Blazing Success

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Ooh I know, then work as a volunteer reporter for the college newspaper. You could interview senior chicks. It would be a great opener."

"Oh yeah. That's huge advice."

"And Danny, gloss over that you are studying engineering. Women might regard engineers as boring guys. Just say you are doing technical studies and leave it at that."

"Oh great."

"And don't be in a hurry to grab a tit. Senior students would regard that as immature. Just wait patiently for the signs."

"Like what?"

"Well perhaps she will begin to cross and uncross her legs a lot or she'll sigh and ask what should you guys do."

"And that's asking for sex?"

"Possibly but at least it means something. And don't say to her what you'd like to do, ask her what she'd like to do. If she is thinking sex she's unlikely to say let's go and see what the girls are doing."

"Jesus Blaze. You have no idea how helpful this is to me."

Blaze laughed and said good luck and goodbye.

Later taking a break from planning, Blaze called Steve who told her excitedly that one of the partners had given him a trading company that was seeking a new external accountant.

"I've been out to meet the principals who are three guys only a few years older than I am. We had a meeting over beers although it was only 1l o'clock and they brought in the old duck who calls herself a bookkeeper and she took me to her office and showed me to what stage she prepared the company accounts. She appears meticulous and I was astonished at the company's huge income. I was hired on retainer and my hourly fee was approved. This means a bit jump in billings for me and will raise my status in our firm."

"That's great darling and I'm so proud of you. Um I'm calling to say my brother Danny wants to stay with me this Friday and Saturday nights. He hasn't been to Chicago before."

"Fine we'll take him out and really show him the city and I'll take him off for some beers."

"Oh great. You are such a nice guy."

"Um so that means we miss out on Friday night sex?"

"Yes I regret so say," Blaze said, holding her breath.

"Then why don't we switch your stay-over to Thursday night. I mean we do adjust when you are having your monthly?"

"Oh brilliant, I hadn't thought of switching," Blaze lied. "You clever man."

On Thursday night Blaze unloaded her misgivings about being totally unsuited to be editor of a new magazine.

Steven listened quietly and then said, "So this editor Rachel and the group editor are stupid, incompetent people who have no idea of what they are doing and are incapable of assessing people for senior roles?"

"No of course not. That's ridiculous. They are... Oh I hear what you are saying."

"Yes, all better now? Remember Rachel is your friend and from what you say is already your mentor. She'll be expecting to support you and the big chief will keep in close contact, not wishing his new magazine to hit uncharted bumps."

"Oh you are so wonderful to me," Blaze cried. "It's not often I require a prop. It's so lovely having you in hand and you know I don't take your for granted."

"God Blaze, you do have a silver tongue."

Rather than reply Blaze smiled and began unbuckling her lover's belt.

The weekend with Danny was a huge success. Going around with a newcomer opened the eyes of Steve and Blaze to things they had not noticed or no longer noticed about their city. On Friday evening Blaze noticed Steve looking at his watch several times. They had gone to a bar of his choice, one she didn't like much although it was well situated.

Steve looked up, smiled and waved and a young woman hurried to them.

Blaze and the young woman kissed happily and Steve then said, "Danny I'd like you to meet my sister Arlene."

Danny and Arlene locked eyes and slowly broke into toothy grins.

He asked, "Have you just driven in some somewhere?"

"Yes from college where I'm studying nursing. I'm staying tonight and tomorrow night with Steve. He told me you would be staying with Blaze and would require a date."

"Nursing eh, that's a really noble vocation. If I were in hospital I'd love it if you were my nurse."

"Oooh what a lovely thing to say to me."

For the next two nights Blaze stayed with Steve and the other two slept at Blaze's studio apartment.

It was a great weekend for them all.

During the next fortnight Blaze spent a great deal of her time reading approved applications for positions on her magazine and then interviewing applicants with Carol from HR.

It went very well apart from the graphic artist. The two applicants were women in their forties. She and Carol agreed they would have to re-advertise that position but an hour later Carol called excitedly that she'd just had a new graduate with a master's in computer design come in asking about job vacancies.

"Blaze, her portfolio has sent my heart thumping. She's having coffee, are you able to come down to my office now?"

Before looking at the portfolio Blaze asked the tall and white-faced brunette, "Why did you not secure a position before you left college?"

"Because I'm from Oklahoma City and wished to settle in Chicago. I like big cities and fashion and my parents had moved to Evanston to live near mom's parents. Dad has taken a position teaching computer science at Northwestern University. Recruiters from Chicago didn't come to my university of course and I wished to find a shared apartment before I went job hunting. My mother is willing to keep on supporting me financially."

"What are your interests outside of computer design?"

"Web browsing including fashion and I also peep at some adult sites. I read a lot but don't watch much TV apart from films and music channels. I continually add to my music collection and I'm also a bit of a party girl and shopping, oh god I love shopping and that's why choice to relocate in Chicago. I'm really big into photography and my sports are ice-skating and women's soccer. Oh and my interest in fashion has led me into making some of my own dresses and tops and I have began designing and have sold some of my designs."

"Well that's fascinating. Do you know about our new magazine?"

"Well only what Mrs Anderson has told me. She said you have fire in your belly, you are younger than me and you aim to have your magazine selling right across America and into Canada. Oh I love the name 'Forever Young' for a magazine. There's so much going wrong with society today and so many young people don't appear to hold out much hope for themselves that they need pillars in their life and the concept that appears to being applied to a magazine named 'Forever Young' may well prove to be one of those pillars."

"You have a silver tongue and a great attitude Jo. I've heard enough and now need to study your portfolio back in my office. Hold tight for an hour when I'll call you. Please give me your number."

Fifty minutes later Blaze called Jo. "Hi we need you back her to discuss terms and conditions. You meet all of my expectations of a graphic illustrator Jo. You will have an older woman as your assistant. She applied but was not up to speed and has agreed to become assistant graphic illustrator. Our magazine will rely heavily on graphics."

"I'm just leaving a coffee house down the street from you Blaze. Thanks for having faith in me. You offer me a great challenge."

"Thanks. I think you have a great name, Jo Black."

"When I was told your name was Blaze I admit I expected a redhead. Remain blonde Blaze, people like being confronted by the somewhat unexpected."

The call ended with Blaze thinking, Jo appeared to be exactly right to perform a pivotal role in her team. She very much liked the way Jo thought and her candor.

"Omigod, Jo is rather like me."

She now had to find an experienced sub-editor to appoint as chief sub and deputy editor.

CHAPTER 3

Group editor Fergus Hamill called Blaze to his office and was pouring coffee as she arrived.

"How's it going?"

She replied tartly, "Don't you read my reports?"

"Is that how you think you should speak to your editor-in-chief."

She eyed him, saying nothing, and he stared straight back until she winked.

He smiled and said in normal conversation tone, "Bitch."

"You must understand underlings dress up reports and concentrate telling their superiors what they think their superiors what to hear. I want to hear from you verbally and that's why you were invited here."

"Well if you must know I feel exposed and vulnerable. I'm working to overcome that unusual situation for me and Rachel has been of great assistance but I would appreciate you not telling her I'm experiencing self-doubt."

Fergus smiled and said, "Have I mentioned you have great breasts?"

She smiled.

"Jesus what do I have to do to get up your nose?"

"Well if you must know women irritate me easily but men don't. I've figured it's because I know I can handle men. I never know where the hell I am with many women."

"You are now thinking like a man. Um I apologize for my personal remark."

"Well don't. I believe I have great breasts and can't see why you shouldn't be allowed to make that comment when we're alone. Was that your pickup line when you met the two women you later married?"

He laughed. "Blaze Gallagher, you are a very bright young lady. Bright in other ways too. Suitable premises have been found and Stores begins moving out of the third floor tomorrow. Our consultant reported, in effect, who was the genius who came up with this idea and she estimated after taking into account additional rentals, in providing greater efficiency the theoretical net savings could be at least forty-five grand a year. That envelope in front of you is a check for five grand from a very appreciative CEO."

"Good god, that suggestion came right off the top of my head."

"And somewhat slower you came up with an improved name for your magazine. It's a gift. Some of the world's greatest ideas have come from flash thinking. It will be a month before renovations to your floor are completed. Final plans will be completed tomorrow."

"Final plans?"

He grinned. "Final preliminary layout plans subject to your approval."

"Oh you are such a lovely man. If you weren't married to such a glamorous young woman I would kiss you. I saw you two walking the other evening when I was out jogging with a girlfriend."

"You should have come over and said hi."

"It will wait. Bring your wife to my launch party. Now I'm in an asshole of an office. It's an interview room and ..."

"Move into this office next Monday. Isobel and I leave on Friday for Europe for almost a month to attend a couple of conventions and then to tour. It's our delayed honeymoon."

"This office?"

"Yes it's only an office. Everyone is being advised this afternoon to refer all queries to my deputy from next Monday. My deputy is Claire Wallace, editor of 'Illinois Homes With Gardens Magazine'."

"I know her from Tuesday's meetings. At least she'd not one of the editors who indicates they don't like having me in their midst."

"True but watch yourself with Claire. As for the others, and Claire for that matter, they fought for their positions against all-comers whereas you are hand-picked."

"Ah is that why I'm being cold-shouldered?"

"Add youth, low academic qualifications and inexperience and you have it. Claire is about thirty years older than you."

"Will she throw me out of your office?"

Fergus smiled and said he would brief Claire and also ask her to be pleasant to Blaze who was going through a traumatic time.

"Oh god that will make her think I'm weak."

"And therefore she is superior to you."

"Omigod how clever of you."

Fergus pressed a button under his desk and his PA entered. Blaze only knew her casually. The attractive woman in her later thirties was Mrs Belle Murrieta.

"Belle I believe you know Blaze Gallagher, editor of our soon to be launched youth magazine?"

"Yes Mr Hamill and hi again Blaze."

"Blaze has a pokey interview room for an office and is now engaged in crucial planning work. So I'm giving her this office to use while I'm away and I ask that you provide her with full services as her temporary PA."

Belle gaped. "Blaze will use your office?"

"Yeah and that will send tongues wagging."

"I would think so. Are you attempting to toughen up Blaze, risking putting her offside with that pack?"

"Belle I assure you Blaze is more than capable of looking after herself. Now do you have any questions?"

"Yes. Are you used to having a PA Blaze?"

"No definitely not. This has just been sprung on me Belle. Um would you be kind enough to help me cope and to steer me in the right direction? At present I scarcely know whether I'm operating on my ass or my belly."

Belle's huge peel of laughter suggested everything would be all right.

"No further questions. I'll fetch fresh coffee. I'm looking forward to working for you Miss Gallagher."

"Oh that makes me feel so relieved and I would prefer you call me Blaze Belle but it's your professional choice."

"Thank you Blaze. You have such a pretty name."

When the door closed Fergus said, "You handled that situation exceedingly well even if you were on auto-pilot. I could see that Belle who has a possessive streak was beginning to become uptight but you charmed her out of that. Your are beginning to deliver on the potential Rachel and I saw in you young lady."

* * *

When shopping with Steve on Saturday, Blaze said since she would be working on the lower of the two executive floors she must buy a dark business suit.

"Why? Be yourself. Why not start wearing the clothes you'll wear when fully operating as editor of your magazine."

That made sense to Blaze. So she should be herself. She spent heavily.

On Monday morning Belle gasped when she saw the newly colored now ash blonde, gray-eyed Blaze approaching, dressed in a very tight plum dress and wearing mauve 6-inch high heels.

"It's raining outside but here comes the sun to brighten our day," Belle giggled. "God you look so great."

The news spread quickly that glamour had come to Executive 2 Floor and Blaze was invited down three floors to have mid-morning coffee with Claire Wallace.

It was the first time Blaze had visited one of the other magazine floors apart from where she had worked until last Friday simply because no editor had invited her to visit.

She entered and was aware she'd caused a bit of a stir. A woman rose to greet her but Claire called from her office doorway, "It's fine Helena, this beautiful vision is my visitor."

Claire announced loudly, "Everyone this is the young lady you all have been talking about recently. This is Blaze Gallagher, editor of our soon to be launched magazine 'Forever Young'. Blaze is our youngest editor by far and in fact younger than any of you."

"Hi Blaze," people called.

She smiled and waved. Well so far Claire couldn't have been nicer.

Claire poured coffee making small talk and then, "If you were attempting to make your mark visually today you certainly have succeeded hugely. My congratulations. You may as well know we other editors bar Rachel are expecting you to fall over."

"That doesn't surprise me."

Claire smiled thinly and said, "What no tears?"

"Tears are for loser and for the weak Claire. I read your CV before coming down. Perhaps you could mention to your husband my mother also came from Ayr in Scotland and was then Drew Wallace and perhaps is a distant relative of his. She could be about you husband's age if he's about your age."

"Hmmm how interesting. I must ask him. Gallagher is also Scottish."

"Yes mom came with her parents to America by ship. They spent the first five nights before leaving New York hosted by a family of Gallagher's. They had a boy called Redman and some years later he went looking for my mother in Kansas City when my mother and her family had gone to live near close relatives. Dad found mom and married her a couple of years later and two years late they had twins, my brother and me."

"Oh what an amazing story. You could base a novel on that. Although your parents have unusual names I can't believe your mother would have accepted the name Blaze for you. Mothers are not like that."

"Good thinking. The name they so kindly bestowed on me was Pansy."

"Omigod I can see what happened. When you were older you went right away to the extreme from Pansy and defiantly called yourself Blaze after a notorious woman called Blaze Starr."

"Well that's more or less what happened but the name came from one of my girlfriend's mother's horse called Blaze, a chestnut and the most beautiful horse I'd ever seen."

They chatted on and Claire said, "You may as well know I felt outraged when told you are occupying Fergus's office while he's away."

"Well outrage is rather a strong reaction. Perhaps you'll feel vindicated if I fall over."

"Hmmm. Perhaps it's a bit early to say this but talking to you for the past twenty minutes has reshaped my mind about you. You have enormous charisma and confidence. I really can't see you failing. Build a great team and you'll cruise along."

"Oh thanks Claire. You obviously can be lovely. I'm in need of a good sub-editor capable of stepping up to become my chief sub-editor and deputy editor. Have you someone you feel obliged to give me because they deserve this opportunity?"

"Omigod girl you have amazing audacity."

"Well?"

"Yes there is someone I'll consult. God you are amazingly cheeky Blaze. The truth is I think it's wonderful. So many females around her lack fire in their belly."

"I think I've heard that before. Um do you mind showing me around so I can see your layout and hear you explain how you operate? I see no need to reinvent the wheel."

"Yes it will be my pleasure. You know my husband and I have two boys. I always longed for a daughter."

"A daughter like me would have been rather a challenge for you Claire. Ask my mom."

They laughed.

* * *

Steve called his mom, the weekly call, and this time it had extra purpose.

After the pleasantries he said, "Blaze wants you guys to come to Chicago on Saturday week to stay for the night and to go to the ballet with us. She's received a fat bonus and wishes to take us out."

"The ballet? There is no way I can get your father to Chicago to see anything and Arlene will be heavily into preparing for a test on clinical knowledge."

"Well just you and Bren will be fine. If she likes horses she'll like ballet."

"What makes you say that?"

"I have no idea. I'm attempting to apply gentle pressure mom."

Rene said, "Steve I accept Blaze is a lovely young lady but I feel she's a little too switched on for you. It might be best that we don't get too friendly with her."

"Why's that? When I last visited you told me to hold on to her and marry her."

"I wish to avoid the distress of your two breaking up."

"God mom, you are so conservative. What about the affect of a breakup on me?"

"Well there are other women with great looks and great figures darling."

"Mom I want you and Brenda here by lunchtime on Saturday week. Do you understand? If you fail to show up there will be a breaking up between me and my mother."

"Steve you do over-dramatize at times. Just a minute while I check with Bren. God you've got me calling her Bren now. Just back off a bit."

Steve tapped his fingers and his mom returned. "Well Brenda screamed her head off. She says it's a wonderful invitation."

"There I told you she would like ballet."

"Actually she said she was dying to be with Blaze again."

"Oh."

"I'm sorry darling. No mention was made of you or the ballet. Just Wonder Woman."

"What?"

"For goodness sake Steve, you are sleeping with her. She is a remarkable young woman. Can't you see it?"

"I think I do," he said unconvincingly. Part of his problem was his mom seemed to run hot and then cold about Blaze. That confused him.