Blood of the Clans Ch. 50

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Kirkland pulled his tunic up and bared the vivid scars of MacRae's cross, still a dark contrast against his pale skin.

"MacRae did that tae ye, why?"

"He said I was'ne fit tae lead my people. I tried tae kill him twice, both times he bested me wi' his snee. I swore vengeance on him fer this and I ha'e it now."

"Ye ha'e it, young Douglas. Let yer heart know the deed is done."

"Who are ye?"

"Laird Garreth MacLeod, I owe ye my deepest gratitude, fer saving my life. I ha'e no quarrels wi' the Douglas clan. I know ye's only want lands of yer own, like many do. I can'ne fault ye's fer wanting that."

The thunderous sounds of hooves came echoing louder and clearer, as the royal troops made it into the clearing and began surrounding the entire battle scene. Men saw the banners and armoured cavalry, the fighting lessening in intensity, as they became surrounded and outnumbered. The Royal Envoy stayed at the rear, waiting until all fighting had stopped under order and control of the scene was theirs. Bloodied and battered men stood in silence, waiting for the commands to be spoken. Some went to those in need of aid, but arms were laid down equally, no side feeling they had an advantage in the situation.

The envoy rode forward with four, heavily armed men at each side of him and asked for all heads of the clans to present themselves before him. Garreth walked Kirkland over with him, picking up his sword as he passed, while Grayson came from the fray, bloodied with his own blood and that of many other men's blood. He sheathed his sword and slung his battered targe over his shoulder and stood beside Garreth.

"Is there a head fer the clan MacRae?"

Liam MacRae looked about for his father, or Leith, but couldn't see them anywhere. He knew he was after his brother for control, so he came forward and stood apart from the others.

"I am Liam MacRae, son of James."

The envoy looked at them all, the sight of battle on them, hard to digest and made his announcement.

"It is my duty as the King's Envoy, tae take command of this castle and the lands beholding tae it, in his name. All fighting is tae cease immediately, by order of his Majesty, James the sixth of Scotland. Any one who disobeys these orders, will find a swift and severe penalty fer breaking them. Is this understood, by all? A show of ascent is needed."

They all agreed to abide with what was about to be ordered of them. The envoy looked at them and then at the scene of mayhem and massacre.

"I will take rest in Eilean Donan. Ha'e the men inside come out and join those here, now. See tae the wounded first and when yer cleaned up, I wish tae see the leaders only in the hall, understood."

"Aye, yer understood."

Grayson's size and still present fierceness, in conjunction with the quantities of blood on him, made the envoy sit back in reaction, as he turned to go to his men. Garreth gave the envoy a long, studious look and then bowed his head only slightly, before he went to his men.

Three rowboats scraped up onto the shore, far down from where the battle was, but many of those stationed in the woods as archers and back up, recognized Lady Arabella and Lady Therese walking towards them with a royal figure and high ranking officers, as well as banner carriers and armed soldiers carrying muskets.

The envoy led the way past the fray and on towards the castle, slowing down again, as he noticed the entourage approaching from the other direction. He motioned for a halt and approached with his honour guard only. He pulled up a dozen feet in front of them and halted their progress to the bridge. He recognized the royal banner and then Princess Margret, bowing to her, then to Arabella and Therese. His guards followed suit, showing respect to their positions.

"Yer Highness, why are ye here? How are the French involved in this battle?"

"Graham Kingsland, how nice to see you again. I would find it better suited, if we continue our greetings inside, where we can sit and be comfortable."

"Yes, your Highness. I'll secure the castle and make it ready. Guards, go back and ha'e the men ready the castle. See that all arms are put down and ha'e the men prepare the hall fer our arrival."

The guards turned quickly and went to the others awaiting them. In seconds, they were all riding up to the bridge. The burnt corpses on the bridge were enough to halt the progress of the guards to the castle gate, their horse shying away from them. As they waited on the bridge, the two clansmen below had no idea the battle had ended and struck the flint close to the fuses, setting them alight. The fuses burned their way up the stone supports and caught the oil almost at the same time. The flames roared up over eight feet high and began racing down the bridge towards the royal guards. The first four riders were caught in it, unable to turn around, their clothing catching fire, as well as the horse blankets. The others panicked and turned as fast as the mayhem would allow and rode back off, some on fire, some only smouldering with smoke. The horrific screams of the men burning to death, as well as the horses, silenced the scene's mood of peace and began the guards calling for retaliation.

Men from the castle came out to the bridge and called to the men below to cease lighting charges. The two men came out, their fear trapped on their faces, as they looked at their clansmen, then at the dozens of bows aimed at them. They looked at the ebbing flames from the oil and the charred remains of guards and horses.

"Halt, lower yer weapons. Those men were acting under my orders and were waiting fer the enemy tae cross, tae set light tae it. My duty is tae defend this castle from all attackers and they were'ne gi'en the order tae cease. It's my fault, if anyone's, yer men are dead, no them."

"We are the King's guard, escorting the Royal Envoy. Ye'll lay down yer arms and leave the castle, those are my orders. Any who resist, are tae be severely punished, or die."

Garreth was running towards the castle, the moment he saw the oil go up in flames. Grayson was right behind him, as they raced through the mass of bloodied men, towards the rising conflict.

The envoy, as well as the entourage made their way as quickly as possible to the bridge area. Garreth and Grayson arrived just after them and called out to Peadair to lay down their arms and exit the castle. Peadair gave the order to stand down and leave the castle to several men, who ran about the grounds and rooms, relaying the order to the others. The gates opened in minutes and unarmed clansmen came out and stood on the grounds around the castle, their way across the bridge still blocked by fire and burnt corpses.

"Ha'e yer men clear away the bodies of the dead, intae the castle. Dispose of the horses as ye see fit." the envoy's voice a mix of outrage and disgust.

Grayson looked at the envoy and knew not to argue, the fault for everything beginning with his plans to use flaming oil in the first place. He had men get buckets to douse the flames and stretchers for the dead men. He thought of what Lady Anne had said about it being too barbaric, as the smoke rose from the bodies and had to silently agree with her. Moments after the water hit the burnt flesh, the stench permeated the air, sickening many close by. The women held handkerchiefs to their faces, to fend off the vile smell and moved upwind from the scene, along with everyone else behind them.

Stretchers were brought out and the dead were laid out on them, the men trying not to let the horror take hold of them, as they carried them back into the castle and laid out of sight in the shade along the wall, then covered. Ropes were brought out and tied to the hind hooves of the horses and dragged by a dozen men on each one, taking them off the bridge and out onto the open ground. More buckets of water were brought and washed down the bridge, straw brooms sweeping the foul water down the drain holes. Once the bridge was readied, the guards formed a line to the castle, for the envoy and entourage to enter. Once all principle parties were inside, the gates were closed and the guards took their positions and ordered the clansmen off the castle grounds and back on the mainland.

Once all of them were across, they posted guards at the bridge's entrance and held weapons at the ready towards the clansmen.

With the battle over, wounded were treated and the dead collected, sorted out in clans for recognition. The number of dead appeared equal for the allied clans of the MacDonald's, but less than half the numbers sustained by MacRae's allegiance. Most of the English soldiers were gone, as well as the MacDougall's. The Douglas' had suffered many losses, but not near as many as the rest. Kirkland stood with his clan, feeling his place among them and knew they accepted him as a leader.

His ability to travel to Donan and remain undetected, astounded the men. He showed them the amulet that the witch had given him and told them of the charms she had blessed him with. His killing of MacRae had raised his status of bravery, despite his youth. He told them of what Garreth had said to him, before leaving to the castle and how lands would be made for them, if they agreed to be a peaceful clan. His men weighed out their position, knowing that any ties with MacRae, would result in a loss for them, if they wanted to side with them still. A concurrence was made, to await the decision of the envoy and see what they would be offered by him, or Garreth.

The hall was filled and seats were taken by rank and position. Drink was brought and served, as the envoy prepared to take command of the meeting.

"I have been sent here by his Majesty, King James, tae quell this uprising and bring an end tae the feuding between ye. Word has been sent tae the King, explaining the situation by the Earl of Huntly and his Majesty has ordered I intervene on his behalf. I know the MacDonnell's, kin of the MacDonald's, ha'e resided here fer o'er two hundred year, taking it away from the MacRae's o'er a dispute of debt. I ha'e in my possession, a charter titling this castle and the lands surrounding it, tae the MacKenzie's. They had rightful possession and ha'e made the MacRae's their Stewards of the Castle, in their stead. No charter of possession is held by the MacDonnell's, that has been produced, but if one can be presented, I will suspend judgement. If none can be made present, I must follow his Majesty's rule and gi'e possession tae the MacRae's."

Grayson rose in fury, hearing Lady Anne and the MacDonnell's were going to lose the castle and lands. Guards reacted quickly and spears were pointed at him, before he backed away from the table and put his hand on his sword.

"Ye ha'e no choice in the matter, MacDonald. This is the King's land and his rule. Charters must be presented tae show ownership of castle and lands, if not, they come under the King's discretion tae award them tae a rightful owner."

"Yer Lordship, if I may."

"Yes, yer Highness, what is it?"

Margret looked at Kingsland and sized him up in her mind, before speaking. Kingsland saw the look and felt unsure of himself.

"You say the MacRae's were in dispute with the MacDonald clan, they owed a debt?"

"Yes, yer Highness, that is correct."

"Was this debt ever resolved?"

"Not that I'm aware of, yer Highness, but the fact remains, the charter gi'es them entitlement."

"Isn't that entitlement forfeit, if they owe a debt to someone?"

"If I may, yer Highness." Garreth intervened at that point.

"The debt in question, was wi' the MacKenzie's. My clan, as well as the MacDonald clan, ha'e a long standing debt of blood and money, wi' the MacKenzie's. My father died because of them, Grayson and Arabella lost uncles and kin. We caught the MacKenzie's stealing our cattle and horses and wanted payment fer them."

"When was this crime committed?" Kingsland became more interested in the claim Garreth presented. He knew the highlands were rife with theft by one clan, or another and debts were sometimes settled with forfeiture of castle and lands.

"O'er two hundred year ago. Hamish the Elder, laid siege tae the castle and forced the MacRae's tae pay their former owners debts, or leave the castle. They left after a small amount of fighting and returned a year later, wi' more men and tried tae take it back. They lost that battle and were driven from the lands, by my clan and the MacDonald's. The dispute has ne'er been settled, so the castle has been in MacDonnell's possession e'er since. All clans consider the debt settled wi' the MacKenzie's now. The MacRae's can'ne be Stewards of a castle, that the MacKenzie's owed tae us in debt."

Kingsland looked at Garreth, then to the faces of the others, focused completely on him and what he said. He knew tensions were at a critical point and didn't want any further bloodshed.

"If ye can understand my position, Laird MacLeod, the King recognizes this charter, whereas, I see the dispute and the forfeiture in favour of settlement. I feel it is my duty, tae carry out his orders as requested." he quickly held his hand up, as everyone wanted to voice their concerns. "Furthermore, I will bring this matter before him and let him make a decision on it, based on the evidence of debt."

"Monsieur Kingsland, une moment." Margret said in a gentle manner, as she rose.

The room hushed and eyes turned to Margret, her soft voice still powerful enough to command their attention.

"Yes, yer Highness?"

"If I may add, the French Empire is most friendly with the Scottish king and its people, yes?" her smile warm and friendly.

"Yes, yer Highness, we are on good terms wi' each other."

"I would like it to remain so. I am sure his Majesty, James, would as well, correct?"

"Yes, he would, yer Highness." Kingsland knew she was proposing an ultimatum.

"I am sure he would be most upset, to know that some of his people, that I am most fond of, have been treated unfairly by him."Margret's words, however gently spoken, left an impression in every person's head.

When Margret sat and smiled at Kingsland, eyes turned to him and awaited his response. He felt the weight of each stare and knew to choose his words carefully.

"I'm sure his Majesty would be very upset tae know that, yer Highness. I'll make yer wishes known tae him. However, the issue of the charter hasn't been resolved by him and he must take both matters now, intae question. I, of course ha'e no authority tae make a decision, so I must do what I came tae do and that's resolve this dispute and hand the castle o'er to the rightful owners. Who that is, is up tae the king tae decide, not me."

Margret continued smiling, as her eyes bore into his.

"Just make sure he knows who right ones are. I know that there are many issues regarding improvements to the lands and the castle that are already being discussed. There is more to this than just handing over a castle to someone. Lives of many people have been lost, Laird Hamish and his son, most notably. Many more lives of families and clans living here, will be killed, or thrown off their lands. I would suggest that you discuss this with James, in no uncertain terms, that he hear from each of these people, what he needs to know."

Kingsland knew he was out of ways to enforce the order he was given and ride away. He looked at each of the faces focused on him, seeing the determination to have their way in this and had to cede to the pressure.

"I will make this recommendation then. Tae resolve the fighting, the MacDonnell's will remain as holders, not owners, of Donan. All clans are tae disband and go back tae their lands. The MacRae's can hold the grounds at the head of Duich, this side of the Kintails and the Strath. There will be no warring between anyone. There is more than enough game tae hunt and fresh water there, as well as wild roots tae harvest. Shelters can be made tae live in, there's good muck and stone there, reeds tae make thatch. I will leave a troop here tae watch o'er everything and make sure what is set out, is adhered tae. I will return and address this wi' his Majesty and ha'e word sent tae each head tae attend at his order. All evidence ye ha'e of yer claim tae support it, will go good in yer steads."

"I find that an amenable decision, Graham."

"Thank ye, yer Highness. I must ask of ye again though, how is it ye come tae be involved in all of this?"

"I was asked by Lady Therese for her aid in protecting this castle we sit in, Graham. It seems the attacking forces were more inclined to want it demolished. Other than removing the threat to the castle, we have not been involved in any of the fighting."

"How did yer Highness remove the threat?"

"That was simple, Graham. We sunk their ships and blew up their cannons, when they fired upon us. We never had a chance to propose a truce with them and stop the battle, so defending ourselves and the castle was our only objective. When the clans were at war on land, we made no interference with them, as God would decide who was to win."

"Thank ye, yer Highness. Lady Therese, may I ask ye, why do ye want tae save the castle?"

Therese took Garreth's hand in hers and kissed it, then turned back to Graham Kingsland.

"I am the wife of Laird Garreth MacLeod. My husband was called upon to give aid in this conflict and as his wife, it was my duty to help him in any way I could. Her Highness was coming to my rescue, after being kidnapped by the Earl of Huntly. His men came to France and beat me unconscious, then sailed me back to Scotland. It was Sorley Boy MacDonnell who rescued me from the Earl's men and sailed me to Tioram and the MacDonald's."

Kingsland looked shocked with disbelief, hearing Therese recount her ordeal. He waited until she was finished and offered his own apologies to her, then thanked Sorley for his efforts, not knowing the outcome of the two lieutenants who committed the act.

While most sat in a more relaxed manner, one man was still seething with madness. Liam MacRae got up hastily and left the table abruptly, then realized his place and stopped, turning around slowly. He bowed quickly, his eyes filled with anger and hatred, as he looked at Grayson and Garreth, then spun on his heel and left the hall. Grayson turned to Kingsland and talked solemnly in whispered words.

"I fear a peace between us all will be easier tae write, than carry out, my Lord. I will abide by yer conditions and await counsel wi' the king. I will make sure my clans don'ne attack or interfere wi' the MacRae's, while they settle there. Should the peace be broken and blood spilled, it'll be at a MacRae's hand that it happened. If it does, my clans won't stop, until every last MacRae is dead."

Kingsland looked at Grayson and saw the truth of his words. He looked back at the door that Liam had left through and thought things over with considerably more dread than he had previously.

"I am pleased tae know ye will abide my orders, MacDonald, as well as yer's, MacLeod. I'll talk tae young MacRae and make sure he understands my orders and what's at stake here."

Despite the sounds of pain and agony wafting into the hall, the principal members sat peacefully and drank wine, as they discussed issues of importance. Outside the doors, wounded men in every state were being attended to by those able to provide some level of medical attention. Despite their best efforts, many succumbed to their wounds, be it blood loss, or massive damage to their bodies.

Amputations were conducted hastily, to remove arms and legs that were beyond repair and prevent gangrene from setting in. The bodies of the dead, were laid out on the ground and covered, to prevent the flies from feasting on their corpses. Men wailed in agony of their injuries, as gashes were sewn shut and poultices applied to ward off infection. Whisky was handed out liberally to aid in deadening the pain and no man, friend or foe, was denied its comfort.