, my heart found its true refuge in the arms of my beautiful Liv.

None of the other women I'd consorted with, Sally included, and I thought she was my one true love, had ever satisfied me the way Olivia did. And the best thing bout my relationship with Olivia was, we hadn't made love yet. I did have the good sense to realize that when we finally did give ourselves to one another, it would more-than-likely bring me to knees, literally....

~~~~~~

Were at the end of our fifth week of rehearsal, when afterwards, a member of the woodwinds section, a young oboe player named Sheryl Elliot, who had never said a single word to me until now, stood up in front of everyone, and amidst the quiet laughter of her peers, said, "Mister Fallon, I need to tell you something, and I need to tell you right now, or I'm gonna burst wide open."

"Well, by all means tell me, Sheryl," I smiled, "And please, call me Mike."

"Okay then, Mike," she giggled, "Every member of this orchestra, and all the members of the choir, too.....well, we wanted to say that we feel very fortunate to have you as our conductor. But I wanted to tell you personally, that I hope you don't go back to California, because we want you to stay here where your home is.....with us." By the time she had finished speaking; I saw her reach up and wipe her eyes with the back of her hand.

All at once everyone in the orchestra, Olivia included, as well as everyone in the choir, were all standing on their feet applauding wildly, thus beginning the start of a deep conflict within me.

After the applause died down, I humbly smiled and graciously replied, "I want to thank each and every one of you, and I also want to let you all know that this moment in time will forever be captured and stored among the fondest memories of my life. Once again, thank you, and I'll see you all back on Monday for the beginning of our final rehearsals."

~~~~~~

Olivia had always waited for everyone to leave so that she and I could spend the extra time together. And as I was turning off and covering my gear, she smiled and asked, "Do you have any plans for this weekend, Michael?"

"Other than being with you," I grinned, receiving a sweet kiss for it, "No, I don't have any plans this weekend."

"In that case," she seductively purred, wrapping her arms around my waist, "How bout you and I spending the next few days together at the beach, just the two of us?"

"Are you absolutely sure you want to do this, Liv," I cautiously asked, "I mean, I don't want you to feel like you're under any kind of pressure to do anything you don't want to do."

"Now why on earth would you think I might feel pressured, Michael?" she asked, stepping away from me and placing her hands on her hips.

"I don't know." I sheepishly replied, "Sheryl was talking about trying to get me to stay here and I thought maybe......"

"I was interrupted by the sound of her howling with laughter, and after regaining her composure I said, "What is so funny?"

"You're charming, Michael, I'll give you that," she giggled. Then walking up to me and throwing her arms around me, she sensually cooed, "But you're not that charming, at least not yet," and then slowly kissed me, leaving me wanting more when the kiss was done.

~~~~~~

Chapter Five

That next morning I was up and awake at eight-thirty, having coffee with Dad, when he asked, "Where are guys going for the weekend?"

"I don't know, Dad," I replied, "Liv told me that she had everything under control."

"Ya know, that Libby is a real sweet girl, son," Dad gently smiled, "I know that she practically worshipped the ground your mother walked on, and your mother loved her as much as she loved any of you three kids."

"I know, Dad," I smiled, "Mom loved her a lot."

"What about Mike," he plainly asked, "How do you feel about her?"

"I'm not real sure right now," I uncertainly replied, "But I think I'm falling in love with her."

"Relax, Mike," Dad laughed, "It's not as bad as you think."

"I don't understand what you mean, Dad."

"Women are a whole lot smarter than we give them credit for, son," he chuckled, "You think that Libby doesn't know everything about you? Use your head, Mike, she and your Mom were great friends so, don't think for a second that your Mom didn't keep her well informed on everything that you've been up to since you left here."

"Damn," I laughed, "I guess I really have been a dumb ass, haven't I?"

"Let me tell you something, Mikey," Dad said, "That little girl was heart-broken when she came back from taking you to the airport the day that you left for college. She laid her head in your mother's lap and cried for three hours, saying that she blew her chance to be with you. You didn't know this, and you damn sure didn't it hear from me," he continued, "But Olivia told your mother when you two were barely in grade school, that she was going to marry you one day."

"Really," I smiled, "Why didn't she ever tell me how she felt?"

"She tried," Dad scolded, "But you were off in California, too busy chasing your dreams to listen."

"I had to go out to L.A. to make my connections in the music industry," I explained, "Otherwise I'd be working some dead-end job that I hated and would be miserable for the rest of my life. Please, tell me that you understand this, Dad."

"I understand, and you're right. You had to go to California," Dad nodded, "But now that you have those, connections, as you call them; does it matter where you live?"

"What're you trying to say, Dad?"

"Just this," he gently replied, "Someone doesn't always have to go far away to chase their dream, because.....sometimes....it's been standing right in front of them the whole time."

Before I could respond, I heard Liv coming into the house through the back door; just like she's done for as far back as I can remember.....as far back as I could remember......Holy shit, Dad was right.

~~~~~~

"Good morning, Michael," Olivia cooed, softly kissing my cheek near my lips as I stood to greet her, "Are you all packed and ready?"

"Yeah," I smiled, "Where did you say we were going?"

After hugging Dad, Olivia grinned and said, "I told you that it was a surprise so, you're just going to have to trust me."

"Uh oh," I teased, "I'm in big trouble now."

"You're so silly," she giggled, taking my hand, "Come on, we need to get on the road soon."

~~~~~~

As soon as I realized we were headed south, I smiled at Olivia and said, "Are you going to tell me where we're going now, Liv?"

"We're going to Padre Island," she smiled, "Mom and Dad bought a place down there a couple of years ago, and they said we could use it this weekend."

"Why now, Liv," I sweetly asked, "You know that I'm willing to wait, don't you?"

"You might be able to wait, Michael," she giggled, "But I'm about to climb the walls, I want you so bad."

"But why go all the way down to Padre," I reasoned, "Why not get a place somewhere closer?"

"I love you Michael, I really do, baby," Olivia knowingly smirked, "But you're going to have to blindly trust me, please?"

"Alright, Liv," I grinned, "If that's the case, then I trust you."

~~~~~~

After six hours of driving, having stopped once to eat, and twice for the restroom, we arrived at 1459 Gulfshore Drive. We were at the far end of the island, the closest house being at least eight-hundred to a thousand yards away. It was three-thirty in the afternoon and the sun was still out and shining brightly.

"What would like to do first, my love?" I asked, as we unloaded the truck and into the house.

"I'd like to cuddle up with you on the big hammock so that we can talk for a while," Olivia cooed, "Would that be okay, Michael?"

1...345678