Best Served Cold

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

xxx

Every time Stephen checked his e-mail in the days after the conference, he hoped he would find a note from Ann. Nothing. Of course he could have e-mailed her (he had acquired her e-mail address from the conference organisers), but no, the contact had to come from her. Then, a couple of weeks later, he was putting together a presentation when Outlook pinged, and the box on the bottom left of his screen told him he had an email from "Finch, Ann". Stephen read it three times, each time increasing his confusion.

What the hell is this about? She said how much she'd enjoyed his talk, and meeting him. She asked him about something they'd discussed at length, and they'd agreed on. She said she very much hoped she'd get to hear him speak again soon. The whole thing was odd -- friendly, but formal. She knew he'd remember the conversation, they'd even laughed about it over breakfast. This is a code, she's just saying "Hi, and I haven't forgotten you". It all added fuel to Stephen's suspicions about Ann and David Fucking Finch.

Twenty-four hours later, almost to the minute, another e-mail arrived. Stephen almost ignored it. Almost ignored the mail that would change his life. It wasn't from Ann, but someone whose name he didn't recognise, which was why he'd almost ignored it. But the thing that had reprieved the e-mail from the ignominy of his "Deleted Items" folder was the title: Reminder: Class of '92 Reunion.

He vaguely recalled an e-mail arriving several weeks ago, but at that time he had no desire whatsoever to go back to meet his GCSE classmates. But now... now there was a very good reason to go. Revenge. He was going to go! He was sure David Fucking Finch would be there showing off his gorgeous, long-suffering wife. And he, Stephen, was going to go and take his wife from right under his nose. That kiss had not been faked. He knew she had feelings for him. And the coded e-mail just proved it.

Stephen read the mail, just a few days off. In a few days he would change everything. Revenge. Payback for years of being down-trodden.

xxx

Stephen was deliberately late arriving. He didn't want to be hanging around waiting for Ann (and David Fucking Finch) to arrive. He wanted them to be there. His senses were bombarded with noise from the dancefloor, and smells of perfume and aftershave (some cheap, some very expensive). As for his eyes, well his former classmates had all changed, some recognisable and some definitely not!

Tension grabbed his chest in an ever tightening fist, his mouth was dry. Come on! For the past ten years you've been preaching about standing up to bullies. Now it's your turn it's not so easy is it? Get a bloody grip! He scanned the room for her face -- too many people!

"Hey, Steve isn't it?"

"Hi, yeah. Err ... sorry ..."

"It's Alan, remember? Didn't have a beard when I was sixteen! Great to see you!" And Alan wandered off to surprise someone else.

Stephen looked at the people dancing. No, not there. Then the groups clustered round the bar area. Nope. Not near the food either. He knew it was her although she had her back to him. The group of half a dozen were sitting round a table. Stephen took a deep breath, exhaled, and set off to cover the few metres to meet his nemesis.

David FF was sitting opposite his wife, facing Stephen. He looked up as Stephen approached. A smile, or was it a sneer.

"Hello everyone! Remember me?"

Ann's head jerked round as if someone had yanked a string. Her mouth was an oval. The two other men seated, stood up to shake Stephen's hand. Fucking David Fucking Finch didn't move. Ignorant bastard! Stephen looked into his eyes, and held out his hand.

"Hello David. I ..." and then he saw the wheels, and stopped.

"Hi Steve. I'm really glad you've come. I know you know Ann." He laughed, a genuine laugh of amusement, not a sneer. "Though I can see she had no idea we knew each other."

Stephen knew his face must look a bit like Ann's had a few minutes ago. He was, for the first time in many years, absolutely speechless.

"Come on, Steve, or is it Stephen now? Come on, I'll buy you a drink."

Ann got up, but David shook his head:

"It's okay, Stephen can push me through the crowd. One advantage of being disabled -- people do tend to avoid you."

Stephen didn't need to push, David's upper body was probably a match for anyone else's there that night, and he handled the wheelchair with ease. They got their drinks but instead of going back to the table, David headed outside:

"We need to talk."

The cool air, mixed in with the smell of smoke from the outcast group of smokers, helped Stephen to round up his stampeding thoughts. First things first:

"So, what happened?"

"Rugby scrum collapsed. Everything, and I mean everything, below the waist..." David shook his head. "Gone. Dead. Nothing!"

Stephen shook his head. The number of times he had wished for something like this to happen, and now here it was ...

"Christ, sorry..."

"Don't be. Shit happens. But it's me that should apologise to you. I wish I'd been man enough to do it years ago when I realised what a complete bastard, a real shit, I'd been to you -- and some others, but you were the easiest target. And I am truly sorry. At first I thought this was a judgement on me for not seeking you out to apologise."

"We all do stuff we regret."

"For fuck's sake Steve. I was a complete arsehole. At least give me the satisfaction of hating me a bit!"

Stephen laughed, and nodded:

"Yes. Yes you were. And I hated you more than you can imagine."

"Thanks for that." David held out his hand and Stephen couldn't quite believe the warmth he felt as he took it and shook the hand of his tormentor.

"There's something else though -- Ann"

Stephen sat down on the low wall that surrounded the car park. Their eyes were now level:

"Nothing happened. We met, got on well together." A shrug. "End of."

"She really likes you, you know. She's probably mentioned you a hundred times in the last three weeks. Must admit I was stunned when I realised who the 'Stephen' was."

"David, nothing happened."

"Oh I know that. She is wonderful and I don't deserve her. She'd never, ever do anything to hurt me. But I know her well enough to know that she really likes you and ..."

"Hi. What's going on?"

Both men had been so absorbed by the conversation they hadn't noticed Ann come out. David held out his hand and she took it.

"Good timing, babe. Steve, sorry -- Stephen and I were just talking about you. I was just about to ask him to do me a favour, so to speak. And as it involves you, maybe it's a good thing you're here."

Oh my God! I know what he's going to say! Oh Christ!

David looked into his wife's eyes:

"I know you love me. I know you would never do anything to hurt me. But I know too that you're a young woman. A woman with ... how do you say it politely? A woman with needs that this useless husband can't fulfil."

"David...." Ann cut in, but David held up is hand and kept going.

"I've really been thinking hard about this since you came back from the Conference and mentioned my old schoolmate here. I know you like Stephen and I know that you would never be unfaithful. It's just not in your nature. But you aren't being unfaithful if it's with my permission, and I know about it."

Ann shook her head. Stephen looked at his nemesis. Talk about heaping coals of fire on your enemy's head. Ann and Stephen looked at each other. For the second time in a short space of time, he was speechless.

"Look you two. I'm not assuming you're going to jump into bed tonight. But if you want to, that's cool. Just don't be afraid of seeing each other, and letting whatever happens happen."

Stephen spoke first.

"I, I just don't know what to say."

"I know you like each other. Just get to know each other and you know, if in two years she wants you rather than me, then hey, that's life. Like I said, shit happens. There's more than just MY happiness at stake here. There's Ann's and yours. And I gave you seven years of absolute hell."

David shrugged and smiled:

"Payback time."

12