A Penny Saved is a Love Earned Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic LiteroticaĀ® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MoogPlayer
MoogPlayer
1,935 Followers

"Damn it all anyway," I grumbled, getting out of bed.

~~~~~~

I walked into the kitchen to find Megan and Sam sitting at the table talking. The moment she saw me, Sam stood up and wrapped her arms around me and softly said, "Hi, Uncle Bryan. Are you okay?"

"No," I replied, trying to hold back the tears and having no success, "I'm not, baby girl," and then the deluge burst wide open and I began to bitterly weep, with Sam, and now Megan, holding me in their arms as I cried.

~~~~~~

After I regained my composure, I sat down while Sam put a plate of homemade chicken and dumplings on the table in front of me. And just like she's done ever since she was able to talk, she sat down next to me and laid her head on my shoulder and softly said, "I love you, Uncle Bryan."

"I love you, too, sweet girl," I replied, "And thank you for making me something to eat."

"I hope you like it," she smiled, patting my knee, while Megan sat down next to me in the open chair on the other side, "This is the first time I've ever made chicken and dumplings."

"Oh, really," I teased, "Is it safe to eat?"

"Oh, you shut up," she sweetly giggled, playfully slapping my arm, "Mom and me already ate it and Mom said it was good so; there."

My sister learned to cook from Mom, who is the best so; there was no doubt in my mind that Sam's cooking was just as good, and more than likely better, knowing Sam. And after I took a bite, with the wonderful flavor confirming my thoughts, I smiled at Sam, who was anxiously awaiting my opinion, and said, "I'll yell you what, baby girl. This is the best chicken and dumplings I've ever had."

"Really?" she wistfully asked, "Even better than Mom's and Nana's?"

"Better that your Mom's and Nana's put together," I grinned, "Absolutely the best."

"I'm glad you like it," she proudly smiled, leaning over and kissing me on the cheek, "Thanks, Uncle Bryan."

~~~~~~

That night I tried to sleep, but I just couldn't so, as opposed to lying wide awake in bed; I went into the kitchen and fixed my self a very stiff mixture of Jim Beam bourbon, and Diet Cokeā„¢. Then I went through the back sliding glass doors, out to the pool and took a seat.

I'd made sure when I built the pool, that the lights were wired to a mercury switch so they would turn on and off according to the rising and setting of the sun. In other words, the lights came on when the sun set, and then turned off as the sun rose. But then again, I also maintain the option of turning the switch on or off whenever I choose to.

As I sat out by the pool, with the amber liquid in my glass scorching its way down my throat; I tried not to let it happen, but my mind always came back to Penelope. And even though she was mad at me I was still going to try and find a way to help her, regardless of the fact that our relationship might be destroyed because of it. The one thing I knew for certain was that I wasn't going to give up.

Hell, the only thing in my life that had failed was my relationship with Vicky, but as I look back now; it was never my fault to begin with. Vicky was, and still is a selfish little girl, and she always will be. That was all in the past anyway and I'd moved on.

However, I knew that come hell or high water, I was going to find a way to get Penelope to let me help her. I was going to have one hell of a time doing it, but I didn't care. I still loved her and I knew that I always would, regardless of the fact that I was probably going to lose her anyway.

~~~~~~

I'd been out on the back patio for about fifteen minutes when I heard the glass doors opening behind me. I turned around to find Sam coming towards me with a glass of chocolate milk in her hand.

"Hi, sweetie," I smiled, as she sat down next to me in her pajamas, "What's the matter, can't you sleep either?"

"I'm really worried about you, Uncle Bryan," she replied, "I know that something's wrong with you, and it's got something to do with Penelope. And the reason I know is because the last time you acted like this, was when you and Vicky split up."

"You think so?" I smiled, placing my arm around her shoulders and pulling her to me, "Since when did you get to be so smart, pretty girl?"

"Since the sperm donor tried to thrash me and Mom," she sadly replied, "I'm so glad that you kicked his sorry ass."

"You better not let your mother hear you say that," I cautiously warned, "After all, that's your father you're talking about."

"Father my ass," she hatefully spat, "He used to get drunk and then come home and beat the shit out of Mom. When I tried to stop him once, he broke my arm and I had to go to the hospital to get my arm reset so that the doctor could put it in a cast. I'll bet you didn't know that."

"No, I didn't," I replied, getting angrier by the second, "And it's a good God damn thing, too. I would've killed the son of a bitch."

"I knew that, and so did Mom," she quietly replied, "We didn't want to see you go to prison so; that's why you were never told." Then she wiped her eyes with the back of her hand and then sadly looked at me and quietly said, "Besides, you've been more of a father to me than my real one, Uncle Bryan, and it's killing me to see you like this."

I looked down at the ground, and with sad tears raining down my face at the thought of Megan and Sam having to deal with that jerk, I shook my head and began to cry once more.

Sam hopped up from the chair she was sitting in, and then sat down in my lap, throwing her arms tightly around my neck and sniffled, "You go ahead and cry all you want to. I'm right here, Uncle Bryan, and I ain't planning on leaving either."

I wrapped my arms tightly around this precious little angel who had come into my life nineteen years ago and wept harder than I ever recalled doing before. And true to her word, my darling niece Sam, remained right where she sat, trying her best to love the pain away. And although it helped a little, I still couldn't shake the darkness that had crept into not only my heart, but my soul as well.

~~~~~~

We'd been sitting there for a while when all at once I heard Sam begin to lightly snore, telling me that had fallen asleep in my lap. Deciding to carry her to bed like I used to do when she was little, I stood up with her in my arms.

"What do you think you're doing?" she smiled, "Put me down, because you know that you're not supposed to be lifting anything heavy for another six to eight weeks, silly."

"You're right," I smiled, putting her down, "I'm not supposed to be lifting anything heavy, and God knows that your ass weighs a ton."

"Oh, shut up," she giggled, playfully punching my arm as we walked into the house, "So, are you going to call Penny?"

"No," I unintentionally snapped, "And I don't want to talk about it either."

"Oh, come on now," Sam replied, "You don't stop loving someone just like that."

"It doesn't matter anymore so, leave it alone, dammit," I disdainfully growled, trudging my way down the hall to my bedroom, "Besides; that's the way she wants it so, that's how it's gonna be."

"Is that so?" Sam giggled, once I was out of hearing range, "Well, I guess we'll just have to see about that now, won't we?"

~~~~~~

Chapter Four

I opened my eyes the next morning after having a dreamless sleep the night before. And the wake of such, I remembered that I'd needlessly snapped Samantha's head off when she was only trying to help me through a difficult time last night. So, with that in mind, I made my way downstairs to apologize to her first thing that morning.

~~~~~~

I walked into the kitchen to find both Megan and Sam sitting t the table drinking coffee.

"Good morning, Uncle Bryan," Sam happily chirped, as she stood up, "Can I get you some coffee?"

"I'm so sorry for biting your head off last night," I said, wrapping my arms around her, "Please forgive me, baby girl, because I love you so much."

"Aw, Uncle Bryan," she sweetly cooed, placing her arms tightly around my neck and tenderly kissing my cheek, "I love you, too, so; there's nothing to forgive, alright?"

"Thank you, darlin," I smiled, kissing her cheek, "You're a sweet girl."

"Sit down and I'll get you some coffee, Uncle Bryan," Sam excitedly said, "Would you like something to eat, too? I'll even make it for you."

I could tell that she would've been disappointed had I said "No" so; I relented, like I always have where she was concerned, and then simply smiled and said, "Whatever's the easiest, baby girl."

It always made me smile to see Sam excited and this time was different. I grinned as I hear her squeal and take off toward the kitchen at a fairly fast pace.

"It's good to see you smiling for a change, little brother," Megan said, as I sat down at the table, "We've been worried about you."

I proceeded to tell her about the dreams I'd been having and who was involved. I even told Megan about the fight that Penelope and I'd had, and the reasons for it, as well as what was said. And when I was finished, she looked at me, and as sweetly as always, she told me, "I know that you two love each other, Bryan. It's as plain as the nose on your face, but when a woman is afraid, she lashes out at those she loves the most."

MoogPlayer
MoogPlayer
1,935 Followers