Beauty Meets her Beast Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
peaches07
peaches07
456 Followers

I left my room hoping to allow extra time before dinner in case I got lost. I followed Mrs. Delvers directions exactly and they did indeed lead me to what appeared to be a dining hall. The enormous table was laid for two, at opposite ends. How lonely to eat here alone every night, I thought. The grandiose hall must make eating alone all the more unbearable. Perhaps that was why his lordship had invited - well, required really - my presence at the table. I suppose eating and making conversation with a gardener is better than another night alone again. I fingered the fine linen napkins at one end, fondly remembering the parties we used to throw in the city, the extravagance we took for granted. The glasses I was sure were cut crystal, a set of two wineglasses and two other glasses were at each end. What kind of banquet was his lordship expecting tonight? I hoped my city dining manners were well remembered enough to not shame me.

"Are you in the habit of touching other people's drinking glasses before a meal?" boomed a voice behind me, and I jumped back, guiltily snatching my hand back from the rim of the glass I'd been admiring.

"I'm so sorry, sir, forgive me, sir!" I turned to face the voice. There was no mistaking his identity from the description I'd been given; the scarred face, the near giant stature, and the scowl all declared him to be Lord August. "I was just admiring it, the workmanship is so fine..." he cut me off with a wave of his hand.

"Yes, yes, enough. So, you are Beauty?"

"Belle," I hastened to correct, and hoped he hadn't been too deceived by the nickname. I was still unclear as to what his full expectations of me were. I dropped into a quick curtsey. "I am at your lordship's pleasure." A wry half grin pulled at one side of his mouth and he in turn dropped me a small bow.

"Welcome then, Belle. I trust you have found your accommodations acceptable?"

"If you please, sir, I fear there must have been some mistake. The rooms I was shown are far too fine for the work I have come to do."

"There was no mistake. The rooms are correct. I live alone you see, Belle, and have no use for a fine room, so there is no reason for you to not be as comfortable as possible during the duration of your stay. If you require anything special Mrs. Delvers will see to it." I grimaced inwardly at the thought of asking that woman for anything, but said nothing. "Won't you be seated?" asked Lord August. "Or are you accustomed to eat standing up?"

"Of course, sir." I hastily sat down, feeling my face flush with red. What a terrible first impression I must be making! Lord August followed suit, and Mrs. Delvers appeared with a jug of wine. She filled Lord August's glass first, then mine. I didn't normally drink wine, not at all since our fortunes changed, but I thought it best not to object. We sat silently after she left, and I wondered if every meal was to be like this now. A servant I had not met yet came in a moment later with our food.

"I hope you weren't expecting a full bevy of courses. The servants set the table as they have been trained to do, but I have not the patience for the elaborate dinners that would match. I find one course perfectly adequate." Privately I was relieved and said it was fine, of course. At least I would not make a fool of myself by screwing up which fork to use. The tray of food was placed before me, and After Lord August began to eat I did too. I couldn't tell you what the food was, it was all dry and tasteless to me, as I wondered what my future here beheld. The wine was very good, and in my nervous state I finished the glass quickly. As if he'd been watching, the servant appeared at my elbow and refilled my glass. His lordship hadn't said a word since we started eating, and he merely observed as the second glass of wine disappeared nearly as quickly as the first one. I began to feel heady and light-headed, but also worked up the courage to ask my new employer - or host - a question.

"I was wondering, sir, what exactly my duties might be here? To cover my Father's debt?" the wine emboldened me to look up and make eye contact with him. "I have some experience working with plants, but not roses."

"You will learn." Lord August stood and walked around to my side of the table. He offered me a hand to help me up from my chair, correctly assuming I was done eating. I accepted his hand and rose, my crimson skirts falling to the floor. His eyes followed their trail. "I see you are a bit shorter than her ladyship was." So these were his wife's gowns! "She did have excellent taste." His eyes looked pained and I felt sad for him for a moment, for his loss. "I will escort you to your room." He placed my hand in the crook of his arm, which was nearly level with my shoulder, so great of a man was he, and we left the dining room.

"So it will just be plants, then? No... other duties?" The wine had loosened my tongue. Lord August stopped in his tracks.

"Other duties?" He growled. "What other duties do mean?" He turned to face me, and I nervously backed away. "What other duties?" he persisted.

"I just... sometimes you hear of girls being taken in and forced to do... things" I stammered. I backed away further, until I felt the cool stone of the wall on my back.

"So, this is what you think of me. That I need to force a peasant to give me his daughter to sate my carnal demands?" He stepped toward me and I cowered into the wall. "If that was my desire I could find any number of willing girls who would eagerly spread their legs for me in hopes of earning a trinket or even those foolish enough to think I would debase myself by marrying them." His fist pounded the wall above my head and I flinched. "I merely wanted companionship. If I wanted you, I would have had you by now. You have no status, there is no need to wine and dine you." He grabbed my shoulder roughly, his fingers digging into my flesh. "If I wanted you, you wouldn't be able to offer me any resistance." His fingers slipped from my shoulder, grabbed the fabric of dress, and tore. The modest neckline was stripped away, and the tops of my bosom, spilling out from the corset-like undergarment I had found, were on display. I gasped and made to cover myself but his hands grabbed my wrists, pinning them to the wall. He held them above my head with one hand, while the other reached out and cupped my breast. Wordless, I gasped again. "Hmm, perhaps I should reconsider." His thumb rubbed across my nipple through the thick fabric and sent an unwanted tingle down my spine.

"Please." I begged. "Please, no" His hand froze. The leer on his scarred face slowly reformed itself into a look of horror, and he drew back from me, his expression one of shock.

"Apologies. I am not myself tonight." He turned and fled, leaving me exposed and frightened against the wall. My hands shook as I tried to cover myself with the scraps of fabric that were all that remained of the neckline of the ruined dress. I didn't know whether to cry or to laugh with relief. Another part of me, something new, was sorry things hadn't gone further. Deep inside there was a new aching, empty feeling. I brushed that thought aside, and slowly made my way down the hall to my room. To my immense relief the door had a lock. It didn't seem to be a very sturdy one, just a simple hook and eye latch, but it was enough to help put my mind at ease.

Mrs. Delvers or another servant had been busy in my room, and there was a hot bath waiting for me. Hands still shaking, I stripped off the crimson gown, balled it up, and threw it in the corner, as if it was the dress itself that had betrayed me, and not Lord August. I removed the undergarments and climbed into the steaming bath, and for the first time since learning of my fate, I cried.

peaches07
peaches07
456 Followers
12