Adventures of the Cohort Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Soebek110
Soebek110
278 Followers

"Of course not," the Mayor responded, calming. "But they do not know that. They should not bother you again."

He turned to the parents, who watched on in shocked silence. The man still gripped his sword, though his grasp was waning.

"And for the Gods' sake man put away that bloody sword!" the Mayor cried at him. The man shrank back, dropping the weapon on the ground with a loud clang. After a moment of silence, the Mayor turned back to Mikael and Melissa, and he looked upon them pleadingly.

"Please find my niece," he said, his eyes dropping.

"We shall, your honour," Mikael said, standing tall. "I swear my life upon it."

The Mayor nodded and strode away, staring daggers at any person he came across. The street was nearly deserted again, the populace almost as scared of the vengeful Mayor as they were of the vampires who attacked them at night. At length, Mikael and Melissa turned back to the missing girl's parents, who looked upon them with something approaching remorse.

"I'm... sorry," the mother stammered at last, wringing her hands. "I know it wasn't your fault."

Melissa stepped forwards, offering a soothing hand. "Do not worry about it. I cannot begin to feel your pain, but I can understand it. We will not rest until we find your daughter. Of that you can be sure."

"Why are you doing this?" the woman asked, looking straight into the medic's eyes.

"Because it is the right thing to do," his beautiful Sister replied, a sympathetic smile on her face. "And we do the right thing."

"Then... thank you," the mother said quietly.

"Is there anything you can tell us that might help?" Mikael asked, drawing the attention of the girl's parents. "Where was she yesterday?"

"She works at the graveyard," said the mother. "And she went to the woods later that evening to collect some herbs. But she was here in the house when she was... taken," the woman continued, choking back tears. "There's nothing more to say."

Melissa nodded. "Then that is all we will ask. I can echo my companion's promise. We will find your daughter."

Mikael and Melissa nodded and walked away, hearing the quiet sobs of the mother behind them. There was nothing they could do to ease her pain bar finding her daughter -- so that is exactly what they would do.

*****************************

Mikael's footsteps crunched over the forest floor, his eyes constantly scanning the trees around him as he strode through the dense foliage. The leaves overhead filtered the sunlight to a mottled shadow, and the wind rustled through the trees. All around him the signs of animal life flicked and fluttered at the corner of his vision, and he stopped walking a moment to savour his environment.

The forest reminded him of his travelling days, and he enjoyed that. Whilst he was happier now than he had ever been, he still remembered them with a pleasant sense of nostalgia. He had spent many days and nights in forests in his past, some spent as a ranger, others as the son of merchants. He held a special bond with it, though he now came to realise there may have been more to that bond than simple familiarity. He was, after all, linked with the Gods -- and that included those of nature.

He had been searching all day for signs of the vampires, but had not come across any. Animal dens and the remnants of bandit camps had been all he had found, and it seemed the day had been largely wasted on his part. His Sisters were scouring the town more thoroughly, and he only hoped that they had had more luck in locating the vampires' lair.

Resuming his walk, Mikael noticed with a start that the birds were no longer singing and once more froze on the spot, cocking his head to listen. Somewhere relatively close by someone -- or something -- was trudging clumsily through the undergrowth. Mikael shrank into the shadows, identifying the direction of the noise, and waited.

As the sounds grew louder it became more and more obvious that they were not caused by vampires. For one thing it was still daylight, and though the forest was heavily shadowed in parts, Mikael doubted whether that would provide enough protection to beings so sensitive to light. Moreover, the footsteps that approached him were lumbering and inelegant. Despite their evil, vampires moved with a silent grace, not the heavy lurch of an ogre.

Mikael breathed quietly, listening to the sounds intently to try and ascertain their source, and as the footsteps grew even closer he could make out hurried talking. It was low, as if trying not to be overheard, and yet loud enough that these people were clearly not masters of stealth. Their clumsy footsteps and loud breathing indicated they were carrying something of great weight, and Mikael grew wary. Anyone stumbling through the thick forest undergrowth talking quietly and hauling with them something so bulky and burdensome was likely to be doing something shady, and he intended to find out what.

His answer came on the breeze, a pungent -- but not revolting -- smell wafting to his nostrils as the wind rustled past. Owlbear eggs, Mikael realised, his eyes narrowing. In his time as a ranger he had learned to identify the smells of the forest, and one of the rarest yet most recognisable of those odours came from the eggs of an owlbear. These men were poachers, and were hurriedly escaping the nest from which they had recently stolen the eggs.

Mikael flexed his muscles in the shadows, prepared for the fight that potentially lay ahead. Owlbears were rare, incredibly so, and he could not allow their eggs to be stolen by poachers. Animals or not, they were created and looked after by the Gods, and thus it was Mikael's duty to protect their young.

The men burst into his view with nervous glances, the man at the rear clutching a crossbow, not helping with the lifting of the heavy chest into which they had evidently placed the eggs. He glanced nervously over his shoulder every few seconds, and Mikael realised with a start that the owlbear mother was probably not too far behind.

He stood, stepping out of the shadows and causing the men to jump. They lowered the chest to the ground quickly, and looked upon Mikael warily. They did not want to be held up with an angry mother pursuing them.

Mikael smiled. He would do the work that the mother couldn't -- she was only one being, albeit one of great strength. She would attack these poachers, driven by rage, and would be killed. Mikael had to prevent that.

"Good afternoon, gentlemen," Mikael smiled at the three men, casting his eyes over their tatty armour and shabby weapons. He subtly unhooked his throwing knife from his wrist; none of the men appeared to notice.

"Get the fuck out of our way," the crossbowman, who was clearly the leader, growled edgily. Evidently he was worried about the proximity of the owlbear mother. "You don't want to mess with us."

Mikael stepped forwards and stared pointedly at the chest. "I don't? It just looks to me like you're smuggling owlbear eggs, which - and correct me if I'm wrong here - is both illegal and extremely disruptive to nature. You're aware, of course, that owlbears are exceptionally rare?"

"I said move out of our way," the crossbowman repeated, staring hard at Mikael. The other two men reached for their own weapons; one grasping the hilt of a sword, the other an axe.

"I wouldn't go for your weapons," Mikael said calmly. "If you leave that chest here and go then no one has to know what happened. I'll say nothing."

The leader laughed scornfully, slowly and deliberately loading a bolt in his crossbow. Mikael stood there.

"You're right," he grinned. "You'll say nothing."

The bolt flew from the crossbow with an angry hiss, racing towards Mikael. In a blur, he ducked out of the way, rolling to his side and standing upright. The men looked at him aghast.

"I warned you," Mikael sighed, and with a flick of his wrist his knife protruded from the leader's skull. The man slumped to the floor like a sack of grain, already dead. The other two looked at one another a moment, before charging at Mikael.

He sidestepped one, blocking the sword that arced towards him as he dodged the other's axe. Rolling to the floor he stood, thrusting forwards as the men turned. They were not total amateurs, though, and deflected his blow, attempting to counter. Mikael parried easily, gauging their combat prowess as they attacked him again.

"Run now and I won't have to kill you," Mikael said as they edged towards him. "I will end your lives to protect these eggs if I have to."

With a roar the axe-wielder lunged towards him again, swinging the weapon in a wide arc towards Mikael's chest. He leant backwards, avoiding the cleave, before his own sword glittered upwards. His attacker collapsed to the floor as the blade sliced through his armour, penetrating his heart and killing him near-instantaneously.

The sword-bearer backed off, his mind evidently conflicted. He had not charged with his companion, and stared at Mikael with wide eyes.

"Run," Mikael simply stated, his cold gaze fixed on the wavering poacher. The man complied, dropping his sword with a clang and sprinting into the undergrowth. Mikael could hear his terrified footsteps thudding into the distance as he raced through the forest.

He stood there a moment, before he became aware of another presence nearby. Spinning, he scanned the tree line, and his eyes took in a hulking form lurking in the shadows. He crouched, flicking open the chest and exposing three gleaming owlbear eggs.

"Time to go," he whispered to himself as the shadowy figure crunched forwards. Yanking his knife from the lead poacher's head, he sprang to his feet and darted from the small clearing. A moment later, he had disappeared into the forest.

*****************************

Mikael returned to the town a few hours later, having completed his search of the forest's borders. Deeper exploration would have taken considerably longer, and Mikael very much doubted that the vampires were much further into the forest -- they would have far too far to travel every night were that the case.

He strode through the town with his cloak tightly wrapped around him, as much to disguise his identity as to keep out the cold. Despite the Mayor's impassioned defence earlier in the day, Mikael felt the cold stares of the townspeople on him wherever he went. Clearly, they did not trust him, no matter how hard he and his Sisters tried to show their honesty.

He hurried to the tavern, hoping to take solace in his room and discuss his findings -- or lack thereof -- with his Sisters. Instead, he found a group huddled outside, gossip raging like a wildfire through their midst. They did not seem malicious, but they certainly looked warily upon Mikael as he strode past.

His Sisters stood in front of the tavern, the owner glaring angrily at them. Mikael's pace increased, his mind frantically wondering what was wrong, but as he did so something caught his eye. Looking up, he saw a great black mark where he and his Sisters' room had been; someone had attacked the tavern, and they were most obviously the target.

"I want you out," the owner growled as Mikael neared. "No excuses. Out."

"I assure you, we will not allow this to happen again -- the townspeople must realise we work for their benefit," pleaded Melissa, urging the barkeep to change his mind.

"Leave!" the man shouted, anger clear in his eyes. "I will not 'ave my tavern attacked. You are a threat to my very liveli'ood. Go!"

"I see you will not change you're mind," Lucinda said, resignation heavy in her voice. "Very well, we shall leave." She turned, smiling weakly at Mikael as she saw him approach. "You may as well turn around," she said to him, joining him with Melissa. "We're not staying here any longer."

"Why? What in the Gods' name happened?" Mikael asked, as he and his Sisters hurried through the crowd that was still assembling.

Melissa sighed unhappily. "Someone attacked the tavern whilst we were investigating the town. The tavern owner wants us gone. Not unreasonably, I suppose."

"Who attacked it?"

"We don't know. From the frosty reception we've had since we arrived, I would not be surprised were it the townspeople themselves. They do not seem to realise that we are here to remove the vampire infestation, not strengthen it."

"Then where do we go?"

"I do not know, Mikael," Lucinda snapped, anger simmering below her voice. "You are not a child. We must stay somewhere, and perhaps you can stop asking pointless questions long enough to help us locate a place to sleep."

He shut up immediately. He was sure that his Sister meant little harm; he felt her frustrations. The very people they were trying to help had turned against them, and yet they could not just leave them to their fate. His meaningless questions were doing nothing to lighten their mood.

They sheltered under the eaves of the town hall, hopeful that their proximity to the Mayor might prevent them being attacked again. Dusk had begun to settle across the land, and the streets were near-deserted. The vampires would not emerge whilst any daylight remained, but the people of Habbrant were not taking any chances.

"You may follow me if you need somewhere to stay," said a quiet voice.

The Cohort turned to see Hammond's maid stood nearby. They had not heard her approach.

"My master will be quite happy to put you up for the night; he understands that the people of this town can be... mistrustful."

"He is sure?" Lucinda asked, somewhat surprised. "Then we most graciously accept."

"Follow, then," the maid said, clearly unimpressed. Mikael wondered why she was so frosty towards them.

She spun, leading the Cohort away into the deepening gloom. At least we've somewhere to sleep, Mikael thought.

*****************************

"Thank you for taking us in," Lucinda smiled at Hammond as his maid served them dinner. They sat at a long, oak table, silver cutlery and crockery laid out before them. "We had nowhere else to stay."

The old man smiled back. "It is no problem. I know you are doing what is best for this town, even if the people do not. And, I fear the attack on the tavern was partly my fault."

"Oh?" said Mikael, raising his head.

"Yes," Hammond replied. "I mentioned whilst trying to turn down throngs of customers that I could not sell my wares anymore, under your instruction. I attempted to say that it was in their best interests, as my charms did not work, but I was shouted down. I have a horrible feeling that it may have pushed some of the townspeople to violence."

"You meant no harm. Do not worry," Melissa soothed.

"Well, when I found out that you had been banished from the inn I could not watch you spend the night alone in the dark. Especially not given our current nocturnal predicament."

"That is very kind," the medic said.

Mikael ate a mouthful of the soup. It was delicious, much better than the tavern food he had eaten the previous night. Hammond's maid knew how to cook, even if her attitude was a little cold.

He looked around the dining room. An impressive suit of armour stood in the corner, and rare animal heads hung from each wall. He was slightly repulsed by the sight -- these creatures had once roamed free in the wilderness of his world -- yet he maintained his composure. They were here disguised as travellers and adventurers, not workers of the Gods.

"Where did you obtain these trophies?" Mikael asked at length, gesturing around the room.

"In my adventures," Hammond smiled back. "I was an accomplished traveller in my youth, part of a group who raided tombs, explored caves; even provided mercenary muscle on occasion."

"Oh?"

"Ah, yes, we were quite famous around these parts. I spent the night with many a fair maiden, and earned myself quite the fortune." He looked around at them, his eyes lingering on Melissa and Lucinda. "But perhaps I should not be talking of such vulgar matters in present company," he added, amused.

"And how is it you came to reside here in Habbrant?" Lucinda asked, ignoring his previous comment.

"It was one of my favourite towns in the area. When it came time for me to settle down, I wanted to stay where I was comfortable. I had done many a deed for the populace, too, and so I was welcomed. My fortune bought me this magnificent house and I have been content in my old age."

"So I can see. It's very impressive here," Mikael said, looking around.

"Thank you. Jenna keeps everything in good order; the girl is invaluable."

Another brief moment passed as the Cohort and Hammond ate their food. Mikael had not realised how tired he was, but now that he was well-fed and warm the drowsiness began to truly set in.

"Forgive me for asking, but how did you come to be afflicted with vampirism?" Mikael ventured at last.

Hammond smiled back. "Do not feel ashamed for enquiring. It is only natural that you would wonder." He stood, placing his napkin back on the table, and strolled over to the farthest, most ornate suit of armour. "It happened whilst my companions and I were exploring long-abandoned elven ruins. We had heard of great treasures contained within, and had decided that, whatever the risks, we would obtain them."

"Elven ruins?" Mikael asked, having never heard of any in this area.

"Indeed, many, many leagues from here; beyond even the Delthrey Mountains to the west. We were warned by the locals not to go in -- elves are wicked creatures, and whatever they touch is imbued with their malice."

"Elves are evil?"

"Oh, yes. More evil than you could possibly imagine. I pray you never have the misfortune of meeting one," Hammond replied, his back to them. Melissa had raised her napkin to her lips to disguise her broad grin.

"But I digress," Hammond said. "We had entered the ruins, and descended into their cold dungeons. We came across an underground river, clearly built into the designs, but as I tried to cross it I was swept away and separated from my group.

"When I finally struggled free of the water, I found myself alone in a large room. At least, I thought I was alone. Before I could react I had been attacked by a group of vampires sheltering from the daylight.

"I thought I was going to die -- the vampires were all female, meaning their nest leader was a male. And a nest leader never converts those of their own gender. You and I would have been regarded as mere food, dear Mikael, and that, I was sure, was to be my fate. However, the Gods intervened, and my companions came upon me as the vampires conducted their foul ritual. Our wizard punched a hole in the ceiling, causing daylight to flood through, and my attackers were either killed or fled.

"It was when I awoke from my ordeal, however, that I came to realise I had contracted that terrible affliction. Our healer stabilised my wounds, and I was rushed to the nearest temple. There the priests prayed over me for three days, until eventually I woke again. The Gods had saved me, cleansing nearly all traces of the vampirism from my system, and I still thank them to this day. Vampirism can never be removed entirely, however, and that is why I maintain some vestiges of that curse even now. It is what gives me an innate understanding of vampires, although perhaps my knowledge of how to destroy them is a little less complete than I had originally thought."

"A fascinating tale," Lucinda smiled politely. "I hope my companions and I may learn from your experience."

"As do I," Hammond nodded. "You would be wise to."

*****************************

Mikael surveyed the small room that he had been given. Wooden panelling bedecked the walls, and the floor was covered in plush carpet. It had a reasonably sized bed in the middle of the room, and a small desk with an oil lamp in the far corner. It was well-furnished, though far from opulent.

Soebek110
Soebek110
278 Followers
1...45678...10