August: A Ghost Story

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Anitole
Anitole
269 Followers

Frank ran a hand through his hair. It was longer now. He'd stopped having haircuts after quitting the school at semester break. "I'm racking my brain. What good news do we have?"

I smiled. "You remember that time, back in college, when you asked me that really important question?"

He looked puzzled, "Which important question?"

"We were eating Chinese food and you made a crack about Desi Arnaz?"

His smile faded a bit. "Uh, yeah, I remember. Didn't go too smoothly as I recall."

I nodded and shrugged, putting my arms around his waist. "Well, I think I've enjoyed widowhood long enough, don't you?"

"Certainly have enjoyed the inheritance," he looked over his shoulder at the house. It looked pristine nestled in its well-manicured gardens and done up in a fresh coat of white paint. Maggie and Jake were lying under a tree in the orchard. She had a book out and was reading, he had his head across her lap and was looking up through the freshly budded blossoms of the pear tree. "Nice of her mother to let her stay longer than just the weekend, huh?"

I leaned in and whispered. "Nice of her old man to let her have her boyfriend over, too, don't you think?"

Frank looked at me sideways. "Old man?"

I let out a little laugh and ran my fingers through his hair. "The gray shows more when you let it grow out long like this. Makes you look distinguished." I nuzzled in close, hugging him. "You got a problem with being distinguished, Francis?"

"Don't call me that, please."

I smiled up at him. "Francis Albert Collins," I repeated it. "Such a nice name, it's a shame you turned out to be such a bad boy."

"Bad boy? How am I bad?"

I shrugged. "I don't know, Frank. You're not good, though. In fact, I never want you to be good. If you're ever a good guy, I'll stop loving you on the spot."

I felt his hand at the back of my neck, messaging gently. "Say that again?"

"I said it you ever become a good guy I'll stop loving you."

He smiled. "Like you could do that?"

I punched him, lightly in the shoulder. He caught my hand and pulled me in close.

"Since everyone in town knew Maggie had been sneaking out here, best to put the dirty rumors to rest. Best way to do that is by letting Jake have his bragging rights."

"What makes you think he's the type to brag?"

Frank shrugged. "I can still disapprove, can't I?"

"Yes, you can."

He leaned down and our lips met softly for a brief kiss. As he pulled away I let my eyes go back to Jake and Maggie.

"What are you thinking?" he said, following my gaze.

"After everyone in town found out about you and me, it seemed so easy to add the little extra scandal of her being your spawn." I looked around at him. "Do you think Evelyn will get over the divorce?"

He shrugged. "Oh, sure. You watch, she'll be founding her own church across from his and railing against him in no time. After all, none of it really matters, Lily."

"I know, the people around here just have to have those strange people outside of town to talk about, don't they? Or that vile influence... Or that unholy Rock n' Roll."

He nodded. "If we moved to Wabash or Elm and bought a split-level and went to church on Sundays and listened to light FM, they would all stop talking, but they'd be miserable."

I smiled. "We could move into town after we're married."

He looked down at me, and shook his head. "No way."

"You're right, the two of them would never forgive us."

"Damned right, we wouldn't."

We turned to find George leaning against his headstone, his shirt was uncharacteristically untucked and collarless, half unbuttoned down the front. He picked up a blade of straw from the ground and placed it between his lips, looking at the two of us, with a bit of a satisfied gleam in his devil-blue eyes.

"Where's your better half?" I smirked.

George smiled, running one of his fingernails along the edge of his headstone, "She's in the nursery, of course."

Frank cocked his head. "Oh? Why is she in there?"

George smiled. "Because she knows."

Frank's smile flickered. "Knows what?"

"She knows why Lily wants to get married all of a sudden." With that, George faded, along with his ear-to-ear sinister smile.

Frank turned to me, his head cocked to one side. "You're on the pill, right?"

I shrugged and pressed my index finger to the tip of his nose. "Stopped taking it eight weeks ago."

His eyes widened, "Lily..."

"So, um, you going to do the right thing and ask me, or what?" I took my arms back and folded them expectantly.

"Have you told your mother?"

I smirked. "I wanted to tell you fist," I said, putting my arms around his neck and nuzzling. "Anyway, she'll get used to the idea."

He shook his head, taking my arms from around his neck and looking me straight in the eye, "You aren't afraid?"

I shrugged. "I've faced scarier things. Ghosts, barn fires, religious fanatics, near-death experiences, a certain writer in residence when he's blocked and there's no work to be done on the car... Incidentally, you're letting me read it before you send it off to your publisher, you know that, right?"

"I'll think about it." He smiled and sank to one knee, "You know this is corny, and unoriginal, right?"

"Yep, that's why it's so poignant to watch you do it."

"I don't have a ring."

"Well go into town and get one tomorrow. Right now, I'd just like to be asked."

He nodded, and took my hand, looking up at me with his blue eyes, they were calm and steady underneath his unruly tendrils of slightly graying brown hair. "Lily, will you marry me?"

I smiled, bending down to kiss him on his nose before turning and walking through the little white gate toward the house.

"Aren't you supposed to answer?" he called.

I turned back and cupped my hands around my mouth and called, "I'll think about it."

THE END

Anitole
Anitole
269 Followers