Bowstring and Steel: Ep. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes, mother. It's clear." Hanelor couldn't help but smile as she shared a glance with me.

"Your Majesty, are you assigning more soldiers to my detail? With all due respect, Hanelor and I can handle any brigand attacks along the way." The way she said it had me worried.

"No, Jon. You two are the detail in its entirety." She smiled. "Good luck, and Gods speed."

We both saluted. "Thank you, ma'am." I said as we turned and marched out towards the stables.

We got a couple fast horses. Hanelor fell in love with the roan that was brought forward for her. I had a black beast with the eyes of a demon, as far as I was concerned. I've never been a big supporter of equines. It's not that I hate horses. We just don't usually get along.

We mounted up, and my horse settled down, as if resigned to carrying me upon his back. He was a charger, and used to war and battle. I thought back to Denna's remark about us old warhorses and smiled. I patted his neck. "We're just a couple old warhorses, aren't we, boy?"

I swear the horse nodded his head in agreement.

We rode out from the palace and through the city. We passed through the Western Gate and into the countryside beyond. It was two days' ride to Treefall, then another day to Elaranan. We stopped for lunch at an inn about fifty miles outside of town, and to rest our horses. We had the stable hands give them a good rub-down while we ate inside. The ground beef sandwiches with cheese and bacon were amazingly good, and we complimented the cook. We also had a couple tankards of the local ale, which wasn't bad at all.

An hour later, and we were on the road again. My horse, Stormcloud, was better than most horses I'd ridden. He was an older gelding well versed in combat tactics and more than willing to carry any competent soldier on his back. Hanelor's horse, Red Devil, was a strawberry roan stallion with a firey temperament to match his coloring. Hanelor had little problems with him, though. She showed him right away who the boss was, and he accepted his role as her mount.

We rode at a canter for most of the trip, stopping just as the sun was setting over the farmlands. The inn was crowded, and we once again turned our horses over to the stablehands. We rented a room for the night, and were hailed as heroes by some of the locals who had served with us over the years. They had heard about our heroics at The Battle of Stone's Throw, as Hanelor had been proven right in naming it, and bought us round after round of beer.

My heritage and my relationship with Hanelor never even came into question. We were accepted. Among ths group of former soldiers and their families, Hanelor and I were accepted. It seemed that in the Human lands, at least, Elves, or at least me as a Half-Elf, were going to be accepted from now on... I hoped.

"We seen what ya did at Sullen Gully, Ranger." One of the locals said. "That was some heavy fightin'."

"Not as heavy as Heretic Mountain, friends." Another local told us. He was, like Hanelor, a former Paladin of Harsk. He told us he left the Order to pursue his first love of Farming. He had married, and his new wife was a cute redhead from a neighboring farm. "I was part of Marshal Brennan's phalanx there."

"No shit! Brennan gave us a great opening during the push to the summit that allowed the Rangers to get behind the Ogres and slice them a new one!" I raised my tankard to him and his unit. "You lost a lot of good men and women that day, friend."

"We all did, Ranger, but it was worth it in the end." He clanked his tankard with mine. There are some bonds forged in the fires of battle that can never be broken. Heretic Mountain was one such bond. Sullen Gully and Stone's Throw were others. Those battles were key to turning the tide and ultimately winning the war.

As our drinking wound down and our new friends left, Hanelor and I went upstairs to our room and undressed. We were tired from the day on the road, and drew baths in the tubs provided. We soaked and held hands for a good long while, letting the aches of the day flow out of us.

When we were finished and had drained our bathwater, we towelled dry and fell into the bed together. We held each other and kissed lovingly. We were both exhausted, and fell asleep in each other's arms.

The next morning, after my routine of 100 pushups and reciting the Creed, we got dressed and proceeded to check out before retrieving our horses and getting on the road again. We rode together slowly, taking our time as we talked.

"I've never been to Treefall, Jon." Hanelor admitted. I looked at the forest we were in now.

"You see these trees, sweetheart? Well, the trees in Treefall are even larger. The leaves are greener, and the trunks are as big around as a small hill." I smiled at the memories of my home.

"It sounds beautiful, my love." She smiled at me.

"We will be at the outskirts of the Kingdom by nightfall, Hanelor. Then another day to the Capital of Elaranan where my folks live." I shrugged.

We rode on in companionable silence, which reminded me of how we had first met after Denna's Rangers had been teamed with Jalin's Paladins over five years back. We had first talked that day as we'd ridden out. She had taught me how to gain my horse's respect so it didn't keep trying to throw me. I listened to her, and had gained control of my mount.

"Do you remember when we first became friends?" I asked.

"Shortly after the Tiger Strike Team was formed, unless you have some other time in mind?" Hanelor smiled and raised her eyebrow.

"When you taught me how to control a horse." I smiled back. We reached across and squeezed each other's hand.

"Yes!" Hanelor laughed. "You were so scared!"

"I wasn't scared! I just didn't like horses." I nodded sagely. She laughed even harder at that.

We rode onward, spurring our horses into a canter. We found the Inn just inside the marked boundary for the Kingdom of Treefall, and two Elven guards posted at the checkpoint. They looked us over, sneering at my 'mongrel' features and with outright disdain for Hanelor. Elven feelings about halfbreeds and Humans were nearly as bad as in the central Empire. I let it slide off of me as usual.

"Who might you be?" One guard asked, his voice dripping with disdain.

"Master Sergeant Jonathan Hawke of the 1st Rangers, formerly attached to Tiger Strike Team, and veteran of Stone's Throw." I handed him my identification packet as well, keeping my voice even.

"And who is your companion?" He asked, looking at the fully armored Hanelor with her visor down.

She lifted her visor and let him see the coldness in her eyes that matched his own. "I am Hanelorina la Cionan, Princess of the Empire and former Paladin of Harsk. I am also a veteran of Stone's Throw and countless other battles at the side of Master Sergeant Jonathan Hawke, as part of Tiger Strike Team." She had the voice of command and caused the Elven guard's eyes to widen. He bowed immediately.

"Y..your Highness. My apologies, ma'am!" The guard bowed.

"I'm not the one in need of your apologies, guard. Master Sergeant Hawke is an Imperial Ranger, and you will treat him with the respect due his rank and station. Is that clear?" She asked archly. I'd never seen her pull rank before, but damn!

"Personally, I don't care, Hanelor. Words aren't going to change his opinion of a 'mongrel', even if that mongrel's mother is Cariana Windspire." I shrugged.

"M...m...my apologies, Ranger. I didn't realize..." He stammered.

"Don't worry about it, guard. I'm used to it from the Elves and even some Humans. It's just a shame that Elves would lower themselves to base racism." I said.

"As you say, Ranger. Once again, you have my apologies." He bowed and let us pass.

We rode in and turned off the road at the inn. We handed off our horses to the stableboy, who didn't care if I was a halfbreed. He smiled and asked me about being a Ranger.

"It's hard training, son." I told him. "But by the end of it, you know you're the best of the best." I smiled at him as he perked up his pointed ears at what I had said.

"I want to be a Ranger then!" He exclaimed. He couldn't have been older than 15.

"The war's over, son. But if you wish to join, you'll have to make the trip to Arethias Castle and join the Imperial Army. Then you will have to apply for Ranger training after your basic is over and done. The minimum age is 18, though." I put a hand on his shoulder.

"Then in four years' time, I will be a Ranger. Thank you, Sergeant Hawke." He smiled.

"Anytime, son. What's your name?" I asked.

"Forlas." He replied.

"Forlas, I have a feeling you're going to make a damn good Ranger. Train hard, hone your body and mind. But don't neglect your duties here." I told him with a smile. The kid had promise.

"Thank you, Sergeant. I will take your advice." He nodded and smiled back, then turned to rubbing down our horses.

Hanelor was smiling as I turned to her and we walked towards the inn door. "Does he really have what it takes, Jon?" She asked.

"He reminds me of me at his age, shirila." I leaned over and kissed her. "I was just as wide-eyed and eager to serve my Empire as he is."

"And now look at you. Ten years in, and you are still serving your Empire, but not quite as wide-eyed as you once were." She said as I opened the door for her. We entered the inn together.

"Welcome, travellers!" The innkeeper greeted us. "I am Baldros, and you are always welcome here, Ranger and Warrior." He bowed.

"We're going to need a good meal and a room for the night, Baldros." I nodded at him.

"Of course, Ranger." He bowed again and turned to his wife. He spoke in quick Low Elvish to her. "Roasted venison steaks, potatoes, and tankards of beer for our guests."

"Sounds wonderful, Baldros." I spoke in High Elvish. It had been quite a while since I'd had the oppotunity to use my birth language.

"Ah, you speak the Elvish tongue. It is a.... surprise." He said back in Arathian.

"Why is that a surprise? I was raised in Elaranan, not in Arethor itself." I raised an eybrow at him.

"It's just... well... you're coming from the east and all." He faltered.

"Baldros, I am well aware of what most Elves think of those like me. Us halfbreeds are people too, just like Elves and Humans. May I introduce Hanelorina la Cionan, Princess of the Empire, and my shirilara." I said, and I watched as first shock, then disgust, then a mask of good cheer flashed across his face in a fast moment. He excused himself and went back to the kitchen to see if our food was ready yet.

"Shirilara?" Hanelor whispered to me.

"'Most sacred heart', Hanelor. You are, and I love you." I whispered back with a smile. She smiled radiantly at me in return.

"I love you too, Jon." She kissed me lovingly, and I returned her kiss just as tenderly.

We found a good table and sat where we would have full view of the door.

It was only a few moments before our host reappeared with his tray of food and drinks. He set our tankards down first, then the venison steaks with potatoes. He handed us knives, forks, and napkins.

"Thank you, Baldros." I said and gave him a gold Imperial for the food and the room. His eyes widened at that and he handed me fifty silver Crowns in return change. I slid twenty of those back to him. "Your tip, sir. Is Forlas your son?"

"He is, yes. He's a good boy. He didn't cause you any trouble, did he?" Baldros seemed a bit nervous.

Hanelor chuckled. "No, Baldros. He expressed his interest to Jon here about becoming an Imperial Ranger."

"He did? I've told him that is just a fool's dream!" Baldros frowned in anger.

"Forlas reminds me of myself at his age, Baldros. He's a good kid, and would make a good Ranger." I told him. "When he turns 18, his life will be his to decide. For the record, I warned him that the training would be hard."

Baldros thought about that. "Very well, Ranger. As long as he is aware of the dangers, then the choice will be his." He bowed to us and left us to our meal.

We ate and talked about our upcoming meeting with my parents and whoever was High Prince of Elaranan now. It would probably still be Selora's father, which would make things... tense, and I warned Hanelor of that. "He hates me, Hanelor. Selora and I pledged each other in secret, but when he discovered it, he banned me from ever seeing her again."

I had never made a secret of Selora to her. Back when we were simply friends and comrades, I had eventually told her everything about my first love.

"That could get complicated. But we're just there to escort your mother and father to Arethias Castle. It shouldn't be that bad." Hanelor placed her hand on mine in reassurance.

"I hope you're right, sweetheart." I smiled nervously.

"I know I'm right, my love. Now, let's go to sleep. We should be up by dawn to make the trip before nightfall." She was now the voice of reason, since for the first time in over a decade, I was more nervous than I had been in any of the battles I had fought in during the war.

"Good plan, Hanelor. Let's go." I grinned and we went upstairs after telling the innkeeper that we were finished with our meal.

When we got to our room and locked the door behind us, we undressed and fell into bed together. We made love long and slow that night, just enjoying the feel of each other's bodies more than trying to bring each other to orgasm. We came together at the end, and fell asleep in each other's arms.

I awoke before the sun and did my morning routine. As I finished reciting the Creed, I was now more focused on what would be needed of me when we reached the Capital. Hanelor rose shortly after I did, and performed a sword kata while naked. Her movements were fluid and quick with the Dragonsteel broadsword. It was perfectly balanced and lighter than her old Paladin's broadsword, making her movements even more fluid than previously possible.

We washed and dressed again, and went down to breakfast. The place was hopping with some Elves who were on their way to The Kingdom of Southern Cross to the south. They were pleasant enough, though some gave me and Hanelor an unpleasant, disapproving glare. We took it in stride, and made our way out to the stable after turning in our key to Baldros. We thanked him for the room and meals, and he graciously told us to return when we passed this way again.

Forlas grinned when he saw us approaching the stables, and brought our steeds out for us. I gave him ten silver as a tip, and he thanked me profusely.

Once astride our horses, we rode west again, our rucksacks once more slung behind our saddles. We rode like the wind for a while as the horses were chomping at the bit to let us give them some reign. We made good time that day, and only stopped to water our horses twice.

Elaranan came into view as the sun sank down the sky in the late afternoon. I heard Hanelor gasp at the sight of my hometown. "It's beautiful, Jon!" She exclaimed softly. Her eyes were wide and her mouth gaped a bit in a stunned smile as she saw the towering tree buildings of Elaranan, Capital City of the Kingdom of Treefall.

"Welcome to my hometown, Hanelor." I smiled at her lovingly. "As an official Emissary of the Empire, you now have Diplomatic status here." I informed her.

"What?" She looked at me, surprised.

"I believe your mother said your new title was 'Shield of the Empire', or something like that." I grinned at the shock on her face.

"WHAT?!?!" She demanded, anger flaring in her blue eyes.

"Calm down, shirila. It was meant as a surprise. You have to have Diplomatic status for escorting Ambassadors and their families. Since she knew you would come with me, she conferred that title on you and told me to tell you when we arrived here." I explained.

Hanelor calmed down and closed her eyes with a sigh. "Ok, I can see how that would have been difficult otherwise. I also see why she waited until we were gone to have you spring that news on me."

"Yeah, she explained it to me when I wanted to tell you right away." I shrugged.

"Mother was right not to tell me sooner. Ugh, she can be maddening!" Hanelor was laughing at the irony now.

"I believe you, sweetheart." I smiled as we rode into town. More than a few of my kin were watching us warily. Two heavily armed Diplomats weren't an everyday thing in Elaranan.

"Haltaor!" I pulled up on my horse and Hanelor had done the same. The lessons in Elvish I was giving her were paying off.

"Master Sergeant Jonathan Hawke and Shield of the Empire Hanelorina la Cionan requesting permission to speak to the High Prince." I announced us to the guards holding us at arrowpoint. "Also, my mother and father, Cariana Windspire and Brandar Hawke."

"The High Princess will see you, Master Sergeant." The familiar voice said. We dismounted and gave our horses into the care of two Elven Commandos as a third strode towards us.

"Jalans!" I embraced my oldest friend.

"Good to see you, Jon!" He replied. "We've heard of your exploits here from the war."

"A Commando now! I thought you were going to follow me into the Rangers!" I was grinning ear to ear. Then I heard Hanelor remove her helm behind me. "Jalans, this is my shirilara, Hanelor. Hanelor, this is Jalans Stormcalled, my best friend and Blood Brother."

"Good to meet you, Jalans." Hanelor clasped his arm as one warrior to another.

"And you, Hanelor. We've heard that you stood with my Brother through the war, always at his back and by his side. For that, I thank you." He bowed low to her and removed his helmet. His golden hued hair fell about his shoulders.

"We stand as more than comrades now, Brother." I slipped my hand into Hanelor's and our fingers laced together.

"She is your shirilara, Brother." Jalans looked worried. "The High Princess will not be pleased."

"The High... PrincESS?" I asked, surprised.

"Shovras died last year, Brother. Selora has succeeded her father as ruler of Treefall." He informed us. "Come, though. Your mother and father are waiting at the Heart Tree, as is your.. umm, Selora."

"She isn't my shirila anymore, Jal." I said as we followed him. "I haven't been here in over ten years."

"She has never Pledged since you left, Jon. I believe she was hoping for your return." He confided in us. Jalans has always been a Blood Brother, our blood joined by knife and hand clasp. Since we took the Brother Oath as children.

"What does he mean, Jon? Will she try to get you to...?" She left the question hanging.

"I don't think so, sweetheart. She wouldn't dare." I said. "She rules here, but we have Diplomatic Status."

"She may call upon the Pledge Oath, Jon." Jalans said as we got closer to the Heart Tree.

"Gods no." I sighed. "Please dear Gods no."

"What's the Pledge Oath, Jon?" Hanelor looked worried, and for good reason.

"I told you about when Selora and I gave each other our virginity. We did so under the Pledge Oath that we would Bind ourselves in wedlock. But it hasn't been enforced in millenia!" I said the last mostly to Jalans.

"It's still on the scrolls, Jon. I'm sorry, Brother." Jal put his hand on my shoulder.

"It's not your fault, Jal. I just pray that Selora doesn't invoke it." I sighed again and squeezed Hanelor's hand reassuringly.

"If she does invoke it, is there any way to interfere, Jal?" Hanelor asked.

"None without causing war between Treefall and the rest of the Empire, Hanelor." He shrugged at her apologetically.

"Shirilara, the Pledge Oath, when invoked and enforced, is still sacred among the Elves. As is my Blood Bond with Jalans here. I would kill anyone who drew blade against him, as he would kill any who drew blade against me." I told her. We looked forward and saw my parents talking with Selora.

"Time to face the music, my love." Hanelor said with a tense tone to her voice.

As we approached, Selora and my parents turned to look at us. I held Hanelor's hand in mine proudly as we strode forward.