Blood of the Clans Ch. 40

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"May I offer a blessing as well?" she asked nervously, not knowing if she spoke out of turn or place.

"Aye, of course ye may, Kyla. Please, go ahead." Garreth told her, his words clearly showing the effects of too much clan drink.

Kyla bowed and curtseyed before she started.

"Happy is the bride that rain falls on.

May yer mornings bring joy and yer evenings bring peace.

May yer troubles grow few, as yer blessings increase.

May the saddest day of your future,

be no worse than the happiest day of yer past.

May yer hands be fere'er clasped in friendship

and yer hearts joined fere'er in love.

Yer lives are very special,

God has touched ye's in many ways.

May his blessings rest upon ye's

and fill all yer coming days."

She finished and bowed, curtseying deeply to both couples.

"That was so very lovely, Kyla. Where did you learn this?" Therese asked her.

"I learned it from my mammie since I was a wee girl, Lady Therese. She wanted tae say it tae me when I was wed, but she died before she could. I hope it has pleased ye's, as it has pleased me?" she asked them, looking from one to the next.

"It has pleased us very much, Kyla. Truly, it is a beautiful blessing." Garreth told her, then kissed Therese's hand, making her smile happily and then kissed her strong for everyone to see, bringing shouts of joy at the kiss.

Grayson wasn't to be undone and stood, then helped Heather up and held her to him, as he kissed her with passion. The walls reverberated with the cheers for more, then Garreth rose with Therese. They too locked in a passionate embrace and kiss, bringing the guests to bang cups and hands on the tables and stomp their feet on the floor. Arabella squeezed Braedon's hand tighter, as she looked at Garreth kissing Therese, tensing at the hurt and he took it as a sign she was feeling in kind. He turned her face to him and kissed her, not noticing the tears beginning in her eyes.

Cheers rang out for them and the couples broke apart upon hearing them and began to cheer along. Hearing them in her ears, Arabella put more of her heart back into her kiss and returned her feelings strongly in her touch and lips. Calls rang out for another ceremony for them and Braedon broke the kiss, as he looked into her eyes. He raised his hand for quiet and as soon as the cheering stopped, they waited for him to speak.

"Lady Arabella MacDonald, it would indeed be the greatest of honours, if ye would accept a proposal of marriage from me and agree tae be my wife."

The hall fell completely silent, as they looked at Arabella intently. Without more than a few moments of pause, she looked at him with great love in her eyes and the look on her face, as she answered.

"Laird Braedon Stewart, it would truly be a great honour tae marry so fine a man as yerself, I accept yer proposal." then came forward to offer her lips to him again.

They kissed madly with passion, oblivious and uncaring to the roar of cheers around them.

Garreth banged his hand on the table and called for quiet, the guests challenging him by continuing to cheer. Finally they stopped, when Arabella and Braedon parted, giving Garreth a chance to quiet them.

Friends, it is indeed a glorious day. A day filled with great love and happiness. This couple before me ha'e blessed oor unions, by sharing in them wi' a further bond of love. I ha'e ne'er felt so happy and proud, as I do on this day. I offer them e'ery happiness and good fortune and I know all of ye's do as well. Let us raise oor cups and toast tae Laird Braedon and Lady Arabella and wish them well."

Cups were filled and guests waited for Garreth to continue.

"Tae a new love, one we wish tae grow strong and fill the hearts of this couple. May it bless them wi' happiness and joy in the years tae come, may it see them through times of hardship and carry them forward. Bless this couple and the union they wish tae make t'gether, make it strong and let it last long in their years. Join me noo in wishing them well in their new journey in life t'gether. Tae Bella and Braedon." he shouted out and the guests shouted in kind, before cups were drank and cheering resumed.

The musicians broke into a tune and soon the hall was filled with festivity again. The guests that didn't get a chance to see the couple, were happy enough to continue the party and knew they would get a chance to offer their blessing before the night was through. Braedon took Arabella to the open area and danced happily with her, enjoying

their new bond of love. A guard made his way towards Garreth, holding a dispatch in his hand. He waited for Garreth to finish talking to Grayson, before interrupting.

"Pardons my Laird, this was just brought by the Earl's men. They sailed in and handed it to us, then immediately rowed away." he said, handing it to him. Garreth opened it and quickly read the contents to himself. His face turned to one of instant rage and threw the paper on the ground, before racing out of the castle into the twilight. He saw

the galley rowing away from the castle and screamed at it from the battlement wall.

"Tell that poofy bastard, Wallace, he'll ne'er ha'e Lady Therese. She is my wife and I'll kill him myself if he tries anything. He can kiss my arse and damn him tae Hell."

Grayson had rushed from the castle after him and stood beside him. He could see the rage in his eyes and asked what he had read. Garreth told him and Grayson turned towards the now distant boat and felt his own rage boil. They returned to the hall to find Therese being consoled by Heather, Anne and Arabella, as well as many other guests. In front of her was the dispatch and Garreth picked it up and stood on the table. He held the paper high and shouted out to everyone so they knew what had caused such distress.

"This piece of filth I hold in my hand, is from the Earl of Huntly. He is challenging my joining wi` Therese. He had made a contract of marriage wi' Therese's mother and had his chance. Therese declined his offer, knowing there was no future wi' him. She was free tae join wi' me and she has. I swear before all of ye's noo, if that bastard Wallace so much as utters a word tae the church, or king, I'll kill him and hang his head from the gate and scatter his remains on MacLeod's Tables fer the birds tae pick at his bones."

The festive mood turned sour, as the ladies helped a weeping Therese to Garreth's chambers, as the men consoled Garreth and swore their allegiance to defend his honour and his bond with Therese. The guests dispersed to their rooms and homes, as the servants began cleaning up. The leaders gathered and discussed the events, with Garreth declaring that two men must die in this battle, James MacRae and Douglas Wallace. There was no wedding night bliss that night for Garreth and Therese.

********************************

Stuart ended at that point and turned to Tom and Deb, asking what they thought of the ceremony.

"Uncle Stuart, that was really beautiful, but so sad at the end. What a lousy way to end a wedding night, sure glad we don't have an Earl of Huntly problem. I do have a question though. How can we do it like that by tomorrow? I don't have a proper dress and Tom didn't bring anything that formal. Plus, we need to learn what we need to do and say a bit better. That was a beautiful ceremony like I said, but I can't remember half of it even now." Deb said first, her face showing her doubts and getting a look of agreement from Tom.

"Yes, it was sad, There's a bit more heartbreak as well fer Therese and Garreth, but I'll save that fer later. So, I guess we ha'e a wee sticking point, don't we. Let me make a few calls and pull a few strings and we'll ha'e it next Saturday, before ye's go back. That will gi'e us the time we need and let ye's ha'e yer wedding night in the castle. It was'ne till I finished, that I started tae think of that myself. Not tae worry though, as Chief of this clan, I should be able tae make a few things happen still. Guests, here's what we need tae do. We need tae find some material fer a dress and ha'e it made in one week, can the women help me wi' this?" he asked and five immediately said they would. "I'll take Tom tae get fitted fer a kilt and jacket, along wi' what he needs tae look his best. Men, can ye help wi' any accessories ye feel might make him look more like a laird about tae be wed? I ha'e a couple of things I know tae use, but anything will help."

The men agreed they'd go through what treasures they had and offered to loan them to Tom for the day. Tom and Deb couldn't be happier and soon everyone, but one was getting into what to do to prepare. Only Argus showed a disappointment the telling stopped. He knew in his heart that the time was getting close to divulge what he knew and wanted Stuart to continue, but as he looked around, there was no hope the story would continue tonight. Tomorrow, he knew would be the day he'd be able to tell his secret and made plans to be here early enough to catch any telling. He looked at Stuart and then to Tavish, then pondered what their responses would be like, when he told them the news. He was starting to get impatient himself and like a jack-in-the-box being wound up, he wanted to finally spring the news and yell surprise!

12