Blood of the Clans Ch. 38

Story Info
Sorley arrives with the Irish, Argus hints of the scandal
4.8k words
4.88
8.3k
4
0
Story does not have any tags

Part 38 of the 50 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 08/16/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Early in the morning, Douglas Wallace set off in his carriage with an escort of guards for Edinburgh, remaining true to his word. About the same time, James MacRae was on his way to the MacLean, Douglas and MacDougall clans. He wanted his dreams of victory to become real and he too didn't want to lose what he had already invested in this campaign. Any objections aside, these clans needed to be trained hard and fast to be ready for the plans of attack. Taking the long way down the western shore of Lismore, avoiding as much attention from the Stewart's as possible, MacRae's birlinn ground to a stop at the entrance to Loch a Choire. Ian MacLean came to meet him and welcomed him into their camp.

"What brings ye here, James?" Ian asked after making James comfortable with a seat and a drink.

"The battle begins in less than a month and I need every clan member ready tae fight and sail. I'm appointing new captains fer the Douglas and MacDougall clans, The Earl is off tae see someone who can gi'e us three or four good leaders, so there's no worry of the men getting lost in battle and no doing what they're ordered tae do. I feel I can trust ye tae lead yer men, Ian, ye've done well and proved it. What I want ye tae do is start training in yer birlinns. I'll ha'e Blair stay wi' ye's and help train the men in sea combat. Ye can train against one another and learn tactics at sea. If we don't win on water, we won't win on land, so it's vital every man in a boat knows hoo tae sail and fight." MacRae explained to him,

"I agree, James. I'll ha'e oor birlinns brought out of hiding and start training immediately. Where can we train wi'oot the Stewart's seeing us?" Ian asked him, looking straight across the loch to Castle Stalker less than five miles away.

"Sail at night and bring them tae Ballachulish, tae my loch. We can train wi'oot them seeing us there." James instructed him.

"Aye, that's a good place tae train. As long as we ha'e good winds tae sail wi', we'll be ready." Ian assured him.

"That takes a worry from me, Ian. Bring yer men and boats this night and ye can start at first light. I'm on my way noo, tae see MacDougall and ha'e him prepared. The Douglas' are my biggest worry. There's no a man among them that can lead. I ha'e men coming tae lead them and train wi' them fer battle. Wi' all my original leaders dead, including yer brother, I ha'e no choice but tae make sure we can win, whate'er way we can." MacRae told him, the tone of doubt settling in his words.

"There's still the problem wi' the Fraser's. They've joined wi' the Stewart's and ha'e their protection. They also ha'e three of oor birlinns. I can take some men and find some more before the attack, so that won't be a problem when the time comes, but I want that man dead, his uncle too." Ian's rage roiling to the surface at the thought of them.

"Ian, ye ha'e my authority tae kill them both. Them and any other Fraser's ye come across." James told him smiling, knowing how much Ian had wanted Sloan and Blain dead since his brother's death.

Ian's face took on a most vile look, as the thought of killing his arch enemies took hold in his mind.

"Ye'll ha'e yer chance, Ian, soon enough. Fer noo, concentrate on getting yer men ready tonight and bring yer birlinns tae me." James told him, shaking Ian's shoulder to break his train of thought.

Ian let the thought of killing Sloan and Blain leave his mind and nodded his head to James he understood. James bade him farewell and boarded his boat, heading south along the west coast of Loch Leven and keeping as far away from the Stewart's as he could. Once he passed the tip of Lismore, he sailed across and on to Dunollie.

Word was spread that the MacRae birlinn was approaching and Malcolm prepared himself to greet him. MacRae came over the side and walked up to Malcolm, his hand extended in greeting.

"James, what brings ye tae Dunollie?" Malcolm asked him.

"We need tae talk of the battle. Come, let us sit and drink and I'll tell ye of my plans." MacRae told him and led the way into the hall.

Once they were seated and drink brought to them, James began to explain his plan.

"Malcolm, I need leaders fer the men. I know yer wanting tae lead, but ye don't ha'e the experience yet. I'm sending fer captains and the Earl is getting me them." he started off.

Malcolm heard of his failings and took offence at being told he wasn't good enough. He rose from his seat and glared at MacRae.

"These are my men and I'll be the one tae lead them, or they don't fight. Ye can'ne tell me I can't lead my men. I'm their chief and I say when and who we fight." his defiance clearly showing to MacRae's intentions.

"Malcolm, I knew ye'd feel this way, so I'll set it straight tae ye. Yer young, barely a man yet. Hoo many battles ha'e ye fought in?" James asked him.

"None, so far." Malcolm replied, still glaring back.

"And hoo many men ha'e ye killed in battle?" James asked next.

"Ye saw me kill all those Fraser's. Ye saw it wi' yer own eyes, James." Malcolm told him, feeling he had proved himself already.

"Those were unarmed people ye killed, Malcolm, no a man facing ye wi' his sword drawn, or arras tearing yer hair oot, it was so close. Stand up."James asked him.

"Why?" Malcolm mildly protested.

"I said, STAND UP!!!" MacRae roared at him, his face no more than a foot away from Malcolm's, his eyes quickly ferocious and glaring.

Malcolm stood weakly as ordered and backed away from the table. James rose as well and drew his sword.

"Draw yer blade, Malcolm." the order one he hesitantly obeyed.

James came around the table and squared off against him.

"Show me what kind of a fighter ye are." James told him, starting to move in a circle and shifting the sword in his hand.

Malcolm took a defensive position, knowing he had nothing on his opponent. James was six feet and a half feet and almost twice his weight, with years of experience fighting in battle. The truth was hitting home hard, that he wasn't the fighter he thought he was. James struck a back-handed blow to Malcolm's sword, letting him know he wanted to prove his point. In moments, Malcolm was fending off blow after blow of MacRae's sword. James drove him backwards, ending up with Malcolm against the table. In a move faster than Malcolm could react to, James disarmed him and pushed him backwards, hard onto the oak table. James twirled the sword and changed his grip, as he held Malcolm by the throat against the table. MacRae brought the sword down fast, driving it deeply into the hardwood surface inches from Malcolm's head. James let him go and looked at him, as Malcolm started to weep in fright, at the thought he could have been killed so easily.

"Yer no a fighter, Malcolm. Yer no a leader either. I want yer clan wi' me, but I need them led right. Ye can train wi' yer men and ye'll be able tae lead them as well, but only what I want ye tae do, is that understood?" James said without any compassion and saw it deflate the young MacDougall's ego.

Through tear-stained eyes, Malcolm looked at MacRae and submissively nodded his agreement. The men in the hall shifted uneasily, seeing the chief of their clan being diminished so drastically. Leaman MacDougall came towards James and stopped, letting James know he wasn't attacking and spoke out.

"Who's tae lead us, MacRae?"

"I ha'e trained men of rank coming from Edinburgh, at the Earl's request. They'll be arriving in a week's time and I want every man battle ready and plans gone o'er till ye know them by heart. When I come back wi' yer new captain, his word is command, is that clear?" James demanded and looked around the room at all the stunned faces.

A general consent was heard from them, but James wasn't satisfied with the response.

"I said, IS THAT CLEAR?!!!" he roared at them, and got a more positive and aggressive response. "Ye ha'e a week tae be ready tae train and two weeks tae learn hoo tae be soldiers under him. Don'ne disappoint me. I ha'e tae go tae the Douglas' noo and do this again. I want them tae move tae here and ha'e ye's train together. Prepare fer them and make ready some food. They'll be here by nightfall, so get tae know one another and start knowing yer strengths and weaknesses. If ye's can see them, so can the captain and those bastard MacDonald's. I want an army that'll drive fear intae them. Blood will be spilled, some of it will be yer's, I just want all of theirs drained from them and no a MacDonald or MacLeod left alive. When this is o'er, there'll be lands and castles ye'll own and the Earl will grant ye charters tae them. Fail and ye lose everything ye ha'e noo. Make that yer reason tae train tae yer best." his orders and portends beings accepted by the men, including Malcolm.

James clapped Malcolm over the shoulders and hugged him roughly to him.

"Don't take it tae heart so badly, son, yer young and full of eagerness tae prove yerself. This is battle and men die. Don't be one of them. Yer clan has lost too many already and they need ye tae carry on and lead them."

Malcolm took it better now and nodded in agreement and almost found a bit of a smile.

James pulled his sword from the table and re-sheathed it. Malcolm noticed how deep the blade had gone in and choked back the thought of what it would have been like had it been his head. James said nothing more and retreated out of the castle and down to the birlinn. His men pushed off and climbed in, taking their places at the oars and soon the boat was turned and the sail raised. The MacDougall's looked at the MacRae's and in one move, they saluted with their swords. James found a smile at the display and drew his sword and held it high to them. He was starting to feel more at ease with the changes happening and hoped he had less resistance with the Douglas'.

The birlinn made the two mile distance in quick time, the winds in their favour, making the sail an easy one. Scraping up on the shore, MacRae once again sought out the pseudo leader, this time MacKenzie. MacRae spotted him standing around the fire with several other men and called out to him. MacKenzie turned at the sound of his name shouted out and quickly made his way towards MacRae. MacRae diverted their direction away from the others and MacKenzie knew instantly that something serious was to be told to him.

"There's a change in command needed, MacKenzie. Ye can fight, but yer men need a better leader. I ha'e men coming from Edinburgh in a week's time tae take charge of ye's. These are trained captains that will lead ye and the MacDougall's, as well as an advance army. I want ye tae start training the men hard and get them ready. This captain wants soldiers tae lead, so make them all intae soldiers, MacKenzie. Has the boy's wound mended, yet?" MacRae thought to ask.

"He's healing, but he holds a hatred of ye, MacRae. He's spoken of killing ye, e'en in his sleep. It's like he's no right in the head." MacKenzie warned him.

"I'm no worried, MacKenzie. He may ha'e the madness tae want tae, but no the strength. If I ha'e tae, I'll gi' him another reminder tae know when tae listen tae sense." James chortled.

No sooner had MacRae finished speaking, when a shrieking cry was heard right behind him. In a flash, MacRae was spun around, his hand under his cloak. By the time Kirklan was within three feet of him, James was drawing his hand out and slicing it diagonally upward. Kirklan ran into the small blade and instantly slowed his attack, as the blade cut deeper and deeper. Kirklan gasped in his breath, as James brought the stroke all the way through. Blood soaked the snee's blade, as MacRae lowered it down again and held it under Kirklan's throat.

"Are ye out of yer head lad? I saw ye standing beside the tree when I came up tae the fire. I knew ye wanted tae kill me, many men do. That's the second warning tae listen tae someone when they tell ye something. The next time we meet and ye want tae try and kill me, I'll put this blade where I crossed ye and gut ye where ye stand. Are ye listening tae me now, Kirklan?" James asked him calmly, holding him up as he spoke to him.

Kirklan was gasping for breath once again, the shock and excruciating pain encompassing him completely. MacKenzie took hold of him and led him away to get stitched up once more.

"MacKenzie, return tae me, we're no done yet." MacRae shouted after him.

MacKenzie took Kirklan to the old woman again and laid him down gently.

"I hate that man, Kenzie. I wish him dead." she said, as she looked at Kirklan with pure hatred coming from her eyes..

"He was foolish, Leigh, but alive. Mend him and see to it he does'ne do it again. He'll not get another warning." MacKenzie said no more and hurried back to MacRae.

"MacKenzie, ye'll need tae move the clan tae Dunollie. Malcolm is making a place fer ye's and preparing food. Yer tae be there by nightfall. The new captain's will arrive there and ye and the MacDougall's will train together. I'll be down tae see how things are going. Lands and a castle, a title as well MacKenzie, that's what that little arse in there is going tae get, if ye's do yer part and win the campaign. Let me see soldiers when I get back MacKenzie. Let me see if Harlan was true tae his word." then after speaking, he looked intensely at Mackenzie, his eye's boring into him, solidifying his rule in them, then turned and walked back to his birlinn. He smiled broadly as he heard Kirklan's cries ring out, as Leigh pierced his flesh again, in the first of many stitches to his chest. The other slash was a vivid pink now, having healed itself shut and now this one matching it in length, the seeping blood making a bolder statement on his flesh. The cries subsided before MacRae was out of earshot, Kirklan mercifully passing out from the stress of pain.

************************************

Stuart came back in slower than when he left, a bigger smile and a little red in the cheeks as well. He made his way back to his seat and waited until Argus finished talking.

"Thank ye, Argus. I could'ne wait until I finished where I was. Are we up tae date where ye are noo?"

"Aye. MacRae is back tae Ballachulish and the Earl's on his way tae Edinburgh, so it's... ye or Tavish noo?" Argus whispered back.

"Tavish is happy talking tae Mary, so I'll go on. I'm sure she's interested tae know about those diaries." to which they both stifled their laughter.

"I'd like tae ha'e another look at Bella's diary myself. It might just confirm what I came here tae tell ye aboot three days ago." Argus whispered again.

"Argus, this is really something very interesting, or very important that ye want tae share wi' me, isn't it?" Stuart asked seriously.

"It has a serious consequence tae it, is all I'll say fer noo. It's fairly near the time it happened, if I make my guess right."

"Noo ye've got tae tell me what it is, Argus. It might not be right fer the guests tae know aboot." Stuart asked worriedly.

Argus looked away and pondered what he knew for a moment, then shook his head.

"I don't think it'll change anyone's opinion after what they already know now, so it can wait. I just think ye'll find the end result very interesting though. That'll be a discussion that ye and I will ha'e in private."

Stuart's head swam with thoughts of what it could be and mockingly cursed Argus for not telling him.

"Stuart, are ye going tae get tae the ceremony part yet? I think oor young couple has waited long enough fer it, don't ye think?" Taylor called out.

"Aye, I was just saying tae Argus, I'd get tae that noo. Well, wi'oot further delay, let's get the ladies from Donan here and...wait...if I'm not mistaken, Tavish better get Arabella and Sorley sorted oot. As I remember, he left off at the good parts and did'ne finish. So let's gi' him a few minutes tae tidy that up and I promise I'll get tae what ye's are waiting fer. Tavish, if ye please."

"Thank ye, Stuart. Just so ye know, there's some more of those good parts tae come."

Tavish chuckled and gave a wink for everyone to see. Most of the women and some men, whooped their pleasure, at knowing some further tales of historical sexual exploits were still to come.

"Uncle Stuart, before Tavish starts, I wanted to ask something." Deb quickly asked.

"What's that, luv?" he replied.

"Did Therese have a diary as well? Tom and I were wondering if that's how you and Tavish know so many intimate things about everyone." she asked, the questions causing lights to go on in the other's minds.

Stuart could see that a barrage of questions was about to happen and stood quickly and held his hands up to them to stop.

"Please, before ye's get things all out of sorts wi' a million questions, let me just say this. Aye, Therese did write a diary, many in fact . Tavish and I were going through them after one of the visitors to the castle enquired about what was written in them. after seeing them in the display case at Chateau de Trecesson. Once we'd gone to France and read what was in Therese's, we were curious as tae what might be in Arabella's and Heather's as well. Seems a lot of the facts of our history as we knew it, changed after what we read in all the diaries. It's interesting that all this happened just four months ago. Do ye remember, Taylor? We had just booked our rail passes the day before ye called."

"That's right, Stuart. I remember you mentioning your trip. I was on my way to Italy around that time too." Taylor confirmed.

"So after France and then down tae Armadale, Tavish and I spent quite a few days going through the pages of history, written from a different perspective, let's say. A lot of what the clans wrote about things, was exaggerated, or made up entirely in some cases. So Tavish and I had a crash course just recently in what happened." Stuart explained and the questioning faces eased, an intense Q and A period being avoided.

"Are you a historian, Mr. Stewart, or did you have diaries as well?" Tom asked.

"Well, I was gi'en some news that had me check intae my clan history. As I told Stuart earlier, I ha'e some news tae tell him, and that's why I showed up the other night. But seeing as ye's were talking aboot the time in question, I thought I'd wait and see if oor stories were the same or not. So, like him, we'll wait until we get tae that part and see what's up wi' things. I know ye's will all find it quite interesting, because I sure do. I had'ne a clue, nor was there any question. Just something came up and I'm sure you'll all shake yer heads like I did." Argus told them and saw the looks on everyone's faces rise several notches in interest.

Before that bombshell created a commotion, Stuart quickly brought the attention and focus back to Tavish. As Tavish rose and used his hands to calm everyone, Stuart couldn't help but feel threatened somehow by the news Argus was waiting to expose. His mind played history in fast forward, searching for a clue as to what Argus' news could be about.

Tavish's voice filled the hall in resonance, as he went about finishing up.

*****************************

Sorley had his men prepare for attack as he approached the castle. He knew from the last visit, that mistakes happen when tensions run high. When the tower guard waved, he knew any danger had passed and the men relaxed, as the sail was lowered and the momentum carried the wooden craft onto the shore. Happy faces were seen on the faces of both clans, as they melded into a mass of men greeting one another.

"Sorley, yer return is well-favoured, but we thought ye were raising more of an army than this?" Robert said to him, as they came to greet one another.

Sorley laughed heartily, at hearing Robert's worries. "I ha'e a few more men, but their boats are just ootside of the loch waiting fer my signal. If ye'll send up two flaming arras, no more, no less, the men will sail in. We did'ne want tae ha'e ye's firing on us again, when ye saw the sails coming and thought ye were under attack. So ha'e yer guards fire two flamers intae the air t'gether, towards the sea and they'll come in."

12