A Painful Divorce

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

..............

The Saturday morning brought a telephone call. Although not from her husband it did explain the silent call of the previous day. She had lifted the receiver feeling sure it would be from Singapore but it was a female voice that Katie didn't recognise.

"Shaun won't be coming back to you."

"Who is this?"

"He's mine now and there's nothing you can do about it."

"I think you've got the wrong number."

"Mrs Katie Fletcher?"

"Yes?"

"Well say goodbye to your husband, you've lost him to me."

The caller then abruptly disconnected leaving Katie shaking with fury. What was that all about and who the hell was she?

Although her mind was in a turmoil Katie retained enough sense to ring Grace immediately and relate the contents of the strange call.

"As your lawyer I can only advise you to be careful until we get to the bottom of this."

"Get to the bottom of what?"

"The person who phoned you was Shaun's bit on the side."

"Ah, so that's what you think this is all about."

She broke off then as the certainty contained in her sister's voice hit home.

"How long have you known about this?"

"Three or four months."

"Bloody hell...but why have I got to be careful?"

"It seems to me that if he intends to leave you for this woman then you must stick tight to the house and also give him no grounds for divorce."

Katie was struck dumb so Grace became worried.

"Are you still there luvvie?"

"Yes, I'm just very shocked. It's a lot to take in all at once."

"Well my darling, you would be far better off without Shaun but for god's sake talk to that lovely man I met last night and warn him what's happening."

.............

Chris had already played his match when she arrived at the club and went over feeling unsure of the welcome she would receive. But she was buoyed up when he kissed her tenderly.

"I thought I was seeing double last night."

"It sometimes causes problems."

"I bet. But what do you want to do tonight?"

There was no doubt in her mind what she needed but the days events were causing Katie to reign in all previous expectations.

"Chris you know what I want," Katie was surprised at her daring, "but something happened today which I must tell you about."

"Okay, then we need somewhere quiet. Is it alright if I invite you back to my place?"

"That sounds perfect."

"Come on then, we'll use your car because I came in a taxi."

She was mute for the short ride and realising her mood he kept equally silent although having to fight hard not to take her hand in an attempt to heal the obvious hurt. But when they were finally in his sitting room she came back to life.

"Oh what a marvellous view."

She was looking out at the River Liffey visible through the floor to ceiling glazing.

"It is pretty amazing and keeps reminding me how lucky I am."

He then showed considerable skill in rustling up a couple of omelettes and they sat at the breakfast bar to eat.

"Now out with it. Tell me all."

But still she hesitated not wanting to be over confident at her position in his life until finally taking a deep breath she launched into an explanation.

"I must say first of all that we have only known each other for a few days," he broke in to say "four days going on five," which forced her to smile before continuing, "and you owe me nothing."

He had taken her hand and interrupted again when she paused to take a breath.

"It may have only been a short while but it's long enough to be entirely certain that I love you."

Her eyes immediately filled with tears which she dashed away with the napkin.

"Say that again."

"I love you."

So she had not misheard him. It then, not surprisingly, took her an appreciable time to collect her thoughts but the eventual reply was heartfelt.

"And I love you."

She was now reduced to a bout of unattractive snivelling but he seemed not to notice.

"So tell me what has got you into such a state."

"I had a phone call at home this morning......"

Katie then recounted everything including her conversation with Grace and leaving nothing out. Chris remained silent the whole time evidently concentrating hard as his first tentative question soon made clear.

"Does Shaun have any reason to suspect that you know about this woman?"

"No, that is unless she confesses to ringing me."

"And does he think that you have extramarital affairs?"

"How could you ask me that?"

"Don't be annoyed my love. I merely ask if he is the jealous sort?"

"Okay, sorry. No, I don't believe it would ever occur to him that I might have a mind of my own."

"So he is unlikely to have had you followed?"

"You mean by a private detective."

He nodded and her mind raced at the thought even as Chris summed up.

"On the whole it would seem unlikely, but I think you need to talk in more detail with that clever sister of yours, and we must be careful where we meet."

"You still want to see me despite all this?"

He smiled at the sudden fear in her voice.

"Oh I think so."

She punched his shoulder.

"Stop it, I'm serious."

"Ouch...that hurt...Look, I love you and that's that."

She looked at him under her eyelashes.

"Is that your bedroom through there?"

He got the message immediately and she left her food half eaten. Katie went through to the bathroom.

"Can I have a shower first?" She raised her voice to be heard.

"Only if I can join you?"

He came in with a pile of fresh towels and a couple of bathrobes and having put them down she found herself in his arms.

"I want to undress you."

Her head was pressed against his chest where she could feel his heart thumping.

"Yes please."

Where had this new found confidence suddenly appeared from? Had it been hidden somewhere waiting to be unlocked by this Prince Charming who was now carefully unbuttoning her blouse?

He slipped it off her shoulders and backed off to hang the garment on a hook his eyes never leaving hers. She watched his hands then reach out to unclip her bra and heard his sigh as he cupped the now unfettered breasts.

"Beautiful, they're just beautiful."

She shivered at the depth of emotion in his voice and felt her nipples harden in his palms. They were now stood facing each other with his head bent to admire her milk white skin while Katie simply felt delirious with happiness, every worry now discarded.

Chris then knelt and ran his hands gently down to her slender waist before unclipping the skirt and opening the zip. He let the material slide with a rustle to the floor but this time it was Katie who audibly sucked in a gulp of air as he buried his head in her groin.

"Chris wait, I need to shower first."

But he was deaf to the entreaty and merely removed her cotton panties to kiss the treasures revealed.

"Stop darling. Please don't kiss me down there until I've washed."

She hauled him up beside her and pushed him over to the cubicle where he set the temperature of the power shower under which she immediately ducked. Meanwhile Chris shucked off his own clothes. Katie giggled as he joined her with an impressive erection preceding his entry.

"I think that needs soaping."

She had already reached out with a sponge in her hand when he reacted.

"Wait my love, all in good time otherwise I might loose control."

He moved her arms away and took the sponge from her grasp. His subsequent journey down her body was full of wonder but when he seemed to forget his original purpose she was finally forced to soap them both.

Later having got it wet yet again she shampooed her hair and was entirely unconcerned at the rats tails which were left when he lifted her in his arms and carried her to the bed.

"I think it's time," he murmured in her ear, "but let me feel if you're ready."

"Of course I am," she wriggled as his finger explored, "It seems that I've been wet ever since the first moment we met."

Later as she lay beneath his recumbent body Katie was struck by the feeling that she was truly happy for the first time in a good few years and her arms involuntarily gripped Chris tighter as she exalted in the contact of their sweat slicked bodies and above all in his obvious love for her.

Then she raised her hips and passion took over once again to drive all extraneous thoughts from her mind.

"Chris...Chris...Fill me full...make me pregnant."

.............

Shaun rang at seven on Sunday morning forcing Katie to swim up from the depths to answer. Her body felt languorous and totally satisfied.

"I rang last night and you didn't answer?"

His voice was both petulant and critical.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know you expected me to stay at home just in case you were able to ring."

"Don't try to be clever, you aren't very good at it, and anyway I tried your mobile as well."

"It was probably turned off."

She was damned if she was going to offer any excuse.

"So where were you?"

"I was out fucking another man."

"See, now you're just trying to be clever again."

Katie let that go and tried something less controversial.

"So how's it going in Singapore?"

"Okay I suppose."

Why did she ever bother?

"I'm meeting Grace tomorrow night after work but I'll make sure that my mobile is on."

"Good, see that you do."

Was it just her newly suspicious mind or did he sound different, distracted perhaps?

...........

In the office at the start of the second week she was amazed that she managed to do anything without making a mess of it. Chris had arrived not long after her and it took all Katie's willpower not to fly into his arms when he called out 'good morning troops as he swept through to his own office.

"God but that lovely man was surely made to warm a needy woman's bed."

This was from the older secretary but she was only saying out loud what all three women were thinking. But fortunately Katie was not required to contribute as the younger woman then gave her opinion.

"No chance of him climbing into any of our beds ladies for he's never been known to mix work with pleasure."

They managed to stay apart for great chunks of their time in the office and when they passed in the corridors it was with the merest acknowledgement so she welcomed the end of the working day and sped off to meet her sister.

"You did the deed didn't you, sure I can see it written all over your love struck face."

They were in a taxi going down O'Connell Street and were about to cross the bridge.

"Grace it was absolutely grand, I had no idea how good it could be to have sex with a considerate man and one you love."

"And how would you ever know having only ever slept with that slug Shaun."

When they were seated in the restaurant Katie recounted the Sunday morning telephone conversation particularly the part where she had claimed to have 'fucked' another man.

"You didn't really say that, did you?"

"I did and he just complained that I was trying to be clever."

"When is Shaun due back?"

"Wednesday or Thursday. Why?"

"That baggage of his lives here in Dublin so you will have to be very careful from now on."

Katie was so wrapped up with thoughts of her lover that she failed to see the real significance of what her twin had said until the penny suddenly dropped.

"You mean I can't see Chris?"

"I mean precisely that."

"Ah Jesus then how will I manage to survive?"

Katie was horrified at the thought but soon accepted that a temporary parting was necessary.

"It might already be too late but let's hope for the best."

"Every time I look around now I'll be worried that I'm being watched. It might be that woman over there or the man at the bar who's obviously just pretending to be waiting for a friend?"

"Stop it or you'll go mad and don't use the phone at home or even your mobile to ring Chris because it will show up on the bill. If you can't bear to be totally out of contact then buy a 'pay as you go' mobile and give your new man's address for the invoice."

So on her way to work that Tuesday morning she stopped off and bought a phone putting one hundred Euros in cash onto the Sim card. She later found an excuse to be in the region of Chris's office and slipped in to give him the number and relate what Grace had said.

"Okay, we'll have to be careful until your husband's fate is settled but then I wont answer for my actions."

Chris rang her after supper and asked what she was doing.

"I'm just getting into bed."

"What are you wearing?"

She had already melted at the first sound of his voice but this query completely turned her on.

"Nothing."

"Oh god, nothing at all?"

His voice had thickened instantly.

"I never wear anything in bed."

"And are you lying down yet?"

"I am now."

"Were you going to touch yourself?"

She giggled because her hand was already exploring.

"Of course. Are you?"

"What do you think?"

"I think we are having our first telephone sex."

Chris was not in the office on Wednesday but in the afternoon her new mobile rang.

"Are you alone?"

She knew it would be Chris for he was the only person with the number.

"Yes."

"Is he coming home today?"

"I haven't heard from Shaun so maybe it will be tomorrow."

But when Katie got home her husband was sitting waiting.

...........

Despite her simmering anger she remained cool and merely sat down opposite feeling curious as to what he would say. The silence built but she felt no urge to break it for surprisingly she was actually enjoying his obvious discomfort.

But it was the strident shrill of the telephone which eventually broke the impasse. He stood as if relieved to be moving and lifted the receiver.

"Hello?"

She watched closely and saw his face change as he listened.

"No I haven't had chance yet."

He listened again before speaking.

"Of course."

Shaun slowly put the phone down and returned to his seat obviously determined not to catch her eye which was when Katie finally decided to attack.

"Was that your fancy woman?"

She spoke matter of factly no longer caring anything for him or his reaction. Shaun's behaviour over the past few years had driven away any remaining fondness that remained but true to type he retaliated vindictively.

"She's twice the woman you will ever be."

Katie ignored the intended malice and brought matters to a head.

"So what have you decided?"

"Well first of all you must move out."

Katie recoiled visibly. So he did think that she was stupid.

"And why would I do something so foolish?"

Even he was forced to pause and re-evaluate the situation but she was remorseless.

"Did you really think that you could browbeat me into leaving my home so your tart can move in?"

She could see the impotent rage building within him and like his father before he gave way to the only behaviour he understood. He was at her before she could react and the first blow from his fist caught her on the temple and the second on her jaw which was when she slid to the ground only hearing in the distance the insistent sound of their front door bell which undoubtedly saved her from more serious injury.

Katie came back to her senses prone on the marital bed with the family doctor tending her aching face.

"What's the damage?" She croaked.

"You have a severely cut and bruised face but I am glad to say that neither your skull nor your jaw are fractured."

Grace's face then appeared from behind the doctor. Her sister spoke bitterly.

"He could have killed you if I hadn't arrived."

The doctor was finishing up when he commented from long experience.

"There are far too many men about who resort to using their fists."

But Grace would have none of it.

"Yes and why? Because they have been brought up by their mammies to believe that the sun shines out of their arses."

When she had shown the man out Grace returned toting her smart phone and took a series of photo's.

"What are you doing?" Katie was horrified.

"I'm collecting evidence for the divorce court."

Katie suddenly remembered her husband.

"Oh god where is Shaun?"

"Gone. He hadn't even unpacked his case so he just threw it in the car and fled like the coward he is."

"Grace, thank you. What would I do without you. But how did you know to come at that very moment?"

"It was just that sister thing, you know what I mean, we both have it."

Katie lay back with her face hurting abominably but then started up again.

"What about Chris?"

"I found your new mobile in the bottom of your handbag and rang him. He wanted to come round straight way but I dissuaded him. Not without difficulty I might add but I also managed to talk him out of squaring up to Shaun which would have blown everything."

"Do you think Shaun will come back?"

Katie really meant will he come back and hit me again.

"He might try but I've already had the locksmith round to change everything. The new keys are on the hook in the kitchen and I've taken one for the front door."

Later Grace came to the bedside again to discover Katie half asleep but still conscious.

"Here's your new mobile, I'll leave it on the side table in case you need it."

She fussed at the bedclothes before leaving with a last comment.

"I'll be back in the morning to see how you're getting on but I may be a bit late because I need to go into my office first."

Katie heard the outside door close as her mobile rang.

"Hello darling," she croaked.

"Are you alright?"

"Bruised and battered but the doctor says that nothing is broken."

"Thank God."

"Grace was wonderful."

"Yes, she's been lecturing me over the phone so I'm a bit calmer than I was when I first heard what the bastard did to you."

"I'm afraid we will have to stay away from each other until she say's it's okay to meet."

"Fair enough but that's going to be hard."

"Ain't it just," she tried to giggle but the pain cut in, "so it's phone sex for the moment."

This time he managed to summon up a laugh which she interrupted.

"But not now my sweet, I hurt far too much."

By the time Katie heard the key in the lock on the following morning she had already struggled into the shower and dressed herself but the thought of food turned her stomach. So when she came through to the kitchen and Grace poured hot water into the cafettiere she refused the offer of toast.

"Don't stare at me, I look a sight."

And indeed she did with the one side of her face swollen and rapidly turning an angry shade of yellow.

"Never mind, it's all in a good cause as it happens."

"What do you mean?"

"The divorce of course."

Katie was by now sitting apathetically and unable to turn her mind to anything but clearly something was still working if only at a subliminal level.

"I must ring the agency."

"I've done it already, they are sending someone else for the last couple of days."

Katie had subsided again but Grace was here on a mission and would not be deflected.

"I've had my suspicions about Shaun for some time so for the last six months he's been watched," this announcement jolted her sister back to full attention, "and it's proved money well spent."

"Jesus, so you've already had private detectives on his tail?"

"Yup, so I know who this mystery woman is and we have all the evidence needed to prove adultery."

"Who is she?"

"A married woman from over Clontarf way. Her husband works for the same firm as Shaun and they met at some company do. You were probably there when he first clapped eyes on the woman."

"I don't remember anything like that."

"Why would you? Anyway he takes her away with him on his jaunts around Ireland so we've got plenty of proof."

She finished her coffee then began again.

"My trip to the office this morning was to arrange the immediate serving of divorce papers and to take out a restraining order on Shaun which did not meet with any difficulty because he beat you so badly. Anyway, from now on he can't come within a mile of you."