A Tale of Two Sisters Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Every now and then she'd lean up with her head under my chin. She expected me to kiss the top of her head while she held her left hand up against my cheek. She told me too, she said, 'You can kiss me," and she'd lean a little so I could kiss one of her ears, then she'd look at her mom and say something like, "look I'm on Uncle Gary's lap, and he's kissing me."

I guess I got a little embarrassed. I could feel myself blush.

The whole time Tammy was on my lap Virna didn't look at me once; she looked at Tammy though. Looking at Virna looking at Tammy was an experience in and of itself. All the bitchiness I was accustomed to was something reserved for people like me. I swear the love Virna had for her daughter was immeasurable; Virna's face glowed when she looked at her child. No one except maybe the old people back home ever looked at me that way.

The warmth in Virna's facial expressions coupled with the way her body seemed to curve and curl around on the floor in front of me made her look absolutely beautiful. She was so disarming I guess I was kind of glad she didn't look at me or say anything.

While Tammy sat and squirmed on my lap I asked her if she got everything she wanted for Christmas. She said almost. She said there was still one thing missing. When I asked her what it was she told me she wasn't allowed to say so I left it alone.

By then it was close to 9:00. Marty, Virna, Mr. Milano all had to go to work the next morning, and Tammy was long overdue for bed. Virna loaded up Tammy's loot, they said their good byes and left. I got a kiss on the cheek from Tammy; I felt like it left a warm spot. Though she kissed everyone else Virna only shook my hand.

Pretty soon it was only Dominick and I left. I asked, "Maybe I should get back to my place now?"

Dominick said, "There's no hurry. I have a bottle stashed." He pulled out a bottle of Jim Beam, two glasses, and poured us each a good one.

I thanked him and took a sip, "Dominick I should be going..."

He interrupted me, "Not just yet. Let's stay and talk a while."

I didn't have much choice.

Dominick started by talking about what he was doing, "I'm a Petty Officer aboard an Air Assault Ship. You know much about them?"

I told him I'd looked them up on the Internet.

He smiled, "That's a good start. I'm not supposed to say too much, but I'll tell you this. We have eleven ships like mine. We're all over the world. Lately we've been back and forth between the South China Sea, the Arabian Sea and the Bay of Bengal. We've been up and down the Arabian Peninsula, all around the Gulf of Aden, and up the Persian Gulf as far as Kuwait. We pick up and drop off marines every couple of weeks. I can tell you this. Everywhere we go we scare the shit out of people. We can project American power hundreds of miles in all directions, and with the marines on board we can go anywhere and occupy anything."

I was impressed.

He went on, "If we had the technology we have now back in 1992 all that mess in Somalia would never have happened. We would have either cleaned the place out with a couple drones or we'd have dropped in a couple hundred marines. There would never have been that in and out crap. I mean it; we scare the shit out of people. You should see the Iranians when we coast up along their shoreline. Let me tell you; they stay well clear of us. No sir, no more USS Coles, not anymore."

What he was saying was fascinating, but I could tell he had something else on his mind. He finally opened up, "That's not what I want to talk about Gary."

I started, "I want to apolo..."

He clipped me again. I knew where Virna got it, "Gary I know you're sorry. That's OK. I love Marty. She's had it pretty tough. I know Virna's filled you in on all that, or at least as much as you need to know, but I don't want to tell you about Marty."

"No," I asked. Jesus I got a word in.

He asked me, "What do you know about my other sister?"

"Virna," I said, "well she had Tammy out of wedlock, and she doesn't particularly like men."

He drank down his glass of Jim Beam and refilled it, "That's what I thought. Let me help you out a little. Virna's the oldest of us three. Mom and dad had high hopes. She had a good Catholic education. She was probably the most Catholic kid at school. For a long time mom and dad thought she would join a convent, maybe become a nun. You know someone like Mother Teresa. Gary you have no idea how devout she was. Still is actually."

I started to say something, "Yeah..."

I got cut off, "Let me tell you Gary that girl was like the Virgin Mary, but then this guy, this creep named Tommy Watson showed up. Man he was smooth; he had money, a car, and he was a lot older. You know what Virna looks like; she's a stunner. He zeroed in on her like a heat seeking missile. She was so naïve, so trusting, she never had a chance. Man he swept her off her feet. At the time I was having troubles of my own, and Marty was up against it. Nobody thought about Virna." Then he asked, "Gary?"

He paused. I thought he was going to have another drink, but he was waiting for me to say something so I started, "I agree..."

He cut me off again, "You see she's pretty too. I watched you tonight. You think she's gorgeous don't you?"

He didn't wait for an answer, "Everybody's always seen that, but nobody thought about how innocent she was, still is. Tommy took advantage of her. Gary I tell you; she fell head over heels in love. In her eyes he could do no wrong. When I tried to say something she'd cut me off. She'd either cry or get mad. Well he got her; he knocked her up."

I started to say 'I see' but never got a chance.

"Gary she was this very religious girl. If she didn't give herself to God she was going to her marital bed a virgin. Gary, that prick Tommy stole that away from her. Even so she believed he really loved her. She believed he'd stand by her. It never happened. She told him she was pregnant, and he disappeared."

I got in a word, "She must have been seriously pissed."

He blocked me, "Virna? Her? Not her. She refused to believe he'd abandoned her. She held out right up to the time she went to the hospital to deliver Tammy. Even after Tammy came she still talked about him like she thought he'd come back. Gary it took her over a year after Tammy was born to realize the prick wasn't ever coming back; then she went into some serious depression."

I never knew any of this.

He kept talking, "She went from disbelief to depression, to anger, to hate. For a long time she hated all men. I mean she even disliked me! I was away by then. I joined the navy right about the time she got knocked up. Eventually she and I started to write. Gary she was so down. I was afraid for her, but then something else happened."

"What was that," I asked?

He answered, "You happened."

"Me?"

"You saved Marty's life. It was like you rode into town on a white horse, you rescued Marty, and your kindness overwhelmed Virna. I've got her letters if you want to read them. It was like you cast a spell on her. But then Marty went to work on you. Marty can be something when she wants to be. She swept you off your feet. She yanked you right out of Virna's grasp."

I was stumped. I knew Virna felt something, but I thought it was more disdain than anything else. I said, "You don't say."

"Man," he said, "Virna did a complete one-eighty. You went from hero to stupid asshole overnight."

"And now," I asked?

"I don't know," Dominick replied, "What I do know is you hold the emotional well-being of both my sisters in the palm of your hand. One wishes she could get you back, but she knows she can't. The other one, Virna, she wants a daddy for her daughter, and believe it or not I think she wants you for herself. But, and this is the tricky part, she wants to protect her sister too."

I shook my head. Inside my brain was telling me I needed to get the fuck out of Dodge as fast as I could, but my heart was telling me I needed to hang around. I needed to try to help the sisters sort things out.

Dominick looked at me, "Well Gary what're you going to do?"

I shrugged, "The divorce isn't final till March. I'm still in school till at least May. I'm not going anywhere. I guess I could..."

He interrupted me again, "I knew it. I knew it as soon as I saw you out on the hospital parking lot. You're not the type to cut and run. You'll see this through. Marty and Virna are both confused right now, but I know my man. Yes sir I do. You won't let them down."

I tried to get a word, "I could stop in from time to time."

He grinned, "I knew it. You're one of the good ones."

"Can I go home now," I asked?

Dominick got up, "Oh yeah, sure. Grab your coat. I'll start the truck."

++++++++++

After Dominick got me to my car I drove back to Flintstone. I knew I was talking myself into doing some stupid things. One thing I thought I'd do was move again. I decided I needed to be closer to the Milanos; poor Marty, though I hated what she did, the woman probably needed some help, I thought emotional support. I thought about Tammy; she could use some attention, or maybe it was that I could use some attention. I liked the kid; she didn't make a lot of demands and she wasn't judgmental like I thought some people were, and then there was Virna. I needed to set the record straight with Virna. More's the truth about Virna; I'd heard the things she'd said, or inferred about me, they were flattering, they stroked my ego.

++++++++++

I did move back. I got a room back in Hagerstown about three blocks from where Virna lived. Once I was resettled I decided to stop back in at the Eagles Nest to see Virna and check up on Tammy and Marty. It was just after New Year's, and brother did I get a rude awakening.

I stopped off at the Eagles Nest early Tuesday evening. I remember it was January 8th because it was freezing cold and they were calling for snow. The tavern was open late, but I knew Virna was usually off by 9:00; she liked to be home as soon as possible just in case Tammy awakened. Virna's mom usually got her ready for bed.

My fall class had been on Tuesday, but the class I was taking during the shorter winter session was Wednesday night. Dominick had emailed; he was back in California. Though I knew he'd be writing and emailing his sisters, I promised to keep him up to date. So it was Tuesday, close to 9:00, and I sort of sauntered into the bar. Maybe I overdid it a little; I guess I was just a little full of myself. I had my reasons; I'd heard the recordings, I'd talked to Dominick. Hell I guess I figured my shit didn't stink.

I went in; the place was nearly empty, probably because of the weather. I stepped up to the bar and waited for 'Bitch Girl' to see me. She saw me all right; she ignored me too. I sat at one end of the bar. She stood behind the bar at the other end. Finally I went down and asked, "Can a man get a beer around here?"

Virna turned to the owner, a nice fellow named Mel, "Mel I'm leaving now. This guy needs a beer," without a word to me she walked to the door that led to the back.

I was dumbstruck. What had I done now? Not knowing what else to do I left the bar, outside I found Virna's car and waited for her. I wasn't long; she slipped out, saw me, hesitated for a second, and then walked over.

I stood by her car and asked, "OK what'd I do?"

She pushed by me and reached for the handle of her car door; she'd already hit the key thing so it was unlocked. She swung the door open almost hitting me, she got in, and as she closed the door she said, "Nothing, now leave me alone."

I stepped back and watched her drive away. I hadn't expected a brass band, but maybe a hello or something would have been nice. I'd checked her out when she got in. I thought she looked exhausted. I also noticed she only had a lightweight windbreaker on.

I wasn't made of money, but I knew I could afford a coat. It was only 9:00. There were stores aplenty open. I slipped over to my car and bee-lined it to the nearby Kohl's. Kohl's might not be Macy's, but they still had some pretty nice stuff and I could guess at Virna's size. I went in, found the womens' winter coat rack, selected what I thought was a pretty nice dark brown suede coat with fur lined collar. I took it up, bought it, went back out, got in my car, and made my way to Virna's.

I got to her house, walked up the steps to her front door and knocked. I waited. I waited some more. Finally she got to the door and opened it a crack. I know she saw the bag. She said, "What do you want?"

I asked, "Can I come in?"

"What for," she asked?

I asked, "Is Tammy asleep? I bought you something."

I heard a soft little girl voice, "Is that Uncle Gary mommy?"

Virna turned slightly, "Go to bed Tammy."

Tammy's darling child's voice replied, "Mommy can I see Uncle Gary?"

Virna glared at me evilly as she opened the door slightly, "Just for a minute sweetie."

I stepped inside, saw Tammy and went to my knees, "Hey Tammy. How's my girl?"

She ran into my arms. I dropped the bag I was carrying and hugged and kissed her. She kissed my cheek and started laughing. I hadn't shaved all day, and I think my whiskers tickled her. I glanced to my left where Virna was standing. Why was she so angry? I gently pushed Tammy away, "I think mommy wants you to go to bed."

Tammy jumped away, turned and skipped toward the stairs, did a childish pirouette blew me a kiss, actually the pirouette was pretty good, "goodnight Uncle Gary," and she was off, running up the stairs.

Virna stood back and reopened the front door as if to usher me out.

I stood up, "I bought you something," I opened the bag and held up the coat.

Virna looked from the coat to me, "Thanks but I have a winter coat, now please leave, and take your coat with you."

I put the coat on a nearby chair; it was a rickety old thing. I told her, "I saw what you had on tonight. I want you to keep the coat. It's cold out there, if you get pneumonia or something you might give it to Tammy," I left the way I came. As I started down her porch steps I felt something hit the backs of my calves. I looked down and saw the coat. I left it there and went on to my car, got in, and drove home.

I had no idea what I'd done to make her so mad. I hadn't caused the divorce. I was trying to live up to my promise to Dominick. Hell, Marty was still technically my wife, and though I hated what she'd done to us I still loved her. I cared a lot about Virna and Tammy too. Oh fuck Virna; fuck her spongy headed kid too. What did I care why Virna kept being such a bitch?

A couple days later when I got off from work I found an envelope inside my mailbox. Opening the envelope I found the exact amount of money the coat cost. I wondered if she'd returned the coat or had she found out its price and paid me for it. Later that night I was parked on the Eagles Nest lot when Virna came out; she was still wearing a lightweight windbreaker. I guess I had my answer. I made up my mind right then and here I'd get even.

How would I get even with Virna? That was easy; I'd be nice to Tammy. Tammy liked American Girl dolls. I checked them out on the Internet; they weren't cheap. I scanned the prices and thought I'd buy some accessories. Then I saw something that caught my eye. Emily wasn't the main doll. Emily was supposed to be another girl's English friend. The American friend was named Molly, but Molly had been discontinued.

I sifted through e-bay and sure enough I found a Molly doll; a new one too! I emailed the owner with an offer. Bingo! They needed the money. We exchanged addresses. I went to the bank, got a cashier's check and mailed it off. Two weeks later I had a message in my mailbox; they had a large package for me. Molly had arrived!

++++++++++

So Thursday, January 26th I hauled my ass back over to Virna's. I guess I couldn't have picked a worse night. I got there shortly after 7:00 p.m. Mrs. Milano's Pontiac was parked in front. I wondered what was going on. Oh well, I figured I've got the doll and some accessories; I'm going on in there.

I reached the door and knocked. Virna opened it right away. Jesus she looked terrific. She had on this black skirt and white blouse, her hair was all done up, and she must have been wearing four inch spikes.

She opened the door with this big smile on her face; then she saw it was me and the smile evaporated. She said, "What do you want?"

I held up the big box, "I bought something for Tammy,"

I heard Tammy in the background "Is that Uncle Gary?"

Virna growled, "Yeah, he says he has something for you," she opened the door to let me in.

I held up the box. Molly was inside the box but protected by a cellophane cover. Tammy yelled, "Molly," she dashed up to the door, "You got Molly for me?"

I knelt down. By then Mrs. Milano had stepped into the living room. I'd already surreptitiously scoped out Virna's work schedule at the Eagles nest and I knew she was off on Thursdays. I wondered why Mrs. Milano was at Virna's this late. I smiled at Tammy, "I heard Molly was Emily's friend so I got her for you."

Tammy grabbed the box, but not before she hugged and kissed me, "Uncle Gary you're the best!"

I had it figured. I'd give her the doll. Virna was off. Tammy and I and Virna would play with the Molly and Emily dolls, and I could figure out what Virna hated me for this time. Boy was I wrong.

Just as Tammy started to unwrap the cellophane I heard another knock on the front door. Virna opened it, and there stood Morgan, the Hopkins heart surgeon. Virna stood aside and he walked in, "I'm not late am I?"

Virna smiled at him and said, "No you're right on time."

He saw me, "Its Gregg isn't it - the nurse."

I replied, "No it's Gary."

He had his coat over his arm when he looked at Virna, "If you're ready we have just enough time to make it."

I watched Virna as she walked to the hall closet and got out a full length shiny black leather overcoat. Morgan walked over and helped her put it on. I heard him say to Virna, "It's not too big is it?"

She glanced over at me, "No it's a perfect fit," she smiled at Tammy, "You and Uncle Gary have a good time playing with your new doll, and remember Tammy; when Grandmom says it's time for bed you listen."

I looked from Tammy to Virna to Morgan. He'd obviously bought her the leather coat. I bet it must have cost $1,000.00, and it made the suede I'd tried to give her look like a garbage bag. Just the same I thought it was too much coat; it looked heavy on her, and she looked like she was swallowed up in it.

Virna was wearing her typical 'Gary you're stupid' smirk. Morgan had on what looked like an $800.00 three piece suit; yeah it even had a vest. He looked like one of those football players that hosted the NFL Channel. I watched as he wrapped his arm around Virna like he owned her. Damn I thought he acted like some African chief and Virna was this white virgin he'd just bought.

I got up, "I hadn't planned on staying. I just wanted to drop the doll off on my way to see a friend of mine."

Morgan kept his arm on Virna's shoulder. He had this proprietary expression on his face, in that huge black coat she looked like some trinket. I thought a condescending grin flitted across his face, and then he said, "You have a date too?"

I replied, "No not a date; just seeing a classmate."

Morgan held up his arm and checked the time. Yeah, he was wearing a Rolex, "We've got to run. Big date you know."

As they walked out the front door I forced a grin, "Have a good time," neither one of them responded. I turned back to Tammy, "I can stay a little while."

She smiled, "Wait here while I go get Emily."

I put thoughts of her stupid shitty mother out of my head. I'd solve her problem some other time. I called after Tammy as she ran up the steps, "I didn't know so I went ahead and bought the Molly movie. We can watch it if you want."