Born Again Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I made the effort needed to get back into my work. There was plenty of it left to do and I filled the rest of my morning by diving into it. Making calls to different clients took up a great deal of my time. I had just hung up with a client when I heard my stomach growl, in protest of not having any food lately. I didn't have any time to think about what I would like to eat for lunch before Jess showed up at my door again. I looked up when I heard her clear her throat.

"I know I ask this everyday for the past year, but one day I am hoping you will say yes." She said with a smile "Would you like to go to town with me and get lunch?"

I leaned back in my chair for a moment and studied her. "Yes I would like to." I saw the shock on her face followed by a look of joy as she turned to get her coat.

"There is this great little Italian restaurant that opened up about 6 months ago. I go there a lot. How does that sound?" She looked back in my office to see me getting my own jacket and walking towards her. I nodded and followed her out to the cars. We chose mine and we drove in silence the ten miles to town.

The town was quaint and offered the hospitality one would find when going back to mom's house. The streets were active today, lunch hour being the busiest it ever got. Then of course, there was the fact that it was Christmas season and everyone was taking as much time as he or she could in getting his or her loved one's presents. I hadn't even thought about the holidays. Last season, I just gave Jess a bonus in her check as a present. I thought for a moment how much Sheryl would have hated that. I shook my head softly as I looked for a parking space near the establishment Jess pointed out to me.

"What's wrong Jo?" Jess asked me as she noticed my deep thoughtful look.

"I was just thinking this is going to be the second Christmas without her." I pulled into a spot carefully and turned off my jeep. "And how much she would have gotten on my ass for the way I have treated you in this past year"

I stared at the steering wheel as those words hung in the air for a moment. The tension, at least on my part was thick. I felt her hand touch my arm a second then she chuckled a little.

"I will let it slide this time, but I expect that it won't happen again," She laughed a bit and I looked to see her smile. She was joking with me but still there held a bit of seriousness in her face. I knew she was right. Even if I didn't end up with her, I would never treat her like that again. I smiled at her and opened my door, and went to hers before she could gather herself together to open her door as well. The smile I got for being the charming dyke I was before Sheryl's death earned me the most beautiful smile I had ever seen from her. It went right through me and warmed me inside. Could this heart be thawing some? Taking her arm in mine, I led her on the sidewalk and proceeded to the restaurant.

The atmosphere was charming, the décor very Italian with the wine bottle candles in the center of each table which was draped with a red cloth. A young woman approached us and I recognized her from another place Sheryl and I use to go to a lot. I smiled as I ran a list of names through my head and found hers, giving her a smile that was happily returned.

"Ms. Tanner, how nice to see you. Table for two?" She asked brightly. I told her yes and she led us to a small table towards the back. Obviously thinking we needed some privacy. She brought me a wine list and two menus, and then left us to study them.

"You in the mood for a glass of wine Jess?" I asked while looking over the list.

"Sure, but only one glass. We still have work to do back at the office and you remember how I get when I drink wine." There was some humor in her voice and I had to look up to see her eyes shining bright as her lips curled into a mischievous grin. How could I have forgotten that night so many years ago? Jess had consumed to much wine one night and ended up having a kissing fest with Sheryl and I. I had written it off as curiosity with us. Obviously, I was wrong.

I grinned at her, leaned across the table, and whispered, "I will have to keep that in mind then." I was rewarded with a bright glowing blush that rushed to her cheeks.

The rest of the lunch was spent talking about business, but I could see in her eyes she would have rather been talking about something else, she didn't push it. After lunch, we walked down the streets some, so she could show me all the new businesses that had opened. There was a wealth of business for myself out there and I had let it slip by me in my grief. I would have to remedy that immediately. At least she wasn't letting my dropped ball hurt us. She had been making contacts with people over the past year. She kept her eyes opened for any new business ideas people were coming up with and contacting them while they were still in the business plan stage to show them what we could do for them and their business. I had to admit she was good at what she did and she was literally saving my ass by doing so. She took me to each one and they were happy to be introduced to me, by the time we were done, I had 10 new clients to work up contracts and ideas for. It was a wonderful day and for the first time since Sheryl died, I felt alive. On the ride back to the office, Jess went over what would be needed from her for the new clients. An idea formed in my head and her constant chattering gave me time to work it over without interruption.

After getting to the office, I went to my desk and Jess followed me giving me the necessary contract forms to fill out for each new client we acquired. As she turned around to leave my office, I cleared my throat.

"Jess, sit down for a moment I would like to speak to you about something." My voice had taken on a professional tone, letting her know this was serious and strictly business. She sat quietly and waited for me to speak. "I have an offer for you," I said moving some files around to keep my hands occupied. It was something I did when I was nervous and this was a huge decision I had made.

"What is it Jo?" She asked while watching me fidget. "You know you really need to get over that nervous habit of yours" I looked at her and she smiled. I knew she was trying to relax me.

"I want to offer you a partnership." I stated suddenly stilling my hands in front of me.

"A what?" She sat shocked, unbelieving her ears.

"You heard me Jess; I want to make you a full partner of the business. You deserve it. Your work over the past year as shown me exactly what you can do. I will have contractors come in and make you an office and I want you to put an ad in the paper to hire a secretary right away. You can share my office until yours is built. I can have your desk up here by tomorrow. That is if you accept my offer." I had rattled it all off so fast I could see she was having a time trying to keep up and digest all of it. She stood up, looked in my eyes for a moment, and simply excused herself.

I watched her walk out and disappear into the back of the building. I was confused. Wasn't this a good thing? Didn't she want to be more than a secretary? I knew she could do the work just as well as I could. She had done it while I took time off to arrange Sheryl's burial. I also knew that for many years she had taken courses, even though she had no idea I knew. I knew she wanted to be able to do the same thing at some time. So why was she walking away from me? Why wasn't she looking pleased, only shocked and disbelieving? I leaned back in my chair a moment; needing something to distract me for a while, I turned on the radio and caught the last end of a weather report. Something about snow coming our way. I brushed it off; we always had snow up here and today should be no different. I was just about to bring up some files on the computer when Jess walked back into my office.

"Are you serious?" She asked standing there in the doorway with her hands on her hips.

"Yes I am Jess."

"Ok, I accept then." She came in and sat in the chair again. "I already know who to hire to fill my position." I interrupted her

"Previous position"

She nodded and went on "Yes, well anyway. I want to hire Maria, the girl that served us today. I know she has the skills and she has the personality to deal with our customers, and she is a hard worker."

I nodded my head and took out a pad of paper writing down the girls name, then changed my mind and picked up the phone.

"Do you think she is home yet and do you have her number?" She rattled off the number by heart and I dialed the number. A young voice answered and I asked for Maria.

"This is her, can I help you?"

"Maria this is Jo Tanner at Corral designs. I understand you have training as an office secretary."

"Oh, yes Ms. Tanner, ummm I do," She sounded confused and she had a right to be.

"I would like to have a short meeting with you if you have time today." I told her as I wrote things down.

"I can be there in 10 minutes Ms. Tanner" She started to sound excited and I was pleased with being the one to cause it.

"Then I will see you in 10 minutes." I disconnected the call and then dialed the number to the office supply store I used. I ordered a desk just like mine and told them I wanted tomorrow or I would take my business elsewhere. They had one in stock and told me they would bring it this evening before I closed the office. I was pleased as pie, disconnected that call, and made one more call to my contractor. By the time I was done, I had a young woman waiting out in the outer office with Jess; I had a desk on the way and a contractor to show up the next morning to begin the work on Jess's office. I was quite pleased with myself. This was the way I use to be. I made a decision and it all came together as I wanted it to. I was never one to wait on things once I made my mind up. I sat back and took a moment to think about that. Once I made my mind up on something, I made it happen. That phrase kept going over in my head. Suddenly I slapped my hands on my desk and stood up. It was time to start living again. Time to get the business back on track where Sheryl and I had wanted it to go. It was time to live in the now, keeping her in my heart as she would want me to. It was time for the old Jo Tanner to come back in full force. God save the world I was back.

"Hello Maria," I said as I went into the outer office, holding out my hand to take hers. "I am so glad you could come at the last minute. Please come into my office." I looked at Jess "You too please." I led them both in the office and they each took a seat on the opposite side of my desk and me. After an hour of talking, we had a new secretary to start the next day. I told her I would talk to her boss at the restaurant and make sure he was not offended that I stole his best server away on such short notice. We were all pleased with the outcome of the meeting and Jess went to start cleaning out her desk, still in a state of shock that things were happening so quickly. She came into the office with boxes and set them to the side.

"I don't know why I had to do this now, when I am only going to be moving all this stuff again when the office is done." She complained as she set the boxes down.

"You are doing it now because it is going to be 2 weeks before the office is done the way I want it to be, and I can't afford to have you idle for two weeks. Not to mention that Maria is going to need a desk to work from as well. However, you will need to train her in her duties for the first few days I am sure." I recited off, knowing she was going to be asking why I was rushing things. I never looked up from my computer screen as I talked. I was in the middle of writing up a contract making her my partner and I didn't want to stop in the middle of it. She sighed and went out to get the rest of her stuff and left me to my work. The radio was still playing softly in the background as I typed away at my desk. I heard soft strains of a lovely voice singing about love and death. I closed my eyes for only a split second when the blaring alarm went off on the radio.

"This is a special announcement. A blizzard is sweeping across the state burying the land in tons of snow. We are putting Arrid County under a storm alert. Expect at the very least 5 feet of snow in some areas, especially in the mountain regions."

I looked up and out my window seeing that it had already started to snow and looked to be piling up quickly. I stood up to take a better look and couldn't believe how much had dropped without me even noticing. I walked around my desk and stepped into the outer office.

"Jess, have you looked outside lately?" I walked to the front door and pulled the curtain back. We had both been so busy, neither one of us thought to look outside once. Jess came over and looked around me, standing very close to me. The heat I felt from her could have melted all the snow outside. I breathed in slowly as I watched the snowfall.

"Wow, it really is piling up out there huh?" She whispered. I could feel her breath on my arm seeping through my shirt. "I should probably head home."

"I think you better yes," I looked at my watch it was just about quitting time anyway. "I will wait for your desk, if they get here, and have them put it in my office. I mean if all else fails I can ride the snowmobile home tonight."

She turned and put her hand on my arm smiling. "Now if they can't make it up tonight, don't go calling them up and yell at them" She laughed and went to get her coat and car keys. I walked her out to her Ford Ranger, helping her into it and then making sure the chains on her tires were secure before I would let her drive off. I watched her for a bit before I went back in the office looking something like a snowman.

I went back to my desk just as the phone rang; answering it, I heard the voice of the man at the office store, telling me that the deliverymen were just about there, the snow had made them run a little late. I was shocked that they were still going to make it. I thanked him and went out again to wait for them, by the time I got my coat back on I saw them driving up. The snow was falling even harder and I began to worry about Jess. The men jumped out of the truck and quickly began unloading the desk. Once they got it into my office I told them I could handle putting the rest together since it was going to be moved again anyway. Telling them to be careful going back I let them out, locked the door behind them, and turning the sign to let anyone fool enough to be out in this that I was now closed. The phone rang again, it was Maria thanking me again for hiring her on, and for the phone call I had made to her boss at the restaurant. We had a short pleasant conversation and hung up.

Well, I thought to myself. Should I be really anal about this and set her desk up now or just go home and take care of it tomorrow. No, it was time to go home or I might not make it up there tonight. I started shutting lights off when I heard someone banging on the front door. Now who in the world could be out in this mess, I asked myself as I walked to the door and opened it. There was Jess standing there covered in snow, soaked to the skin and shaking like a leaf.

"Oh my God Jess, "I said as I pulled her into the office. " What happened?"

"Car in a ditch... couldn't stop it... walked back here," She said through chattering teeth. I grabbed her, started pulling her wet coat off, replacing it with mine, and brought her to my chest to try to seep some of my warmth into her.

"Are you ok? I mean besides freezing, did you get hurt?" I asked looking over her.

"I think I broke my wrist, but I am so numb I can't feel the pain now." She whispered against my chest.

"Ok come on I am taking you to my house and I will call the Doctor. I doubt we will be able to get you anywhere tonight, but I am not too bad at wrapping if I need to." I tried to steer her back to the door but she stopped us.

"No Jo, it is ok. I can just stay here for the night and call triple A in the morning."

I looked at her as if she had two heads. She could not be serious. I shook my head and grabbed her again. "Shut up Jess, you are obviously delirious in this state." She tried to pull from me again but I grabbed her by her arms and looked into her eyes. "Jessica Jones, you are coming to my house and I am going to take care of you now shut up and get out to my jeep before we have to ride the snowmobile for five miles and me with no coat." This seemed to make her move and she finally stopped fighting me. I put her in my jeep and got in as well, firing it to life and put it in four-wheel drive. The ride was tricky but I managed to get it up the hill without getting us in a bad situation.

Getting her into the house finally, I took her coat off and handed her one of my robes. "Go in my room and get out of them wet clothes I will make you some hot coffee to get you warmed up." She just nodded once again and went to do what I told her. I went into the kitchen and looked in my fridge. Good thing I had just went shopping. I started the coffee and went to go check on her. It had been awhile since I had to knock on a door and I walked into my room not even thinking. There she stood naked from head to toe, just now picking up the robe. She gasped and pulled it in front of her to shield herself.

"Oh hell, Jess I am sorry" I said turning my head to give her a chance to put the robe on fully. "I just wanted to know if you were hungry"

"Not right now Jo" She said, and then touched my arm to let me know it was ok to look again. She was radiant. The robe was huge on her small frame, but it wrapped around her so nicely. Moreover, the site of a woman as attractive as her in my robe was something of a turn on to me. My body started responding to the sight and I was taken aback for a moment or two.

I swallowed visibly, the image must have touched her as she smiled and moved past me to the living room. I turned to follow her, stopping in the kitchen and made us both a cup of coffee. I brought them out to the living room where she was curled up on the couch. I sat the cup on the table and grabbed one of my extra blankets to lay over her.

"Is that better?" I asked as I sat on the opposite end of the couch. She moved her feet so that they went under my thigh and ass. I could feel the coldness seeping through my jeans.

"Yes it is thank you." She said as she took her cup and began to sip on the warm liquid. I could almost see how the warmth filled her up watching as normal coloring came back to her face and her hands stopped shaking.

"How is your wrist?" I asked as I noticed she held her cup with only one hand, tucking the other hand under the blanket.

"To tell you the truth, it hurts like hell."

I sat my own cup back down, moved closer to her, and lifted the blanket and pushing the arm of the robe back. It was starting to bruise, and swell badly. I touched it as carefully as possible. I thought she was going to jump through the roof, though she made no sound not even a whimper. I reached over to grab the phone, called my doctor, and told him what had happened. After doing what he asked, he determined it was probably broken but he could not be certain without x-rays. He told me to make a splint, wrap it and when the storm was over I could bring her in to have it looked at. I hung up the phone and went to get what I needed.

Setting the supplies down on the table, I saw her shiver again. I normally kept the house pretty cool, but I felt I had better try to warm this room up a little more so she wouldn't catch a cold. I went to my fireplace, built a fire, and by the time I was done, I had happy flames licking away at their fuel. A smile rewarded me for my efforts as I returned to her and went to work on splinting her wrist.