Betrayal's Hands

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Cor pulled it out and the troll dropped to one knee in the water, his leg not supporting him. He whipped the spear about, cracking the shaft into the side of the troll's head and dazing it. Another thrust, this one into its chest, and the fight was over.

He turned to help Anna and found her still pummeling the troll in the water, though it had long since stopped moving. He tossed the spear into the water and went over and gently grabbed onto her shoulder.

Anna spun more quickly than Cor remembered her being able to. Her hand came up inside of his guard and slashed across his cheek, her nails digging furrows in the skin. He staggered backwards, hands held up defensively.

Anna rose and took a step towards him, then stopped and took a shuddering breath. "Never threaten me again," she said, her eyes dark and deadly.

The look of guilt, surprise, and pain on Corillius' face made her look away quickly, hugging her arms about herself. In moments she was shaking and silently sobbing.

"Anna, it's okay... you saved me," Corillius said to her soothingly.

She nodded, then began walking up the path again. Cor reached up and felt the blood running down his face. He shook his head and shrugged. It seemed there was hope for her still. If he had to deal with a few scratches along the way, so be it.

"Come, let's get out of here before more show up," he said, searching in the water until he found the sword he had thrown by cutting his leg upon the blade. He also retrieved the other sword from the dead horse and thrust it into the rolled up blankets in the pack he was making to carry the last of their things.

They moved on, traveling as quickly through the swamp as they could. With their first altercation out of the way, nothing else threatened them in the marshes. A few reptilian predators swam close as twilight descended on them many hours later, but they were left alone and finally regained solid ground a few hours before dawn.

Camp was made shortly, and Corillius spent some time examining his wounds. He scrubbed the shallow cut in his leg as best he could, hoping the exposure to the swamp water would not infect it. His shoulder had a great bruise on it, and it was so sore he could not move it fully, but nothing was broken. His back he could not see, but he was able to get Anna to look at it and clean and dress the wound.

She tended to him without speaking, and in fact she had not spoken another word since the swamp. Instead her mind was thinking about the battle. Cor had told her to flee because she was of no use in a fight. It had shamed her but it was true, she was a coward. Then something within her had risen up and fought back in denial. She had lost control of herself, and only knew a great rage and hatred within her. Such intense feelings were stronger than any the previously temperamental woman had ever known, and they frightened her. At the same time they also soothed her. Anna longed for their return because when she had felt like that, she had known no pity, no fear, and no weakness. She could live like that, she thought, at least until something stronger ended her misery.

They slept shortly thereafter, Cor still taking both watches and only catching a short nap before they made ready and moved on in the morning. They were on the borderlands of their nation now, and within a few hours they spotted a patrol and were in turn spotted by the patrol. They had made it back physically, now Cor just hoped that Anna could make the return voyage mentally and emotionally as well.

Chapter 7

"We're being followed, boss," one of the bandits said.

They had broken camp early the next morning and moved out, Teri being forced to walk on her blistered feet and to move quickly to keep up. The man that had served as a tail scout glanced at Teri, accusation in his eyes. She pretended not to see him, and wondered if her father had followed her.

"How many?" Krev, the half-ogre leader, asked.

"More than I could count, boss!" The scout told him, trying to sound impressive.

Krev barked out a harsh laugh. "You can't count higher than 10, Bernerd!"

Bernerd shrugged and said, "There's more than that. It's her they's after, boss. Cut her up and leave her behind, lets us get away!"

"Get back there, fool," Krev snarled at him. "She's our hostage if we can't fight them off."

Bernerd retreated, shooting another angry glare at her. Krev yanked on the rope around Teri's hands and pulled her stumbling up next to him. "Who are you, my pretty? No tutor brings armed guards in pursuit."

"I was well liked by the children," Teri lied, miserable for her condition. She dared not cry out and let them know where she was, for obviously to do so would earn her punishment from her father, plus return her to a life she dreaded. Not doing so did not fill her with much hope either though, upon looking at the giant that walked beside her.

Krev harrumphed and kept walking. The bandits made good time, knowing the land well, but still the soldiers pursued. It became apparent after most of the day had been spent on the march that they would not lose them, the Kingdom trackers were too good.

"Boys, we fight them," Krev said, calling them to a halt for a short rest.

"Let's split up, boss," big-nose said. "Go our own ways, then we meet up at the caves again when we can. They can't go after us all. They want the girl anyhow!"

"You think they'll be happy to get her back? They'll be after us all then, killing us one at a time. We stand a better chance together than apart. They're no better off than merchant guards."

A few of the men grumbled, but most remained silent. Krev nodded. "Good, it's settled then. Here's what we'll do..."

The big half-ogre outlined a plan of attack for them to use, setting up an easy ambush. He retired to the rear and tied Teri to another tree. "Cry out and someone will be here to cut you down before rescue can be dreamt of," he promised her.

Teri's eyes were wide with fear, but she nodded. "I don't want to go back," she said truthfully.

"You'd rather stay with us?" Krev asked disbelievingly. "Among rapists, killers, thugs, and thieves?"

It took a moment, but Teri nodded again, tears spilling down her cheeks. Krev's brow furrowed as he tried to figure her out. Then he shook his head and said, "Remember what I said!"

He was gone then, disappearing into the woods faster than Teri thought someone of his size would be able to. She waited, alone with only her tree for company, for several long minutes. Distantly through the trees she heard the sounds of battle. A horse whinnied. A man screamed. There were the sounds of bowstrings being loosed and metal striking against metal. She twitched and jumped at each, wondering desperately what was happening and hoping for she knew not which outcome.

The sounds of battle raged for some time, and then they began to die down. Or instead of dying down, they became more scattered. Some crashing through a nearby thicket made her breath freeze in her throat. She hid behind the tree but when the man emerged from the thorns, scratched, bleeding, and cursing, he caught sight of her immediately. It was Sven.

"There you are," he said, spitting with his vehemence. "I'm going to take what's mine from you, bitch!"

He stomped over to her and grabbed her when she tried to circle around the tree. He pulled her out and she bit at him, frantically trying to escape. He cursed and backhanded her across the face, splitting her lip and sending blood and spittle flying.

He grabbed her again now that she was stunned and tore at her dress, trying to yank it off. He had just caught sight of her pearly breasts when he was suddenly lifted off the ground and slammed sidelong into the tree. He hit the ground and looked about, trying to register what had happened to him. He spit out something hard out of his mouth, drooling blood as he did so. It was a tooth.

"I told you she was mine!" Krev said, grabbing hold of one foot in both hands and swinging him around. He crashed into a different tree, doubling over and falling to the ground. There were audible snaps as several of his ribs were shattered.

"Come, we have to go," Krev said to Teri, producing a dagger that might have served as a sword for her and slicing through her rope.

"What of your men?" Teri asked, staring at where Sven lay and wondering if he was dead.

"They're either dead or running. We killed most of the soldiers, but there were too many," He answered her shortly, not in the mood for explanations.

Teri limped and nearly buckled trying to walk upon her tortured feet. Krev frowned and picked her up, tossing her over his shoulder and then setting off in a rapid stride. She looked up behind her and saw Sven's hand clawing at the tree, trying to gain a grip so he could use it to help him pick himself up.

*****

"My Lord, one of them lives, for the moment."

Darleth looked up, seeing a man being brought on a makeshift stretcher. He strode over to the bandit and stared down at him. Blood streaked his face and bubbled at his lips. "Where was he found? He has no wounds upon him," Darleth demanded.

Makan also made his way over and stared down at the wounded man. His face was a mask of anger.

"We found him in the woods, My Lord. Whatever did this to him, it was not one of us," one of the guardsmen said.

"It must have been the giant in charge of them," Darleth said.

"Where did they go?" Makan demanded. "And why do you have this in your hand?"

Sven held a scrap of Teri's dress in her hand that he had torn off. He opened his mouth to speak but only a rattle of congestion came out of it. Make leaned closer and gripped his filthy tunic, pulling the bandit closer to him.

"He is dying, My Lord, his lungs are filling with blood," the soldier said.

"Bring a priest then!" Makan snapped. He turned his head back to Sven and stared into his eyes. "Do you want to live?"

Sven's nodded, tears of pain and fear running from the corners of his eyes.

Darleth stepped up, a feverish light in his eyes. "Will you tell me what I want to know? Everything? And do as I tell you?"

Again Sven nodded. Makan nodded in turn. "Very well, heal him. But know this, if you prove false to me at any time, you owe me your life and I can take it from you with a thought and a gesture!"

Sven's mouth worked and he coughed up some blood. "Caves... go to the caves," he whispered, working hard for each word.

A priest was there then and Makan signaled for him to go to work. The priest called upon the divine power granted to him, focusing the energy and channeling it into Sven's tortured body. In moment's Sven's eyes closed and he rested. His breathing was scarcely any easier, but the longer the priest concentrated the less labored it became. Makan watched for a few minutes, then turned to follow Darleth who had already left in search of news about the defeat of the bandits.

Chapter 8

Anna sat looking out the window of the healer's hall, wondering what the future would hold. A white clad woman came in with a steaming mug which Anna could only imagine contained something noxious. She shot the older woman a dirty look, but drank the contents quickly, returning the mug and moving away.

'The bars on the window ruin the view.' Anna thought to herself.

A cough sounded behind her, and Anna turned to find the healer-woman standing in the doorway. Anna had made it clearly and violently known that she would accept no male healer, and no male had crossed her threshold again.

"There's a man to see you, milady captain." The woman stuttered, "He says you'll see him, says he's family." The woman stood nervously with her hands clasped around the mug.

"Show him in."

Startled, the healer bustled off to let Captain Corillius know that her recalcitrant patient would deign to see him. She knew it was wrong to think ill of someone who had been hurt so badly, but the woman's self-pity was beginning to try her patience.

"The army is eager to see you again. Word had spread of your defiance of the Baron and what you did to try and protect your warriors," Cor said to her back after he entered the room.

"They still died and it only served to get me raped and beaten," Anna said, bitterly. "I learned only the folly of my actions."

"No, damn it, Anna!" Corillius said, very nearly walking over to her and grabbing her by the shoulders. "It proved that you care! Or that you once cared," he added angrily.

"It showed that you would do anything for your people, for our people! It showed that no price was too great. No burden to heavy to bear for you!"

"I was wrong! I thought I knew what I was doing but look at me, just look at me!" She shrieked, turning to stare at him. Trails of tears streamed down her face. Her nails were bitten to the quick and her skin was pale and waxy. It had been only a week but she was obviously letting her health suffer.

"Your soldiers tell the tale of the swamp," Cor said, his tone softening. "Of how you slew a troll with your bare hands. No one has ever done that before, and the tale grows with every telling."

"Your story, not mine," Anna said, turning back to the window.

"Your deed, Anna."

"They should have killed me," Anna muttered.

Cor threw his hands up in the air unseen behind her. He turned and walked to the door. His hand upon it, he stopped and spoke again. "Against the healers' advice, your command is ready for you to resume. If you seek death so badly, then you can at least do it on the field of honor."

Anna's eyes closed and fresh tears ran from them when the door shut harshly behind her. She hung her head and let her forehead rest against the bars, then proceeded to wrap her skull against them increasingly hard until the pain made her dizzy. She backed away and fell to her bed, holding her head in her hands and sobbing.

"Why can't I be me again?" She asked the air around her. The Gods would not answer her.

*****

Three days had passed and Anna had decided to try to rebuild what she could of her life. She walked in her boiled leather cuirass and greaves, with her shield on her back and her short sword at her side. She was in charge of her soldiers again, every one that had survived their capture, plus several fresh ones that were eager to join her ranks. She held no words of wisdom for them, nor did she do anything to gain their love or their trust. Her troops had plenty of it spare, and with the stories of her capture, denial of torture, and then her barehanded assault in the swamp upon something that was twice her size, none was needed.

Now she walked to the prisoner camp and ground her teeth in frustration when a guard saluted her at the entrance. His quick movement snapping to attention had startled her and nearly made her cower.

"Captain Promus, I am honored to be at your service," he said, hand against his breast respectfully.

Anna nodded, "Fetch me a prisoner... please." She nearly cursed at her subservient tone, but the warrior made no notice of it. He disappeared inside the compound for a moment then returned a few moments later and told her that one would be brought along shortly.

A few minutes later the prisoner was led out, his hands and feet in chains. He studied the ground then saw her standing there and sneered.

"What is it with you barbarians trusting women to bear arms? They've no souls, you fools! They'll gut you in your sleep and take what's yours!"

The soldier out front punched the prisoner in the stomach, doubling him over. The man that brought him out kicked him in the rear, driving him to his knees.

"You kneel before the likes of Captain Promus, dog!" The guard growled. "She's better than 10 of your nobles!"

Anna had paled before his cutting remarks, but now that he was on the ground she felt a little better, even if only because he was not staring contemptuously at her.

"Captain, he's all yours," the prisoner's escort said, handing her the rope that was around his neck.

Anna took the rope and studied it, then followed it up to the man's neck. He caught his breath and stared up at her, looking at her angrily. "Do your worst, bitch!"

Anna took a step back, surprised at his animosity. The soldier raised a hand to backhand the prisoner but Anna stopped him. "Hold, warrior, if he thinks himself so mighty, let him prove it."

Inside Anna was quaking. Sweat ran down her sides from the challenge she had issued. The guard laughed at the idea. "Good idea, Captain!" He grabbed the dirty tunic the man wore and hauled him to his feet.

"Come with me, dog, and learn the strength of our women," he said. "You'll be sorry for your impudence, you face Captain Anna Promus, and she killed a troll with her bare hands!"

The man glanced back disbelievingly at Anna. She looked calm, if a bit pale. He looked away as the guard hauled him off to a nearby ring that was designed for stabling horses or livestock. Now it would serve as an arena for the two of them. The prisoner, like the others, had heard tales of Anna, but they all disbelieved that a women could be so brave, so strong, or so capable.

Anna's stomach was churning. She felt her gorge rise at the prospect of fighting, and not just fighting, but fighting a man. She stopped outside the ring and could control herself no longer. She turned and retched into the cold mud, doubling over as the spasms shook her body. The prisoner laughed mockingly at her.

"Captain Promus, are you alright?" The guard said, hurrying over to her.

Anna straightened slowly, deeply ashamed of herself. How was she to ever attempt to regain her sense of self if she got sick at the thought of combat? She knew it was not combat that frightened her; it was the fear of fighting a man.

"I took ill from the swamp water I drowned the troll in," Anna lied. Her voice was rough. She wiped the back or her mouth off on the back of her hand then turned to face the prisoner.

"Do this another day, Captain. If you are ill there is no dishonor..."

"No," Anna snapped. She must do it now. Either she would kill him or he would kill her. If the latter happened, her fight would be over and she would have what she deserved. If she were to win, then she would maybe win a little piece of herself back.

Anna left her sword with the guard, then handed him her shield as well. She stepped into the pen and let them shut the gate behind her. It was a simple fence of wood meant to hold in livestock, but it would at least slow a human trying to climb over or through it.

"Come, pretty lady, and let me show you what a real man is like," the prisoner said, gesturing to her.

Anna held her ground, eyeing him warily. Nervously. He shrugged when she made no move to attack and charged at her, surprising her with his speed and bearing her to the ground with his hands around her throat, clutching and squeezing.

Anna gasped, both in surprise and then for breath. He was heavy and his fetid breath gagged her as much as his grip did. She struggled under him, thinking that she deserved what was happening. The difference was that his attack was not sexual. Without that weapon to use against her, Anna was able to overcome her paralyzing fear and to react.

She wiggled under him, suddenly furious at his arrogance and his assault upon her. Her vision darkened and a red film seemed to cover her eyes. She writhed under him and lashed out, driving her fingers into pressure points in his armpits. He grunted and felt his arms stop responding.

Anna flipped him over then rotated upon him rapidly, showing more than a hint of her legendary speed and flexibility. One leg wrapped behind his head and the other provided a scissor against his neck. She flexed her legs and watched gleefully as his eyes bulged and his tongue stuck out. She flexed once again, twisting this time, and felt his neck snap. His body twitched beneath her, his legs and arms flailing, and she rose.

1...45678...12