A Second Chance

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The next morning; I opened my eyes to find myself lying on my back with Laura on her side right next to me, She was resting her head on her left hand, watching me sleep while she gently rubbed my chest with her right hand. "Good Morning Handsome!" she cooed, as soon as my eyes were open.

"Hi!" I replied, sleepily.

She smiled and leaned down and softly kissed me on the cheek, then said, "I want to thank you for putting up with me last night!"

"Hey, it was no trouble at all!" I said grinning.

Then she gave me serious look and said, "Tom, I want to do something and I don't want you to take it the wrong way. It's just that, oh shit! I just can't resist it any longer!"

I wrinkled my brow at her and said, "What is it?"

She said, "This!" Then she kissed me, gently at first, then growing more passionate as it progressed.

It was a good thing that Allison interrupted us by coming into the living room and saying, "Jeez you two! I've got a guest bedroom ya know!" or it might have gone further. At the sound of Allison's voice; Laura stopped kissing me and raised her head slightly.

She quickly glanced Allison's direction, then back to me and, winking, loudly said, "Aw she's just jealous because her boyfriend's out of town for ten days!"

"You're damn right I am, Bitch," rang from the kitchen followed by girlish giggles from both Allison and Laura.

Then Laura got up and said, "Come on Lazy Bones, let's have some coffee!" By this time; Allison had come back in with three cups of coffee in her hands and sat down on the big recliner next to the couch. Sometime in the night I must've taken off my shirt because now I was bare chested.

The training I'd received in the Navy had stuck with me and, even if I say so myself, I was still in great shape which did not escape Allison's notice as she commented saying "Damn Laura! He's built like a brick shit house. Holy shit! Look at those pecks and abs. Mmm! I'll bet you had a good time with him last night!"

Of course Laura was thoroughly embarrassed and as she blushed a bright crimson, she said, "I told you we were just friends!"

Allison jokingly said, "Well can I borrow him for a couple of hours then?" If looks could kill, Allison would've been slain, drawn and quartered with one stroke of the sword. I saw a fire rise in Laura's eyes that scared even me and Allison took quick notice and replied "Chill out little sister; you know I'm only teasing!"

To diffuse a potentially awkward situation; I quickly changed the subject and said, "So how did you guys like the show last night?"

"I thought you guys rocked Tom!" replied Allison.

And with a squeeze on my leg, Laura added, "I thought it was wonderful!" We spent a few minutes drinking coffee and talking. Then the girls insisted that I shower while they made breakfast. It felt good to be fussed over by a female again and I felt myself beginning to come alive to roar once more.

Around noon; Laura packed a picnic basket, gave me a blanket to carry and we took off to the beach. We walked about a mile south till we came to a small secluded cove. We laid the blanket out and set the basket and ourselves down on it. I sat up and Laura wanted to lie back against me. I had no objections whatsoever so, once she was comfortable; she told me "I hope that I didn't embarrass you or put you on the spot when I told you how I felt last night!"

I wrapped my arms all the way around her and gently squeezed, then replied, "There is nothing you could ever do that would embarrass me Doc!"

I heard, as well as felt her giggle against me and she said, "You wanna bet?"

"Hmm," I replied, as if thinking about it.

But before I could say anything; Laura added, "Remember that I'm Zoë's room mate!"

"In that case; I think I'll pass for now" I said laughing.

I felt her reach her hands out to pull me tighter around her as she said, "Smart Man!"

There was something I had to ask her because I'd given it a lot of thought and I needed to know, so I said "You know we both talked about our feelings toward each other last night. But; there's something that has to, no, needs to be pointed out!"

"What is it Tom?" she casually asked, "Well, it's the age difference. I was..."

Before I could finish; she sat straight up and turned around to face me and said, "You listen to me Thomas McNeal, and you listen good! I don't give a damn how old you are or I am. I sure as hell don't give a damn what anyone thinks either!"

"Are you sure?" I asked.

She put her palm on the side of my face (I love it when she does that) and replied, "You still don't understand do you, you sweet, sweet man?"

I lay back against my elbows and said, "Well I don't know about the sweet part, but enlighten me any way" She smiled and curled up next to me.

Then she laid her head against me with her hand on my chest and said, "All the guys that are my age are a bunch of idiots, or their trying to find themselves or their gay, or God knows what. I can't carry on a conversation with any of them beyond anything but the size of my tits!" This elicited a giggle from me. She smacked me lightly on the chest as if to scold me then said, "I'm serious! Remember when we were talking about that first day in my office?" I nodded then she continued, "Well, even when you were leaning down and growling at me; you still spoke at a low volume and never once used a single cuss word in my presence even though I know I deserved it."

"So?" I replied, ignorantly.

Laura laughed and said, "So? So, even though I was furious with you; I still thought that was very noble of you and, to tell the truth, you excited me!"

"Excited you?" I asked.

She put her arm all the way around me and held me close then said, "Tom; you're the only man I know who not only stimulates me on an intellectual level and entertains me but; when I talk to you, like we're talking now, you make me feel beautiful without saying a single word about my appearance!"

I smiled and laid down on the blanket with Laura lying half way on me and as I looked at her with the sun brilliantly shining on her hair and her eyes blazing into my very being, I said, "I'm glad that you trust me and feel comfortable enough to tell me these things Laura!"

She smiled and hugged me tighter; then purred and replied, "I trust you Tom. I really do, it's just that..." She didn't finish and this alarmed me because suddenly I felt her tremble as if she were crying.

I sat up immediately and said "Laura? Laura what's wrong honey?"

I watched as she began to weep very bitterly and curl up into the fetal position while lying on her side. I physically picked her up and put her in my lap and, once again, held her while she cried, and then I told her, "Shhh, it's okay baby! I'm right here and what or who ever is bothering will never do it again. I promise you!" She continued to cry for a few moments longer then slowly her breathing returned to normal and before I knew it; she was asleep in my arms. The gentle ocean breeze caressed us as I sat there with surely the most beautiful thing that God could ever create asleep in my lap. As I thought of and tried to figure out what it was that caused her to react the way she did; my heart began to break wide open at the very though of Laura in pain and I too, while looking out on the ocean, began to weep albeit silently.

Just as the tears began to pour down my face; I felt a soft hand tenderly wipe them from my cheek as a gentle voice said, "Big boys don't cry!" I looked down and Laura was looking up at me smiling. "I'm sorry I woke you!" I said.

Laura batted those riveting eyes at me and said, "I wasn't asleep and why were you crying?"

As she spoke she sat up and looked at me questioningly. I told her the truth about what had upset me and that I couldn't stand to see her in such torment. She smiled at me lovingly and leaned in and kissed me softly on the lips. It felt as if I'd just come in contact with an angel and as she leaned back; she caressed the side of my face with her hand and said "You are a wonderful, kind, sweet and caring man, not to mention very easy on the eyes!" She giggled and then continued and said "It's amazing that; after all you've been through, you still have a heart left and don't mind to show it so openly!"

I sat up straighter and as I was brushing the little bit of sand on my hands off; I replied, "Well; Kate was the one who's responsible for that. She brought me out of an unimaginable darkness and back into the light!"

"I wish I could've known her. I'll bet we would've been friends!" Laura sighed.

I laughed and said, "Yes, I believe you would've!" I paused for a second, and then added, "You're a lot like her, ya know?"

"Oh yeah?" she replied, and then crossing her legs and leaning closer she said, "Tell me how?"

She reminded me of a kid at Christmas and I found it endearing, the tenderness of youth, so I told her "Well; you're brilliant, very strong willed I've noticed..." she blushed as I continued "...and like her; you take my breath away every time I look at you. And when you look at me, I can feel you looking all the way down inside of me!"

Laura smiled and, again, softly kissed me and replied, "Thank you Tom! It really makes me feel special to hear you say that, it really does!"

"Well it's easy to tell the truth!" I replied.

Then she looked at her watch and said, "You ready to eat?"

"Sure!" I replied, smiling. She opened the basket and withdrew two steak sandwiches with some chips, some fruit and two large bottles of water. As we had our lunch we said nothing, only smiling at one another while we ate.

Once we'd eaten we decided to relax a while longer and talk and this time; Laura insisted that I lay my head in her lap. She stroked the sides of my face and smiled while looking at me with those eyes. As she did; I said, "Laura? Can I ask you something without upsetting you?"

"Of course!" she replied.

So I sat up and looked her in the eye and said, "A while ago, when we were talking about your trusting me; something upset you very badly and I was curious and was wondering what had affected you so badly!" She looked apprehensively, almost terrified at me. I took her hand and said "If it's too painful; you don't have to...."

"No!" she interrupted me, then, with a sigh, continued, "It happened when I was 13. I was riding the bus home from school and it dropped off me and another boy, who was 15 and also my neighbor, at the head of a mile and a half stretch of road that was our bus stop. We would always walk together down this road to the split where we would go to our respective residences. I knew this guy had a crush on me but I didn't realize it had turned to an obsession. Because, we'd walked about a hundred yards down the road to where no one could see us from the main road and....."

Her bottom lip began to quiver and I could see the terror in her eyes and I said, "Laura, you don't have to do..."

"NO! I need to tell you this!" she said, and continued, "He threw me down on the ground and jumped on top of me. I could hear and feel my clothes being ripped from my body. I screamed as loud as I could but no one was able to hear me!" She paused only long enough to take a drink of water then continued, "He was going to rape me but before he could penetrate me vaginally, I heard my Grandfather's voice saying 'HEY!' And when the boy turned around to see what or who it was; I saw the boot of grandfather's right foot kicking him in the head so hard it knocked him off of me and onto his ass. My Grandfather had been out inspecting fence line that day and saw the whole thing!"

By this time; Laura was in tears and all I knew to do was hold her so I did, and replied, "I'm so sorry that happened to you but you're safe now here with me, I swear!" Then for some odd reason I added, "I'll always keep you safe, I promise!"

I felt her relax in my arms and when she leaned back to look me in the face she told me, "After that happened; I wouldn't go out alone again for a very long time. As I got older; a lot of really nice boys would ask me for a date but I was terrified and wouldn't go. It got so bad that I didn't even get to go my senior prom because of my fear and it stayed that way for a long time. I poured myself into my school work and I ended up graduating a whole year and a half early. I got an academic scholarship to U.C.L.A. and the rest is history!"

After she finished telling me all of this I said, "Laura, I'm truly sorry! Please don't let the actions of some immature asshole determine your opinion on how all men are because I promise you; we're not all like that!"

She put her hand to my cheek and said, "I know Tom, and that's why I trust you enough to share this part of my past with you!"

I put my arms back around her and replied "With God as my witness; no one will ever bother you again!" Eventually we had to get back because I had to get back to Spanky's and change my clothes for the show that night. So, as Laura and I made our way back down the beach to Allison's; she laid her head on my shoulder with her arms around my waist while we walked and I carried the picnic basket and blanket. I told myself right then that, if I ever ran into the shit-head responsible for her torment; he better give his soul to God because his ass belonged to me.

That night at Spanky's; the club was jumping and The Howlers were sounding great. I never knew that we'd all sound as good as we did. People were dancing by the stage and giving us the 'thumbs up' signal and/or one form of approval or another. The night couldn't have been more perfect. Laura was radiant and I'd never seen her look more beautiful than she did that night. On the fast songs; she and Allison danced directly in front of the stage and on the slow songs they sat at our private table. It had been one big wonderful gathering the whole night until.....

We were in the middle of our last set when suddenly I heard Laura's voice yell, "I SAID TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF ME YOU ASS HOLE!" As I looked down to where she was sitting at our private table I saw four bikers standing around it. I looked at Mike, who nodded at me, and then I was up and off the stage and standing next to Laura and Allison in a matter of a few seconds.

"What's the problem here?" I asked.

"These assholes can't take no for an answer!" said Laura, suddenly standing behind me.

I looked at the bikers and said, "Gentlemen, I don't want any trouble so I'm going to ask you nicely to please leave these ladies alone!"

I know that not all bikers are bad but these guys looked like your typical scooter trash and the biggest one said, "Why don't you step off before I beat your ass old man?" and then took a swing at me. After I avoided his punch; I pushed Laura and Allison out of the way and the fight was on. After I'd taken down the asshole that'd started it all; two of his buddies decided they were going to gang up on me.

However; before they could move in on me, Spanky appeared out of nowhere with a sawed off, 12 gauge shotgun at one the biker's throats and said, "I've told you dickheads to stay the fuck outta my club if you can't act right!" Suddenly; from behind me I heard the click of a handgun being cocked. But before I could move or do anything; I heard the crash of a beer bottle being broken. When I turned around; there was a biker lying on the ground, out cold, with a cocked .38 pistol in his hand and Laura was standing there trembling and holding the broken neck of a beer bottle in her right hand.

Spanky looked over and smiled, then said. "Damn Tom! That was close!" Then he looked at Laura and, laughing, said, "Hell yeah! She can stay!"

That night after the club closed and we had everything loaded up; we were all standing around talking about the evening's earlier events when I looked at Laura and said, "You saved our lives ya know?"

She smiled and replied, "Nah, I just did what anyone else would've done!"

"That took a lot of courage to do that!" I said.

Laura put her arms around me, and then looked at me, Mike and Spanky and nonchalantly said, "All those years you guys were overseas protecting me and I never even knew. Now what kind of American would I be to not return the favor?" Mike, Spanky and I, all stood there silently with tears beginning to form in ours eyes until Spanky walked over to Laura.

He got down on one knee and took Laura's hand. As he kissed it; he said, "Dear Lady; it is an honor and a privilege to have met you. Know that wherever you are and wherever you go; my thanks and gratitude go with you. Thank you Laura!" Then rising to his feet, Spanky looked at me, then smiled and said, "She's the one Tom, and you better hang on to her!"

Having decided to drive back to L.A. that night; Mike asked me what I was going to do. Before I could answer however; Laura spoke up and replied, "He's coming with me and we're going to follow you in my car!"

Mike giggled and said, "Well, I guess I've received my instructions!" So that's how we traveled, Mike's van leading the way with Laura driving she and I in her car, and Jed with Rufus following us. Laura held my hand the entire trip home not letting go even once.

The club had closed at 2:00 am and it only took us forty five minutes to get all our gear broken down and loaded aboard the respective vehicles. So by 3:00 am we were on the road headed back to Malibu. Because of the distance we had to travel and when we got home and got everything unloaded; the sun was up and beginning to shine. "What're you gonna do?" asked Laura.

I scratched my head and, laughing, replied, "I'm going home and going to sleep!"

"Mmm, that sounds like a good idea. I'm coming with, if it's alright you?" asked Laura.

I grinned and replied, "Sure, c'mon!" I got into my car and started it up while Laura got into and started hers. However; once Laura's car came to life; it just as quickly began to sputter, then smoke profusely right before it died. I shut off my engine and got out of my car. As I walked over to Laura's vehicle; I could see her inside banging her fists on the steering wheel. I quickly got her out of the car and raised the hood. As the flames jumped out; Mike was right behind me with a fire extinguisher to put the fire out.

After we'd put the fire out; Laura fell into tears and said, "Damnit! I've had to put that car in the shop several times and every time I get one thing fixed, something else goes wrong with it and now it's all burned up. Now what am I supposed to do?" I stood there while she cried into my shoulder, trying to soothe her.

When she finally calmed down I told Mike to call a wrecker and then I told Laura, "Don't worry about it now, sweetie. Everything's gonna be alright!"

She looked up at me, her face swollen from crying and said, "Don't' worry? I can't afford a new car, especially on a professor's salary!"

Then she was going to start crying again until I said "Do you remember yesterday when you told me that you trusted me?"

"Yes?" she answered sniffling.

As I wiped the tears from her beautiful cheeks; I smiled and said "Well, I'm asking you to do it blindly this time. Are you up to it?"

"Maybe!" she replied then added, "Why?"

I giggled and said, "Trusting someone blindly means no questions. Now get your bags from your car and put them in mine and I'll take care of everything, okay?"

"Alright!" she whimpered.

When we got to my house; I gave Laura directions to the master bedroom and told her go and sleep in my bed. I stayed in there with her until I was certain that she was sleeping peacefully. Then I went into the kitchen and got on the phone to Mike and, a couple of hours later, a new shiny midnight blue Mercedes 500 SL, was sitting in my driveway with the title in Laura's name. Once that was taken care of and after peeking in on Laura to make sure she was alright; I lay down on my couch and went to sleep.