Buster's Story Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Jaisen
Jaisen
691 Followers

"Aye Papa." Quintus hugged Brian and the two men headed off to bed.

*

The two weeks passed quickly. After the initial astonishment of Marie's wedding and Libellue, everyone began to plan the celebration. Jenny, Tilly and Georgina tried to keep Natalie off of her feet although it didn't work well. It was like Natalie couldn't catch up from the strain of the trip.

"Maman, you stay here, mind the clinic. Jus paperwork today. We go cook that elk Papa and Uncle Kent kill," said Jenny. She gave her maman a look that would have done Celia proud.

"Jenny, I stay. Jus' don' understand why I so tired."

"Mebbe you nearly 60? Run round like you 16? Never take no day off? I do half what you do and am tired. Jus' rest. We take care this," said Jenny kissing her on the head.

"Aye."

Jenny closed the door and headed for the big cabin where Tilly and Georgina were cooking. She grabbed her apron and started on the bread that had been left to raise.

"Is she going to rest?" Tilly asked. After nearly twenty years, she still had her Devonshire accent.

"Aye. Don' know why she so tired. I'm worried," said Jenny.

"Maybe Andre can check her out when they get here," said Georgina.

"Aye. Can't wait see that Libellue," said Jenny. The celebration was set for tomorrow night. Marie and Andre were due in later that afternoon. Quintus and family had arrived yesterday. It had been so good to hear all of the cousins yelling and playing in the big meadow. It had been fortuitous as well, for in the last day or so, three of the teens had shifted for the first time. Some of the men were out with them, while others hunted game for the tables.

"Hey! You always so quiet?" Lizzybit called from the door. She had Margaret in tow.

"Lizzybit!" cried Jenny. "When this one due?"

"Next March." Lizzybit patted her growing stomach.

Jenny picked up her granddaughter and gave her a hug. Then she pointed out all the cousins playing out in the meadow. Margaret looked to her mother and than ran. Jenny smiled. "Good to see you. Did that Jelka and Alexander come with you two?"

"Aye. They talk with Kent and Brian at the mill. David is with them. I brought supplies from Calgary and plum wine," said Lizzybit.

"Good. Now show us what you bring," said Jenny.

The afternoon was interrupted by more arrivals. When Jelka came in with the twins, everything stopped. At eight, the twins were quiet like Jelka and it took a bit to get them to go out and play with their cousins. Jelka's English had improved and the women chatted away.

Natalie came home once the clinic had finished. She greeted all the new arrivals and then was ensconced in a rocker to hold Alice and Jacque's granddaughter Ann. Jelka was happy to see Natalie and the two women chatted while the rest worked. Children ran in and out of the door so much that people stopped noticing who it was. Whichever child came in was handed a sweet biscuit and then sent outside.

"Grand-mere! Grand-mere!" cried a soft voice.

"Out you go..." Jenny stopped mid-sentence when she realized that the tiny little girl was not one of the regular crowd running in and out. She bent down to be eye to eye with her and was astonished by the big gray eyes.

"Libellue?" Jenny asked holding out a peanut butter biscuit.

"Aye," Libellue said with a smile.

"I'm your Aunt Jenny."

"Aye. You smell like Mama. She and Papa are outside with Grand-pere."

By this point, everyone in the kitchen had turned to see who had come in the door. Libellue gave Jenny a kiss for the biscuit and then walked over to Natalie and Jelka.

"Ah, Libellue," said Natalie hugging her tiny granddaughter while balancing Ann on the other knee. "This is your cousin, Ann and this is Jelka.

Libellue looked from her cousin to Jelka and then stepped forward to Jelka and wrapped her tiny arms around the slightly startled woman. Jelka returned the hug.

"You are like Mama. Sad and happy all the same," said Libellue.

"Aye," replied Jelka.

"You smell like the big tall man."

"Aye, that is my Aleksandr."

"He gave me a prezzie," said Libellue. She pulled a chain with a wolf paw locket on it out of her pocket.

"Aye. That my Aleksandr. Here we put it on," said Jelka. A moment later, the necklace was on and Libellue was outside playing with her cousins.

"That one ver strange little girl," said Lizzybit.

"Aye. Ver smart too. You think she read minds?" asked Jenny.

"I think so. She know before we get there that her Papa is coming. Scared the hell out of Marie with it," said Natalie. She was smiling because once Libellue hugged Jelka, the woman had been smiling. "She's magic."

*

The party started out with Brian and Natalie thanking everyone for traveling home to the Valley. Then he picked up Libellue, who had become the darling of everyone she met. He let her introduce her Mama and Papa. After that, the newly shifted teens were welcomed. Then the congratulations, and conversations began as food was served.

"Such a pretty baby."
"Glad you found her."

"So good to see you again!"

"When did you get so old?"

"When did you get so rude?"

The conversations ebbed and flowed as people walked around visiting. Raphael, Tomas and Pierre began to play fiddles and accordion. Strains of Red River floated across the party.

"Marie, will you dance with me?" Andre asked.

"Aye." She smiled and lead him out onto the wooden dance floor. As she dance to the Metis fiddle music, she watched the others dance as well. "Look," she said pointing to Alexander and Jelka.

"What?"

"Libellue is in their arms as they dance."

Andre looked and then smiled. His daughter had wormed her way into everyone's heart, especially Jelka's. "She's like Jelka and that other one they talk about, Wild Girl."

"I think so. Grand-mere Celia would have known. Estelle is that same way. More wolf than woman. But what does that make our Libellue? More fae? Or more wolf?"

"I don't know," said Andre.

*

The music stopped so that the musicians could take a break. Brian stood up and asked for silence. After numerous bad jokes about wolves, sheep and Canadians, people quieted down.

"Marie, Andre, there is this cake these women work on. It needs cut. You think you can do that?" Brian asked.

"Aye! I bring my scalpel," said Andre laughing. He pulled Marie up to the table where the cakes sat. On top of one was a little wolf and a Peter Pan. The movie had just come to local theaters and everyone had teased Andre by calling him Peter. Very carefully, the cake toppers were removed and Andre did pull out an old scalpel to cut the cake. He very carefully cut two slices. One for him and the other for Marie. They fed each other the slices without too much silliness and then began to cut pieces for everyone else. After cake was passed out to all who wanted it, the music began again. Marie danced with anyone who could snatch her from Andre. Granted, Andre had no lack of partners either. The only one more popular on the dance floor was Libellue. When she wasn't in someone's arms, she was swaying in rhythm to the music and smiling at Raphael or Tomas. When she looked up at Pierre, they stuck tongues out at each other and laughed.

"Ah, that was a ver good night," Brian said to Natalie as they walked home. Jenny, Tilly and Alice were cleaning up.

"Aye, a ver good night. You want go running?" she asked.

"You feel good enough? Not tired?"

"Non. Feel ver good tonight."

They walked into their crowded cabin with babies nestled down everywhere. It was like just after the war, only the children were bigger. In their room, they shed their clothes, shifted and leapt out the window.

Wolf ran. Neither he or his mate were fast. They ran up to their meadow and rested on the rock which over looked the area. Wolf nuzzled his mate. She licked his muzzle and nipped at his ear. He set his paw on hers and rested his head on top of her head. They lay down and slept.

*

The wolves ran as quickly as they could through the downpour. It had started in the middle of the night and Wolf had tried to curl up in a nearby cave, but the waters poured in the back. She nipped at him and headed home. Wolf followed. By the time they got to the wooden dens, they were soaked and shivering. The window they'd leapt out of was shut. Wolf ran around to the front followed by the she wolf. They leapt to the porch and shook off as much of the rain as they could. Wolf whined and scratched at the door to be let in.

Jenny heard the thud of paws and ran to the door. She had hoped her parents had found shelter, but when she opened the door, she wasn't surprised to find two soaked wolves. "Get inside!" she said and went for towels. By the time she came back, there were a trail of muddy paw prints headed to her parents room. "Maman, you need towels?"

"Noh, we havh shome," Natalie answered, still half shifted.

Jenny walked back to the kitchen and began to make hot water for coffee. It didn't take long for her parents to join her. Wet hair, bathrobes and slippers and the scent of wet dog. "Oh Maman!"

"You... you be quiet. Don wake those babies. All of them awake in the house, this rain, not good," said Natalie.

Jenny and Brian nodded. They sat in the kitchen warming up and drinking coffee as the house slowly woke. By 8am, there was a line of people to eat in shifts. Libellue sat on her Papa's lap while Ann was held by Marie. Alice and Ysabel were cooking. Jenny had done her shift and was laying down for a nap.

"When you go back that Everette?" Alice asked.

"End of the week. Andre he has work. Me, I play house wife."

"That not so bad. You need get use to that Everette."

Marie nodded.

*

Brian and Natalie had gone back to bed after breakfast. Natalie had gotten chilled, and they decided that bed was the warmest place for her. She rolled against Brian's arm, and her fever woke him up nearly instantly.

"Nat, you okay?" he asked.

"Non," she said softly. "Hurt all over. Need that willow bark."

"I... I get that. Be right back," he said as he crawled out of bed. He dressed quickly and went to find Andre. Andre was sitting on the front porch, watching the rain pour down. He'd escaped the noise of twelve little ones playing for a moment.

"Andre, Natalie. She is sick."

"Oh. Just a second," he said scrambling up out of the chair and following Brian inside. On the way, he grabbed his medical bag. Walking into the bedroom, he could see that Natalie was feverish. Andre took her temperature. 105F.

"Brian, go get some towels. See if Marie or Jenny have any ice. If not, cold water. We have to get her temperature down."

"Aye." Brian headed back to the kitchen.

Andre checked Natalie out as best he could. She'd nod or moan, but wasn't talking much which didn't make Andre's job easy. Her heart was a little fluttery, but that could have been because of the fever. He noticed that she moaned when he tested her hands and wrists. He wasn't sure though if the joint pain had to do with the fever or arthritis. At 58, Natalie had worked hard most of her life. Her hands were farm rough and had taken lot of abuse. Her palms had rough spots that corresponded more to a wolf's pads than a human's hand. For once he wished he knew a bit more veterinary medicine. If he learned anything over the years was that with shifters, you had two patients wrapped up in one.

Brian came back in with wet cloths in a bowl. Andre took one and placed it on Natalie's throat and chest. He took a second one and placed it on her head. He checked her pulse and while still high, was beginning to settle a little.

"Brian, does Jenny have aspirin? Penicillin?"

"I ask. What is wrong?"

"It might be the flu from getting so wet. Maybe pneumonia. Just not sure as it came on so fast. I know she's been tired lately. Any other problems?" Andre asked.

"I... I don' think so. I go ask Jenny. Be right back," Brian said as he left the bedroom.

Fifteen minutes later, Jenny was back with Jelka, Maria and Brian. Marie had bedding, Jelka tea and Jenny had the medicines. Brian just stood at the head of the bed.

"Natalie, you gon' be okay," Brian said.

"Aye? Hurt. Cohld." she said.

Andre looked puzzled and then realized that Natalie's vocal cords had partially shifted. That's why she hadn't talked much. He knew from past dealings with shifters that they often shifted to heal. He hoped she didn't do that too soon. He got her to swallow some aspirin and then gave her a shot of penicillin. Now all they could do was wait.

"Brian, let's have the girls make sure she's comfortable and we'll go get some food."

"Aye Andre," Brian said. He kissed Natalie on the head and left the women to change Natalie out of the soaked nightgown and bedding.

Jenny and Jelka helped settle Natalie as Marie took the bedding off to be washed. Natalie was sitting up and drinking mint tea.

"Maman, you never been sick like this. What you think wrong?" Jenny asked.

"I don' know. Mebbe that rain. Mebbe that trip." Natalie took another sip of tea. She was still so hot that the tea felt cool. "Mebbe that damn tick bite I got."

"Tick? You forget your pennyroyal?"

"Non! We miss one. Behind my knee. Pull it out, but two days later, I have big red spot. I treat it, it go away. Ever since though, my joints ache. Don' know if it that bite or jus' old age. My hands they have that arthritis."

Jenny nodded and checked her mother's knee. No sign of a bite or scar. Everyone got ticks in the spring. Some got sick. Some didn't. Just like with spiders. "You finish that tea. I go feed this tribe. Jelka stay with you okay?"

"Aye. Read me my book?" Natalie asked pointing to a small nightstand where a book rested.

Jelka nodded and picked up the book. It was Raymond Chandler's The Long Goodbye. Jelka opened the book and began to read about Philip Marlowe's trouble with cops and a crazy gangster.

Brian came in to check on Natalie. She was asleep. Jelka whispered that her temperature was down a little and the medicines must be working. He thanked Jelka and took her place beside Natalie. Andre came in a little while later and checked on Natalie. He gave her more aspirin, and penicillin. He also checked on Brian and found him fine.

"Are you going to sleep in the chair?"

"Non. I will hold Natalie. That way, she need me, I am right there. I see you in the morning," Brian said. Andre said goodnight and left.

Brian put on pajamas and crawled in bed with Natalie.

"I'm sorry to be sick," she said.

"It happens. You have good family. Good doctor. It be okay," he whispered in her ear. He cradled her in his arms and after a long time went to sleep. "Hope she be okay."

In the morning, the fever was back and Natalie was coughing. Brian grabbed his bathrobe and went for Andre. They were back in a few minutes.

"How do your lungs feel?" Andre asked Natalie.

"Wet. It hard to breathe."

Andre checked her lungs and found them congested. He gave her more penicillin and aspirin and then motioned for Brian to come outside with him for a moment.

"What is it?" Brian asked.

"Pneumonia, Or at least the start of it. We should really move her to a hospital," said Andre.

"The nearest hospital that isn't one room is Calgary. It is nearly 4 hours, mebbe more."

"I know, but I don't know if I can cope with pneumonia here," said Andre. "If a lung gets too full or collapses, I have very little in a way to fix it here."

"I know. There is other problem. We take her to Calgary, she no longer your patient. What happen she shift? We don have no shifter doctors there."

"Damn. I didn't think of that. You... you don't think she'd shift do you?" Andre asked.

"Aye. She nearly shift last night in her sleep. I don' want to lose Natalie to some damn sickness, but don' want her shot for being a wolf in hospital."

"Shit. Let me think on this. I need to talk to Jenny and Tilly too. Can you get them for me while I talk to Natalie?"

"Aye." Brian left the kitchen and headed for Jenny's house.

Andre walked back to Natalie's room. She was sitting up trying to breathe between coughing fits. That she was coughing was good. However, she looked like her temperature was going up.

"Natalie, I need to talk to you."

"Aye, I am ver' sick. You afraid I die. Probably you right."

"I want to take you to hospital in Calgary. I..." was as far as Andre got before she put her hand on his.

"Non. No hospital. I shift too easy. You do what you need. I try not to die on you," she said.

"Natalie, I'm afraid I might have to drain your lungs. I don't have what I need to do that. You have pneumonia."

"Aye. I know. I nurse people through this. I have aches too. All my joints hurt. That is not pneumonia. That something else."

"Yes, and I don't know what that is without tests," admitted Andre.

"Talk that Jenny. We do more than you think here." Natalie broke off to cough and then spit out the phlegm. Andre held the bowl for her and then gave her a drink of tea.

"Brian has gone for Jenny."

"Good."

Andre sat with Natalie until Brian came back with Jenny and Tilly. Both women checked on Natalie and then turned to Andre.

"She has pneumonia and a fever. Do you have any way to drain her lungs if that becomes necessary? Or a way to do blood work?" Andre asked.

"Aye. Local anesthetic, simple surgery tools and a laboratory in Lethbridge," said Jenny. "Maman, she shift too easy to go that hospital."

"That is what I told him," Natalie said between coughs.

"Shifters need a hospital," said Andre.

Jaisen
Jaisen
691 Followers