After The Storm

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I guess for everything," he finally replied.

"Everything?"

"Yeah."

Leslie did not know what to think. Having Jason in her arms and vise versa was beautiful and she sensed a difference in his actions. Surrendering himself into her care perhaps. She thought maybe she was reading too much into it, but him thanking her for everything caught her off guard. What did he mean by that? That, she did not know and maybe it was time that he was ready to open himself to her if she asked him. Just maybe.

"You're welcome," she replied softly without delving into anything deeper.

Jason reached out until he found her hand once more and together they found the bottom of the steps. Slowly, they mounted the steps with Jason in the lead. When they reached the top, Jason flipped the light switch, but the darkness remained. He reached for the doorknob, turned it and pushed. The door would not budge no matter how hard he pushed.

"It's blocked," he said. "I can't move it."

"Shit."

"My thoughts exactly."

"What are we going to do?"

"I guess we'll just have to wait it out until someone can get the door open."

"But what if no one knows we're here?" Leslie asked, her voice hinting of panic.

"We'll listen for activity and we'll yell until they hear us," he explained. "Besides, we had some customers so they'll think of us. They won't forget us."

"God, I hope you're right," Leslie replied, sighing.

They descended the stairs slowly and carefully, getting to the bottom a lot safer and easier than just a few minutes before.

"Do you think there's anything left of the store?" Leslie asked, her voice quivering slightly. She could feel Jason's presence to her left.

"I don't know. I'm sure there'ssome kind of damage if the door is stuck, plus all the noise and stuff. Who knows?"

Suddenly, she heard him smack his forehead and exclaim an expletive.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"I just remembered," he said laughing, "I've got my cell phone with me. I can't believe I forgot about it. We can call somebody to let them know where we are."

"Oh my God!" she cried as she threw her arms around his neck, kissing his cheek as she did. Her exuberance almost knocked Jason off balance as he was not expecting it. He hugged her back and held her for a few seconds.

When she let go, he handed her the phone. "Call your parents," he said since her folks lived in town and most of his family had moved away.

Leslie dialed her parents' cell phone thinking correctly their regular phone would not be working. It rang a couple of times before her mother answered.

"Hello?"

"Mom, it's me, Leslie. Are you guys okay?"

"Thank God you called. We were so worried about you. We're fine. We didn't get hit. Are you okay?"

"Well," Leslie began, "I'm fine, but we're stuck in the basement and we can't get out. I don't know how bad the store is or anything." She hesitated for a second. "How bad was the storm?" she asked timidly.

Her mother ignored the question, not wanting to worry Leslie.

"We'll see if we can get over there and get you out, or get someone to help you. We'll be right over."

"Okay mom. I guess we'll wait for you, then. Thanks a lot. I didn't know who else to call."

"Don't you worry, now. You'll be out soon. Let me go so we can get over there."

"Okay mom, thanks."

"You're welcome. See you soon."

The line went dead and Leslie pushed the phone towards Jason until she felt his arm. Closing the phone, she found his pants pocket and slipped it in, falling against his loose change and keys.

"They'll be here as soon as they can," she announced.

"That's good. There's nothing much else to do except wait, I guess."

"Yeah."

She reached for his arm and eventually found his hand, which she took. Fear gripped her as she began to really think about her store. She was extremely thankful that she and Jason had made it to the cellar safely, but now all she could do was wonder and ponder her fate.

The store and everything in it was insured, so money wise she was okay, but did she want to start over again? Did she have the strength to rebuild something she and Charles had made? But, Charles would not be there to help her this time. Jason would be there for her. She knew that. She felt responsible for Jason and did not know what he would do if she chose not to rebuild. Her mind was in a whirl and she was scared at the same time.

Leslie shivered involuntarily. Jason pulled her close and hugged her to him, thinking she was cold. She certainly did not mind being in his arms once more. She placed her head against his chest and sighed, wishing she was being held for other reasons.

"Are you cold? I'll warm you if you want," he said, hoping for an excuse to keep her in his arms.

"I'm not cold," she replied shakily. "I'm just a little scared, that's all." She buried her face even further into his chest.

Jason's instinct took over as he leaned down and kissed her forehead tenderly. His lips brushed her eyebrows as he lightly

kissed her again. They had given each other friendly kisses before, but Leslie was amazed at the softness of his lips this time.

"We're alive and we have people looking for us," he said as he backed away slightly. "We're okay. That's what counts." I couldn't bear to lose you, he added in his thoughts.

"You're right," she replied haltingly as she fought her emotions. "I'm just worried about the store."

"I know you are," he said as he pulled her close again. Once more, she did not resist his touch. "It'll be okay, you'll see." He rubbed her back lightly with his right hand for emphasis.

"You're so sweet," Leslie murmured, once again wishing they were at her house instead of in a dark, dank basement. If they had any light whatsoever, she would have seen Jason's face turn several shades of red from embarrassment.

"If you say so," he replied.

"I know so."

"Not if you ask my ex-wives."

"I don't care about your ex-wives," Leslie retorted indignantly. "They had to be idiots, letting you go like they did."

Jason laughed. "And you know different?"

"All I know is we've worked together for five years without a single cross word for each other. That speaks louder than anything else."

"Maybe you wanted to bite my head off, but didn't say anything," he teased.

"I've never been mad at you," she replied, "exasperated maybe, but never mad."

Leslie frowned at herself for leaving herself open like that. Jason did not let the opportunity pass.

"When have you been exasperated with me?"

"Never at work."

"Really? When?"

Silence was her answer.

"Come on," Jason pressed. "What is it? What's wrong."

"Nothing."

"I don't think so. Tell me."

Leslie choked back tears in fear he would be angry with her if she told him the truth. Well, his anger she probably could handle. It was rejection she feared the most. She did not think she could handle him rejecting her. There was no way she wanted to lose him as a friend. He was too important to her.

"Can't you just hold me and we can talk about it later?" she asked in a whisper.

Jason squeezed her hand. "No. Tell me now," he said gently.

"I don't know if I can. I don't want you to be angry with me."

"I won't be angry with you," he said, almost incredulously. He thought to himself, how could I be angry with her? "I promise," he added solemnly.

Jason wished he could see her face so he could reassure her. He had a vague idea of what she wanted to talk about and he was more than willing to hear her out. He felt closer to her than ever and was willing, finally, to try to put away his fears of messing up another relationship. He knew in his heart Leslie would be worth it.

Leslie remained silent for a few more seconds thinking about what she was going to say. Flirting with him was one thing, but pouring out her feelings for earnest was quite another.

"You're too good of a friend for me ever to be angry with you," she began. "I guess over the past few years you've become even a better friend for me, if that's possible. A very special friend." She laughed lightly. "I don't know, Jason. I feel us getting closer, but you always seem to be holding back. That's what frustrates me about you. I'm finding I want more from you and maybe I'm wrong to want that. I don't know. I just need you more now, I guess."

In the darkness, Jason could hear her sigh heavily.

"I know you've said you don't want to get involved with anyone ever again and sometimes I don't blame you, but what about me? Don't you haveany feelings for me?"

Jason cleared his throat as Leslie fell silent once more as she waited for his reply.

"I've had feelings for you for quite some time now," he answered softly.

"You have?"

"Yeah."

"You never let on."

"I couldn't."

"Why not?"

Jason sighed as he began to reveal his true feelings.

"I guess I always felt I couldn't sustain a lasting relationship. I went through two bad divorces and I never wanted to go through a third. If we started something, I couldn't bear for it to ever end. I'd rather not get serious with you if it meant a risk of losing you forever."

There, I said it, he thought to himself.

"Do you still feel that way?" Leslie asked timidly. She still was not sure of his true feelings.

Jason shook his head, although Leslie could not see it.

"No," he admitted. "I don't feel that way now."

"You don't?" she asked hopefully.

"No. It gets kind of lonely being by yourself after a while, but you know all about that, don't you?"

Leslie nodded her head yes. She had been awfully lonely. The nights were particularly hard on her.

"I know how stupid I've been," Jason continued, still trying to get some things off his chest. "It's even sillier when there's someone special right in front of you every day. You've been there all along for me and I was too scared to do what I should have done a long time ago."

Without waiting for a response, Jason tilted his head slightly as he neared her face. Feeling his presence, Leslie waited nervously in anticipation as she wetted her lips. Jason miscalculated in the dark as his lips caught Leslie on the tip of her nose.

Leslie giggled as she pulled him close, hugging him to her. "You missed," she mused.

Jason laughed too, his own nervousness gone, replaced with relief and his love for her. "Great first kiss, eh? How can I kiss you when I can't see you?" he lamented.

"I'll show you," Leslie said.

She leaned forward and had no difficulty whatsoever finding his lips. Soft and sweet, her lips met his. A surge of happiness went through her. For such a long time, she had waited for this, waiting for Jason to find his strength. It had been five long years since she felt the lips of another man upon hers. She knew Charles would approve for he was a man who wanted nothing but happiness for his Leslie. She knew he would be smiling from above because he, too, had been friends with Jason.

Leslie kissed Jason and never wanted it to end. It was special like a first kiss should be. Within seconds, though, sounds from above startled them as they heard voices and things being moved around. In the far distance, faint sirens could be heard. They broke their embrace quickly, their heads snapping to attention from the interruption.

"We're being rescued," Jason said softly, his hands touching her face. "Too bad," he laughed, "I was really enjoying that."

Leslie melted from his touch and almost wished they had not been found so quickly.

"Me too," she agreed. She took his one hand in hers and kissed it. "Thank you," she murmured.

"For what?"

"For loving me."

"For loving you? That's easy," he laughed.

"I'm cheap, butnevereasy," she corrected him. "Come on," she said, giggling, pulling at his sleeve, "unfortunately, it's time to be rescued."

* * * * *

They sat in her living room that evening. On the surface, it was not too much different than any other evening they had spent together, but now, they had a much deeper appreciation for each other. As they talked, their fingers were intertwined and they were holding each other, something they really enjoyed doing.

Her store had been damaged, although not extensively. The front window had been blown out, possibly within a minute or so after Jason pulled Leslie away from it. Books and other inventory had been ruined, but there was nothing that could not be replaced or repaired. They were luckier than some of the owners in the block. Although the tornado destroyed scores of houses and buildings, it was not as destructive as it could have been.

Leslie had already made up her mind to rebuild her store. It was her last link to Charles and she knew she could not get rid of their dream. It was that store that helped keep his memory alive in her heart. Besides, she enjoyed her store too much to give it up. She loved the town and the people who came in every day to browse or buy. Having Jason next to her every day was also an important part in her decision. The thought of Jason working elsewhere and not being around her during the day was something she could not bear. She simply had to have him near.

Jason looked at Leslie seated beside him. Except for a few bumps and bruises, they were fine. Leslie's back and shoulder were still tender from where Jason fell on her, but she was no worse for wear. She was a lovely sight indeed and Jason was grateful he had finally come to his senses. As Leslie had noted, they were still young and time would tell if they were meant to be or just another relationship that did not quite make it. With all his heart, he wished for them to be together always. That was his dream.

For the past half hour, words were silent as none were needed. Glances and smiles replaced what was not said, but they understood perfectly just as well. Sometimes, words got in the way of what was already clear and they knew this.

Leslie's light-gray eyes looked to his, dancing and laughing as a smile creased her happy face. Deep inside, she felt as happy as she ever had, but she also knew that same happiness could be taken away from her in a blink of an eye as her thoughts went to Charles once more. Almost instantly, her eyes turned misty, something that did not go unnoticed by Jason.

"What's wrong?" he asked, alarmed at the sudden change. He shifted his weight so he could look at her closely.

"Oh," she sniffed, "I was just thinking about Charles for a second."

"You really miss him, don't you?"

"Yes," she answered. She wiped her eyes with the back of her hand.

"Anything I can do to help?"

"Just hold me and never let me go," she replied.

"I can do that."

Jason went back and allowed Leslie to snuggle against him, her head buried against his chest. Her arms were around him and hugging him fiercely. Her eyes were wet, but she was not crying.

"I really need you," she whispered.

Jason bent his head down and kissed her cheek, all the while brushing her tears to the side with his thumb.

"I'm here," he replied, before kissing her cheek again. I'll always be here for you, he added in his own thoughts.

It was not long before Leslie was dozing peacefully in his arms, her exhaustion overtaking her. Jason thought about the day and the immediate future. He knew it would be a few weeks before they would be able to reopen the store. That is, if the construction went on schedule and their inventory replenished. The broken window had been boarded up, but there was a lot to clean up. They also had to get a complete list of destroyed and damaged inventory. He looked down at Leslie and smiled, reminding himself how lucky he was. He remembered his personal vow of not getting serious with a woman ever again, remembering how sad and upset he was at the time. It was not worth it, he knew that now. It was not worth the loneliness, the pain, and the frustration of fighting his feelings for Leslie.

He now wished he had not wasted the last year fighting the truth. But it was only a year in his young life, not a long time when you really thought about it in the grand scheme of life. Still, he regretted it, not only for himself, but for Leslie as well. In his mind, she deserved the happiness more than he. She did nothing wrong, yet Charles was taken from her. With his own failed marriages, he was as much at fault as were his two ex-wives. Jason sighed heavily at the memories causing Leslie to stir, then wake slowly.

"I must have dozed," she said as she sat up. "Sorry about that."

"No problem," he replied. "I enjoyed holding you."

"I'm just so tired," she complained.

"Me too," Jason admitted. He stood slowly. "I think I should go so we can get to bed. It's going to be a long day tomorrow."

Leslie stood up with him and took his hand. "I wish you could stay. I think I could fall asleep against you all night long." She managed a weak smile. "I have an extra room," she said shyly.

"No, no," he laughed. "I've already had too many surprises today. If I stayed here, we wouldn't get any sleep even in separate rooms. Besides, we have a lot to do tomorrow."

"You're right," Leslie agreed. She knew she would not sleep with him in her house. It was wishful thinking on her part.

She walked him out the door and to his car. The wind was still blustery and breezy and a hint of rain permeated the air. Leslie tilted her head and sniffed, wrinkling her nose at the unpleasant memories of the day. She did not know if she could enjoy rain storms anymore, not after what happened. And that thought did not please her in the least.

When they got to his car, Jason drew her close and kissed her. Leslie's knees went weak as his kiss melted her as it had done throughout the evening.

"Keep doing that and I won't let you go home," she said when pulled back.

"It's a good thing I stopped," he replied. Sighing heavily, he said, "I better get going." He reached for the door handle.

Leslie moved forward and hugged him once more, hoping it would last her until the next morning. Reluctantly, she let him go and watched as he got into his car.

"Don't worry about what time you get to the store," she told him before he started the car.

"What time are you going to be there?" he asked.

"Oh, eight or nine."

"I'll be there, then."

"You don't have to."

"I want to, so don't argue with me."

"I wouldn't dream of it," she replied, grinning. She wanted him there. She needed for him to be with her.

"Good," he replied as he started his car.

"Be careful driving home. There might still be debris on the road," she cautioned, leaning into his open window.

"I will," he answered. He had already made a mental note of it before she said anything.

"You know I'm going to miss you until I see you," she said, trying once more to keep her emotions in check.

Jason smiled. "I'll miss you, too, but if I don't get going, I'll never get home."

"I'll let you go," Leslie grinned, patting his arm. "See you tomorrow."

"See you."

He placed the car in gear and slowly drove off. Leslie waved at him and watched until his tail lights dimmed, then disappeared altogether. Her head down, she slowly walked back to her house and shut the door behind her. She missed him already.

Before she went to bed, she took a long bath, lounging in the warm water until her muscles were totally relaxed. After she was finished, she crawled into bed and buried herself under the covers, something she and Charles loved to do after a shower together. It usually led to a long love making session for them and Leslie missed that terribly. She looked at their wedding picture on the stand to her right. They had been such a happy couple that day. Who knew it would only last four short years. Sometimes when she was down, she would talk to Charles in the picture, hoping he could give her answers to her troubles, but she was not unhappy this night. She put her fingers to her lips and pressed them against his face.