A New Life

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The three friends filed quietly from the office. They wandered to the parking lot and got into Simon's truck. He drove, without asking their preference, to their favorite pizza joint where they ordered pizza, beer, and salads. While they ate and drank they quietly talked about their morning. At least with most of the students already headed home for the semester break their lunch was quiet so they could talk and think.

After lunch Simon drove everyone back to the parking lot to pick up the other two vehicles. Just before he let them out at their vehicles he asked the other two, "Do you believe him? What are you going to do?"

Don shrugged his shoulders and shook his head. Paula looked around and said, "I don't know Simon. I'm really scared here. Dottie's ex made some pretty serious and scary threats when she found out he was cheating on her and dumped him. The kidnapping and rapes were one of the things he threatened. He told us after he and his friends were done with us they intended to sell us to a Mexican whore house. I don't see any way the professor could have known about those threats. We never told anyone about them, not even our parents. I'm really scared here. I don't know how I can enjoy the holidays now for thinking about the possible kidnapping and rape and my death. I am already scared to face the pain. Yeah, I really might do it." She smiled and continued, "Heck, if I say yeah, I'll go and it's a hoax what have I lost? Nothing will happen and I'll feel a little stupid then go on with my life. If he's right at least I'll have a life even if it is somewhere else. Besides, it could be fun building a life in the wilderness. I know it would be hard, dangerous work but I sort of think I would like it. I dunno. It almost looks like a win/win situation here. What do you think you'll do?"

"Not sure. You've gotta admit this shit is really weird. Sure seems like you have the right idea though. Would you want to go together if we do it? I think I'd like that."

Paula smiled and said, "Yeah. I'd like that too. I like you a lot and at least we would be together. We've worked well together this semester and I really like to be with you even when we're just hanging."

Don stood listening to the two plan their future. He was still in turmoil over the professor's remarks. He said, "I can't believe you two. You sound as if you really believe him and are going to plan on living on some strange new world. Do you really think he is an alien and wants to take us to another planet?"

Simon and Paula looked at each other for a moment. She wrapped her arm around Simon's waist. Simon said, "I really don't know what to think here but you have to admit just the little we know and have seen would seem to indicate there is something going on here. I don't see any drawback to telling him we will take his offer. If what he told us is true we at least get to live longer and if it isn't what have we lost other than perhaps, given him a little laugh at our expense. I'd a lot rather pioneer some exotic planet than die here on Earth within the next month."

"I guess. But I'll be all alone if I tell him I'll do it. Do you think he would let us go together?"

Paula looked at Don for a moment then glanced up at Simon before answering, "I don't know Don. He might. I don't know how to say this but I think it needs to be said. I'm a one man woman. If you are thinking you and I might, uh, become more than friends you need to know now it will never happen. I hope Simon and I are going to be a couple, but if we aren't I need to tell you that, at least right now, I don't see you and me getting closer."

Don didn't slump actually but he looked a little more dejected and unsure of himself if that was possible. Finally he said, "Oh. I guess I can't say I'm surprised but I wasn't sure it had gone that far already. I like you and was hoping if you and Simon weren't together we might have a chance. I would still like to be with you guys if they will let us and I decide to take their deal. I don't do well without some friends around."

With that the three said good bye and started for their respective vehicles. Just before they turned and left Simon and Paula exchanged a gentle kiss. As might be expected, all three of them thought about their situation all the way home and daily thereafter.

All three young persons were asked repeatedly by their families if they had a problem because they were acting so strangely. As warned, none of them were able to discuss the information Professor Sheripati gave them. Paula managed to tell her mother, through silent tears, that she was just thinking about them not being in her life any longer and how much she would miss them if something happened. Of course her mother laughed and teased her about her morbid thoughts.

Simon managed to tell each person in his family individually how much he loved them and how he missed them when he was away from them. He was always especially close to his younger brother and youngest sister. This holiday he spent a lot more time talking to each of them.

Each of the young people, unbeknownst to the others sent the professor an e-mail accepting his offer and requesting they all be put down together, or at least close enough they could contact each other occasionally.

Simon even put a request in his e-mail that he be allowed to choose and take with him some of the items he listed on his term paper. None of the three received a reply to their message. As the approximate time for their accidents to occur came nearer each of the three became noticeably more nervous and suffered unanswerable questions from their families.

The day after Christmas Paula and Dottie went to visit one of their friends. Paula really didn't want to leave the house but finally allowed herself to be persuaded. She had an ominous feeling of dread all day and it became worse when she agreed to go. On the drive over to the friend's apartment Paula thought she saw a nondescript faded green van following their car.

When they got out of the car at the apartment they began walking toward the building. The van screeched up beside them and, just as Professor Sheripati predicted they were forced into the van. Paula fought her attacker but made sure she didn't let him hurt her. When the van swerved rapidly changing lanes on the freeway she made her move. She had the back doors open in a flash and grabbed Dottie's asshole ex. She slammed into the man that just finished raping her and all three of them tumbled to the road in front of an oncoming semi. Her last thought was 'at least I took the assholes with me and Dottie is safer now."

Almost before Paula had her thoughts she found herself, still naked, in a room surrounded by naked strangers. Prominent in front of her was Professor Sheripati. He walked up to her and wrapped her in his arms as she cried. He gently hugged her until her tears cleared. After she calmed down she recognized two other professors from the University—her psychology and Government professors.

Professor Sheripati turned and with his arm still around her led her out a door into another room. He said, "Miss Breckenridge, this is our sick bay. Please get onto the table so we can examine you."

After a few minutes the professor came back and said, "Ok. We obviously picked you up before you were injured by the truck. Unfortunately, as predicted, your clone is dead." He glared at her and continued, "We also found two deceased males at the scene. Was that necessary my dear?"

"YES! I felt it was necessary. At least I gave my sister a chance and I also KNOW those two assholes were punished for their crimes. They'll never rape or hurt another person now will they?"

The professor sighed and said, "No, I suppose not, but it would have been better if the authorities had punished them. Now we have to worry that, perhaps, our screening of you was in error."

Paula felt herself quake slightly but she stood and looked him in the eye. She said, "I'm no different than I was when you selected me for this project. You told me then fighting and violence was acceptable to protect myself, my family, and others. I did that."

"Yes, I suppose you did, my dear. Well, now, on to other matters. I was very happy when you agreed to take our offer. Now I would like to discuss the future with you for a moment before I leave you."

"Professor, before you do that can you tell me if Simon is coming too? You promised we could be together—"

The professor smiled and said, "Yes, my dear, he also agreed to take our offer. Like you, he predicated his acceptance upon being able to cohabit with you on your new home world. Your other friend, Don, also agreed to come. He also requested collocation with you and Simon. Unfortunately we cannot do that. We did, however, agree to locate him about 100 miles away from you.

"Now, we need to take you to medical for treatment. After that, there are some other administrative matters to attend to."

"Treatment. Is there something wrong with me?"

"No, there is nothing seriously wrong with you. We need to begin your enhancement for your drop. We will improve your genetic code—clean it up if you will—somewhat to make you more resistant to illness, cancer and heart disease, aging, and some other human ailments. We will also enhance your healing capability for injuries. Also, our physicians will want to know what you want to do about your child."

"Child. What— I'm not pregnant."

"Yes my dear. I am afraid you are pregnant. You conceived yesterday when you were raped. Do you want to keep the child or should we terminate it when we treat you? It would really be better if you get settled in your new home before you have children. We will drop you with several months of contraceptives for you to use at your discretion."

"NO! I don't want that asshole's child. I could never look at that child and be able to treat it right. Please don't make me have it." Paula broke down crying and allowed the professor to lead her away.

Two days after Christmas Simon received a phone call from a number he did not recognize. He answered it and heard a crying female voice ask, "Is this Simon?"

"Yes," he said. "May I help you?"

"This is Barbara Breckenridge. I'm Paula's mother. She was kidnapped and killed last night. We found an envelope marked 'to be opened upon my death' in her room this morning. In it she asked us to call her fiancée and tell him what happened. It had your name and phone number in it. Simon, we didn't even know you and our daughter were dating much less engaged. I almost didn't call you but the note seemed so urgent. Of course, there were some other things in it that I don't feel concern you. I'm sorry."

Simon felt his stomach lurch when Mrs. Breckenridge told him of Paula's death. His first thought was 'Damn, it's true.' Then he thought 'I hope it didn't hurt her too much and that she's handling everything ok.' Finally he got his mind in gear and said, "Mrs. Breckenridge, I don't know what to say. Paula and I got together this semester and just agreed to make it permanent the day she came home. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you all before this happened. I know it's hard for you, but can I ask you how it happened? I really need to know. And if it wouldn't be too much bother could you tell me when the services will be so I can come if you don't mind?"

"We haven't set the services yet. They will probably be after the first of the year. She and her sister were forced into a van where it appears her sister's ex-fiancée and some of his friends raped them. Paula managed to get free and open the back door. She tried to jump out and managed to pull two of the men with her. They were all three ran over by a semi truck and killed. Her sister, Dottie, got away and was rescued. That's all we know right now." The phone then disconnected.

Simon sat for a moment then felt someone touch his back. He looked over his shoulder and saw his mother. His younger brother and sister were standing in the door watching. His mother asked, "What's wrong, Simon?"

He felt the tears run down his cheeks. He took a shuddering breath and said in a breaking voice, "That was my girlfriend's mother. She was abducted and raped last night. While trying to escape she was killed." In a way, Simon felt stupid because he was crying over Paula. He knew if the professor was right that she was still alive but he still felt like crying. He cried partly because of the fear and pain she went through and partly because he was now sure he would soon lose his life on Earth and never see his loved ones again.

"OH, baby," his mother said as she wrapped him in her arms. "I'm so sorry. Are you ok?"

"Yeah. I guess. We're going to be together always and plan to make you a grandmother."

Mrs. Franklin ignored what she thought to be Simons misspeaking. After all, he was upset by his girlfriend's death. She never knew for certain that he actually meant what he said, that he found a small chink in his programming. She did wonder after Simon's death if he somehow knew his end was near also and was trying to tell her he and his girl would soon be together for eternity.

Simon and Don each met their end as predicted. Each found it exceedingly difficult to live and face their oncoming fate. Perhaps, in a way each of the three knew how a condemned criminal feels facing death or how someone with a terminal illness might feel. They will never say. Each in his own time arrived at the ship as did Paula and received the same greeting. After the greeting they went to medical and received the same treatments Paula did. Like Paula, during one of the treatments they were placed in a stasis chamber and stored pending their future placement on the new planet.

Some indeterminate time after he was placed unknowingly in stasis Simon awakened. He was examined by a technician and told to rest for a short time. After a few minutes the same technician came back into the room and said, "Follow me, please. There are some final plans that need to be made for your placement."

Simon stood slowly and started to follow the technician then stopped. He looked around and frowned. The technician stopped and looked at Simon. He asked, "Is there something wrong? Why did you stop? Do you not feel well? The drink I gave you when you awakened should have taken care of anything bothering you."

"Uh, no, nothing is wrong with me physically. I was just looking for my clothes."

"What?" The technician touched his ear for a moment then laughed. He looked at Simon and said, "I forgot your planet is one of the ones where the population normally covers their body. I am sorry but we don't have anything available right now for you to use as clothes. There will be a very few of these clothes available when you depart for your use in cold or dangerous environments. Clothes are one of the things you will have to manufacture when you arrive if you wish to continue using them. Personally I don't see the need as the environment is very friendly to human habitation."

Simon slowly followed the tech out of the room and down the passageway to an open door. When he followed the man into the room he stopped for a moment then rushed into the room, passing the technician without a thought.

One of the other occupants of the room looked up and let out a little squeak. She stood and rushed across the room and threw herself into Simon's arms. The smile and expression on her face made her look like the sun was shining inside. Paula quickly pulled back slightly and gave Simon a long kiss then pulled away, wrapped her arm around him and led him to a very comfortable chair beside the one she previously occupied.

After the two young people were seated the man at the head of the table began speaking. He said, "We have brought you and some of the others out of stasis now for final planning for your mission. Since the two of you are mated and will be placed together we will allow you to stay together while you make your final plans. I am Arthur Slitsniff, one of Professor Sheripati's assistants. If you need assistance during the planning phase you may contact me. My contact information is on the screen above."

The man turned slightly and pointed at his name, a group of numbers and an obvious e-mail address glowing in a window showing on a large screen on one wall. After he pointed out his contact information he turned back to the young couple once again and resumed speaking. He said, "The notebook computers on the table in front of you are for your use while on board this vessel. While not exactly like the computers you are used to they have been made to operate as do the machines that you are used to.

"You will find you have access to the Earth internet on this machine. You will also find the software you are used to using. I believe it is called Windows and the Microsoft Office program? Yes, that is it. You will also find the documents you prepared for Professor Sheripati while you were taking his class.

"Some of the items you listed that you wished to take with you into the wilderness have been removed from the list by drawing a line through them. These items are prohibited. If an item was removed because it was prohibited we listed acceptable substitutes in blue print beside it. Other items are as you listed them. You now have the option of showing how many of each item you wish to take. You may also add or delete items as you desire. Your only limit is the space you were originally told was available to you for shipping—18 of your feet long by four feet wide, maximum weight not to exceed 12,000 of your pounds."

Simon looked up at that and frowned for a moment then asked, "Hey, how about the height? It might help if I knew the cubage we are allowed."

Slitsniff hesitated for a moment. He pressed his finger to his right ear then looked at the display showing in the top of the table in front of him. He frowned slightly then looked up. He said, "My assistant says the best information we have says the height will be approximately six of your feet. That will give you space of 432 of your feet cubed. We will let you know if the cubage or dimensions change. This will be the room you are to work in. Over there is a door into the refresher. Beside it is the door into your eating area and on the other wall is the doorway into your sleeping chambers. Are there any questions?"

Simon and Paula looked at each other for a moment then shook their heads no. The man stood and started to walk from the room when Simon said, "Wait. I do have a question or two. If I understand you correctly we are now making a list of things we want to take to our new home. Is that right?"

"That is correct. Is that a problem?"

"Well, not really. I just need to know if there are any restrictions other than those we discussed."

"You were given the restrictions during your class. They have not changed. You will even be allowed to take firearms if you so desire. We highly recommend you limit them severely because after they break or you run out of ammunition you will be without. You will then have a very expensive chunk of metal in a design we really hope will not find a use on this version of Earth. Alternatively, you do need to be able to hunt animals for your food so some hunting weapons might be advisable. It is entirely your choice. If you research and or try to list proscribed items you will be informed. Otherwise the choice is yours within the parameters previously given. I would strongly suggest, however, that you do not try to reinvent the wheel as I believe is your saying. What I mean is your original lists are approved except for quantity if you leave out those items we struck through. You will be allowed additional items, however, if they meet the original criteria and you can justify them."

The naked man and woman walked from the room leaving an equally naked Simon and Paula sitting and looking at each other. All at once they took notice of their nudity and blushed. Paula tried to cover herself. Simon laughed and said, "Paula, I understand, but don't you think that is just a little useless since we have been given no clothes and we have to work together. Besides, if we are going to be together from now on as I hope, we will see each other nude for the rest of our lives."