Blood of the Clans Ch. 20

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Each of ye, take a corner and we'll carry him doon tae the loch and see if we can wash more of they things off, before we take him tae the castle. Ye've seen what he's like. We can'ne let his mother and sister see him, but fer God's sake, no one should see any of they things creeping aboot him. I know this is hard on ye's, but we must pay oor respects tae the man, as befits him. He was tae be yer Chief soon enough, wasn't he. This is the only MacDonnell left, tae be able tae pay tribute wi'. Glenn's in a state as it is, so is Lady Anne and Heather. We need tae do oor best fer them and let them all ha'e some peace."

Grayson's words hit home, that they owed a debit of respect to Kyle, as well as his mother and sister. Pulling themselves together as much as possible, the two men took the front rungs, while Grayson and Iain took the rear. They walked slowly towards Loch Long, as far away from sight of the castle as they could. Remembering where they were, Grayson knew Jacob Dornie's cottage was close by.

"Head fer Jacob's place, we can keep him there. I'm starting tae get an idea hoo this might turn oot alright, fer everyone."

Iain looked over at Grayson, trying to figure what he had in mind. They trudged on a few more hundred feet until they broke from the woods and were standing behind the cottage.

"Put him doon here, men. Ye two, stay wi' him, Iain, come wi' me." Grayson led Iain towards the cottage and soon the smell of decay was prevalent in the air again. The closer they came, the slower Iain walked.

"I know Iain, it's awfy bad, but we need tae get the fish and other things oot that smell. Co'er yer nose as best ye can. Take one good breath and hold it if ye need tae. Just gi'e me a hand and it'll be done fast."

Iain nodded his head, knowing it was only rotten food and not another dead body that awaited him. Both he and Grayson took deep breaths and went into the swarming flies. They grabbed as many things that were attracting them, as they could. They ran outside and tossed them into the loch, taking most of the swarm with them. Once more they took breaths and went inside. Grayson grabbed more fish, while Iain took the breads and grains and they ran to the loch once more. Tossing everything out as far as they could, they turned and looked at the cottage.

"Why did we do that, Laird Grayson?" Iain asked in puzzlement.

"This is where we are going tae pay a final tribute tae all the MacDonnell's and Jacob Dornie, all at once."

Iain wasn't sure what Grayson had in mind, but if meant he didn't have to carry Kyle any further, he was for it. Grayson walked to the back of the cottage with Iain and the four picked Kyle up and brought him to the shore.

"Stephen, go and fetch that broom just inside the door tae the left. Take a breath before ye go in, it's bad." Grayson ordered him, setting more dread into his eyes.

"There's nothing in there Stephen, just a smell." Iain assured him. Stephen walked slowly towards the cottage and took a deep breath, before going in. He looked where he was told and hurried back with the broom.

"Noo, go back wi' Athol and stay there, until I call fer ye's."

"I'll need ye tae help me undress Kyle and get all they things off him, Iain. I know it'll be a sight that'll gi' ye horrors in yer sleep, but God will bless ye fer doing this." he said to him, standing over Kyle's covered body.

"Och, M'Laird, I don'ne know if I can. The sight of him before, nearly drove me mad." Iain's reluctance to see it again, well understood by Grayson.

Grayson laid his arm over Iain's shoulder and shook him slightly.

"This is what makes ye a man from a boy, Iain. It's one thing tae kill a man, its another, when ye see what killing does tae him. I'm no taken wi' this task either, but it's fallen on oor shoulders tae do it and we must do it. Noo, ready yerself and let's get Kyle undressed and cleaned."

Despite his fears and loathing of what he was asked to do, Iain nodded his head reluctantly and crouched with Grayson above the body. Both pulled their tunics up over their noses and held them tight to their faces, as they put their hands on the first robe and peeled it off. They took the second one away and as they bared the remains. Iain fell backwards, but Grayson helped him up and with tears in both their eyes, they took hold of the hem of Kyle's tunic and pulled it up his body. It was covered in the writhing mass and as soon as he seen it, Iain vomited once again to his side. Grayson comforted him, knowing what he was feeling himself, was just as painful to the soul and more for Iain.

Grayson put the broom handle under Kyle's back and rolled him into the water, the maggots floating to the surface and drifting away. Iain was inwardly happy to see them leave and hoped all of them would magically disappear off the body. Grayson unwrapped the kilt and let it fall open, then swished the broom over his body, sweeping away any more.

"Iain, wash oot his kilt and tunic and lay them on the racks back there, tae dry, I'll finish washing Kyle."

Grayson couldn't have given an order he wanted to follow anymore than that one. Looking at the two choices of what needed to be done, washing clothes was far easier to do, than touching a dead body. Taking a deep breath of fresh air, he took the kilt and first swished it in the water, making sure it was rid of anything moving, before giving it a scrub with a smooth rock and sand to remove as much dirt and blood as he could. He carried it quickly to the rack and wrung out all the water, before he hung it. He ran away from it and exhaled his breath, taking in clearer air again. He came back and took the tunic and scrubbed it as clean as he could, before hurrying to the rack and wringing it out and hanging it. Once again, he dashed for distance and clean air.

He came back and washed his hands, then looked at Grayson, holding Kyle underwater, throwing sandy gravel on him, while gently using the broom to scrub him. Shreds of skin were peeling away, along with the dirt, decay and blood, but Grayson continued, until Kyle was as clean as he could make him. Iain looked at his hands shake and knew how painful it was for him to have to do that. Grayson rolled Kyle back, face up, but kept him under, the distortion of rippling water disguising what was actually there. Grayson turned to Iain, a tortured pain written on his face.

"We'll put the ladder under him when I let him go. Are ye ready?" Grayson choked out, he himself about to lose his sanity, trying to deal with the horror of the moment.

Iain slowly nodded, seeing the painful look in Grayson's eyes, reflect the same strike to the soul in them, that he was feeling. He shared in Grayson's strength of conviction, to pay all the respect due to Kyle, regardless of the personal cost and took hold of the ladder and positioned it along the body. When he felt it was ready, Grayson let Kyle go and he started to float up, the reality of him returning to focus. They slid the ladder under him and took the ends. Together they lifted him up and carried him back to the cottage. The smell wasn't quite as bad, but Iain was glad he was in the front and his back to what he carried.

"Take him in... lay... him on... the table,... Iain." Grayson told him, gagging on his own words.

They entered in and lowered the ladder on the table with care. Iain dashed out once more and thankfully took as much air in as he could. Grayson stood beside him and clapped him on the back, drawing in a fresh breath as well, gaining as much from the cleansing as he could. Once he composed himself enough, he looked at the state of Iain and saw how beaten he was, battered from the inside.

"Ye've done a great deed t'day, Iain. More than ye know. That took more courage tae do, than swing a sword at somebody. God will grant ye a place at his side, fer the honour ye ha'e bestowed. I'll go in and co'er him wi' the robes again, ye go o'er wi' Stephen and Athol and wait."

Iain bowed his head again, this time feeling more of the pride in his service done, than fear and loathing of his cousin's body. He turned and walked away, while Grayson went and gathered the robes and took a deep breath before entering again. He laid the robes over Kyle carefully, but with all the haste he could, battling against his own churning need to vomit once more. He finished and hurried out. gasping for a breath of air. He walked to the water and took sand and washed his hands, as clean as he felt he could get them, eventually making them red raw. He stood and turned to the cottage, imagining in his mind the sort of tribute he could do for the MacDonnell's and Jacob Dornie. It behoved him to know what he could do, his desire to make fulfilment to an honour owed. He turned to the water in front of him and nothing but a small dot of sandy island and a semi-causeway, like Tioram, going to it, held any note.

He walked back and re-joined the others, stopping short, as he noticed they all looked at him in reverence. Before them stood a large, flaming, red haired man of six foot five, the strength and might of him visibly displayed in his size, yet the light blue of his eyes, held a stunning contradiction of gentleness in them. Almost as one, they crossed their hearts with their fists and bowed to him.

Each of them knew in their hearts, they had witnessed greatness in a man. Grayson understood and gathered them in his arms and hugged them as his family, sharing the sense of the bonding moment, then they released and started walking back along the coast to Donan. Not a word was spoken by any, the distance immeasurably long in their minds. Grayson felt the weight of burden falling upon his shoulders, as he tried to think of a way of telling Lady Anne and Heather about Kyle. The torture to his own soul and spirit were taking its toll on him. He turned his eyes skyward and prayed for the strength to complete his task, knowing in his heart, he was shaken to the core.

*************************************

Argus finished the telling of awe-struck horror and valour, taking the last shortbread finger and dipping it into his drink. The room was silent, still agog at what they had heard. Stuart could see how it affected them and stood.

"Well, that was'ne quite the after-dinner tale I was wanting, Argus. Do ye think ye could of toned it down a wee bit and no been so graphic. I must say, it does'ne sit well after dinner, tae hear that. I think a break is in order here and a chance tae clear that image away from oor heads, before I take o'er."

"Maybe so, Stuart, but it was'ne all fun and games wi' swords and knives. People died and that is what happened after. I had tae tell that, so I could tell of what happened afterwards." Argus explained the reality of life then, to him and then all, steadfast in his judgement to tell it.

"As much as that was so, I think we should break here and calm oorselves, and I'll take o'er wi' Therese's problems afterwards." Stuart said, with the same churning feelings in his stomach as everyone else, then looked at Argus with a distressed smile and patted his shoulder, as everyone started walking past.

It took no other persuasion for the guests to leave the castle and seek some fresh air, the late, spring night still warm. Tom and Deb stood with some of the others in the courtyard and recounted what Argus had told them and it was agreed by all, that even though there were horrors in death, the pride and honour of the men showed through. The topic of conversation was quickly turned back to Garreth and Therese and what was happening with them, the queasy feelings rapidly being quelled and a sense of ease soon came back to everyone's faces.

Inside, Stuart was quietly discussing the next part of the telling with Argus and what he wanted to say. It was his hope of not upsetting everyone with Argus' penchant for the dramatic effect. He asked to do it himself, the possibility of further grief being avoided. Argus accepted Stuart's offer to tell it and was happily looking for more of his favourite treats to enjoy instead.

"I'm going tae start charging ye fer those, Argus." Stuart laughed, amazed at how much he wanted to eat the savoury, wee fingers of delight. "Should I ha'e them bake another batch, just fer ye?" he joked.

Argus looked up and smiled happily at him and nodded. "Ta", as a wide grin came across his face.

12