A Summer By The Lake

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

At the very bottom was an announcement that Ms. Sarah Parker, a former high school teacher and recent resident of the community, would be the head librarian and part time driver of the bookmobile. The rest of the staff would be volunteers, including Mrs. Spivey. Her salary would be payed for the first three years by the nonprofit foundation.

Ms. Parker seemed very pleased with the opportunity, and pledged to do her very best to keep the library current and relevant to the community and the county.

God does indeed move in mysterious ways sometimes."

B.B. was standing in the middle of the road with Sandy and some more of the local kids.

"Did you hear? Did you hear?"

"Hear what? I just got home."

"Mom got a job! We don't have to move! We can stay with you!"

She kissed me and blurted out

"Congratulations, it's a girl!"

then got really quiet, and hung her head.

I hugged her to cover her embarrassment, and whispered in her ear so softly that only she could hear.

"I always wanted a little girl."

She surprised me by crying and running into the house. I told the rest of the kids to call their parents and tell them they were going to be a little late, they were all having dinner with Sarah and B.B. at my house in one hour.

In due time chicken breasts, burgers, and hot dogs were on the grill. Sarah made coleslaw, and steamed a bunch of mixed vegetables.

We sat watching them eat and chatter. Soon they were by the lake, where they had spent the afternoon. Cool weather was on the way, and they wanted to enjoy every moment. Sarah rocked and smiled, watching them.

"You heard?"

"Yeah, B.B. almost threw herself in front of the truck to tell me. Congratulations."

"I was so surprised when I got the job. They told me they wanted someone that lived in the community to run it, and my teaching credentials put me at the top. Not what I imagined my life to be, but I'm very happy. It's going to be a challenge, but the emotional rewards will be worth it. I'm gonna hit you up for books from you and every author you can strongarm, you know that, don't you?"

I was laughing when I told her I would expect nothing less, and I would talk to my publisher as soon as I could.

It was probably one of the happiest moments of my life, sitting in the glider holding her hand while we watched the kids play and splash in the lake. B.B. would look up towards the house and smile occasionally.

She wanted to take her friends for a canoe ride and was disappointed when I told her no.

"Aside from Sandy, none of you have experience. The worst thing I could do would be turn you loose. You'd flip over, maybe get hurt. Sorry girls, but I can't let you."

B.B. was disappointed. I had bought her a small two seater for her birthday and taught both how to use it. B.B. discovered my kayak, and soon she was out in the water paddling like she had years of experience. I thought Sarah was going to pass out when she flipped it over and paused for a second before she righted it. Sarah was already knee deep in the water by then.

"Relax, Mom. Watch this!" She rolled about five times, laughing and splashing before Sarah made her stop.

"I get it! You know what you're doing. Now stop showing off!"

She gave me one of those looks I hadn't seen in a

while. I decided the best defense was a good offense.

"What? You didn't want me to teach her? She had been eying it all summer. I figured if I didn't teach her, sooner or later she'd sneak it out. Without training, those things ARE dangerous."

I could see it was an internal battle, but in the end she let it go.

Looking at the disappointed faces she made an observation that changed both our lives.

"You know, it's too bad these kids don't have a place like this to go to in the summer. It's all state property except our corner, and there is no access anywhere. There's summer camps, mostly Methodist and Baptist, but most are halfway across the state and most kids can't afford to go, even if they could get there."

I almost knocked her off the swing with my kiss. She was surprised no end, but she responded.

"Whoa, what's going on here?"

The kids were standing there looking at us. I grabbed B.B. and twirled her around before kissing her too.

"I always knew librarians were smart, but your mother is a certified genius! Come on, help me get this crew home and I'll tell you about it later."

Sarah didn't know what happened, but she knew it was good. She waved us off.

"Go on, take them home. B.B., stay with me to clean up."

I hustled the kids home. Reverend Sampson and his wife looked at me and knew something was up.

"What are you grinning about?"

Mrs. Sampson asked.

"Did you read the paper today about the library?"

They both smiled.

"A miracle indeed. June and I both agree this will help everyone. June is going to volunteer one day a week if she can work it into her schedule."

"Remember the tag line at the end of the story. God does indeed move in mysterious ways, and today I think He smiled down on all of us."

I wouldn't give them any details.

Later on, when I told my girls, they actually cried. They didn't know about Diamond Realty, and the thought that they might lose their home and the beauty of their surroundings shook them badly.

I approached Jimmy Howell, told him what was going to happen if my plan went through, and told him I would honor my last offer, if he agreed right away. I had my lawyer with me, and a check already made out. He was no fool, and when I told him he could still stay there the rest of the season, he accepted immediately.

It was a tricky deal and I had a whole team of lawyers on it, but a month later it was done.

A SEASON OF MIRACLES read the headline.

"Bear Lake, until now in private and state hands, is now in the public domain. Almost all the private acreage has been purchased by a non profit, nondenominational foundation. It will be developed, disturbing the land as little as possible,into a spiritual retreat, catering mostly to children, of all faiths. When developed it will be able to handle one hundred fifty to two hundred guests, complete with bunkhouses, dining halls, and educational centers. When fully operational, the retreat will hire local residents for staff positions, estimated to be as many as twenty five seasonal and full time positions. Currently the foundation is seeking board members to oversee the integrity of the organization. So far the only members are Greg Sampson, minister of Bear Lake Baptist Church, Sarah Parker, the soon to be local librarian, and the internationally recognized author H.H. Smith. Anyone seeking to serve on the board should call the number provided.

Mr. Smith held most of the privately owned property, and sold all of it except his house and immediate property, making him the only private landowner on the lake."

It went on about housing designs and construction dates, and as soon as the board was assembled bids would be accepted for construction. The plan was to be at least partially operational by next Memorial Day.

................................................

Sapphire Jade Diamond ripped the paper to shreds before calling her lawyer.

"Sorry, Ms. Diamond. The county will make more off the retreat than they would off property taxes. Direct and service jobs could reach a hundred or better. Sales tax would rise, goods and services would expand dramatically. There's no way the county commission will change their mind."

She fumed, she plotted, but there was nothing to be done. Her hatred of Harry went beyond normal emotions.

.................................................

I might have been fooling her mother, but B.B. was a pretty sharp cookie. She knew there was a guardian angel hovering over her and her mom, and she pretty much knew who it was.

She had taken to calling me Dad when we were alone.

"Fess up, Dad. Just because I'm young doesn't make me stupid. I've thought this over. Everything is too easy, and doesn't seem to happen until I say something to you."

Every time she would bring it up, I would grab her and twirl her around.

"Daughter, I have no idea what you're going on about. Have I ever lied to you before that you've caught me at? Let it alone, be happy for all of us."

She would just shake her head, but the look in her eye never changed.

................................................

Paradoxically, by arranging for them to stay, I got to see less of them. As often as she could, Sarah spent her time checking on the progress of the library, a discontinued school building. The county had donated the property to the foundation. Three buildings, the larger one holding a three hundred seat assembly hall. Plans were already in the works to expand it and turn the other building into a community center.

Sarah was driving the bookmobile just as soon as it got outfitted. She got to know everyone on her route, usually just setting up in a church parking lot for a few hours, but there were a select few that for health or transportation reasons couldn't come, and she would go to them.

Following the village example set through the ages, these drops became social events, she may be the only person they would talk to that week. She always blocked the time for them. Often there would be cookies, brownies, or a small cake delivered with the books. Sometimes she delivered medicine. She became an advocate for these people, getting them cellphones through Medicare or Medicaid. They were free and preloaded, some used up all their minutes before they got more, and it taught them to conserve, always keeping a few minutes just in case.

One old lady really got to her. Disabled and without a car, what she missed most was not being able to attend services.

"Too bad we don't have one of those church buses," Sarah said sadly "we could get volunteers to drive them."

She was sniffling.

B.B. looked at me and grinned.

"I'm sure if you say a prayer tonight, Mom, it'll go straight into God's ear. I'm sure Harry and I will do the same, won't we, H.H?"

I mumbled under my breath, after agreeing, about smart and pushy kids.

Two week later the church owned two twelve seater vans. They were used because that was all I could get on short notice, but they were in very good shape. The first week they ran we had a celebration in the church hall, preparing lunch for all who rode and anyone else who wanted to participate.

I saw the old woman that meant so much to Sarah cry and hug her, and B.B. as well. To me, that made it worth it.

The only thing I didn't like about it was everybody knew who donated them, as well as the money to keep them in top form.

The Reverend Sampson ambushed me.

"We have been blessed. I had a dear friend remind me lately that God does indeed move in strange and mysterious ways. The living testament to that is our Harry. He endured pain, lost a woman he loved through greed and spite, almost died from a gunshot wound. But he survived and has done wonderful things with his life, including amassing a great deal of money. But unlike many who hoard their wealth and fight to keep it, he gives it freely when the need is just. He does it with little fanfare, enjoying the pleasure of giving quietly, because he can."

He looked at me with tears brimming.

"Stand up, Harry. Quit hiding your light under a bushel, and let us thank you."

He was beside me as I sat in the pew, pulling me up. Both Sarah and B.B. were crying, but made sure they hugged me first after the reverend. Everyone in the church regardless of size and age hugged me or tried to. The outpouring of love overwhelmed me, and I had to sit down, my own tears flowing down my cheeks.

When we finally moved to the hall to share the meal, I tried to chew out the reverend.

"If you embarrass me like that again, I'll go somewhere else."

He laughed at me.

"When you say that and I look into your eyes and believe it, I'll pray for your soul. Now, let's eat."

................................................

B.B. started school. Sometimes her mom would drive her, sometimes I would, sometimes she took the bus.

Sarah fussed, but I put a shelter at the bus stop to keep her out of the weather while she waited, complete with heater. It could get pretty cold in these mountains.

I just smiled at her.

"My property, my decision. You can always forbid her to use it."

That never happened.

I had to go to Chicago for the new book, and took them along. They visited old friends, and shopped while I did my business. They were having a ball until they ran in to her ex, completely by accident. Even though he had visitation rights he had never once come to see B.B. She had matured quite a bit, shooting up two inches and started developing a figure. No doubt, she was going to be a heartbreaker. He didn't recognize her at first. Sarah just stopped dead on the sidewalk.

"B.B.! Is it really you?"

He hugged her, not even acknowledging Sarah.

"Have you moved back?"

With a glimmering of what a she devil she could be when she wanted to, she smiled sweetly.

"No, we're here on a visit. Mom's new boyfriend brought us. Here he is now."

I had just walked up. She grabbed my hand.

"Here he is now! Da...I mean Harry, this is my father."

He was frowning as he shook my hand. Sarah and B.B. had moved closer to me, for security. He noticed.

He tried to smile.

"Well, since you're here, how about spending a few days with your Dad?"

She gave that sweet little smile of hers.

"Sorry, father, we're leaving today for home. Remember it, the place you've never been to? If you're in the neighborhood, stop by. Now, please excuse us, we're in a bit of a hurry."

He went bright red and turned to Sarah, reaching out to grab her arm.

"You've turned her against me! You bi..."

I had instinctively slipped between them, blocking his attempt to touch her.

"Mind your language! There are children present."

He snarled at her.

"So, you're with this loser. What's wrong, have I spoiled you, are you unable to be with a real man?"

Sarah suddenly regained her voice.

"You're right. I am spoiled. By Harry. He's shown me what a real man is, and you'll never attain that level. You're just a controlling, manipulative little boy compared to real men in general and Harry in particular. Now, we really have to go."

We went by him, and he grabbed my arm.

"You! You're the one behind my troubles. I knew she couldn't afford those high dollar lawyers. If you think you're the sugar daddy who can protect you, you're wrong. I'm coming after custody, watch out!"

I grabbed his little finger and twisted outward. He almost went to his knees. I looked over at Sarah.

"Ready to go home?"

She smiled and took my arm.

"Whenever you are, dear."

We left him, fuming on the sidewalk, vowing vengeance.

She waited until we were on the plane before she started asking questions.

"What was that sugar daddy crack about? What high dollar lawyers? Truth time here, Harry."

I squirmed a little before I gave her the Reader's Digest form of the truth.

"I knew you were having a hard time. I also knew he was jerking you around over support and alimony. He lived in Chicago. My publisher is based in Chicago. So is my lawyer. I reached out through him, and was able to see you get what's coming to you."

She sat and had the trial in her head before she rendered verdict and sighed.

"Thank you, Harry, but you need to let me fight my own battles."

I gently pointed out at the time she was suffering from her version of combat fatigue at the time, and reinforcements were needed.

.................................................

The asshole did sue for full custody, saying he could give her a better life. My lawyers ripped him to pieces. I actually went to court with them. B.B. held my hand the whole time, scared to death.

It was short and sweet.

His lawyer presented his case, doing a good job for what it was worth. Then my/our lawyers got up and destroyed him.

"You live in a rented apartment, correct, sir?"

He answered yes.

Our lawyer looked at the judge.

"I would like it placed in the records that my client owns a house, free and clear, in a rural setting, on a lake. It is a three bedroom split level." He submitted pictures of her house, and his apartment.

This was true. When the foundation deal went through, I cut her house and five acres out. I had her dad present her with the deed before he left for Florida. I know, sneaky and underhanded.

"I understand you have a good income. True?"

He bragged about his job.

"Then sir, could you tell me why on several occasions in the last year you have withheld paying your child support and alimony?"

He had no answer. Our lawyer submitted her starting salary in her new job, noting the schedule of raises she would get if she reached certain goals.

Your honor, would you please note that with her salary, alimony, and child support, her gross income is slightly higher than his. Plus, since both her house and car are paid for, her living expense is considerably less than her ex husband."

His lawyer had had enough.

"Your honor! Income is not enough reason to keep a man from his child."

The judge, a woman, looked over her glasses at him.

"You are quite correct, counselor. Quality of life, however, is a big factor. So please let your opponent continue.

Our lawyer switched to another subject.

"Tell me sir, what is the name of the school she would be attending if she lived with you? Do they have a good record? Have you prepared to have her enrolled? Where is the nearest park? Who will watch her while you work after school and in the summer? And if you love her as much as you say you do, why haven't you visited her once in almost a year, or brought her here to spend time together while she was on summer break?"

He obviously hadn't thought about any of that.

In the end he said he thought he would work all the details out after he got custody, and he just hadn't had the money to make the flights.

" You just told us what a great salary you made. What did you spend the money on? Was it the vacation you and your girlfriend spent in Cancun?

Or the weekends in Miami or Myrtle Beach? As much as you and your girlfriend like the sun, you should consider moving. That's six tickets, all first class, you've bought last year, none of them for visiting your daughter. For the money you spent, you could have flown down, rented a car, and got a motel room every other week and still have money to spend on her. What did you get her for her birthday this year?"

My attorney looked at the judge.

"Could we wind this up, ma'am? No further questions for Mr. Parker. I'd like to call Miss B.B. Parker to the stand. Let's hear what she has to say about all this, and who she'd like to stay with."

His attorney had fought to keep her off the stand, and lost.

I had to walk her up to the stand before she would let go of my hand. The judge gave me a look.

"I know you. Have you been in my court lately? And clarify, the child obviously is very familiar with you. What's you role in this mess?"

"You have a good eye, your honor. I was in your court two years ago, following a criminal trial I was thinking about making into a book. And I'm proud to say that Sarah and B.B. are very special to me. We're neighbors, but more importantly we're friends, and I tend to stick by when my friends are in need."

She shook her head.

"I remember, the writer. You gave me some of your books. Quite good. You may step back."

B.B. was eloquent on the stand. She described the breakup of her parents from her view, and how lonely she was when they first moved. Then her eyes glowed as she described her life later, her friends, her school, her church, how much better it was in a country setting. She bragged about her perfect grade point average, her certainty to be on the principals list in the newspaper.

1...345678