Aquata Cove Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That's probably because merfolk only find Fish Knives. This kind of knife is for camping in the woods, it needs to be sturdy..." Adam said as he sheathed the knife.

"Most of the time, we carve bones and tie ray barbs or teeth into them." Merrick said. Adam turned the knife around in his hand, and looked back at Merrick.

"I bought this last week. It's one of the Waterproof models," With a smile, he held the sheath, and offered the handle to Merrick, "Why don't you hold on to it? I'm sure you'll find it useful."

"Really, Adam???" Merrick said as he took the handle.

"Sure, I can get another one. Just be careful with it, it's very sharp." Merrick smiled as he looked at the gleaming metal.

===

"Here," Merrick said as he offered the handle of the knife to the Amnien merman, "Why don't you hold on to it? It's no spear, but it will help." The otter looked with surprised as his thick, webbed paws took the handle. Merrick showed him how to pop the button to open it, and pull the sharp, metal blade out of the small scabbard. He looked in awe in the strangely shaped weapon.

"I never seen anything like this... Where did you get it?" Merrick hesitated.

"I... I found it. I cannot say where." The otter nodded before he set the knife aside, and hugged Merrick, nuzzling his slick, scaled skin. Merrick hugged back, running his webbed hands over the short layer of fuzz, "Rest here before swimming anywhere. If you use too much energy right now, you won't last."

The Amnien merman looked up with eyes full of gratitude, "But... Why?" Merrick rose a brow at him.

"I'm sorry?"

"Why are you helping me? Your Triton was so angry at me... No one else would help me... Why did you risk so-" The shell on Merrick's necklace vibrated and glowed. The hug broke as he felt his shell shard.

"I'm out of time. They know I've been away for too long," Merrick said as he picked up his trident, and rubbed the otter merman's shoulder, "Stay safe, use ANYTHING you think can be of help, and travel light. Good luck, Arnaav. May the Sea Mother Atargatis and the Amnien Guardian Charybdis protect you," He gave one last hug with his free arm.

"Thank you, A-Adra Merrick. I won't forget you..." The emotional meryin said as he hugged Merrick again. And with that, the Piscien Adra swam swiftly away, waving his tail up and down and swiftly looming through.

Merrick quickly moved through, focusing his energy on his tail to carry him as swift as possible; Arnaav was a bit of a distance to go. He couldn't just leave that young otter to die like that. How can anyone be made a Coshiton at such young an age? For a crime he didn't even know he was committing... It's... It's just not fair.

Merrick swam until he saw a sudden flurry of white. He writhed abruptly as he attempted to stop as soon as he could. He turned and scrambled to see the wavering, shimmering mermaid, looking down at him.

"M-Mother...!" He gulped at he looked up at her, as she looked down with a face of indifferent sternness, "I-I-I was just hunting in the trench... There wasn't much game," He said as he held up the one squid he had.

"Aiding the rogue, are we?" She asked. Merrick looked down, and put a hand on his arm.

"I couldn't just... He's almost as young as Savarna, he was going to die, he's so-" Umiato laughed softly. Merrick looked up with surprise as she floated to him, and put her pearly hands onto his shoulders.

"Compassion for all, my Son," She said as she put a hand on Merrick's cheek, "Is a rare and precious gift that eludes most of anyone." Merrick smiled happily at her, and hugged his mother. She embraced him back, and muttered low, "I will not inform HIM if you will not." He nodded before they then swam in the same direction. After a while, Merrick remembered something his father said that confused him.

"Mother... I want to ask something..." The graceful Noita looked to her side at her offspring.

"Yes?"

"When Father... Turned down the Coshiton... He told him to pray that the Capricorn does not find him. Who or what is a Capricorn?"

The mermaid nodded, and wavered her hand, illuminating a small bundle of light and bubbles into forming a half-goat half-fish symbol.

"The Capricorns are among the most ancient and benevolent creatures of the sea. They are very rare this era, and can never be found by those who look for them. They only appear when a merperson has lost their way. It is said that a Capricorn will come to a lost merperson, and guide them to haven.

"However... According to legend, when a Capricorn finds a Coshiton, they guide them to a peaceful, calm demise," Merrick frowned as the light and bubbles dissipated, "Granting them the gift of mercy from a lone, dangerous life in the ocean." Merrick looked downward for a moment.

What happened with Arnaav... He's so young... And he didn't even know what he was doing was wrong... "Mother... Is there no way we can-"

"I am sorry, my Son," Umiato said, "Even if he was a Piscien merman, we cannot take him in. It is the law of the sea."

"... Mother... What happens if a merperson breaks a law without knowing it? Surely a second chance could be given..." The Noita closed her eyes, and shook her head.

"I wish that is how the way it is. However, a law is still a law, and a single violation of such is absolute." Umiato said as she stopped swimming. Merrick noticed his mother ceased her movement, before turning around, and coming up to her.

"Listen well, my Son," Umiato said solemnly, looking directly into his eyes, "The Second Chance of breaking a Sacred Law is given ONLY to that of the Triton, Noita, and Adra. You are privileged with a fragile immunity that no other common merperson possesses. Do not, take this for granted, my Son," The mermaid then loomed in, and embraced Merrick, who hugged her back, "It would deeply wound my soul to lose you, my Adra Triton. The same of your sister, my Adra Noita..."

As they hugged, Merrick felt a purge of guilt in his stomach, yet keeping his face solace with pity for the Amnien; it is very hard to fool a Noita, and one change of expression can lead her to suspect his secret.

"Come," Umiato said as she gave a smile, and lofted away from the spot. Merrick turned, looking back at the direction he was swimming from.

"Arnaav..." He muttered, "..." He then softly took his shell slice, and closed his eyes.

'... O Wise and Shining Sea Mother, Atargatis...' He prayed, 'Hear my soul and resonance of my heart... Watch over my friend, Arnaav... Please ease him of the cruelty of solitude and rejection... May your love and compassion ever rain upon all of the Piscien, Amnien, and Holsien...'

Merrick reopened his eyes, turned about, and swam forth, moving to catch up with his mother.

Arnaav sat there, curled up on the reef, resting as Merrick suggested. His tummy is full, after so long; after banishment, he thought he would never taste food again. And the tool and line that Adra Triton gave to him is more than he can ever ask for...

He wants to live, and with these gifts, he may have a shot... But... Why? He's all alone... He has no one, and so long as this mark brands his chest, he never will have anyone again. What meaning is there to live but never have a friend at his side? Adra Merrick may have fed him out of the goodness of his heart, and stopped the agony in his gut, but really, it has only prolonged his loneliness. If this is what it means to be Coshiton... Alone, cast away, hated by all who see him... Maybe the Capricorn should take him away... Deliver him to the other side...

Arnaav looked out into the open ocean, sensing a familiar, mystical presence approach him. Sure enough, it is the ancient creature of ram and fish. Its skin and scales gleamed with its very existence, coming near the otter Amnien, being welcomed this time. Arnaav picked up the sheathed knife, and put the handle through the gap of the line reel; if he is to die now, he will not leave behind the Adra's generosity - he will keep these tokens through the next life.

The otter looked as the Capricorn came up to the young merman, "... I'm ready..." He said sadly. Holding his only two possessions, Arnaav floated over to the Capricorn, and placed himself onto the creature's back, and putting his arms around it's firm neck.

The Capricorn then turned back around, and gently swam into the sea, carrying the banished Amnien merman to whatever fate will decree.

12