Angels and Guardians Pt. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
photodad
photodad
492 Followers

"Nice! Cindy is great."

"She's awesome. I hope Joe finds a way to keep her around. Oh! Speaking of awesome...Just before Ashley went to shower, she got invited to headline at The Shack."

"What?! No way! That's awesome! Give me details."

"I don't know any. She went in the bathroom right after hanging up with the manager there. Oh! She's coming out now. You want to talk to her?"

"Please! Been great talking with you. See you tomorrow?"

"Yeah. You too. Jill and I plan on being here when you get in. See you then." Jasmine put the phone on the desk and told Ashley that it was Kim. Ashley picked it up and told Kim she'd be right back, since she wanted to put something on. Jasmine went through the door to take her shower.

"Okay, I'm back," Ashley said after donning a sweater and fresh jeans.

"So, you and Jasmine, huh?"

"Hmph. You gonna be jealous now? You haven't even gotten here, yet."

"Yeah, I'm jealous that I missed it. Didn't mean anything by the comment. So where's Joe? I'd have thought he'd be hanging all over you right now after getting a taste of fun."

"Jasmine told you about that, too. Huh. I don't know. He's been weird today, wanting to be alone for the most part."

"Did you want to talk about it, Ashley?"

"Not really. I'm sure it's because of the will reading earlier. Did Jasmine tell you about that?"

"Yeah. She said that they said some really nice things in the letter."

"They sure did."

"So, what's this about The Shack?"

Ashley gave a slight laugh. "It was weird. The phone rang and it was one of the managers asking if I'd fill in for a band that fell through."

"So you're doing it, right?"

"Yeah, I told him I would. He said he would round up a local band for accompaniment. I'm starting to have second thoughts, though. In the shower, I almost threw up from nerves. I mean, am I really good enough to be a main attraction?"

"You're better than what I hear on the radio. Do you have fun when you're up there on stage?"

"Of course! It's a total blast. But, I didn't have to carry an entire concert, either." Ashley let out a muffled groan.

Kim heard the groan and got concerned. "You okay, Ashley? I'd ask if Jasmine was teasing you, but that groan didn't sound pleasant at all."

"Ugh. Just a bad cramp. I think my monthly visitor is banging at the door."

"Cramps, nausea...you're not pregnant, are you?"

"Yikes! Way to not jump to conclusions, Kim! No, I'm still on the pill. Besides, I used a test to be sure when I got back from Denver, because I started feeling pangs up there. I don't know. Maybe bad PMS or something."

"Well, if it keeps up, see a doctor or something."

"Yes, Mom...I mean Kim," Ashley snickered into the phone. "So, where are you?"

"Tennessee. I'm planning on leaving somewhat early so I can be there early in the afternoon."

"Great! I can't wait 'til you're here."

"Me too, babe. Well, I'm gonna chill for a bit, then zonk out. I'll see you soon."

"Drive safe."

"Will do. Bye."

Ashley sat at her desk, thinking. A little about the recent discomfort that rears its head from time to time. A bit about Joe seemingly willing to toss aside a massive fortune and keep to himself this afternoon. And, quite a bit about Jill's quiet attitude and wish for solitude. In the end, she chalked it all up to the large amount of stress heaped on them the last several weeks.

Later that evening after Jasmine left Joe and Ashley to have dinner by themselves, Ashley decided to break the silence between them. "What's going on, Joe?" she asked.

It broke him out of deep thought. "Huh?"

"Huh?!" she mocked. "Joe, I'm a patient girl, you know. But, damn, if I can help you with something, say so."

"You did this afternoon. Boy did you."

"Well, thanks. I'm happy you liked it. But, that's not what I meant."

"What do you mean, then?" he asked sharply, dropping his fork noisily on his plate.

Ashley flinched at the display, but wouldn't back down. "You hid in your room all afternoon, except for walking in on me and Jasmine. I know you didn't work on schoolwork, you're faster than that. What were you doing?"

His nostrils flared slightly as he readied for a fight. Then, it seemed as though he actually saw who was across the table scolding him. Joe's heart softened. "I'm sorry, Ashley," he sighed. "I feel lost. It's so weird being here the last couple of days and knowing that they're never coming home. I don't know what to do. It's like I don't have my guidelight."

"Then focus on me. I'm still here, and I'd like to think I'm somewhat of a good catch. However, I can't help if you don't let me."

"You are a great catch! I'm happy you're here, and I'm happy you're WITH me. I just want a normal life for once. I'd really like one that includes you."

Ashley came around the table and sat in his lap, placing her arm around his neck. "It'll include me as long as you'll have me, to whatever end. Besides, this IS life! What about it makes it abnormal to you?"

"Just look around," Joe said, twirling his finger in the air. "The house, the money...the aircraft. I don't really like any of it. I never have. What about all this is normal to you?"

"I'd like to think of 'us' as normal," she said quietly. Ashley touched her head to Joe's. "Give up the company, if you want. In fact, I think you should. It's too much competition for the future you're working on. Don't get me wrong, the money is nice. Being able to go anywhere, anytime, and do any thing we...you want to would be fantastic. But, none of it matters if you're not happy. I'd like to see you keep this beautiful house and SOME money to keep comfortable. But even if you had to live on the street, I'd scrap along beside you."

Joe kissed her for a length of time, giving and receiving short, gentle pecks, and punctuated the affection by saying, "I love you, Ash."

Ashley gave him one more smooch and answered, "I love you, too."

"So, will you go with me to Denver next Friday?"

"Wait, what?! Why are you going to Denver?"

"That's why I came in your room earlier. I was going to ask you to come with me, but I kinda got distracted by Jasmine being naked and you going to town on yourself." He stopped talking as he visualized the memory.

Ashley saw the glazed look. "So, Jasmine distracted you, huh? You still didn't answer my question. Why are you going to Denver?"

"Yeah, she did. Well, you did more...with your hand down your pants...Oh my God."

Ashley felt him get excited beneath her. She wiggled a bit against him, but said, "That's nice, Joe...but focus for a bit."

"Alright, alright. Cindy called me to let me know the generals had called this morning to set up a meeting next Saturday. I gotta go to pitch that...uh...thing to them. I thought maybe we could take some time afterward to have some fun and see the city without worrying about where we need to be next."

Ashley shook her head. "I can't."

"Why not?"

"I thought you knew...or at least heard me talking to Kim about it."

"No..."

"Right after you went in the shower, I got called to perform at a concert at The Shack. I was hoping you would help me with it."

"You've done well on your own. I wish I could be there, though."

"No...this is different. They asked me to BE the concert."

"WOW...That's great, honey."

"Yeah, well, I'm flattered that they think I can do this. I just wish you could be there, too."

"So much for normal," Joe said.

"Eh. Maybe this is 'us' normal," Ashley giggled. "My heart will be with you, at least."

"Ditto," he said as he kissed her mouth, cradling her head with his hand.

Chapter 25

Jasmine's dad brought her over to the house at 6 the next morning on her request. She was determined to keep herself and Joe in shape. She went into Joe's room and found Ashley in his arms, both of them sound asleep. Jasmine decided on a gentle approach to wake them this morning, standing next to his bed and saying softly, "guys, wake up. Come on, wake up guys."

Ashley rolled onto her back in Joe's arms, reached down and patted his hip. "Sweetie, Jazz wants us to get up."

He opened his eyes and petted his girlfriend's opposite shoulder. "Tell her to go away, hmm?"

Ashley grinned at Jasmine. "He says to go away."

Jasmine smiled and shook her head. She placed a knee on the bed and leaned down to give Ashley an open-mouthed kiss. Then, she moved to her ear, whispering, "I know you're trapped in his arms, but if you don't help me get him up, I'm gonna rip these covers off."

Ashley said defiantly, "go ahead. We're both dressed and nothing happened last night. You can't embarrass us."

Jasmine stood up and grabbed the bucket she put down on the floor when she came in. She swirled it, allowing Ashley to hear it rattle. "I didn't say I was gonna catch you at anything. But, I guarantee that this ice water will get you both out of bed."

"You wouldn't."

Jasmine grabbed the sheet edge and pulled it down to reveal that Ashley spoke the truth, as she was in a sweatshirt. "I so would." She started tipping the bucket.

Ashley's eyes went wide. "Joe, Joe...get up darlin'." She squirmed to free herself from his built arm. "Get up! At least let me get up!" Ashley twisted loose from his arms and landed on her feet next to Jasmine.

Joe's empty arms roused him and he opened his eyes to see the first few cold drops escape the lip of the metal ice bucket. "Alright! Alright! I'm up!" he exclaimed as he clamored free of his covers and jumped to his feet across the bed from the two girls. "What the hell, Jasmine?!"

"Let's go running!" Jasmine said excitedly as she put the sweating bucket on his dresser.

Ashley shifted the waistband of her sweatpants around, correcting its position from her twisting out of bed seconds ago. "Why on earth do you want to run? The season is over."

"It's nice out. Besides, you don't want to go soft for the holidays, do you?" She finished by swatting her friends backside who's shape still showed prettily through the baggy material.

Joe was fully awake now and pulled a sweatshirt over the t-shirt he was already wearing. As he grabbed his running shoes he said, "it'll be fun, Ash. Come with us!"

Ashley grumbled under her breath as she headed to the bathroom. She finished her duties and got her socks and shoes on while Joe took his turn. She met Jasmine downstairs and the two paired up to do some stretches outside as they waited for Joe. He appeared just as Jasmine started showing off on the lawn, doing a short tumbling routine. Ashley wasn't about to be outdone, telling Jasmine to stay where she was and to ready herself. Jasmine seemed to brace a bit forward as Ashley started her run. At speed, she performed several handsprings, followed by a backflip just in front of Jasmine, landing in a sitting position on her friend's shoulders thrusting her fists up in a familiar victory pose. Joe clapped as he approached. Ashley threw herself backward in a somersault off Jasmine's shoulders, landing neatly on her feet and clapping her hands together twice as a result of habit in cheerleading.

"I guess you're awake, now," grinned Joe.

She pranced up to him and gave him a peck. "Oh you just hush!"

Jasmine jogged past them saying, "Let's go." She paused at the box and hit the button to open the gate.

The three formed up and ran through the neighborhoods in the area. Once off Joe's street, Ashley noticed that other streets had nice houses as well, but not in the same class as the 12 neighbors of Joe. The group chatted as they ran, not saying anything monumental, commenting on the unseasonably warm weather and other nonsense. The circuit that Jasmine led them on took 45 minutes to complete before they ended up in front of his garage.

Ashley was surprised when Jasmine headed to the small door, but followed Joe as he entered behind the brunette. She gasped when she saw the equipment room. Jasmine taught Ashley her workout routine, explaining what each exercise helped on her body. When their routines were over, they both spotted Joe when he lifted the large weights for his bench press. He had removed the sweatshirt after the run, and Ashley started perspiring when she watched his well formed muscles bulge under the stress. Both girls grabbed the bar and guided it to the rests when he finished.

Ashley added the plates plus the bar in her head and said, "so if you two work out together, and if Joe, God forbid, gives out, how do you plan to lift 200 pounds off him?"

Joe answered, "Today I had both of you here. Usually when it's just she and I, I work out with 150."

"Well, whatever. I'd rather see you do that on the machine, where you can get out from under it."

"Eh, you worry too much," he said as he got up and gave her a hug.

She crinkled her nose at Joe and said, "and you smell. Are we done now?"

Jasmine and Joe nodded and they went inside. Joe used his shower, and Jasmine and Ashley used the master bath's shower that was his parents'. They expected Jill to come pick them up for church, but when she didn't show, Joe pulled out the conversion van and they took that instead. On the way to church, Jasmine texted Jill to see if she was coming, but some time passed before Jill replied simply, "I'm busy." Ashley contemplated during the boring parts of Mass why Jill had gotten distant the last few days. She came up with the obvious reasoning that Jill was still grieving. But, Ashley wouldn't settle on that answer. So around and around she played things in her head, coming to a temporary conclusion that she would talk to Jill when she came over to greet Kim back "home."

Ashley retrieved her phone from the waistband of her long skirt while they rode to brunch. She typed out "Heading to brunch. You coming?" and sent it to Jill. There was no reply by the time they got to the restaurant. The mood at their table was a bit melancholy, even though no one mentioned anything that would set things this way. It was just a general feeling of something missing.

In the van on the way back to the house, Ashley sent another text to Jill asking her when she was coming over. It, too went unanswered. They arrived at the house and Ashley bounded up the stairs to her room, retrieving her keys and small purse. She came back out of her room and almost ran smack into Joe on the balcony overlooking the den. Ashley asked him where Jill lived and he told her. Then, he asked why she wanted to know. She said she was going over to check on her as she pushed past him. On the way out the side door, she heard Jasmine call out somewhat angrily, "Great! Now who's gonna help me finish cleaning the house?!" Ashley ignored her as she shut the door and drove her car through the gate.

Ashley pulled up to the house she was instructed and thought to herself how odd it was that such a pretty girl as Jill could come from such an ugly place. The street didn't quite qualify as a trailer park, but was darn close. She walked up the severely cracked driveway, taking in her surroundings. Most houses had a low chain link fence with over half of them displaying signs in a wide range of disrepair warning visitors to beware of the dog it was holding back. Ashley didn't question the validity of any of the signs, as the neighborhood sounded like a dog shelter. Jill's "lawn" looked freshly mowed, although it was more weeds than lawn. The flower beds looked overgrown from five years ago, and the paint on the house seemed to be trying it's best to escape the wood it covered. She heard two female voices yelling at each other from inside as she ascended the beaten concrete steps. Ashley couldn't find a doorbell button and debated whether to knock after hearing the heated voices. Her resolve to make sure Jill was okay won out and she rapped on the rickety storm door.

A middle aged blonde woman answered the door, her severely outdated house dress hiding what looked to be a slim figure. "What?!" she yelled through the glass of the storm door.

Ashley could see into the room behind the woman and it was bad. Trash littered the hallway, various bags and other seemingly unused items combined to create a small obstacle course. She cowered slightly, but held her position. "I came to see Jill."

The woman turned and screamed, "Jill, you tramp! Some call girl's here for you!" She stomped through the maze, kicking aside some laundry as she disappeared in disgust.

Jill peeked around a corner from a room that Ashley discerned to be a kitchen. On seeing her friend, Jill moved quickly in sweats and socks for the door. She closed it partially, peeking around the edge. "Ashley, what are you doing here?" she asked, her face reddening from embarrassment.

"Um, are you okay?" Ashley asked, trying to collect herself from the rudeness that the previous woman presented her with.

"Yeah, fine. What'd you need?" Jill said at a quick clip.

"What's going on? I wanted to see when you were coming over to see Kim."

"Nothing's going on. You should have called."

"I did, twice! Now I come up here to check on you, I hear yelling, and you practically shut the door in my face. I can see that your eyes are red, so forgive me for asking, what is going on?"

"I told you this morning, I'm busy."

"Doing what? Can't we talk without this silly door being between us?"

"Ash, just please go."

"Jill, just let me in. I want to see your room...and talk."

"No! You can't see this place...my room. It's a mess."

Ashley lowered her voice so only Jill could hear. "The house, or your room is a mess?"

"Both...neither. Ugh. I'll talk to you tomorrow at school, ok?" Jill started to close the door completely.

Ashley was desperate and said a little louder than she meant to, "I think I'm pregnant."

The door jarred back open. Jill's eyes were wide when she said, "You what?"

"I think I'm pregnant. Can we talk? Please?"

Jill opened the door a bit wider and said, "Alright, come in...but if you so much as breathe a word of what you see, I swear to Christ I'll kill you."

Ashley nodded, opened the storm door and stepped inside. Jill scratched her head in frustration as she kicked piles to the side, trying to make room for Ashley to walk through unhindered. Ashley placed her hand on her back and told Jill to just lead her to her room. The woman yelled from her beat up chair in the living room, "I said no parties! I don't want no pimp stuff going on!"

Jill yelled over her shoulder, "Shut the fuck up, MOM! Ashley's a friend who's in trouble! We're going to my room to talk!"

Jill closed her door after they made it to her room and Ashley heard Jill's mom yell, "Keep those clothes on!"

Jill closed her eyes and leaned against the door, tears squeezing out from under her lids. "Oh my God, I'm so embarrassed!"

Ashley hugged her and asked quietly, "what the hell was that all about?"

Jill sighed and returned the hug, clinging tight. "She went drinking last night, and apparently is pissed that she didn't get laid. So, she just yells at me for no reason."

"There's more to that than you're saying, I can tell."

Jill shrugged. "Maybe, maybe not." She motioned for Ashley to sit on her bed. "What's going on with you? Why do you think you're pregnant?"

Ashley sat on the made up bed and looked around. Jill's room was a far cry from the rest of the house. The walls were nicely painted a soft pale pink, small trinket shelves hung here and there, displaying Jill's apparent penchant for carousel horse figurines. The carpet was old, but clean, and everything in the room was picked up and in it's place. "Your room's not a mess," Ashley commented.

"No, it's not. Don't stall." Jill was fidgeting, obviously uncomfortable with Ashley being there.

"I'm not pregnant. I know I'm not. I just said that to get you to talk to me. Now, tell me what's going on."

Jill's eyes flashed of anger. "Damn it, Ashley! You cry wolf to get me to let you in, and now you've seen this mess and my mom in her state. That's not cool. Not at all!"

photodad
photodad
492 Followers