A Red Leaf & Ten Orchids Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"And he's only half right, Kayla." Rose said, "You listen to me. He hit pretty close to home, I'll grant you, but he missed all of your reasons. You acted the way you did because you perceived a threat to the ones you love. It was misguided, but your heart was true. You would die to protect your own. I know that. He does too, or he will when he's had a chance to think about it some."

Kayla very much doubted it, and her face told that story as she blinked back the tears looking at her aunt.

"Look," Rose said. "He's no angel, Kayla, but he's no turd either. I've known that boy for years now. I haven't seen him this mad in a long time, though. The funny part is, he only gets really mad about things that he cares about. You hurt him when you misjudged him. I guess he's a bit like you in that, isn't he?"

"There are two people that I know who are always being misjudged by somebody, Kayla, and you've just met each other."

Kayla's jaw fell open.

Rose smiled. "A lot of this is my fault, Kayla. I knew that something a little like this might happen between you. I just didn't think there would be firearms involved. I'd say that I've got apologies to make to both of you."

She sighed, thinking that this wouldn't work at all and now there likely couldn't be any possible alternative to selling the place.

"Now come on. We've got some things to look after, but I think we could both use some tea first."

Kayla didn't follow right away. She stood looking out at the main road. "Too bad I can't apologize to him. I really owe him that much, I guess. I ought to thank him properly too. I'm pretty sure he saved Jilly from a snakebite. You should have seen it. He shot at the snake to distract it, and then he put his body in front of the snake and shot it to pieces. And he more than likely saved me from blundering into getting my own ass bitten as well" she said.

Kayla turned to look at her aunt. "It might have gone a little better in different circumstances, but we were about ready to fall over in the sun there, and he came at us like I don't know what. I guess I reacted really badly, but then so did he. I can see that now, but it's still not all my fault. I don't think he'll be back. I guess I've worked my usual magic on a helpful stranger."

"Oh now don't you worry, dear," Rose said, "He'll be back soon enough and then you can both struggle over your apologies. He stays here, you know."

Kayla gasped and stared at her aunt. "What?"

"He comes here every year, and stays a while. Longer this time. I believe that he thinks he needs to help me get this place ready to sell."

Kayla thought about that and about what her aunt had said about Josh coming back. She groaned. Apologizing was something that she knew she should do, but she wasn't looking forward to it in this case.

She shrugged, "Well, I guess you're right about his getting mad about things that he cares about, Aunt Rose." she said.

Rose looked at her niece, "How's that, Dear? she asked.

Kayla looked over, "I saw how he took to Jilly, and I've never seen her even smile at a man one time since her dad and Marcia died, but she sure surprised me today and ..." she laughed for a second. "I was pointing Uncle Sam's gun at his....his.."

"His balls. Yes, I noticed that."

Rose smiled, and Kayla followed her aunt inside.