Bus Stop Romance

Story Info
You never know who you will meet at the bus stop.
6.2k words
4.82
93.9k
139
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
GatorRick
GatorRick
768 Followers

I was working as a teaching assistant for William Grey, Ph.D, a sport psychologist, at the University of Florida. My small office is adjacent to his across the street from the football stadium. There is absolutely no parking available close to my office. So I park my car in a commuter lot off campus and ride the bus in to work every day.

The office closes at three-thirty and, if the weather is nice, I usually go enjoy the afternoon sun and wait at the bus stop for the 4 PM bus.

Oh my gosh. There he was, slowly coming down the street towards me. Only now he was on crutches instead of in a wheel chair. I hadn't seen him in over two weeks and had some sense of loss even though I didn't even know his name.

He is a young Marine. When I first saw him both legs were covered in heavy bandages. Now only the right leg was bandaged. I could see that he was having a difficult time navigating the sloping sidewalk. When he managed to get to the bus bench, I smiled up at him. Scooting over I nodded to him offering the seat next to me.

It was but a few minutes later when the bus arrived. I helped him to his feet as the bus driver lowered the wheelchair lift to make it easier for him to board with his crutches. The bus wasn't too crowded with students and we found seats toward the front.

At the next stop, I sighed as a guy I went out with once, got on.

Brian McDonnell was a jerk and a bully. He didn't take it kindly when I refused to go out with him again. He was making my life miserable when I spoke to my family about him one night at supper. When I told them that he had grabbed me in the hallway at school, my older brother, Patrick, said he would take care of things.

Actually, Patrick is not really my brother. He's my cousin. My dad's sister and her husband were killed in an accident when I was four and Patrick came to live with us. Patrick was five and my real older brother, Shawn, was six at the time.

Shawn said he would make sure that none of Brian's friends would interfere when Patrick spoke with him. I don't know any of the details of what happened, but Brian stopped bothering me. In fact, every time he saw me he turned and walked the other way.

Now here he was striding toward me with a big smirk on his face. Plopping down in the seat across the aisle he started in about wanting to have a 'good time' with me.

I told him I wasn't interested and I was perfectly happy with my boyfriend. When he persisted I reminded him of what happened a few years ago.

"Well, so what," he replied. Patrick ain't around, so I heard. Out of the country ain't he?"

"That's true. But Shawn isn't. Now leave me and my boyfriend alone."

That and the healthy poke from the end of a crutch pushing into his chest from my seat companion shut him up for the moment.

"Come on, honey, this is our stop," I said getting up and assisting my seat mate to his feet.

As we left the bus we heard Brian yell, "this ain't over yet, asshole."

"Well, that was interesting," he said once we alighted from the bus. "Since I'm your boyfriend, shouldn't I know a few things about you?"

"Like what," I asked?

"Your name for starters and when did I become your boyfriend?"

"Fair enough. My name is Mary Kathryn Murphy. Almost everyone calls me Murphy or Murph. My brothers and closest friends call me MK. Only my mom and dad call me Mary Kathryn. You became my 'boyfriend' about five minutes ago. I'm sorry if that bothers you."

"Hey. I kinda like the idea of having a 'girlfriend'. Especially one as pretty as you and I kinda like the name, Mary Kathryn."

"Oh. Flattery will get you everywhere. By the way what's your name?"

"Ok. Fair enough. I'm Frederick Mann. It was shortened from Mannheim by my grandfather when he came to this country after World War II. But I go by Rick to friends and foe alike."

"You wait on this bench, under the shade trees, while I go get my car and I'll take you home since I kinda forced you off the bus," I told him. "I'll only be a moment."

When I retrieved my car and drove to where Rick was waiting I realized he would never be able to sit the front seat of my Mustang with his leg all bandaged up. After parking the car I said to him, "let's go to that restaurant across the street and wait while I make some alternate arrangements for getting you home."

After being seated and ordering a couple of drinks, I searched my purse for my cell phone. Finding it, I hit speed dial for my dad. After explaining the situation I asked him if he could help me out.

"No problem, sweetie. Where are you?"

I answered him and he continued. "Sit tight, I'll have Henry run over with something for you to use."

"Thanks, daddy." I replied. "I owe you one."

"Oh no, Mary Kathryn. You owe me a lot more than one," he said, laughing, as he ended the call.

Looking at his watch Rick said. "As long as we're here why don't we have some dinner? My treat . . . 'girlfriend'."

We had just finished ordering when Henry walked up to me with a set of keys. "Blue Lincoln Navigator. Parked out front," he said to me with a grin on his face. "Gonna introduce your boyfriend to me?"

After the introductions I handed over the keys to my Mustang and thanked him for helping me out.

Turning back to Rick, I said, "you know he is going to report every last detail about you back to my dad."

"Is that a bad thing," he asked? "And what's this thing with the car swap?"

I explained to him that my dad owned the Ford-Lincoln dealership in town. "It's the largest one in North Central Florida," I proudly replied.

I gave him a short history of my family and continued telling him about myself during dinner. We sat there enjoying each other's company for the next two hours before I took him to his home.

When I pulled into his driveway all I could say was, "Wow! What a nice house. You know, I only live a couple of miles from here."

"Would you like to come in for some coffee?"

Once inside he said to me. "While I start the coffee call your folks and let them know where you are so they won't worry."

As we sat over our coffee I tried to find out more about him. He was very skilled in turning the conservation back around to me.

I thought to myself, here's a guy who is more interested in me than about listening to himself. What a change from the other guys I ever dated.

I did manage to find out that he had inherited the house from his parents after their death in a traffic accident five years ago. They were returning from the ceremony celebrating his promotion from second to first lieutenant when their car was struck by an out of control, fully loaded semi-truck.

When he started to choke up talking about them, I reached across the table and grabbed his hand. Squeezing it, I said, "I'm so sorry. You needn't go on if it's painful dredging up the memories."

"No. I actually feel better about it when I have someone to talk about it with."

When he finished giving me the details we just sat there for several minutes without saying another word. Then he turned the conservation back around to me.

Around ten o'clock we heard a distant rumble of thunder and he said, "you better get along home before this storms breaks."

As we walked out to my car the first few drops of rain began falling. Before closing my door he said with a smile, "be careful. It looks like it's going to be a bad one. I wouldn't want anything to happen to my . . . ahh . . . my 'girlfriend' especially on the first day I've met her."

Just as I pulled out of the driveway there was a flash of lightening and a loud clap of thunder. The rain came down in buckets making it difficult to see even with the wipers going full blast. A five minute trip turned into a fifteen minute one.

Standing in the rain, Rick watched her car until the taillights disappeared before going inside. Stripping off his wet clothes he toweled off and checked to see if the bandage on his leg was dry. Thankfully, it was. Putting on a t-shirt and a pair of shorts he went back to the phone Mary Kathryn had used and hit the redial button.

A woman answered and he said, "Hello, Mrs. Murphy. I'm Rick, Rick Mann. Mary Kathryn left just before this storm hit. Would you ask her to call me so I know she got home safely?"

She replied, "certainly. What's your number?"

Before he could reply she said, "wait a moment I think I hear her coming in right now."

Chapter Two

Walking into the kitchen from the garage I saw mom on the phone. When she saw me she said, "it's that young man, Rick. He's worried about you driving in this storm. Here take the phone and talk to him."

After assuring him that I was ok we spent the next half hour talking to each other. Ok, I admit it. I did most of the talking while he listened. Finally, I thought to ask him how he got to campus every day. He told me he took a taxicab or a neighbor would drop him at a bus stop on his way to work.

"Well, 'boyfriend' of mine, what time should I pick you up tomorrow morning? Can't have you taking cabs or depending on neighbors."

So at seven-thirty Thursday morning I arrived at his home, parked and got out.

After helping him get in the front seat I explained to him I would drop him at Van Fleet Hall, the ROTC Headquarters, and then drive to the commuter lot and take the bus back to campus.

"That won't be necessary," he said, handing me a campus parking permit. "Put this in the lower left hand corner of the windshield. It allows you to park in the faculty lot next to Van Fleet. It's just one of the perks for being an instructor in the ROTC program."

When I drove into the faculty lot by Van Fleet Hall, Rick directed me to a parking spot. The sign read, 'Reserved - Captain Frederick Mann, USMC'. The Health and Human Performance building, where I worked, was a short half block walk away.

"I am finished at three-thirty today. What time do you want to leave this afternoon?" I asked, while helping him from the front seat.

"Three-thirty works just fine for me," he replied, giving me a quick kiss before heading inside.

Wow! I didn't see that coming.

Friday afternoon while driving Rick home I told him that my mom would love for him to come over for Sunday dinner after church.

"Is this going to be the 'Inquisition'?" he asked with a smile on his face.

"You have nothing to worry about," I replied. "Mom stopped using the thumb screws last year."

"Ok. I'll be there on two conditions. First, will you go to the football game with me tomorrow? I have tickets. And then dinner afterwards? Second, will you allow me to accompany you to church Sunday morning?"

"Oh. Tough decisions to make. I have to think about it for awhile. Ok. Thought about it long enough. Yes and yes!"

Driving to the football game the next day I remarked that parking would be a hassle.

"I'll try to get as close to the stadium as I can to drop you off so you won't have too far to walk," I told Rick.

"Not to worry," he replied.

As we approached the road in front of the stadium he told me to turn into it. Of course, the road was blocked with barriers with a police officer standing there.

When he walked over to the car to tell us, in all likelihood, that we could not enter Rick handed me an envelope and told me to to give it to him. The officer took the envelope from me and read the note inside it. Handing it back, he gestured to two other men to move the barricade.

"Drive ahead and turn at the first entrance on the right. Another officer will direct you to your parking space," he instructed.

As we pulled forward the police officer said something into his radio. "He's here . . . blue Lincoln Navigator . . . pretty red-hair girl driving. I'll notify them upstairs of his arrival."

As I pulled into the parking lot another police officer directed me to an empty space right in front of the stadium entrance. As I helped Rick from the car, a golf cart pulled up with a young woman driving.

"Hi. I'm Susan Thompson and I'll be assisting you to your seats."

We climbed in and off we went across the street to the stadium. She brought the golf cart to a stop in front of an elevator. We got in and she produced a key that allowed her to select a button labeled 'BHG Box'.

The entire series of events had left me speechless. "Rick, you are so full of surprises. I thought you told me you had bought two tickets to the game."

He replied, "I think I what I said was 'I had' two tickets. They were given to me by a close friend of my dad. The stadium is named after him."

"The Swamp?" I asked, not quite comprehending what was going on.

"No silly, Ben Hill Griffin. He and my dad grew up together. When mom and dad were killed he told me he would be there for me if I ever needed him."

All I could say was, "WOW!!!"

The game was great. Our team, the Gators, won by a score of 41 to 6. Afterward, we went to dinner at a really nice restaurant to celebrate the victory.

The following morning we attended the ten o'clock service at church and then went to my home for the promised Sunday afternoon lunch and 'interrogation'.

Actually, it wasn't as traumatic as Rick had expected. In addition to mom and dad, my older brother, Shawn and his wife, Barbara, were present as well.

After lunch, the three guys adjourned into dad's study for a drink and to watch some Sunday afternoon football on TV. Mom, Barbara and I went into the kitchen to clean up.

As soon as the guys were out of the dining room they started in on me.

"My God, he's adorable. Where ever did you find him," Barbara asked? "Come on, we want all the juicy details."

I proceeded to tell them 'all the juicy details' as Barbara had so boldly asked for.

Mom just listened for a while and then asked, "what happened to his leg?"

"I really don't know," I answered. "Every time I bring it up, he just says it happened in Afghanistan and changes the subject. I do know he goes over to the VA hospital on Monday, Wednesday and Friday to have the dressing changed. I'm not going to pry. If he wants to tell me, he will. If he doesn't want to tell me it's not going to affect how I feel toward him."

"And how do you feel about him," mom asked?

"I like him, I like him a lot. And I think that 'like' might be fast turning into love."

On the ride back to Rick's house that afternoon he told me how much he liked and respected my dad.

"For a guy that has made himself such a success he's really down to earth about it. Your brother Shawn is the same. I think he and I could become real good friends."

Hearing that thrilled me no end. He liked my family.

Later Sunday evening, after I returned home, daddy said to me. "Mary Kathryn come into the living room and sit down with your mom and me." Then he went on to tell me how much he was impressed with Rick, all the while mom was nodding her head in agreement.

"He's a fine young man. Your brother and I really, really like him. I hope we see a lot more of him."

"I hope so, too, daddy. I hope so, too."

Chapter Three

Monday morning, on the drive to campus, I told Rick how much I enjoyed the entire weekend. When we arrived on campus he asked me if I would pick him up around four that afternoon from the VA hospital. He told me that one of the other officers at the ROTC unit would be giving him a ride over for his 9 AM appointment.

"Sure see you then. Is everything all right with your leg," I asked?

"I'm not sure. They want to do some tests this morning. I tell you more when I see you this afternoon. Please don't worry about me," he said, giving me another quick kiss good-bye.

Naturally, when he said that all kinds of alarm bells started going off in my head. I spent the rest of the day worrying. Around three o'clock my cell phone rang. Caller ID identified Rick as the caller.

"Are you alright? Is everything ok?" I asked him.

I heard him sigh deeply and then he told me, "please come to the VA right now and use the valet parking. I'll meet you in the lobby."

I quickly closed the office and drove to the hospital all the while imagining the worst. Turning the car over to the valet, I ran into the lobby and saw Rick sitting in a wheelchair. He saw me, smiled and beckon me over.

When he saw the frantic look on my face and the tears streaming down my cheeks he grabbed me and pulled me onto his lap.

"Don't cry. It's not that bad. The doctor wants to go over the results of the tests they did today and I wanted you with me to hear what he has to say, just in case."

With that an orderly came over and told us the doctor was ready to see him. I got up from Rick's lap and the orderly wheeled him away, with me following.

When we were shown into the doctor's office he got up and came around the desk, smiled and said to Rick. "I have some good news and some not so good news. What would you like to hear first?"

"Let's start with the not so good news first," Rick replied.

"Ok," he answered. "You need more surgery. I scheduled it for the day after tomorrow."

"Now for the good news. It will be the last surgery you'll need and it can be done on an out-patient basis. Once you recover and go through physical therapy you should regain near one hundred percent use of your leg."

After hearing that news both of us heaved a big sigh of relief. The doctor went on to say that Rick needed to be at the hospital at 5 AM Wednesday morning. No solid food after five o'clock Tuesday evening and then only clear fluids until 10 PM.

He told us that the procedure should be completed before noon and Rick could expect to go home around two in the afternoon.

"You'll need someone to stay with you for the first twenty-four hours after the surgery just for precautionary reasons," he explained. "Here's a list of home health care providers. Select one and make arrangements."

I took the list and said to Rick, "I'll handle this for you."

At four-fifteen Wednesday morning I picked Rick up for the ride to the hospital.

We arrived and I dropped him off at the entrance to the surgical unit. After parking my car I walked back and found him still waiting in the reception area.

"What are you doing back here," he asked?

"You think I was going to leave you here all alone? Rick, I know we have teased each other about this 'boyfriend, girlfriend' thing. But I think it's time for the teasing to stop. You are more than just my 'boyfriend'. I'm staying with you until they kick me out and then I'll be waiting until the surgery is finished.

Just then a nurse appeared with a wheelchair for him. As she pushed him to the prep room I followed behind with his crutches. The anesthetist allowed me to stay for a few moments as he inserted the I.V.

Giving Rick a quick kiss and hug I said, "I'll see you in Recovery before you know it, honey." Then I left to wait until his surgery was completed.

A little after ten o'clock the surgeon came out to the waiting room. I stood as he approached, he smiled at me and said, "everything went just fine. No complications whatsoever. Captain Mann is being moved into a Recovery room and you can go back to wait with him as regains consciousness."

Gathering my things I followed him back to Recovery. I sat in a chair right next to Rick's bed, holding his hand, as he gradually came out from under the anesthesia.

It was well after one in the afternoon before we were finally able to leave the hospital with instructions to return on Friday at 2 PM to see the doctor once more.

I ran ahead and retrieved my car and two nurses helped me get Rick into the back seat so he could stretch his leg out. We put a wheel chair into the back of the SUV and off we went.

I knew I would need help in getting him out of the back seat when we arrived at his home, so I called my brother Shawn. He said he would meet us there and not to worry. When I drove up to Rick's house Shawn was there as well as my dad.

GatorRick
GatorRick
768 Followers
12